Dems ram through another massive spending fiasco

how far? Civil War? before that? I think Civil War was when it crossed the line from confederation of independent states to something else.
I believe the spending went from a linear track to an exponential explosion after Nixon got us off the gold standard. Pull up a graph on Google and you’ll see how it reacted.

how far? Civil War? before that? I think Civil War was when it crossed the line from confederation of independent states to something else.
https://www.thebalancemoney.com/national-debt-by-year-compared-to-gdp-and-major-events-3306287

From 2008 to 2009 the debt-to-gdp ratio went from 68% to 82%.
From 2010 to 2013 that ratio went 90%, 95%, 99%, 99%.
In 2014 it went to over 100% and hasn’t dropped below since then. The last three years have all been over 120%.
While simplistically thinking debt itself isn’t necessarily a problem, I think sustained debt greater than gdp is.

As I stated earlier (and have for at least 20 years), we have a government size and spending problem.

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/national-debt-by-year-compared-to-gdp-and-major-events-3306287

From 2008 to 2009 the debt-to-gdp ratio went from 68% to 82%.
From 2010 to 2013 that ratio went 90%, 95%, 99%, 99%.
In 2014 it went to over 100% and hasn’t dropped below since then. The last three years have all been over 120%.
While simplistically thinking debt itself isn’t necessarily a problem, I think sustained debt greater than gdp is.

As I stated earlier (and have for at least 20 years), we have a government size and spending problem.
You THINK it is, but can you DEMONSTRATE that it is?

That is: can you show the ill effect(s) (the late price inflation cannot be attributed to deficit spending: it's due to supply chain disruption and scarcities, right?) it's due to demand outstripping supplies.

(and I don't in any way expect you or anyone to be able to demonstrate ANYTHING, because of the complexities involved, just as I cannot definitively PROVE supply chain disruptions and scarcities, we are only able to talk about these things in theory, only)

You THINK it is, but can you DEMONSTRATE that it is?

That is: can you show the ill effect(s) (the late price inflation cannot be attributed to deficit spending: it's due to supply chain disruption and scarcities, right?) it's due to demand outstripping supplies.

(and I don't in any way expect you or anyone to be able to demonstrate ANYTHING, because of the complexities involved, just as I cannot definitively PROVE supply chain disruptions and scarcities, we are only able to talk about these things in theory, only)
Yes, I think. You should try it sometime. Maybe you wouldn’t be such an .

You can read up on many articles stating that debt over gdp is a bad thing. I agree with them. Maybe you’re just one of those haters who wants America to fail.

Yes, I think. You should try it sometime. Maybe you wouldn’t be such an .

You can read up on many articles stating that debt over gdp is a bad thing. I agree with them. Maybe you’re just one of those haters who wants America to fail.
oh well good for you then.

so you've read lots of articles. good for you then.

but you are completely unable to articulate any information or concept in any of them so of what use was your reading them?

but not ONE person can pick out ONE line item in the omnibus appropriations bill to point out as a waste of money.

This seems like a silly challenge, but I'll play. Before I do, is it your contention that none exist? Because that's just stupid.

New York Pork: Hip Hop, LGBTQ+ Causes, Social Justice

• $5 million to the Universal Hip Hop Museum.
  • $3 million to the New York Historical Society for a partnership project with the American LGBTQ+ Museum.
  • $1.5 million for a LGBTQ+ Community Center Project.
  • $1 million to Black Veterans for Social Justice Inc.
  • $856,000 to the LGBT Center for facilities and equipment.
  • $750,000 for services for LGBT and the “gender nonconforming” in Albany.
  • $750,000 for a building for the Brooklyn Center for Social Justice, Entrepreneurship, and the Arts.

Massachusetts Pork: Pillow Dancing, Woke Arts and Businesses

• $956,000 for The Equity Incubator at the Universities at Shady Grove.
  • $465,000 for Biomes Around the World at the Springfield Museum.
  • $400,000 for the PowerUp Latinx Business Initiative.
  • $100,000 for Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival for Arts Education.

Hawaii Pork: ‘Shoreline Equity,’ Fish Collections

• $2.25 million for “shoreline equity.”
  • $250,000 for relocation of the Bishop Museum’s ichthyology collection.

Illinois Pork: Destroying Buildings, Charging Buses, Qualifying Justice

• $500,000 for downtown building demolitions in Astoria (population 1,100).
  • $6.7 million for Illinois Electric Bus and Charging Infrastructure.
  • $2.9 million for a zero-emissions bus fleet.
  • $625,000 for a minority-owned business dashboard.
  • $2 million for a community-driven air quality and environmental justice assessment.

Maryland Pork: Oysters, History, Equitable AI

• $960,000 for oyster research to enhance resilience.
  • $185,000 for oyster restoration in the St. Mary’s River Shellfish Sanctuary.
  • $2 million for the National Great Blacks in Wax Museum.
  • $400,000 for the Historic Catoctin Furnace Ironworker House.
  • $2 million for equitable artificial intelligence.

Missouri Pork: Animated and Proud

• $2 million to Thank You Walt Disney Inc. for the Kansas City Institute for Media Animation Graphic Innovation and Education.
  • $400,000 for Pride Haven.

Connecticut Pork: Kelp and Trolleys

• $2.4 million for the Connecticut Kelp Innovation Center.
  • $750,000 for Connecticut Trolley Museum upgrades.

California: Street Dining, Neighborhood Equity, Equitable Energy

• $1.5 million for the Pasadena On-Street Dining Project.
  • $300,000 for the Sacramento Neighborhood Equity Initiative.
  • $750,000 for a Center for Health and Social Justice.
  • $1.5 million for public charging infrastructure for battery electric semitrucks.
  • $3.57 million for San Fernando Gardens’ “Adapting to Climate Change” project.
  • $2.75 million to Marin Clean energy for “healthy homes” and electric vehicle chargers.
  • $750,000 for a new roof and solar energy system for Sunnyvale Community Services.
  • $750,000 to the city of San Diego for mobile, solar-powered electric vehicle chargers.
  • $791,000 to Sonoma County for “equitable” energy resilience and electric vehicle infrastructure.

Pennsylvania: More Identity-Based Pork

• $443,000 for a racial justice improvement project.
  • $113,000 for the LGBT Center of Greater Reading.
  • $105,000 for an LGBTQ+ youth program.

Maine Pork: Blueberries and 3D-Printed Housing

• $3 million for research on wild blueberry production for changing markets and climates.
  • $3 million for 3D-printed affordable housing using forest-derived materials.

Honorable Mentions

• A huge $100 million Woolsey Finnell Bridge project in Alabama, home state of the chief GOP appropriator.
  • $6.8 million for Real Estate Strategy to Obtain Racial Equity Property Acquisition (Delaware).
  • $3.6 million for a Michelle Obama trail project (Georgia).
  • $4 million for soy-enabled rural road reconstruction (Iowa).
  • $13.5 million for the city of Russell, Kansas, to “Pave the Way to a Sustainable Future” (Kansas).
  • $100,000 for eelgrass education (New Hampshire).
  • $385,000 for an “inclusive” playground (New Jersey).
  • $575,000 thousand for a mobile buffalo meat processing unit (New Mexico).
  • $4 million for the John R. Lewis Center for Social Justice Race Relations Building (Tennessee).
  • $750,000 for Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (Texas).
  • $2.35 million for the Leahy Center in Lake Champlain, Vermont, requested by—you guessed it—Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt.

1672405350622.png

Well, do I dare throw out something that can never satisfy the rigid demands of someone who deems everyone unread and intellectually inferior?

But I would go back to the Constitution. I am admittedly a radical in this area, but If it isn't specifically authorized in the document then it is on the chopping block. What gets eliminated would depend on necessessity and practicality.

I would go at government spending by trimming the bloated executive branch. I would keep only (with major reform) State, Defense, Justice, Interior, and Treasury. Everything else would be gone. Education, Transportation, Commerce, etc., and most agencies. Any necessary functions of eliminated agencies can be rolled into one of the remaining departments, or, even better, given to the states. If, for example, we need and want environmental regulation, every state has an EPA.

So, I would go back to the George Washington administration. Lol. It would save the country trillions, restore federalism, and increase individual freedom. But, alas, it's a pipe dream. It will only become possible when modern monetary theory takes us all the way over the debt default cliff. But it's more likely that is when the leftist utopia is ushered in. :)

oh well good for you then.

so you've read lots of articles. good for you then.

but you are completely unable to articulate any information or concept in any of them so of what use was your reading them?
You refuse to be educated. It‘s not my fault your parents and schools failed you.
You try to make fun of me rather than making any reasonable argument against my post.
What a child.

Well, do I dare throw out something that can never satisfy the rigid demands of someone who deems everyone unread and intellectually inferior?

But I would go back to the Constitution. I am admittedly a radical in this area, but If it isn't specifically authorized in the document then it is on the chopping block. What gets eliminated would depend on necessessity and practicality.

I would go at government spending by trimming the bloated executive branch. I would keep only (with major reform) State, Defense, Justice, Interior, and Treasury. Everything else would be gone. Education, Transportation, Commerce, etc., and most agencies. Any necessary functions of eliminated agencies can be rolled into one of the remaining departments, or, even better, given to the states. If, for example, we need and want environmental regulation, every state has an EPA.

So, I would go back to the George Washington administration. Lol. It would save the country trillions, restore federalism, and increase individual freedom. But, alas, it's a pipe dream. It will only become possible when modern monetary theory takes us all the way over the debt default cliff. But it's more likely that is when the leftist utopia is ushered in. :)

dude, lighten up, the blanket statement that the government is too big and spends too much is a generalization and I'm using a roll back to certain point in time metaphor to illustrate that point. take a chill pill and don't be so hypersensitive. its not a serious discussion.

I think we all know the government is too big and spends to much but guess what? there isn't a damn thing you or anyone else is going to do about it, or CAN do about it. All this thread is, is whining and each side trying to blame the other, if you had not noticed.

I'm just trying to inject some levity into it. But nobody is going to do squat about it but whine.

Last edited:
This seems like a silly challenge, but I'll play. Before I do, is it your contention that none exist? Because that's just stupid.

• $3 million to the New York Historical Society for a partnership project with the American LGBTQ+ Museum.
  • $750,000 for a building for the Brooklyn Center for Social Justice, Entrepreneurship, and the Arts.

• $2 million for a community-driven air quality and environmental justice assessment.

• $2 million to Thank You Walt Disney Inc. for the Kansas City Institute for Media Animation Graphic Innovation and Education.

• $1.5 million for public charging infrastructure for battery electric semitrucks.
  • $2.75 million to Marin Clean energy for “healthy homes” and electric vehicle chargers.
  • $750,000 for a new roof and solar energy system for Sunnyvale Community Services.
  • $750,000 to the city of San Diego for mobile, solar-powered electric vehicle chargers.
  • $791,000 to Sonoma County for “equitable” energy resilience and electric vehicle infrastructure.

• $3 million for research on wild blueberry production for changing markets and climates.

Honorable Mentions

• A huge $100 million Woolsey Finnell Bridge project in Alabama, home state of the chief GOP appropriator.
  • $6.8 million for Real Estate Strategy to Obtain Racial Equity Property Acquisition (Delaware).
  • $13.5 million for the city of Russell, Kansas, to “Pave the Way to a Sustainable Future” (Kansas).
  • $4 million for the John R. Lewis Center for Social Justice Race Relations Building (Tennessee).
  • $2.35 million for the Leahy Center in Lake Champlain, Vermont, requested by—you guessed it—Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt.

Very well done, lets pick one out and discuss it maybe some time. Where did you get this list?

A thoughtful and well reasoned post. Thank you. Very well done.

Honorable Mentions

Catoctin Furnace Historical Society Receives $40,000 in Grant Funding from the Rural Maryland Council​

January 27, 2022·2 min read

The funding comes from the Maryland Agricultural Education and Rural Development Assistance Fund
THURMONT, Md., Jan. 27, 2022 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- The Catoctin Furnace Historical Society (CFHS) announces that it has received generous funding from the Rural Maryland Council to reconstruct the village smithy in Catoctin Furnace, where blacksmithing began with African American ironworkers and blacksmiths in 1776. Historical sources confirm the presence of a blacksmith shop on the main thoroughfare of the village, and in 1850, Jacob L. Wolf, aged 21, was the village blacksmith. Mr. Wolf likely apprenticed for several years, beginning with making nails. Research has revealed that Wolf's blacksmith shop made repairs for travelers as well as tools for local farmers.
The reconstructed smithy will be adjacent to the historic Miller House, one of the original 200+ year-old worker houses in Catoctin Furnace and to the newly opened Museum of the Ironworker. The blacksmith's shop will serve as a site for a hands-on learning and blacksmithing demonstrations and will also be utilized as a display space for some of the larger, disarticulated iron objects in the society's collection.
"The reconstruction of the blacksmithing shop will allow Catoctin Furnace to add blacksmithing to our educational and hands-on programming, including our successful 9-year-old leadership-focused "Heritage at Work" program, offered in partnership with Silver Oak Academy."
- ADVERTISEMENT -

Elizabeth A. Comer, President, CFHS, Inc.
About the Catoctin Furnace Historical Society (CFHS)
CFHS commemorates, studies, interprets, and preserves the rich history of the early the American industrial village through the architecture, cultural traditions, and lifeways of the diverse workers. CHFS's newly opened Museum of the Ironworker is located at 12610 Catoctin Furnace Road, Thurmont, MD 21788. The museum explores the history of ironmaking and tells the stories of the families—black and white, enslaved and free-- who lived and worked in the village. It is open from 10am-2pm on weekends. Learn more at http://www.catoctinfurnace.org

Hmmmm $400,000 seems like a lot but the project seems worthy of funding... hmmmmmm

Its a pretty interesting project.

Last edited:
This discussion reminds me of one of my favorite guys in the US Senate Tom Coburn of Oklahoma, a fiscal conservative hawk if ever there was one.

Looking over his Wikipedia page, wow, he was against everything in the woke movement.

He was a kind of a Don Quijote, tilting at windmills thinking they were gigantes (giants)

War in Iraq[edit]​

On May 24, 2007, the U.S. Senate voted 80–14 to fund the war in Iraq, which included U.S. Troop Readiness, Veterans' Care, Katrina Recovery, and Iraq Accountability Appropriations Act, 2007. Coburn voted nay.[135] On October 1, 2007, the Senate voted 92–3 to fund the war in Iraq. Coburn voted nay.[136] In February 2008, Coburn said, "I will tell you personally that I think it was probably a mistake going to Iraq."[137]

On December 15, 2014, Coburn stalled the Clay Hunt Suicide Prevention for American Veterans Act aimed at stemming veteran suicides. The bill would require a report on successful veteran suicide prevention programs and allow the United States Veterans Administration to pay incentives to hire psychiatrists. Paul Rieckhoff, CEO of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, said that despite his reputation as a budget hawk, Coburn should have recognized that the $22 million cost of the bill is worth the lives it would have saved. "It's a shame that after two decades of service in Washington, Sen. Coburn will always be remembered for this final, misguided attack on veterans nationwide," he said. "If it takes 90 days for the new Congress to re-pass this bill, the statistics tell us another 1,980 vets will have died by suicide. That should be a heavy burden on the conscience of Sen. Coburn and this Congress." Speaking out against the legislation, Coburn said "I object, not because I don't want to save suicides, but because I don't think this bill will do the first thing to change what's happening," arguing that the bill" "throws money and doesn't solve the real problem"[138]

Post-Senate career[edit]​

After resigning from the U.S. Senate, Coburn joined Citizens for Self-Governance as a senior advisor to the group's Convention of States project, which seeks to convene a convention to propose amendments to the United States Constitution.[139][140] In 2017, he authored a book on the subject titled Smashing the DC Monopoly: Using Article V to Restore Freedom and Stop Runaway Government.[141]

Coburn was affiliated with the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research, consulting on the institute's Project FDA, an effort to promote faster drug approval processes.[13] He also sat on the board of the Benjamin Rush Institute, a conservative association of medical students across 20 medical schools.[142] In 2016, he became a Manhattan Institute senior fellow.[14]

The Quintessential citizen legislator, a physician by profession.

I loved Tom Coburn. There was a guy against pork barrel spending and tried to do something about it. for real.

He ended up resigning from the Senate. due to advancing prostate cancer which eventually claimed his life.

Last edited:
dude, lighten up, the blanket statement that the government is too big and spends too much is a generalization and I'm using a roll back to certain point in time metaphor to illustrate that point. take a chill pill and don't be so hypersensitive. its not a serious discussion.

I think we all know the government is too big and spends to much but guess what? there isn't a damn thing you or anyone else is going to do about it, or CAN do about it. All this thread is, is whining and each side trying to blame the other, if you had not noticed.

I'm just trying to inject some levity into it. But nobody is going to do squat about it but whine.
Dude, I was busting your balls to make a point that everyone but you apparently recognizes - that the criticism of others' grasp of knowledge and ability to think was over the top.

A little humility goes a long way. It's an opinion forum. Some opinions are very uninformed and unsubstantiated, while others are the opposite.

But I commend you on coming in strong. I caution you against hubris.

Dude, I was busting your balls to make a point that everyone but you apparently recognizes - that the criticism of others' grasp of knowledge and ability to think was over the top.

A little humility goes a long way. It's an opinion forum. Some opinions are very uninformed and unsubstantiated, while others are the opposite.

But I commend you on coming in strong. I caution you against hubris.
Its funny how everyone's worried about my personal style, while I try to avoid addressing any poster's motives or personalities at all costs.

have you not noticed that? I don't criticize a person although I might make light of his or her statements.

I'm not addicted to personal conflict. I address issues, and not personalities or motives.

Its funny how everyone's worried about my personal style, while I try to avoid addressing any poster's motives or personalities at all costs.

have you not noticed that? I don't criticize a person although I might make light of his or her statements.

I'm not addicted to personal conflict. I address issues, and not personalities or motives.
Hmmm. Yes, so the truth of crux of the matter is all that matters and the way it comes wrapped isn't.

The problem is that is not the way human nature works. Speak the truth wrapped in love, kindness, reasonableness - has a better track record of being heard and persuasive. There is a time for blunt truth, Lord knows, but it loses its effectiveness when it is the only tool in the rhetorical toolbox.

Hmmm. Yes, so the truth of crux of the matter is all that matters and the way it comes wrapped isn't.

The problem is that is not the way human nature works. Speak the truth wrapped in love, kindness, reasonableness - has a better track record of being heard and persuasive. There is a time for blunt truth, Lord knows, but it loses its effectiveness when it is the only tool in the rhetorical toolbox.

thank you for the good advice. I'll try to remember to speak the truth wrapped in love kindness and reasonableness.

Honorable Mentions

Criminal theft.