Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Glenville by 1-8

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Glenville by 9-16

Votes: 39 27.9%
  • Glenville by 17+

Votes: 62 44.3%

• Total voters
You pulled off that title much to my chagrin at The Big Red’s expense. Not sure WB folks understand that Big Red team was one of their best in the last 45 years. It was definitely the best Big Red team to not win a title. If WB hadn’t taken us out I’m sure we would have won another title. That QB was running around with ice in his veins. Not too many teams come back from 21 points early in the game in the semi finals. Most Big Red fans would tell you it was the most disappointing loss in last 40 years.
Big Red was ridiculously good that year. Nate Johnson was a freak on both sides of the ball. I believe Big Red smoked Boardman that year by like 4 tds. Same Boardman team that had beaten eventual D1 champ St Ignatius that year. WB was was very fortunate to win that game in Canton that night. What a crowd btw on both sides. Everything fell into place after a nightmare first half included hitting their first field goal in like a 100 years. Lol. I think the Warriors got a little help from above.

Last edited:
The way people talk about Glenville makes it easy to pull for them and against their opponent. If it was not Glenville then they would complain about the next best school. People are not happy unless the system is watered down to the point where their school can finally win. God forbid you play tougher teams and put in the work to get better. To mention Kirtland and Marion in the conversation is laughable. Unless you know the ins and out as to how those programs work, prepare and are constructed - don't talk about them. To quote Will Smith "Keep their names out of your mouth"

These Glenville threads reminds me of the movie GROUNDHOGS DAY because a lot of people talks about everything but the outcome of the game
FYI a lot of from Ginn Academy plays for other schools
Collinwood
John Hay
Euclid
Richmond Hts
Just to name a few
My prediction
Glenville 55 Canton South 14

The way people talk about Glenville makes it easy to pull for them and against their opponent. If it was not Glenville then they would complain about the next best school. People are not happy unless the system is watered down to the point where their school can finally win. God forbid you play tougher teams and put in the work to get better. To mention Kirtland and Marion in the conversation is laughable. Unless you know the ins and out as to how those programs work, prepare and are constructed - don't talk about them. To quote Will Smith "Keep their names out of your mouth"
South is going to graduate a ton of talent from this this magical once in a lifetime team and like most D4 teams are going to be a normal hardworking team next year. Hard work and discipline is everywhere contrary to the belief of some. Large numbers of Jimmys and Joes aren’t. Loading up your small school schedule for most is not beneficial.There’s a reason there are weight classes and divisions in sports.

Last edited:
Mooney had some great teams, there were only 6 divisions until 2013 but regardless, they has some great teams.

That is true but it does not change the fact that those strong Mooney teams the OP was talking about were never in D5 as stated. They were in D3 or D4 all those years. That's all that I was responding to.

Having the best team in school history and a magical season does not mean you should win the state championship. Unfortunately the best team in school history at one school could not be as good as a normal team at another. All.programs are not equal. If you dig down into the programs that are on top year in and year out in Ohio in all divisions, you will find common denominators. Usually when you look at the programs that fall short or fail at having sucess one or more of the denominators are missing.

So from what I can see , it looks like most are predicting a Glenville win over South. What is the common denominator they are basing this on other than Glenville having multiple D1 recruits? And what is the average number of D1 recruits for a D4 high school. Do they somehow teach boys how to run a 4.4? And it’s South’s magical season because they have an extraordinary amount of talent for a D4 school yet are big underdogs.

Last edited:
All.programs are not equal. If you dig down into the programs that are on top year in and year out in Ohio in all divisions, you will find common denominators.

yeah and if you put Kent State in Mount Union’s division all of a sudden the Flashes can pretend they’re champions and their moron fans can dole out their opinions on what Mount Union needs to do to get better if they want to go to the Stagg Bowl.

Cleveland is playing the unincorporated area South of Canton for the chance to go to another d4 state title game. Lol

Not when it matters in the tournament. And they lost.

Call me crazy but if you don't play a team in that division all year, pretty safe to say you shouldn't compete in that division's tournament.
Whatever, buddy. How many other D4 teams can hang with Avon, Hoban or IMG? Name them or be quiet!

The goal is to win the game, no doubt. But competing with championships-caliber teams in higher divisions, even when one loses, is worth much more than beating an average team in a lower division. Don't pretend it's not.

And how do you know Glenville didn't try to schedule one or two D4 teams in the regular season? Maybe they tried but couldn't because the dates didn't line up. Nothing you can do. And how many would actually wanna play Glenville? Lake Catholic, Steubenville, Alter, Hartley and a few others would do it. But that's about it. Many of the other D4 schools ain't trying to play them at all, regardless of it's regular season or playoffs.

Glenville is D4 because their enrollment says that they are. If you don't like that, then you need to rally a majority of the OHSAA member schools and get then to vote on allowing schools to play up if they want to. Because, as of right now, it's not allowed. Glenville would love to play up a division or two. They have no problem with challenging themselves against the best, win or lose.

Last edited:
Not when it matters in the tournament. And they lost.

Call me crazy but if you don't play a team in that division all year, pretty safe to say you shouldn't compete in that division's tournament.
Fair enough… but do you really think Glenville sat back and was like, “hey, if we do this, we can clean up in division 4… let’s go for it.” Is that what we’re insinuating here?

I fully believe the OHSAA may find a way to fix this, but at the same time it’s comes off a little helicopter-parenty to talk about what’s fair, ESPECIALLY in the case of the kids at Glenville with just about every other disadvantage in life headed their way.

not saying it’s wrong to try to figure out a better solution… but in that community, making a fuss about this is met with,

“ain’t nobody got time for that.”

yeah and if you put Kent State in Mount Union’s division all of a sudden the Flashes can pretend they’re champions and their moron fans can dole out their opinions on what Mount Union needs to do to get better if they want to go to the Stagg Bowl.

Cleveland is playing the unincorporated area South of Canton for the chance to go to another d4 state title game. Lol
The kids playing this Friday night couldn't care less how the opposing school's student-athletes matriculate there. They just want to play and compete. Canton South is trying to win. So is Glenville. I want Glenville to win. Others want Canton South to win. We'll see who wins Friday night

The kids playing this Friday night couldn't care less how the opposing school's student-athletes matriculate there. They just want to play and compete. Canton South is trying to win. So is Glenville. I want Glenville to win. Others want Canton South to win. We'll see who wins Friday night
I want Canton South to win, but this Glenville shaming is fruitless.

Whatever, buddy. How many other D4 teams can hang with Avon, Hoban or IMG? Name them or be quiet!

The goal is to win the game, no doubt. But competing with championships-caliber teams in higher divisions, even when one loses, is worth much more than beating an average team in a lower division. Don't pretend it's not.

And how do you know Glenville didn't try to schedule one or two D4 teams in the regular season? Maybe they tried but couldn't because the dates didn't line up. Nothing you can do. And how many would actually wanna play Glenville? Lake Catholic, Steubenville, Alter, Hartley and a few others would do it. But that's about it. Many of the other D4 schools ain't trying to play them at all, regardless of it's regular season or playoffs.

Glenville is D4 because their enrollment says that they are. If you don't like that, then you need to rally a majority of the OHSAA member schools and get then to vote on allowing schools to play up if those schools want to do so. Because, as of right now, playing up is not allowed. Glenville would love to play up a division or two. They have not problem with challenging themselves against the best, win or lose.
Drop 4 or so D1 recruits into to my little hardworking , disciplined country school and then we’ll schedule Hoban.

every other school in NCAA D3 looks at Mount and says the same things you’re saying about Glenville.

so should mount bump up divisions?

Perry, your argument may have been less silly in 2018 when they got popped by OHSAA. But they came out of their probation with more transfers and a zero competitive balance multiplier. Only way that happens is with a lot of move ins to Glennville's CMSD attendance zone, or fraudulent addresses.

If they wanted to play up or don't care like some of the pretenders say, all they had to do was not commit fraud AGAIN.

If they're committing fraud, then there should be a punishment.

Do you think Glenville is committing fraud?

Perry, your argument may have been less silly in 2018 when they got popped by OHSAA. But they came out of their probation with more transfers and a zero competitive balance multiplier. Only way that happens is with a lot of move ins to Glennville's CMSD attendance zone, or fraudulent addresses.

If they wanted to play up or don't care like some of the pretenders say, all they had to do was not commit fraud AGAIN.
That was five years ago, pal. They were punished by the OHSAA and paid the price for it. Rightfully so, I might add. That is the past. Here and now, their competitive balance is 0, as confirmed many times by the OHSAA. They're playing by the rules, but keep crying. That's all you anti-Glenville know how to do, anyway

Think this game sets up similar to last years state semi for glenville. The regional final would have been a tougher game each year

Ok remove Glenville. Say South had to play Perkins and got beat - people would complain that they did not belong. You are never going to please everyone. I heard the same thing when my son played basketball ar VASJ. Due to our school size we had to play in the lower divisions and people lost their minds. The rural teams and fans do not feel like they should ever have to play urban schools.

About week 7/8 everyone knew South would run into Glenville it is what it is. As a South fan I just hope they play the man in front of them and not worry about how many d1 offers one has.
GIF by Sports Illustrated

Ok remove Glenville. Say South had to play Perkins and got beat - people would complain that they did not belong. You are never going to please everyone. I heard the same thing when my son played basketball ar VASJ. Due to our school size we had to play in the lower divisions and people lost their minds. The rural teams and fans do not feel like they should ever have to play urban schools.
South just played Buchtel two weeks ago. Nobody complained.

South just played Buchtel two weeks ago. Nobody complained.
Because Buchtel is down in comparison to what they used to be. I'm sure if Ricky Powers was there running the ball like back in the day people would be losing their minds. Buchtel was a powerhouse prior to Hoban.

You have a valid point but with all due respect those Mooney teams were never in D5, Ursuline was. Mooney played in 7 state championship games from 2004-2013 and they were all in either D3 or D4 in those years. They were in D5 from 2020-22 and back in D4 this year.
My mistake. Must have been thinking of the time they were in 4. Some of the teams they played in those runs are now in 5. (Everything changes except my ability to remember!)

This thread 🤣 🤣 🤣
I want to laugh too, but some of these folks…wow.

I get you don’t like how the OHSAA assigned a certain school a certain division, but I read some of these comments & it seems like 1) Ted Ginn has spent 20 years masterminding this grand conspiracy & 2) some people are using “county” and “metro” as synonyms to hide very UGLY personal opinions

Last edited: