Division I, R1 playoff thread

Honestly, I don't see that as an upset. First off, I agree, I believe that both will win their 2 games to get there. Second, the schedule/gauntlet and the way Ignatius has hung with EVERY team they played gives me no reason to believe that they are an inferior team to Medina. There is no way that I can look at that schedule and scores that Ignatius has gone through this season, and say that they are not equal to Medina. I have that as a 50/50 game. Ignatius has been sneaky good. And their schedule proves it. I hope that D1R1 has an amazing semifinal and final that people talk about for years to come. Probably the best way I could put this is: I would not be surprised if Medina won. I would not be surprised if Ignatius won.
I absolutely think that St. Ignatius can beat Medina. I will disagree, however, that St. Ignatius is as good as Medina this year. Remember Medina was up on Ignatius 34-13 at the half last year in the playoff game before trying to run out the ball (something that granted Medina did have success doing at the end of last year, even though Allar and the passing game was the bread and butter). That's IMO the worst thing to do against a team like Ignatius that you know is not going to quit.

Medina's schedule isn't as good as Ignatius' but one of the teams you are giving Ignatius credit for hanging around was Mentor, a team that Medina beat 35-14. I'll give the nod to anybody who says Mentor was a better team in Week 2 than they were in Week 7, but that was still the only other time since Week 2 that Mentor was close to full strength.

Plus, FWIW, calpreps has the Greater Cleveland Conference as the No. 2 rated league in Ohio (way behind the GCL South ... and slightly above the GMC). Medina ran through the league with no games being close. They were about as dominant as Mentor had been the previous two years in league play. Mentor went on to win R1 in both of those seasons.

Medina also did have wins over the champion of the Suburban National (ranked No. 8 league in Ohio per Calpreps) and the SWC (the No. 10 league in Ohio). And neither game was particularly close.

But this is probably a discussion to revisit in two weeks if either team makes it.

I absolutely think that St. Ignatius can beat Medina. I will disagree, however, that St. Ignatius is as good as Medina this year. Remember Medina was up on Ignatius 34-13 at the half last year in the playoff game before trying to run out the ball (something that granted Medina did have success doing at the end of last year, even though Allar and the passing game was the bread and butter). That's IMO the worst thing to do against a team like Ignatius that you know is not going to quit.

Medina's schedule isn't as good as Ignatius' but one of the teams you are giving Ignatius credit for hanging around was Mentor, a team that Medina beat 35-14. I'll give the nod to anybody who says Mentor was a better team in Week 2 than they were in Week 7, but that was still the only other time since Week 2 that Mentor was close to full strength.

Plus, FWIW, calpreps has the Greater Cleveland Conference as the No. 2 rated league in Ohio (way behind the GCL South ... and slightly above the GMC). Medina ran through the league with no games being close. They were about as dominant as Mentor had been the previous two years in league play. Mentor went on to win R1 in both of those seasons.

Medina also did have wins over the champion of the Suburban National (ranked No. 8 league in Ohio per Calpreps) and the SWC (the No. 10 league in Ohio). And neither game was particularly close.

But this is probably a discussion to revisit in two weeks if either team makes it.
Ignatius has a lot of kids with heart, and a pesky defense that is well coached and fundamentally sound. The kids won’t quit or be intimidated.

Medina has a lot of these things as well, plus talent. It’s a game Ignatius can win, but probably a 70/30 matchup for Medina. I would much prefer the Cats’ chances in a rematch with Ed’s than in a tilt with the Bees.

Ignatius has a lot of kids with heart, and a pesky defense that is well coached and fundamentally sound. The kids won’t quit or be intimidated.

Medina has a lot of these things as well, plus talent. It’s a game Ignatius can win, but probably a 70/30 matchup for Medina. I would much prefer the Cats’ chances in a rematch with Ed’s than in a tilt with the Bees.
In most years, Medina would be viewed as the little engine that could (despite being one of the biggest schools in the state) in a matchup with Ignatius (or any of the heavy hitters in Ohio).

This is not that year. And I don't think you will hear any excuses from anybody in Medina if this team does not live up to the playoff expectations they have. Honestly, even an injury to Allar would not automatically be the end of it. He is why they are ranked the no. 1 in the polls, but there is still a lot of talent around him. Can they run off 6 if he gets hurt, probably not. But they still would be a top 10 or so team in D1 even with just average QB play, which they may still have behind him.

I think a lot of people assume they are a one-man show, and due to Medina's lack of success and reputation as a historical underachiever despite great football demographics, probably fair.

So here are a few things I will mention regarding what you wrote back.
1. You wrote that LAST year Medina was upon Ignatius 34-13. The final was 33-26 Medina. So even if they were up by the score you state, which I was at the game and really don't remember Medina being up by a large score. I could be wrong, but I honestly don not remember that at all.
Also If they were, that again shows what Iggy is made of.
Also I have seen both play this year. I honestly don't think Medina is quite as good this year as last. But we are talking such a small difference. And it is more of a gut feel. Also: last year Medina was peaking and got on a rare type of roll. Those don't happen every year. There was just magic that hit that team at the right time. We will see if they can capture that again.
2. The team I am giving them credit for hanging around (as you wrote - Mentor) was a fully healthy top 5 in the state Mentor team. Not the injury riddled, playing much of the season with a 2nd or 3rd string Qb. And they also hung with (Springfield, Hoban, Mt. St. J, St.Ed's, Moeller , and St X.). That is Brutal and very impressive.
3. I put zero stock in Calpreps. They have probably not seen any of these teams play all year long. Iggy or Mentor as well as the other teams on their schedules. That matters. You can't rate/rank teams without seeing them.

We can revisit this in 2 weeks for sure. But remember: I wrote I would not be surprised if Medina won, I would not be surprised if Ignatius won. My whole point really is that Ignatius is under the radar, they have played and hung with and beaten some of Ohio's best, and are sneaky good. I think many people wrote them off because of talent. They are not the most talented team in R1. They are not the Ignatius that was ranked in the top 3 in the state every year. But in comparison to what they will be playing, they are pretty close to equal strictly based on their "on the field" production/results THIS season. And I really don't think that can be disputed. That is factual. Not a Calpreps poll.

The other factor I will throw in the equation is weather. Ignatius is built on running the football, and defense. Medina needs to throw the ball. If they meet and it's a cold, rainy, windy night: advantage Ignatius.

Last edited:
Ignatius will go as far as the defense can carry them. Not an elite group by any means, but tough and well coached.

Having watched all the Region 1 teams, I believe Medina is the team to beat in Region 1. Eds has the kids to match up, but Ramos still struggles in certain areas of the passing game.

Honestly most of these 1st games are a waste of time. Is Lorain pumped to play Eds? Really?

This year I think you could put Ed's, Medina , and Ignatius against each other a play each other and they all could be 1-1 versus the other 2. I know on paper Ed's and Medina are the top talent dogs. But Ignatius has just impressed me with their brutal schedule and was right with the big dog Ed's and beat the big dog St. X. There is no way to just count them out. Even if they go out quick, they outplayed their talent this season. That is coaching and kids that just work and play hard every week and believe they can beat anyone. That is a powerful combination.

So here are a few things I will mention regarding what you wrote back.
1. You wrote that LAST year Medina was upon Ignatius 34-13. The final was 33-26 Medina. So even if they were up by the score you state, which I was at the game and really don't remember Medina being up by a large score. I could be wrong, but I honestly don not remember that at all.
Also If they were, that again shows what Iggy is made of.
Also I have seen both play this year. I honestly don't think Medina is quite as good this year as last. But we are talking such a small difference. And it is more of a gut feel. Also: last year Medina was peaking and got on a rare type of roll. Those don't happen every year. There was just magic that hit that team at the right time. We will see if they can capture that again.
2. The team I am giving them credit for hanging around (as you wrote - Mentor) was a fully healthy top 5 in the state Mentor team. Not the injury riddled, playing much of the season with a 2nd or 3rd string Qb. And they also hung with (Springfield, Hoban, Mt. St. J, St.Ed's, Moeller , and St X.). That is Brutal and very impressive.
3. I put zero stock in Calpreps. They have probably not seen any of these teams play all year long. Iggy or Mentor as well as the other teams on their schedules. That matters. You can't rate/rank teams without seeing them.

We can revisit this in 2 weeks for sure. But remember: I wrote I would not be surprised if Medina won, I would not be surprised if Ignatius won. My whole point really is that Ignatius is under the radar, they have played and hung with and beaten some of Ohio's best, and are sneaky good. I think many people wrote them off because of talent. They are not the most talented team in R1. They are not the Ignatius that was ranked in the top 3 in the state every year. But in comparison to what they will be playing, they are pretty close to equal strictly based on their "on the field" production/results THIS season. And I really don't think that can be disputed. That is factual. Not a Calpreps poll.

The other factor I will throw in the equation is weather. Ignatius is built on running the football, and defense. Medina needs to throw the ball. If they meet and it's a cold, rainy, windy night: advantage Ignatius.
1. Ok, it was 33-14, not 34-13. As for Medina not being as good this year as last, this is not homerism, you thinking that is the case is simply a pipe dream. Medina last year was left for dead after three weeks. They barely got by a Solon team in the last regular season game before they made their run. This year, no game was within 3 TDs. Not saying they are an unstoppable force, but if we are just comparing to last year's team, then well, they are much better than last year. It's not debatable.

2. Mentor didn't have their No. 2 or No. 3 QB against Medina. It was their No. 1. Yes, he was coming off of injury. But Mentor also had their best playmaker (Evan Harper) touching the ball 20-plus times for the first all year (and to this point, only time, that game). Something I would argue they should have done earlier. He is a beast, and the reason why I think they have a chance at beating Ignatius on Friday.

3. Calpreps or not, I wasn't using it as gospel, but Medina is hardly untested.

1. Ok, it was 33-14, not 34-13. As for Medina not being as good this year as last, this is not homerism, you thinking that is the case is simply a pipe dream. Medina last year was left for dead after three weeks. They barely got by a Solon team in the last regular season game before they made their run. This year, no game was within 3 TDs. Not saying they are an unstoppable force, but if we are just comparing to last year's team, then well, they are much better than last year. It's not debatable.

2. Mentor didn't have their No. 2 or No. 3 QB against Medina. It was their No. 1. Yes, he was coming off of injury. But Mentor also had their best playmaker (Evan Harper) touching the ball 20-plus times for the first all year (and to this point, only time, that game). Something I would argue they should have done earlier. He is a beast, and the reason why I think they have a chance at beating Ignatius on Friday.

3. Calpreps or not, I wasn't using it as gospel, but Medina is hardly untested.
I agree about Mentor. Its probably the game i'm most excited for in any division/region. They won the first match up and if they're healthy i see no reason why they can't repeat that.

One thing I have seen this year, Medina's Defense is fast and talented and they do not shy from contact. Everyone talks about Allar, he has lived up to the hype, and the Offense, but the Defense is the big improvement. The Defense probably flies under the radar because of the Offense, just don't short sell that group of kids!

Ignatius beats mentor in a close one ..they played some good Football down the stretch. Would not be surprised if Glenoak upsets Stow …… I know they will be well prepared. I am also looking forward to Brunswick Midpark matchup …that should be a good Game with very little defense. The regional final Medina and Saint Edward… That will be a good one. I still think Eds Wins this region.
Maybe you could tell your buddy at Glen Oak to teach his team to lose with some class/dignity. That was as embarrassing a display in the last 2:30 minutes of the game as anyone is ever going to see. The AD at Glen Oak should be EMBARASSED by how his team represented the school.

The 5 through 12 games seemed to hold up their end. Congrats to Berea-Midpark for pulling the only upset (in terms of seed). I thought Brunswick would win, but been around long enough to remember that both Berea and Midpark used to give Brunswick more issues than they should have as separate schools back in the Pioneer Conference days.

Next up is Ed's. Sorry Berea-Midpark, should not be close.

Nor should Medina-Cleveland Heights, though Heights has the top-end talent to maybe make it interesting. Still, Medina losing this game would be a stunner and would basically erase the feel-good story for this class of beating Ed's-Iggy in back to back weeks last year.

The other two games should be good. McKinley-Jackson is a rematch from a down-to-the-wire game a couple weeks back. Doesn't seem like any reason why the rematch shouldn't also go down to the end.

Stow-Ignatius, though, is by far the game of the R1 week (just as Mentor-Ignatius was this week). Stow has teetered on being a player in R1 in recent years (overall more than Medina if we are going back the past 10 years). Medina broke through last year by beating both Iggy and Ed's, can Stow do kind of the same this year, starting with an upset of Ignatius? It's hard to bet against Ignatius, but Stow is also on a bit of roll.

Medina and Eds. By 30 or more, Ignatius very comfortably over Stow, McKinley Jackson close..McKinley wins
Your buddy at Glen Oak call Stow yet and apologize for that embarrassment the last few minutes of the game, or were they just PREPARED

I think the stow-iggy game is closer than you think.
It could be. But not having their starting D1 Qb will make winning very difficult. Ignatius's strength is defense and stopping the run. That is what Stow likes to do. I don't bet, but if I did, my bet would be on the Ignatius defense to stop/control the Stow run game. Stow does have a very explosive RB. And they do have a solid OL. And they will score. But this is where that Ignatius schedule pays off. They have seen numerous teams that are much better than Stow and beaten them. I wish Stow had their starting Qb and would be able to get some chunk plays in the passing game. That would help their cause of winning this game. If Stow can play great defense, that will be another key to winning. And Ignatius' starting Qb may be out as well. But that is why they play the game. Again the main goal for me is that both teams come off that field with no major injuries. Good luck to both teams. The winner probably gets Medina. Then probably St. Ed's. So the challenges each week just get larger. All good stuff!

I think the stow-iggy game is closer than you think.
It could very well be closer… It all depends on how Balanced Stow is. They have done a great job the last four weeks running the football but they had superior personnel and were able to just run the football.IMO They are playing to the Strengths of this team.Using big personnel has made them much better and also helped them defensively By keeping a very average secondary off the field. Their front seven is very stout.They can run the ball and can stop the run……You cannot be one dimensional against the big boys in division one…… You can do that in the league that they are in.If they can throw the ball At least efficiently it will be a tight game… If they cannot throw it at all I stand by Iggy winning comfortably. Ignatius has gotten a lot better the last part of the season and I think that will also be a factor in addition to a superior schedule. Hoping for a great football game…Both have plenty of good football players and enough talent to take the next step. I also believe that Medina may also struggle as we move on because they cannot run the football at all and it goes back to the same point of being One dimensional. Not this week …in a week or 2.It is going to be interesting how this region plays out. Good luck and health to all teams.