DI Springfield vs St Edward Updates (12/01/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ed's sophomore Brandon White rushed for 235 yds in the state championship game. This follows 242 yds in the semi-final game vs Hilliard Bradley, and 256 yds in the regional final vs Medina.

All told, he had over 1,000 yds rushing in the playoffs, after weeks 9 and 10 getting 262 yds vs Moeller and 125 yds vs Hoban. He finished with just under 2,000 yds for the season, despite not becoming the starter until about week 7.

His emergence is the silver lining of the recurrent injuries to Sr. QB Casey Bullock. An interesting talent to keep an eye on.

And that fake punt at the end. 😳
I don't think that call was as terrible as some others do. Yeah, it was a roll of the dice, but if you look at the game situation Hoban was making hay running the ball. IOW, Massillon's D was getting gassed. Forget trying to score; just picking up a first down and giving the D a little more of a blow (even if you punted 3 plays later) would have been beneficial.

The better team didn't win this game. St Ed's got the calls, they were gonna win no matter what. That's a shame

The Eagles won the game because they bested the Wildcats in points scored 31-21, total offensive yards 336-248, yards per play 6.7 to 4.6, first downs 21-14 and red zone efficiency 5 for 5 vs. 2 for 3. On top of that, Springfield’s poor clock management at the end of the first half was 100% self-inflicted. So, don’t spout that B.S. that “the better team did not win this game,” and St. Edward “got the calls.”

That being said, Springfield was extremely competitive, leaving it all on the field. After falling behind 14-0 in the 1st quarter, they made us Eagle fans nervous by bouncing back very strongly in the 2nd quarter. Congratulations to the Wildcats on a never-say-die attitude and a great playoff run this season.

Last edited:
The Eagles won the game because they bested the Wildcats in points scored 31-21, total offensive yards 336-248, yards per play 6.7 to 4.6, first downs 21-14 and red zone efficiency 5 for 5 vs. 2 for 3. On top of that, Springfield’s poor clock management at the end of the first half was 100% self-inflicted. So, don’t spout that B.S. that “the better team did not win this game,” and St. Edward “got the calls.”

That being said, Springfield was extremely competitive, leaving it all on the field. After falling behind 14-0 in the 1st quarter, they made us Eagle fans nervous by bouncing back very strongly in the 2nd quarter. Congratulations to the Wildcats on a never-say-die attitude and a great playoff run this season.
Clock management all on the coach 💯

I don’t blame Mo completely for the half-ending debacle. There was enough time to try to throw a quick pass into the end zone and then set up for a FG if they didn’t convert. QB went off script and thought he could run it in (which he nearly did). Huge momentum shifter heading into the half. Hats off to Springfield. Very talented team that was just out-muscled at the end of the day.

I have to say there have been shaky decisions by different coaching staffs in these games. Massillon inexplicably went for a fake punt that nearly led to a Hoban win. Can you imagine the Massillon faithful had they lost?
Kirtland botched the end of the first half badly. But, no one cares because those two teams won.
That said, the end of the first half was damaging to Springfield and they deserved to get grief for it

Congratulations to St. Eds. It is such an accomplishment that a team full of hand picked, recruited players, with every resource at their disposal was able to sneak by a public school from one of the highest crime and poverty rate cities in Ohio.

OHSAA- truly bravo to you for continuing to rob every day public school kids of a real chance.

Congratulations St. Ed. I would have been happy for Springfield too just keep plugging away you will get there eventually and it will be sweet, take it from us. 3 straight finals is VERY impressive esp. for a public school.

Now please ask Lombardo to renew the Massillon contract while he's still in a good mood! ;)

Congratulations to St. Eds. It is such an accomplishment that a team full of hand picked, recruited players, with every resource at their disposal was able to sneak by a public school from one of the highest crime and poverty rate cities in Ohio.

OHSAA- truly bravo to you for continuing to rob every day public school kids of a real chance.
IMG_3221.gif

lol

Congratulations St. Ed. I would have been happy for Springfield too just keep plugging away you will get there eventually and it will be sweet, take it from us. 3 straight finals is VERY impressive esp. for a public school.

Now please ask Lombardo to renew the Massillon contract while he's still in a good mood! ;)
Maybe Springfield can take some comfort in the fact that St. Edward lost its first three championship game appearances, before winning its next seven.

I think he would IF Massillon makes a trip to Lakewood

I think he would IF Massillon makes a trip to Lakewood

Of course. But if Massillon declines then what, add another out of stater, or keep the status quo going? There is a tax that goes with being a private school powerhouse year in year out. No other public in Ohio seems willing let alone a D2. Personally I would fine with it, but I'm also fine with the school negotiating to their best financial interests. Either way I hope it gets done.

Do public schools respect the players that come out of St. Ed’s? Absolutely, they’re great athletes.

Do public schools respect the state “titles” Ed’s has got over the years? Nope. There’s a common sense level of fairness

I’m all for common sense.

Or, Black kids can't win on their own. White people should ease up and let people who aren't as good win some of the time.

I mean, that's how we get vice presidents and supreme court justices, so why not?

So you think we should legislate fairness in every aspect of society?

Don't worry, the OHSAA will eventually separate the privates and publics, and the debate will then turn into closed enrollment schools are at the disadvantage and open enrollment schools will be the new privates. As I always say when this comes up: be careful what you wish for.

Do you realize Springfield would've lost the public vs public game (against Massillon) you so badly want anyway?

It's pretty pathetic to cry unfairness when these kids on Springfield played another great game but just came up short. Yeah, it's brutal being the Buffalo Bills of Ohio high school football, but go tell those kids on Springfield they had no chance yesterday. They'll disagree.

If you want to separate, go for it, but don't belittle the Springfield kids in the process.

The better team didn't win this game. St Ed's got the calls, they were gonna win no matter what. That's a shame
The better team DID win the game. I saw nothing that would have most people think differently. Springfield played Ed's close. But in the end, Ed's pedigree, size, experience, coaching, players, and confidence proved that they are and were the better team. And they did it on the field! And have done it 3 years in a row. That's tough to actually believe that the better team didn't win. No skin in the game, so I will just roll my eyes.

All players were told to get out of bounds because no more time outs and I heard a coach yell field goal ready. Instead Q decides he can score. When I looked up at clock there were 2 seconds left so FG try could take place, but hey they are HS kids. Pros do it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.