Div I, Region 4 Playoff Thread

Moeller vs. Mason
Princeton vs. Lakota West

I believe they are going to neutral site games now. Princeton and Mason would be logical locations, but those teams are both playing, can’t play at home, and I doubt they would host a playoff game while their team is on the road somewhere. Princeton-Lakota West in Hamilton? Would Moeller-Mason work at Sycamore’s new stadium?

Moeller vs. Mason

I believe they are going to neutral site games now. Princeton and Mason would be logical locations, but those teams are both playing, can’t play at home, and I doubt they would host a playoff game while their team is on the road somewhere. Princeton-Lakota West in Hamilton? Would Moeller-Mason work at Sycamore’s new stadium?
Mason will host. They can find workers to host a few sites

Congrats to Mason for getting the win tonight.

Really don’t envy those Milford Special Team players. They’re gonna have to live with the fact that this playoff loss was all on them.

West dominated the 3rd quarter and that proved to be the difference. When Elder was up 14-3, I really thought it was over, but LW never panicked. That's the sign of a good team, but I don't think they have enough offensive firepower to get past Princeton.

West dominated the 3rd quarter and that proved to be the difference. When Elder was up 14-3, I really thought it was over, but LW never panicked. That's the sign of a good team, but I don't think they have enough offensive firepower to get past Princeton.
I agree with your first part of the take. But in a LW vs Princeton rematch. I think there’s no way in hell Tom Bolden loses to the same GMC team twice in the same year.

Elder v Lakota West was very vanilla. Run left, run right, short pass - on both sides. LW defense is good, but not the best in the state. Elder defense couldn't tackle. Elder lacks athletes all over and may be in for a rough few years. Did not feel like a playoff game as both teams looked very average.
It seemed like Elder connected on more miscommunications than anything. Seemed like LW was trying to over-complicate things which made them mess up and Elder capitalized on it. The Front 7 did their thing against a pretty damn good Elder O-Line. I think that even with the sloppy secondary play, this is still the best defense in Ohio.

It seemed like Elder connected on more miscommunications than anything. Seemed like LW was trying to over-complicate things which made them mess up and Elder capitalized on it. The Front 7 did their thing against a pretty damn good Elder O-Line. I think that even with the sloppy secondary play, this is still the best defense in Ohio.
It is the best defense in Ohio this year. That’s what people need to comprehend. It’s a relatively down year. This is in no way Colerain ‘04, but it’s a high quality defense with FBS talent at all three levels and a good combination of size and speed. No one else in Ohio has that this year.

It is the best defense in Ohio this year. That’s what people need to comprehend. It’s a relatively down year. This is in no way Colerain ‘04, but it’s a high quality defense with FBS talent at all three levels and a good combination of size and speed. No one else in Ohio has that this year.
BINGO!

They don’t need offensive firepower to beat Princeton. They just need like 2-3 good drives and to play mistake-free. That’s it. 17 points will win this game. Heck, 10 points might. Biggest worry for West is preventing Princeton’s very talented and disruptive LB from forcing turnovers.

Moeller vs. Mason

Princeton plays West at Mason it was announced last night

Moeller vs. Mason

I do not believe Sycamore would host any game with Moeller playing. I’ll go with Cris Carter Field at Barnitz Stadium for the second year in a row for the matchup between Moe and Mason.

What’s so good about Elder O Line? Besides the Coach “saying” they are good. I believe Brass was Sacked on 3-4 consecutive Plays multiple times.

What’s so good about Elder O Line? Besides the Coach “saying” they are good. I believe Brass was Sacked on 3-4 consecutive Plays multiple times.
Maybe so. Catching them a couple times this season they looked like a very stout unit. Obviously, any unit mentored by James is going to be solid. They have pretty good size, and a solid FBS commit O-Tackle.

Ok, I’ll bite. What is your criteria for saying LW has the best defense in the state? And, no, I’m not claiming Princeton has it either. Is this an eye test or based upon stats? Even basing it on stats is fallible due to schedule strength. So, what is your rationale? I can remember back in the day when Princeton faced the supposed best defense in the state and ripped them apart. Again, so just curious.

Ok, I’ll bite. What is your criteria for saying LW has the best defense in the state? And, no, I’m not claiming Princeton has it either. Is this an eye test or based upon stats? Even basing it on stats is fallible due to schedule strength. So, what is your rationale? I can remember back in the day when Princeton faced the supposed best defense in the state and ripped them apart. Again, so just curious.
Basis of comparison and results with other good teams and also overall talent. As much as we all think R4 is down, the other D1 regions aren’t that good either with the caveat that St. Ed’s is probably the clear best team. St. Ed’s also has a very good defense with major FBS talent, but I think Lakota West’s is better (Ed’s gave up 33 against Elder, albeit at The Pit). Other good teams around the state in D1 are Cleveland Heights, Olentangy, Olentangy Berlin, Gahanna Lincoln, and Pickerington North. A quick check of their scores makes me think none of them have as good a defense as Lakota West. D2 teams Massillon, Hoban, Withrow, and Avon have very strong defenses and may very well be better (frankly D2 may be a better division than D1 this year), but Lakota West has more recruited FBS talent.

BTW, I think Princeton has one of the top defenses too. Their 3 LB are studs. I think they are weaker on the defensive line though.

Finally, isn’t debating this topic what Yappi is for? We’ll never really know if this is accurate.

I do not believe Sycamore would host any game with Moeller playing. I’ll go with Cris Carter Field at Barnitz Stadium for the second year in a row for the matchup between Moe and Mason.
I’ll admit that that is probably true. Just thought would be cool to for Sycamore’s new stadium to host.

Basis of comparison and results with other good teams and also overall talent. As much as we all think R4 is down, the other D1 regions aren’t that good either with the caveat that St. Ed’s is probably the clear best team. St. Ed’s also has a very good defense with major FBS talent, but I think Lakota West’s is better (Ed’s gave up 33 against Elder, albeit at The Pit). Other good teams around the state in D1 are Cleveland Heights, Olentangy, Olentangy Berlin, Gahanna Lincoln, and Pickerington North. A quick check of their scores makes me think none of them have as good a defense as Lakota West. D2 teams Massillon, Hoban, Withrow, and Avon have very strong defenses and may very well be better (frankly D2 may be a better division than D1 this year), but Lakota West has more recruited FBS talent.

BTW, I think Princeton has one of the top defenses too. Their 3 LB are studs. I think they are weaker on the defensive line though.

Finally, isn’t debating this topic what Yappi is for? We’ll never really know if this is accurate.
Ok, understand. There are just many factors to consider to say who has the best defense or offense. Even counting D1 recruits is fallible. Have seen highly touted D1 recruits bust and unranked recruits flourish.

Thoughts on Moellers Defense? Gave us less points to Elder at the Pit than Ed’s. Also had similar results to what the number one defense in the state did against did against St X.

Last edited:
Not quite sure about this one. The LW offense posted the most yards out of all Region 4 teams in which stats were reported so far. LW ran the ball 47 times and only had to throw 11 times in which 9 were completed for 73 yards. They also left roughly 10 points out there. You do not need to be “explosive” when you dominate the line of scrimmage much like we saw Moeller do in this Region the last 2 years. (I am not comparing West to Moeller just a statement)

Lakota West - 311 yards
Elder - 281 yards
Princeton - 213 yards
Hamilton - 252 yards
Milford - 144 yards
Mason - 219 yards
Moeller - N/A
St. X - N/A

Princeton gave up 252 yards to a not great Hamilton offense. The whole Lakota West offense is awful statement made by many posters (not you) just doesn’t hold as much weight as it did. Though inconsistent they are a decent offense showed Friday.

Princeton vs. West is the game of the week but very interested to see how Mason’s Defense pairs up against Moeller’s ground game.

Last edited:
Thoughts on Moellers Defense? Gave us less points to Elder at the Pit than Ed’s. Also had similar results to what the number one defense in the state did against did against St X.
Statistic they are pretty good to be honest.

On the season they average 303.4 YPG and 19.4 PPG (excluding St. X playoff win).

This is not great but once you take into consideration their 4 loses they look much better.

In their 4 loses they average 458 YPG and 37.5 PPG.

In their 7 wins they average 215 YPG and 9 PPG.

And in predictable fashion after a loss, the Elder forum is whining about the playing of "explicit lyrics" over the LW PA system LOL.

Elder OLine wasn't that great, but we were told all year how good their defense was going to be. Swiss cheese once again. They haven't had a good defense in 10 years.

Elder simply lacks athletes and has a few very down classes with talent coming up. They're also not going to change because Legacy Johnny is entitled to his turn because his daddy could play back in the day. It's comical.

LW defense woke up in the second half, and when they did, Elder didn't have a chance. Complete domination in the second half and Elder had no answers because they lack game-breakers. Brass was contained and no one could get open.

As far as best defense in the state, hard to believe anyone has more D 1 talent than St. Ed's. They have 5 D1 defensive linemen.
High quality linebackers and 2 D1 defensive backs. Time will tell, but I am an old guy and I have never seen the level of talent on one defensive unit as St. Ed's has.