Div I, Region 4 Playoff Thread

Elder gave the game away. Give me a break a stop with your excuses. Even if they score to cut it to 24-21 doesn’t guarantee they win. I mean Elder’s defense didn’t exactly stop the West offense. Princeton, Mason and Hamilton in that weak GMC as it’s been called this year had way better defenses then Elder.
You are all missing the point which is to be expected with the GMC being a public school league. Elder is AVERAGE and West is ALSO. Best defense in the state statements are absolutely insane. Moeller rolls West or Princeton.

Tristate football is predicting a 27-17 Lakota West win.

27 points? No respect at all for Princeton, or the Viking defense who hasn't allowed over 16 points a game all season. Looks like the Vikes will be taken to the woodshed Friday night, no use in even getting on the bus and showing up.

Last edited:
You are all missing the point which is to be expected with the GMC being a public school league. Elder is AVERAGE and West is ALSO. Best defense in the state statements are absolutely insane. Moeller rolls West or Princeton.
Name a better defense in Region 4 than Lakota West's? I will accept arguments for Princeton's defense only. Name a better defense in D1 in the state? I will accept arguments for St. Ed's only. There are D2 schools I will accept arguments for as well. As I mentioned before, stating Lakota West has the best defense in the state is all relative. The state is down this year. This season's version of St. Ed's wouldn't put the clamps on Drew Allar like they did in 2021. Springfield doesn't have nearly the same defense that they had the last couple of years. Moeller, while not a defensive juggernaut, still isn't as good as they were last year.

And yes, Lakota West is still not a great team despite having a great defense. They have 2 losses because they ran some of the most incompetent offense the first 2 weeks of the season that many of us have ever seen. They decided to run a spread passing attack without a good pass blocking offensive line and with a freshman QB not remotely ready for varsity. The defense still only gave up 10 and 12 points respectively in those two games. They merely have a competent offense now. I still don't think they beat Princeton because I don't think they're good enough on offense. If they win, it will be because of their defense.

27 points? No respect at all for Princeton, or the Viking defense who hasn't allowed over 16 points a game all season. Looks like the Vikes will be taken to the woodshed Friday night, no use in even getting on the bus and showing up.
I didn't understand that with Tri-State Football having Princeton ranked as the top team in the area. Different folks rating than those predicting games, I guess. The logic fails me. Recently, Mason held West to 10 points and Princeton's defense is better than Mason. West got 3 points in the first game and now they are going to score 27? I expect a low scoring game.

It confuses me when people don't understand how a game is going to flow. Princeton and Lakota West will both be nearly running the ball every play and offense will be very hard to come by. Either team scoring 20 points would be shocking. This obviously won't be as high a level of a football game, but something like the '05 X-Colerain game that finished 12-9 in OT wouldn't shock me.

Then the OHSAA should just go ahead and cancel the West v Princeton game because; what's the point? Everyone should just bend the knee and let Ed's and Moeller battle it out for the Div 1 state championship because the rest of the field of teams is unworthy.
Sounds about as absurd as your post doesn't it?

Then the OHSAA should just go ahead and cancel the West v Princeton game because; what's the point? Everyone should just bend the knee and let Ed's and Moeller battle it out for the Div 1 state championship because the rest of the field of teams is unworthy.
Sounds about as absurd as your post doesn't it?
Well there’s about a 90% chance that one of those two teams will win it 🤷‍♂️

I think Ponatoski has a huge game for Moe. I bet Mason commits to stopping the run and Ponatoski lights it up with Love, Duffy, Mason and Smith. Not sure their defense has played a qb like Ponatoski who can air it out with the speed they have at the WR position. I know Marshall is the guy right now, but Ponatoski is going to be the next big thing from this area….IMO.

Comments like this is why I despise the GCL South. I really hope this doesn't age well

Here are the calpreps.com predictions:
27 Moeller 8 Mason
21 Lakota West 19 Princeton

My predictions:
24 Moeller 7 Mason (like last year, how many points Mason gets depends on how long the Moeller's defensive starters play. Last year they were pulled way too early)

17 Princeton 10 Lakota West

Either way, I think both will be low scoring games. While they say defense wins championships, I say that offense wins championships, defense keeps you in the game. Therefore, I'm going with the teams with relatively stronger offenses than their opponents.

I think Ponatoski has a huge game for Moe. I bet Mason commits to stopping the run and Ponatoski lights it up with Love, Duffy, Mason and Smith. Not sure their defense has played a qb like Ponatoski who can air it out with the speed they have at the WR position. I know Marshall is the guy right now, but Ponatoski is going to be the next big thing from this area….IMO.
I agree with this. You can throw on Mason. They are, however, very good against the run.

The Elder Defense BELOW Average! Moeller-Princeton R4F

Pick North or Gahanna would wax any of the GMC teams remaining in the playoffs as well but yes you are correct no one is touching Eds.

Pick North or Gahanna would wax any of the GMC teams remaining in the playoffs as well but yes you are correct no one is touching Eds.
Gahanna barely beat the 4th best GMC team by the score of 10-5. They would not wax the top tier. Pick North barely beat Elder who Lakota West beat worst than Pick North. Your argument is baseless.

Gahanna barely beat the 4th best GMC team by the score of 10-5. They would not wax the top tier. Pick North barely beat Elder who Lakota West beat worst than Pick North. Your argument is baseless.
St. Ed's also barely beat Elder, but I digress. I think Elder was capable of good play this year; they were just really inconsistent. For what it's worth, Drew Pasteur has kept updating his power rankings through the playoffs, and he has Moeller, Lakota West, and Princeton as the #2-4 teams in D1 respectively behind St. Ed's. St. X is still #5. Final 16 teams remaining in D1 and Drew Pasteur ranks:

Region 1
Lakewood St. Edward (#1 in D1, #2 overall)
Medina (12, 21)
Cleveland Heights (13, 25)
Canton McKinley (20, 39)

Region 2
Olentangy (9, 17)
Olengtany Berlin (14, 27)
Dublin Coffman (26, 58)
Springfield (17, 31)

Region 3
Gahanna Lincoln (6, 10)
Pickerington North (11, 20)
Hilliard Bradley (18, 33)
Upper Arlington (16, 30)

Region 4
Moeller (2, 3)
Lakota West (3, 7)
Princeton (4, 8)
Mason (22, 48)

Drew Pasteur's lines are also Moeller over Mason by 27 and Lakota West over Princeton by 1, which seem very fair.

So much speculation, which is the whole point of this site. Just some things to keep in mind. Each of these teams have progressed through the season to reach this point in the playoffs. That does not just happen by osmosis. West, Mason, and Princeton have each played the schedules handed to them. The GMC has a 9 game format. West opens with St X every year, and those games have been closely played and West has won their share of those contests over the last few years. West did struggle early on for a variety of reasons not the least of which was finding a QB and an offensive line that was made up entirely of first year varsity starters. That group seems to have vastly improved over the last 11 weeks. Maybe Elder was an "average" team but, they competed like an elite team. When people get on here and say teams 'aren't tough', 'played a weak schedule' or 'aren't very good on one side of the ball or the other', you're indicting those kids who played as well as they could or in some cases above expectations. Good luck to all of teams who have gotten this far in the playoffs, your efforts are appreciated.

St. Ed's also barely beat Elder, but I digress. I think Elder was capable of good play this year; they were just really inconsistent. For what it's worth, Drew Pasteur has kept updating his power rankings through the playoffs, and he has Moeller, Lakota West, and Princeton as the #2-4 teams in D1 respectively behind St. Ed's. St. X is still #5. Final 16 teams remaining in D1 and Drew Pasteur ranks:

Region 1
Lakewood St. Edward (#1 in D1, #2 overall)
Medina (12, 21)
Cleveland Heights (13, 25)
Canton McKinley (20, 39)

Region 2
Olentangy (9, 17)
Olengtany Berlin (14, 27)
Dublin Coffman (26, 58)
Springfield (17, 31)

Region 3
Gahanna Lincoln (6, 10)
Pickerington North (11, 20)
Hilliard Bradley (18, 33)
Upper Arlington (16, 30)

Region 4
Moeller (2, 3)
Lakota West (3, 7)
Princeton (4, 8)
Mason (22, 48)

Drew Pasteur's lines are also Moeller over Mason by 27 and Lakota West over Princeton by 1, which seem very fair.
They better beat Princeton this year. This is an extremely young team. Don’t know about anyone beating them the next few years!

Moeller vs Princeton in the Regional Final
That match up would be a throw back to the 1970's when those teams beat each other up in great games. I am impressed by Princeton with outstanding speed and and impressive Dline. I think they beat West, 21-16.

Moeller is already killing Mason.
Matt Ponatoski pass complete to Jordan Marshall for 63 yards to the MASON00, TOUCHDOWN. 7-0
Matt Ponatoski pass complete to Roman Mason for 21 yards to the MASON00, TOUCHDOWN. 14-0
Matt Ponatoski pass complete to Preston Smith for 36 yards to the MASON00, TOUCHDOWN. 22-0
Ponatoski is 8 for 9 for 182 yds passing in the FIRST QUARTER! Mason has 31 total yards in Q1.

Last edited:
Wiles just took a 20+ yard sack on a 4th and goal. Princeton not even pinned back after the turnover on downs. They should at least get to halftime at 7-3 and they have a chance to score.

That match up would be a throw back to the 1970's when those teams beat each other up in great games. I am impressed by Princeton with outstanding speed and and impressive Dline. I think they beat West, 21-16.

Moeller is already killing Mason.
Matt Ponatoski pass complete to Jordan Marshall for 63 yards to the MASON00, TOUCHDOWN. 7-0
Matt Ponatoski pass complete to Roman Mason for 21 yards to the MASON00, TOUCHDOWN. 14-0
Matt Ponatoski pass complete to Preston Smith for 36 yards to the MASON00, TOUCHDOWN. 22-0
Ponatoski is 8 for 9 for 182 yds passing in the FIRST QUARTER! Mason has 31 total yards in Q1.
I figured they would be able to throw on them, and they are. Mason has no hope of scoring 22 points to get back in this. Moeller just needs to salt the game away now.