Division I, R1 playoff thread

Same. All this weekend has showed us is that the Eds/X final is not a lock. Medina, Ignatius, Moeller, Springfield, Pickerington Central, and a handful of other Central Ohio teams are also on the list of teams that could reasonably be in the final.
I don't know if all of Ohio football is down this year, but none of Pick Central's opponents impressed me. Many were downright awful. I thought that Elder and North Allegheny would be great, but they've both been disappointing. Massillon was good. Plus, I have not seen that much individual talent either. Pick North vs. PC may have been the worst display of unexciting football all season -- until literally the last minute of the game. I'm hoping to see a PC vs UA Regional final, but I would not bet on that happening. It will be interesting to see how far PC can go with zero playmakers on offense, but an incredibly talented defense.

I don't know if all of Ohio football is down this year, but none of Pick Central's opponents impressed me. Many were downright awful. I thought that Elder and North Allegheny would be great, but they've both been disappointing. Massillon was good. Plus, I have not seen that much individual talent either. Pick North vs. PC may have been the worst display of unexciting football all season -- until literally the last minute of the game. I'm hoping to see a PC vs UA Regional final, but I would not bet on that happening. It will be interesting to see how far PC can go with zero playmakers on offense, but an incredibly talented defense.
Ohio football is down this year, for sure.

Ohio football is down this year, for sure
It's funny because two weeks ago both St. Xavier and St. Edward were both ranked in (or near) the top 25 nationally in the Massey/CalPrep rankings and it was a forgone conclusion it was going to be an X-Ed's final and nobody was close.

Now, it's a down year.

It's funny because two weeks ago both St. Xavier and St. Edward were both ranked in (or near) the top 25 nationally in the Massey/CalPrep rankings and it was a forgone conclusion it was going to be an X-Ed's final and nobody was close.

Now, it's a down year.
There have been far stronger Ed’s and X teams in the past.

I realize that, and????
There’s a lot of parity, mainly due to a down year for high end talent. I look at Toledo CC, for example in the region I follow the closest and I see a talented Toledo Central Catholic team, but not loaded with the talent of their past teams. Same in D2 with Massillon, LaSalle, Hoban, etc. Benedictine has a talented team, but would they rank in the top 20 all time Bengal teams? Doubtful. It’s just not an up year in Ohio. It happens.

There’s a lot of parity, mainly due to a down year for high end talent. I look at Toledo CC, for example in the region I follow the closest and I see a talented Toledo Central Catholic team, but not loaded with the talent of their past teams. Same in D2 with Massillon, LaSalle, Hoban, etc. Benedictine has a talented team, but would they rank in the top 20 all time Bengal teams? Doubtful. It’s just not an up year in Ohio. It happens.
I get what you are saying, in a way. Might as well add Mentor to that because this is definitely not one of their better teams. Go ahead and add Avon, though they seem to have reloaded.

What about the programs who are more talented, though. Do they not count?

I'm not even trying to argue that this is some banner year, just that I don't see it as being much different overall than pretty much any in the past decade. If you want to go ahead and say that Ohio football is down from the early 2000s and previous, I'm with you.

I get what you are saying, in a way. Might as well add Mentor to that because this is definitely not one of their better teams. Go ahead and add Avon, though they seem to have reloaded.

What about the programs who are more talented, though. Do they not count?

I'm not even trying to argue that this is some banner year, just that I don't see it as being much different overall than pretty much any in the past decade. If you want to go ahead and say that Ohio football is down from the early 2000s and previous, I'm with you.
I would say more in line with your last paragraph. But it does feel like a down year when measured against recent years, too. There’s just not as many dominant teams or individual players as we’ve seen in other years, IMO. That’s not going to diminish the seasons of the teams that make the deep runs and win the championships, though. You still get the memories and the trophies. They count just the same as any season.

I would say more in line with your last paragraph. But it does feel like a down year when measured against recent years, too. There’s just not as many dominant teams or individual players as we’ve seen in other years, IMO. That’s not going to diminish the seasons of the teams that make the deep runs and win the championships, though. You still get the memories and the trophies. They count just the same as any season.
You are absolutely trying to diminish any championships, regardless if you say you aren't. As for dominant teams, I guess I could go back and see how the sites (Massey/CalPreps) rank them to see if that is the case. Even then, its still subjective.

As far as players, instead of going off a "seem," went back and looked up the past five years on 247's website (this is the composite rankings from all the reputable ranking sites they track). I don't see that much of a difference.

Class of 2022: 7 in their top 250, 12 4 stars
Class of 2021: 5 in their top 250, 9 4 stars
Class of 2020: 4 in their top 250, 6 4 stars
Class of 2019: 5 in their top 250, 13 4 stars
Class of 2018: 7 in their top 250, 12 4 stars

If anything this years class is the strongest in 3 years at the top.

You are absolutely trying to diminish any championships, regardless if you say you aren't. As for dominant teams, I guess I could go back and see how the sites (Massey/CalPreps) rank them to see if that is the case. Even then, its still subjective.

As far as players, instead of going off a "seem," went back and looked up the past five years on 247's website (this is the composite rankings from all the reputable ranking sites they track). I don't see that much of a difference.

I disagree about diminishing championships, though it is routinely done. I’m sure Moeller fans, for example, will say some of the Faust teams were stronger than a more recent champ. Heck, some schools will have teams they believe were better than one of their state champs, but were knocked out in the playoffs by an elite team. You can’t take away the championships, though.

You really can't use those numbers as a true barometer regarding whether Ohio FB is down or not. We all know about Florida and how great they are supposed to be in HS football. They have a ton of individual talent, but not a ton of GREAT teams. (not counting IMG). Ohio feels down to me as well, but not because of the number of 4 star players, but because overall there are not that many stud teams. Just 1 mans opinion.

Mentor will beat medina.
I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a midnight toker. But I guess if they played, anything is possible and there have been bigger upsets than that in the world of sports. But don't bet your house on Mentor because you probably won't have a place to live.

I believe Eds and only Eds can match up with Medina- because of their secondary and front.

Ignatius has a good defense but as shown in last year's playoffs, Allar had little trouble moving the ball.

You really can't use those numbers as a true barometer regarding whether Ohio FB is down or not. We all know about Florida and how great they are supposed to be in HS football. They have a ton of individual talent, but not a ton of GREAT teams. (not counting IMG). Ohio feels down to me as well, but not because of the number of 4 star players, but because overall there are not that many stud teams. Just 1 mans opinion.
I only brought up individual talent because cjb said that it seems like individual talent is also down. I didn't know one way or the other off the top of my head to see if the state's talent has been going downhill by the recruiting services, so I looked up the past 5 years and that does not appear to be the case. Going further and looking at how many kids are receiving offers (or committed to D1 schools) also appears to be in line from recent years. I'll readily admit that these numbers are way down from say the mid-2000s when Ohio was usually churning out upwards of 5-6 top 100 prospects and then 25 or so 4-star recruits.

As for teams. From seeing your posts over the years, you obviously have seen a ton of football, especially NE Ohio football, so I won't say you are wrong. But I'll counter by saying that all the usual big Catholic D1 powers all are in the mix (Elder, maybe not, though they did beat Moeller). Unless all those schools are consistently turning over and having their best teams (or one of their best teams ever) on a yearly basis, it's about what you expect from them. All are still very good, and outside of Ed's, I doubt any one of them has had their best ever team within the past 10 years.

This year also may seem down because a couple of public programs that have built big brand-name recognition seem to be significantly down - Mentor and Colerain - to maybe a little down in Pickerington Central's case. On the other hand, a couple of lesser brand names look like they are filling those spots. Medina (for Mentor) in NEO); Marysville (for PC ... maybe there because PC doesn't seem too far down in Central Ohio); Lakota West (for Colerain). I have not seen Marysville or Lakota West to say for sure if they are filling the normal PC or Colerain gap, but I've seen Medina enough to say that this year, they are on the level of some of Mentor's better teams of the past 20 years. That's not prisoner of the moment either, I've been saying for 4-5 years that this group of kids they have now has had the chance to do something special in 2021. And I'm not even saying they will roll everybody to a state title, because they should face solid competition potentially all the way from the R1 quarterfinals to as far as they do advance.

Plus, the OhioRiver poster seems to rub people the wrong way, but it also seems like Springfield may have its best team they ever had, and one that has been close the past couple of years. On top of that are the growing Columbus area D1s that for the most part are collectively ahead of where they were 20 years ago.

I guess that's a very long-winded way of saying that I don't believe that Ohio football, this year, has suddenly dropped off. Compared to 20 years ago, yes. Compared to the past 5-10?? Not seeing much of a difference.

On last thing I will say, too, is that I've seen a lot more games this year outside of just GCC/Eds/Iggy/state tournament, etc. The one thing that has stuck out to me is how much improved some teams were compared to last time I saw them (10 years ago). Valley Forge is night and day different from last time I saw them play (when they were abysmal). Got a RB committed to Purdue and another very good running back and executing a Wing-T offense that could be a challenge for teams in R6 (not a favorite there, but I doubt they get embarrassed). Lakewood as well. Last time I saw them, again they were abysmal. Now at least they have this big 6-6, 265 animal running down plays all over the field along with a solid and athletic QB and a very fast and quick RB. Elyria Catholic has a big 6-6, 215 pound WR who looks like a future NFL TE (he's committed to YSU, but IMO looks way above that level). Haven't seen Rocky River, but they have a D1 kid (believe committed to Wake Forest). That is just the GLC, which had been kind of the butt of jokes in being cast offs.

From the scores I'm seeing so far, it looks like St Eds will be the 1 seed and Medina the 2 seed.

With Stow winning and Jackson losing (McKinley likely losing tomorrow too), the Summit County Bulldogs should be the 3 seed. McKinley should be the 4 and Jackson the 5.

St Ignatius looks like a likely 6 seed with Cleveland Heights (as long as they expectedly beat Shaker) just behind as the 7 seed. Brunswick looks to be hosting Berea in the 8/9 game. Elyria's win over Midview along with all three of their non-conference opponents winning (Lorain, Bedford, Elyria Catholic) should cement them just ahead of Mentor as the 10 seed. Mentor looks like they have a hold on the 11 seed. Here is how I see it shaping up:

1. St Eds
2. Medina
3. Stow
4. McKinley
5. Jackson
6. St Ignatius
7. Cleveland Heights
8. Brunswick
9. Berea
10. Elyria
11. Mentor
12. Strongsville
13. Solon
14. Shaker
15. GlenOak
16. Lorain

Some potential interesting first round matchups if these hold up. A couple of Fed/GCC games. An old Pioneer matchup renewed between Brunswick/Berea. An old LEL matchup renewed between Heights and Elyria. And biggest of all, a rematch between Mentor and St Ignatius. It would be the 5th time the two had a "take two" playoff rematch since 2011. Amazingly, the loser of the regular season game won the playoff rematch in 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2017. If the two play at Byers next Friday, St Ignatius should be a 2-3 score favorite and will look to continue that trend.

From the scores I'm seeing so far, it looks like St Eds will be the 1 seed and Medina the 2 seed.

With Stow winning and Jackson losing (McKinley likely losing tomorrow too), the Summit County Bulldogs should be the 3 seed. McKinley should be the 4 and Jackson the 5.

St Ignatius looks like a likely 6 seed with Cleveland Heights (as long as they expectedly beat Shaker) just behind as the 7 seed. Brunswick looks to be hosting Berea in the 8/9 game. Elyria's win over Midview along with all three of their non-conference opponents winning (Lorain, Bedford, Elyria Catholic) should cement them just ahead of Mentor as the 10 seed. Mentor looks like they have a hold on the 11 seed. Here is how I see it shaping up:

1. St Eds
2. Medina
3. Stow
4. McKinley
5. Jackson
6. St Ignatius
7. Cleveland Heights
8. Brunswick
9. Berea
10. Elyria
11. Mentor
12. Strongsville
13. Solon
14. Shaker
15. GlenOak
16. Lorain

Some potential interesting first round matchups if these hold up. A couple of Fed/GCC games. An old Pioneer matchup renewed between Brunswick/Berea. An old LEL matchup renewed between Heights and Elyria. And biggest of all, a rematch between Mentor and St Ignatius. It would be the 5th time the two had a "take two" playoff rematch since 2011. Amazingly, the loser of the regular season game won the playoff rematch in 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2017. If the two play at Byers next Friday, St Ignatius should be a 2-3 score favorite and will look to continue that trend.
I'll take that draw....well, until week 13 that is

I'll take that draw....well, until week 13 that is
It is a winnable draw for Ignatius, agreed. But as a 6 seed, it isn't as winnable as it could be. Of all the teams that could've ended up as the 11 seed, Mentor is clearly the best. Of all the teams that could've jumped to the 3 seed, Stow seems much better than Jackson or McKinley. St Ignatius is the rightful favorite to make it to Week 13 with Medina. But if I were Ignatius, a draw that saw them playing Elyria in Week 11 and possibly a Fed team in Week 12 would be even more winnable than what I project their path will be.

1. St Eds
2. Medina
3. Stow
4. McKinley
5. Jackson
6. St Ignatius
7. Cleveland Heights
8. Brunswick
9. Berea
10. Elyria
11. Mentor
12. Strongsville
13. Solon
14. Shaker
15. GlenOak
16. Lorain

With Stow rebounding nicely with two big wins in the last three weeks after that unexplainable loss to Wadsworth, it looks like 4 of the top 5 teams in the region will be down in the bottom half of the bracket.

Yes, I'm keeping Mentor in the top 5, assuming they have both Snow and Harper healthy.

Ed's should roll through the top. I don't see anybody up there who can challenge them.

Medina, after what they did to Solon tonight to cap off what has already been a dominant regular season (read it was there first undefeated season since going 2-0 in 1918, lol), is the favorite in the bottom but it won't be easy.

It looks like they will play Shaker in round one. Should be an easy blowout but Shaker has been pesky a couple times in the GCC days, granted those were no where near what this Medina team is.

Cleveland Heights in the quarterfinals should be a win, but again the schools have some recent history after opening the season against each other in 2018 and 2019 (with the 2019 game being a lot closer than the 21-10 final appeared). That would be a huge upset but wouldn't be an all-time shocker since Heights has a ton of talent.

Luckily they will only have to face one of Stow, Iggy or Mentor. Three teams who all will be out for revenge and all three capable of beating Medina if they play their A game and Medina is a little off.

Not just because I support Medina, but hopefully we will see Ed's-Medina Pt. 3. Remember Ed's blew out the Baby Bees in 2019, but Medina (mostly with the same faces as sophomores then) did score 38 on the Eagles. Then last year as juniors, Medina shocked Ed's in a game that went down to the final play. It would be fitting for the rubbermatch to happen in the R1 title game.

Not just because I support Medina, but hopefully we will see Ed's-Medina Pt. 3. Remember Ed's blew out the Baby Bees in 2019, but Medina (mostly with the same faces as sophomores then) did score 38 on the Eagles. Then last year as juniors, Medina shocked Ed's in a game that went down to the final play. It would be fitting for the rubbermatch to happen in the R1 title game.
If Mentor can’t be there to knock off St Eds, I hope it is Medina. I fully expect those two to make it, but St Ignatius will be tough.

Ignatius has quite a tough draw. Mentor, Stow, Medina, and St Eds just to win Region 1. They are good enough to beat any one of those teams individually. But they aren’t consistent enough on offense to win four straight like that.

Last edited:
I might be in the minority, but I absolutely hate first round rematches, no matter the opponent. With 16 teams qualifying, I was looking forward to seeing a team I either haven't seen before or haven't seen in years. Not only do you see the team, but hear the band, and experience the fan base. I remember a few years ago seeing Perry at Byers and seeing the running attack, which was exciting and challenging. The Perry band was excellent and the fans were enthusiastic. In recent years, the opening games have been rematches. That's fine for second rounds, but the first round would be more interesting with a non-rematch game.