DI: Springfield vs St Edward Updates and Game Discussion

In fairness though , many of their posters will admit the system favors them to win titles in bunches in many sports. It's common sense. If you build from one school district vs building from 50-75 or more in a sport like football , the latter will win a lot more.

I don't like how the schools do things but it isn't hating to bring up facts. They'll be more consistent and have more shots because of how they build.
I think the possibility of getting a kid from outside the so called "district" certainly favors the privates, yet that perceived advantage quickly wanes when you consider that going to Eds costs $17,000 per year. That money doesn't grow on trees. And if you think Eds is able to give money away like candy to star athletes, you're sorely mistaken. While Eds has an involved alumni, they don't have a cash machine they can turn on simply to look good in football. Most of these families pay the full amount (with some voucher help) or a percentage of that $17,000 to be a part of that experience. Private education is not cheap. In any event, I agree schools like Eds have an advantage, but its a very expensive advantage.

People saying private schools recruit or they bring in kids from all over. The only person who got tangled up in recruiting or bringing kids in is Springfields coach when he was at Trotwood.

I think the possibility of getting a kid from outside the so called "district" certainly favors the privates, yet that perceived advantage quickly wanes when you consider that going to Eds costs $17,000 per year. That money doesn't grow on trees. And if you think Eds is able to give money away like candy to star athletes, you're sorely mistaken. While Eds has an involved alumni, they don't have a cash machine they can turn on simply to look good in football. Most of these families pay the full amount (with some voucher help) or a percentage of that $17,000 to be a part of that experience. Private education is not cheap. In any event, I agree schools like Eds have an advantage, but its a very expensive advantage.

Do you happen to know the amount of St. Ed's endowment? I find it hard to believe the "majority" of the students families are paying full tuition who play on their football team.

Do you happen to know the amount of St. Ed's endowment? I find it hard to believe the "majority" of the students families are paying full tuition who play on their football team.
If anything gets CatAlum to jump back in on Yappi, it will be this response.

I don't know the St Edward endowment. I doubt any school would make that public. I'll try to answer your question in the reality that St Edward lives in.

When you talk endowments at St Edward you have to talk about the elephant (St Ignatius) in the room.

I think I can say with confidence that we (St Edward) don't have near the endowment that St. Ignatius has. (But we're always working on it:))

I think students from Cleveland at both St Edward and St Ignatius take advantage of the voucher program. The vouchers don't pay near the full amount, but they get students a start.

I think its fair to say that St Edward struggles to find funding for tuition as compared to St Ignatius, but that's a struggle we've dealt with for years. And it's not just football players, its all students.

I'm biased, but St Edward has modeled itself as the innovative school, while Ignatius remains the old standard. Nothing wrong with the old standard, but St Edward needed to distinguish itself, and dare I say, St Ignatius grad Jim Kubacki came to St Edward and certainly delivered that innovation and more.

We attract a certain kind of student at St Edward. Students that aren't legacy kids, seem to have a real comfort at St Edward. I'm sure St Ignatius can claim that too, but I know first hand it's true at St Edward. In any event, there's a reason why St Edward has been in the ascendency since 2010 and its not just about money.

A lot of these kids at St Edward (And St Ignatius for that matter) pay a lot more than a lot of people would ever imagine. Remember, education is never a bad investment.

So people who think St Edward or St Ignatius have some inherent advantage at recruiting need to factor in the economic realities. The privates have an advantage, but its a very expensive advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4GX
If anything gets CatAlum to jump back in on Yappi, it will be this response.

I don't know the St Edward endowment. I doubt any school would make that public. I'll try to answer your question in the reality that St Edward lives in.

When you talk endowments at St Edward you have to talk about the elephant (St Ignatius) in the room.

I think I can say with confidence that we (St Edward) don't have near the endowment that St. Ignatius has. (But we're always working on it:))

I think students from Cleveland at both St Edward and St Ignatius take advantage of the voucher program. The vouchers don't pay near the full amount, but they get students a start.

I think its fair to say that St Edward struggles to find funding for tuition as compared to St Ignatius, but that's a struggle we've dealt with for years. And it's not just football players, its all students.

I'm biased, but St Edward has modeled itself as the innovative school, while Ignatius remains the old standard. Nothing wrong with the old standard, but St Edward needed to distinguish itself, and dare I say, St Ignatius grad Jim Kubacki came to St Edward and certainly delivered that innovation and more.

We attract a certain kind of student at St Edward. Students that aren't legacy kids, seem to have a real comfort at St Edward. I'm sure St Ignatius can claim that too, but I know first hand it's true at St Edward. In any event, there's a reason why St Edward has been in the ascendency since 2010 and its not just about money.

A lot of these kids at St Edward (And St Ignatius for that matter) pay a lot more than a lot of people would ever imagine. Remember, education is never a bad investment.

So people who think St Edward or St Ignatius have some inherent advantage at recruiting need to factor in the economic realities. The privates have an advantage, but its a very expensive advantage.
Are the public schools in and around Ignatius and Ed's that bad that parents feel the need to pay for a high school education in addition to college?

Are the public schools in and around Ignatius and Ed's that bad that parents feel the need to pay for a high school education in addition to college?
Is this a serious question lol absolutely, the outter suburb schools are just fine ex Avon, Strongsville, broad view heights , the inner city schools are awful and I don’t know of anyone chomping at the bit to go to Lakewood hs.

My take is that their are a lot of well off families in Bay Village, Westlake, Rocky River, Avon Lake, Fairview Park, Stronsgville, etc. that can afford to send their kids to a private school.

Ignatius is in Cleveland on the near West side. Cleveland public schools are probably the most dysfunctional in the state. I have friends that worked and work for the school system and it's bad. Ignatius actually started their own junior high school 6,7,8 grades a few years ago to beef the kids up to be able to get into Ignatius.

St Eds is in Lakewood an inner ring suburb that I live in. Public schools are pretty good, a lot better than Cleveland but I chose to send my son to St Eds for the better academics and athletics. He played FB and wrestled parlayed that into a nice college education at an elite D3 school where he got an engineering degree while playing FB for 4 years. St Eds has a huge engineering program that really set him up.

Vouchers have been a huge boost to the parochial grade schools in Cleveland. The schools are so bad many parents turn to them. Ignatius has taken vouchers for years. I think I read somewhere that 70-75% of kids at Ignatius get some voucher assistance. They extended the voucher program to the inner ring suburbs I want to say 5-7 years ago. For the longest time the program was strictly for the inner city. Obviously it helps St Eds now. They didn't have vouchers when my son was there.

Cleveland Metropolitan School District, an emphatic yes. The surrounding suburbs, it varies greatly from district to district. It should come as no surprise that the wealthier suburban districts are often the top performing districts, and are most often closed enrollment. Some families may be priced out of the housing markets in those neighborhoods, but can come up with the extra cash to put it towards education. But even the wealthy districts lose students to the private schools whose parents see a benefit to private education and can afford it. Keep in mind that the Cleveland Metro area also has one of highest concentration of Catholics.

At Ignatius,
~70% of the applicants come from Catholic diocesan grade schools.
80-85% of the applicants are Catholics
Probably 75-80% of the students are coming in from the suburbs.
Parents are willing to pay for the holistic experience of academic excellence, character building and faith formation

Is this a serious question lol absolutely, the outter suburb schools are just fine ex Avon, Strongsville, broad view heights , the inner city schools are awful and I don’t know of anyone chomping at the bit to go to Lakewood hs.
Yes it's a serious question as I don't know anything about the geographic areas surrounding those schools since I've never lived up there.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who took the question I asked seriously.

Growing up in Centerville, the only Catholic high school nearby was Archbishop Alter, which wasn't much of a step up. Both schools have comparable academic programs that prepare you for college; just missing religion class. :)

My mother would have preferred all three of her children attended Catholic schools as she did, however my parents couldn't afford it. That being said, all three of us turned out well with bachelors degrees from OSU, University of Texas and BGSU.

St. Edward endowment is growing. When I graduated over 30 years ago there were no graduates 60 years old yet. Hard to have an endowment matching an Ignatius school already 100 years old without that will and estate planning piece. Since then, of course, our oldest graduates are about to hit 90.

He always said history didn’t matter. Ya da ya da ya da ….. he was wrong yet again. Certainly matters when you don’t learn from it
History had nothing to do with this game. Ed’s clearly had better playmakers on both sides of the ball and he wasn’t hearing any argument.