DIV State Semifinal: Tiffin Calvert (29-2) vs Berlin Hiland (28-1) [6/8] 7PM

Who wins?

• Tiffin Calvert (29-2)

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Berlin Hiland (28-1)

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

Wow… should’ve been ruled a catch in my amateur eye (in reference to the “drop” t7.)
Lol I agree. It was the blessing Hiland capitalized on and the wheels came off for TC. Dropped the ball during the transfer AFTER the catch, but I don't know much about anything. 🤷🏿‍♂️

It was clearly a catch. Calvert got robbed. The whole momentum changed after that. But they had a chance to win it in the bottom of 7.

Wow…I feel for my Senecas, although they certainly had their chances with the bases loaded in the 5th and 7th. Hiland certainly was on the winning end of a few calls, but that’s how it goes. They end the season with 30 wins and six freshman and two sophomores on their 12-man roster.

Wow…I feel for my Senecas, although they certainly had their chances with the bases loaded in the 5th and 7th. Hiland certainly was on the winning end of a few calls, but that’s how it goes. They end the season with 30 wins and six freshman and two sophomores on their 12-man roster.
Congrats to the Senecas on a great season!
Was hoping they would win and I was gonna go to the final. Oh well.

I looked at their Gamechanger and recognized a lot of those last names from when I lived in Tiffin and was around Calvert a bit a million years ago. Assuming these kids dads went there early 90’s? And maybe a few more?

Lee
Cooper
Coleman
Shultz

Shoemaker related to old Heidelberg Coach Denny Shoemaker?
I know about Palm.

I will continue to keep an eye on Calvert in the future and will always root for them.

I get momentum and all that which can result from one play. I also think about math, meaning there are 170-200 pitches in a game, dozens of plays in the field, hundreds of decisions by coaches and players - but a call in the top of the 7th was the key reason for a 4-1 game? OK

Couldn't be that the other team hit, fielded, and pitched better. :)

Last edited:
I get momentum and all that which can result from one play. I also think about math, meaning there are 170-200 pitches in a game, dozens of plays in the field, hundreds of decisions by coaches and players - but a call in the top of the 7th was the key reason for a 4-1 game? OK

Couldn't be that the other team hit, fielded, and pitched better. :)
At the time it was the top of the seventh, Hiland was down to three outs, a big-time run producing team being shutout and on the ropes. So, while certainly not the only deciding factor, it was a vital one. Up until that point Calvert had pitched and hit better. It obviously was a point where a lifeless Hiland was given new life.

At the time it was the top of the seventh, Hiland was down to three outs, a big-time run producing team being shutout and on the ropes. So, while certainly not the only deciding factor, it was a vital one. Up until that point Calvert had pitched and hit better. It obviously was a point where a lifeless Hiland was given new life.
I hear you and agree.

But I raise you the bottom of the 5th, bases loaded for TC, no runs.

Easy to do when it's all over, but that was the championship game. Those were the two best teams. In some ways, mirror images.

TC just needs to keep going with the same principles and knocking on the door. Eventually it will open.

I talked to the Yoder parents at church this morning. He said the Hiland players watched the "error drop" and felt like the kid caught the ball. The dad said 2 umpires agreed that it was not a catch per rule, but the players felt like if it was called a catch, they couldn't argue.

It's funny. You catch the ball and hold it for a full second or so, it's a no doubter. But you catch it and immediately grab the ball to throw it back in, but drop it, now it's not a catch even tho it actually was. It's kind of like the college and NFL replay officials taking 8 min to figure out whether a throw was caught. Drives us all crazy.