DaOne Owens.......................

What's a true QB? You mean someone who can't play any other position? :p

Game's changing, man. Who's to say which skill set would be most valuable.
I don’t know how much the game is changing. Football has always been an 11 on 11 game - a lot of coaches choose to make it 10 on 11 though.

I will say, though, watching the championship games, there was not a lot of passing going on.

Poochie Snyder, C.South - 151 - 1,504 - 10.0 - 16.
255 - 353 - 3,701- 40 - 6.

DaOne Owens, Massillon - 140 - 1,302 - 9.3 - 15
105 - 182 - 1,566- 18 - 3

Brendan Zurbrugg, Alliance - 150 - 1,038 - 6.9 - 13
Alliance - 156 - 223 - 2,322 - 26 - 4

Above are the stats for the three players this is about (rushing first, passing second). Obviously three deserving candidates. One thing that I think people are forgetting is that all three are judged in different levels of competition. If it were solely based on the best players, divisions 3-7 would account for only about 5-10% of the all county teams every year.

I’m not doubting that there have been years where there have been biases against Massillon but I don’t think any voting was done this year based on hate of Massillon. I also think if you want to argue about a certain position this year, this one isn’t the hill to die on.

Above are the stats for the three players this is about (rushing first, passing second). Obviously three deserving candidates. One thing that I think people are forgetting is that all three are judged in different levels of competition. If it were solely based on the best players, divisions 3-7 would account for only about 5-10% of the all county teams every year.

I’m not doubting that there have been years where there have been biases against Massillon but I don’t think any voting was done this year based on hate of Massillon. I also think if you want to argue about a certain position this year, this one isn’t the hill to die on.

I would agree for the most part. However, I think they should have had the awareness to allow all 3 rather than omit a prime contender, esp. after winning a State Title. Those don't grow on trees in Stark County let alone Massillon. Not that the other 2 were not deserving.

I COMPLETELY understand that these all county teams are created for multiple reasons.

The main reason is obvious, in that they honor some of the best players in the county.
While these teams are being created, the voters also try and have as many schools as possible represented, which I am actually ok with.
Having said that, I just believe that when the situation arises, like this year, where you have 3 players that CLEARLY deserve to be first team all county at a position that you usually only have 2 spots for, you make an exception and put all 3 on the team. It isn't going to be something that occurs very often.

For the record, I would feel the exact same way if Owens was voted on and either Poochie or Zurbrugg were left out.

I refuse to accept the notion that coaches did not hold the fact that Owens was a transfer against him.

I would agree for the most part. However, I think they should have had the awareness to allow all 3 rather than omit a prime contender, esp. after winning a State Title. Those don't grow on trees in Stark County let alone Massillon. Not that the other 2 were not deserving.
It's a shame there is not a spot for Athlete for one of them like some pos season honor teams have. That would avoided what became a stupid Massillon vs Everyone thread.

It's a shame there is not a spot for Athlete for one of them like some pos season honor teams have. That would avoided what became a stupid Massillon vs Everyone thread.
IMG_3079.jpeg

I COMPLETELY understand that these all county teams are created for multiple reasons.

The main reason is obvious, in that they honor some of the best players in the county.
While these teams are being created, the voters also try and have as many schools as possible represented, which I am actually ok with.
Having said that, I just believe that when the situation arises, like this year, where you have 3 players that CLEARLY deserve to be first team all county at a position that you usually only have 2 spots for, you make an exception and put all 3 on the team. It isn't going to be something that occurs very often.

For the record, I would feel the exact same way if Owens was voted on and either Poochie or Zurbrugg were left out.

I refuse to accept the notion that coaches did not hold the fact that Owens was a transfer against him.
I would agree that they should have some flexibility. Having an Athlete position would’ve been nice.

Either way, all three had great seasons and congrats to Massillon on the state title.

Depends who the people are....what kind of character they have. Ya know? I didn't think you'd understand. Nine in a row on the way.
I understand perfectly. Voting, be it on post season honors or championships, are subjective. My guess is that most of the coaches doing the voting in Stark county never saw Owens play, if it were a fan vote all of the spots would be taken by Massillon and McKinley players due to the absurd amount of media coverage the two teams get. South got some well deserved press this year but the Independent only writes about Massillon and the Rep writes 75-80 percent of their articles about McK and the Tigers.

I understand perfectly. Voting, be it on post season honors or championships, are subjective. My guess is that most of the coaches doing the voting in Stark county never saw Owens play, if it were a fan vote all of the spots would be taken by Massillon and McKinley players due to the absurd amount of media coverage the two teams get. South got some well deserved press this year but the Independent only writes about Massillon and the Rep writes 75-80 percent of their articles about McK and the Tigers.
So why are the coaches voting ?

Massillon played as many Stark County Schools (3) as Canton South did.

Y'all lucky Smoove wasn't around to vaccinate that Stark COunty POY award, y'all! Wait, ummm, Smoove don't know why there is so much hate flyin' round up in here. Massillon win a title, poundin' people through the process, just like Smoove operationates, and people are upsettified that they QB not all-county, yet he is All-Ohio??? Hmmmm.......Get you heads out yo' rear ends, Massillon PEEPS!!!! Y'all won the smack down, the uppitty-up, the big-boppin' burrito, y'all!!!! Get a picture of that hardware and flaunt that thang!!!! Don't be tryin' to denuncificate and denouncify some other player's accomplishmentations.....As Smoove always do when there is a Concessionary Chickie that show mad respectification to Smoove and we go out on the town, "Let's go get it on!" Mad Props to Massillon. THAT was one bad-bootied defense y'all had, and while Smoove don't bow down to nones, well, unless Halle Berry would come up callin' out to Smoove (which has happenated before), then Smoove would definitely obligify whatever that fine thang would want, Smoove give the maddest props and accolades to Massillon for a well-done season.

Now QUIT THE pettiness, y'all, be like Smoove and just have kindness in yo tone, sweetness in yo words, and peace in yo hearts!! It is Christmas time, y'all, there lots of thangs to be grouchy and mean-spiritational about, but just try to be more like Smoove and be full of The Season and be grateful for FINALLY seeing Massillon win a 'ship on the field! Halle-Glory Berry, come find Smoove, Girl!!!! Smoove aims to Please!!! Smoove out
Gotta love those third person narratives using words ONLY SMOOVE can create. Operstionates, denuncificate, happenated, obligify, mean spiritational,…… funny thing is we can all pretty much understand the words that cannot be found in Webster’s 😂

Looks like almost seventy-two hours have passed and this is still causing consternation. I doubt the sportswriters, coaches and casual readers have put any thought into this postscript. It’s a numbers game and sometimes good players don’t make the cut. The Columbus Dispatch does the same thing in making sure all divisions are represented on their metro team. I will add I saw Owen’s play this year and agree with his inclusion as an all-state player.
I’ll add it’s not uncommon for players in the central district to make a first or second team district after not being given lesser accolades in their respective leagues. Why? The greater Columbus area has grown so much there are so few smaller division schools and some of those compete in leagues like the Ohio Heritage Conference with a SW Ohio footprint. Madison Plains comes to mind.
The concept of all state or district is a dated concept anyways as there are fewer sportswriters and most simply rubber stamp nominees. I doubt a Cincinnati Enquirer or Toledo Blade sportswriter voting has seen Owens play.

Last edited:
Gotta love those third person narratives using words ONLY SMOOVE can create. Operstionates, denuncificate, happenated, obligify, mean spiritational,…… funny thing is we can all pretty much understand the words that cannot be found in Webster’s 😂
Crimson and Black--
Smoove appreciates your appreciation of Smoove's Smoovish languagination. Smoove don't creatify nothin' specialized, just what come to Smoove's mind and Smoove just put it on paper, y'all, well, actualizationally, on the screen! Smoove just want to keep all peeps happified, and Smoove definitely do it with the Concessionary Chickies, so why not make the pleasuration available to all y'all?! Many props and appreciations to you, Crimson and Black! Smoove actually feeling kinda Crimson and BLack this mornin' as Smoove had a little too much hootch last night at Smoove's company Christmas party........the bottle hit Smoove harder than Smoove anticipateified that it might. Blessed day to y'all, enjoy the day doin' what y'all do and who y'all do!!! Smoove out!

Who was the last great "homegrown" QB from Massillon? Longwell? Does Massillon not develop their own players from the district or do they rely heavily on more talented players to come into the program? ( Owens, Willtrell Hartson, Te'Jamere Nash, Marcus Moore Jr. Andrai Jones, Munford)

A lot of the flack towards Massillon is because of the homer posters on here. Not to mention actively recruiting players from local schools to compensate for their lack of home talent and their fans denying it lol people would respect the program more if they just owned it.