D7 R25 2024

A guy who has basically been a .500 coach until he went 0-10 last season!
Oh No GIF by StickerGiant

Have been all in on Dalton since 2016. Hard to believe that I watched the disaster that happened at JFK take place just 1 year ago and thought to myself this would never happen at Dalton because Coach Dial is going to be a lifer there and they've got a really good thing going! The team realizes they're potential after a week 1 slobber-knocker with Kirtland, makes it all the way to their first ever state title game....things have never been better! 3 1/2 months later, Dalton is literally following the JFK blueprints for how to F*** up a great thing. I'm in shock, I'm in disbelief. I'm mostly sad for the players - all the momentum was in the right direction, I really believed that the program was to a point that the large graduating class would not set them back a ton. Just yesterday we had them pegged as regional favorite if they stayed in R25.....now, 6 wins is realistic, maybe less.

I just don't get how the administration doesn't bend over backwards to keep Dial - and I guarantee they think they hit a homerun with this hire because that's the kind of arrogant people they have running things there. A guy who has basically been a .500 coach until he went 0-10 last season!
Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

Dalton was one of the most complete teams I watched this past season. Everyone was on the same page with the same goal. Shame on the administration for letting this happen. I just hope they don't turn out like JFK did so quickly.

I just don't get how the administration doesn't bend over backwards to keep Dial - and I guarantee they think they hit a homerun with this hire because that's the kind of arrogant people they have running things there. A guy who has basically been a .500 coach until he went 0-10 last season!
You obviously haven't been around very many Wayne Co. Peeps...no offense @Raylan_Givens or @thePITman. They are very arrogant. Remember, they are the reason competitive balance exists. They rival any suburb of Columbus, Cincy or Cleveland for number of people who believe they just know more than anyone else.

Have been all in on Dalton since 2016. Hard to believe that I watched the disaster that happened at JFK take place just 1 year ago and thought to myself this would never happen at Dalton because Coach Dial is going to be a lifer there and they've got a really good thing going! The team realizes they're potential after a week 1 slobber-knocker with Kirtland, makes it all the way to their first ever state title game....things have never been better! 3 1/2 months later, Dalton is literally following the JFK blueprints for how to F*** up a great thing. I'm in shock, I'm in disbelief. I'm mostly sad for the players - all the momentum was in the right direction, I really believed that the program was to a point that the large graduating class would not set them back a ton. Just yesterday we had them pegged as regional favorite if they stayed in R25.....now, 6 wins is realistic, maybe less.

KARMA...............................Misery loves company..........................Let me know when you would like to talk about your feelings....................I can run you through the emotional gauntlet

KARMA...............................Misery loves company..........................Let me know when you would like to talk about your feelings....................I can run you through the emotional gauntlet
Danville did something similar in the mid 90's and again later.
Doug Frye hired in 89
'89-Goes 6-4
'90-Danville went 8-2
'91-7-3
'92-9-2 (lost in NC playoffs)
Coach Doug Frye leaves for Bucyrus. Record at Danville is 30-11)
Hire Dave Carroll in '93
'93-9-1 (only loss to Jonathon Alder) but beat state ranked EK who went toe to toe with NC in the regional final losing on a 2pt conversion I believe.
'94-10-1 (Lost to Columbiana in Regional Semis)
Coach Carroll is hired at Garaway. Record is 19-2 at Danville.
In 95 they hire Steve Carr to be head coach over two assistants for Frye and Carroll. Carr's resume boasted a letter of recommendation from John Cooper because he was a student assistant at OSU.
'95-10-1(Lost to NC in Playoffs) because the culture was still strong from Frye and Carroll.
'96-2-8
Carr resigns, 12-9 career record.
in '97 they hire one of the assistants they pass over and he has to rebuild the culture.
'97-3-7
'98-9-2 (Lost to Monroeville in Playoffs)
'99 they hire Ed Honabarger and he proceeds to go 52-21 over the next 6 years and get the first 10 playoff victories in Danville history, 2 regional titles, and 2 regional runner ups. After he left, Danville had a new coach every year for the next 4 years and Honabarger returned in 2010 to go 78-44 win 10 more playoff games and 2 more regional titles.

Wayne Co is a really nice place. Good communities & great people.

That said, accurate self-perception is not one of their collective strengths.
Totally agree. I have many friendships in Wayne County and know many great people who call it home now, or are from there. The institutions and schools in the county tend operate in a way that expresses a superiority or greatness over what anyone else thinks or does.

I agree. That will be interesting for sure. 3 things I love about the hire:

1. He is a Lucas guy through and through.
2. He is a good man who will want nothing more than to carry on the winning tradition.
3. He is a fellow '93 grad and a friend.
So the implied threat is he HAS to do well because you already have his cell phone #? ;)

So the implied threat is he HAS to do well because you already have his cell phone #? ;)
He WILL do well for the following reasons:

- He comes from phenomenal parents. Great people.
- He knows what it takes to succeed, in life and on the field.
- He graduated from Lucas High School in 1993. We oooze excellence. It's second nature.

Totally agree. I have many friendships in Wayne County and know many great people who call it home now, or are from there. The institutions and schools in the county tend operate in a way that expresses a superiority or greatness over what anyone else thinks or does.
This is painting with a VERY broad brush, but the area struggles between a "we don't need to change" attitude (ie - Waynedale taking 20+ years to get a new building approved because they wanted to save outdate buildings) and "we know what we're doing" (ie - Smithville/Schrock soap operat and now maybe Dalton).

It might be me, but I respect the first one more because it acknowledges that while there may be shortcomings but they're happy with what they are & have. The 2nd one is just so vanity driven it makes you feel bad for the kids who have to deal with the results.

This is painting with a VERY broad brush, but the area struggles between a "we don't need to change" attitude (ie - Waynedale taking 20+ years to get a new building approved because they wanted to save outdate buildings) and "we know what we're doing" (ie - Smithville/Schrock soap operat and now maybe Dalton).

It might be me, but I respect the first one more because it acknowledges that while there may be shortcomings but they're happy with what they are & have. The 2nd one is just so vanity driven it makes you feel bad for the kids who have to deal with the results.
100% agree. Many places have that, "we don't need to change" attitude when it comes to facilities, but they still are open to other things that help the programs be successful. Case in point: the people in Lucas refuse to build a new building because of a predominant attitude of, "I went to that building and it was fine for me." And Danville had people throwing a fit about the removal of a building that hasn't housed students in 20 years. It's not an arrogance thing more of a fear of change to me thing.

The other group you mentioned are more dangerous. They know more than everyone else and will show you how they are right. Shrock got doomed at Smithville by a HS Principal who was new and didn't have a backbone, a super who wasn't going to do anything to jeopardize his contract and a board who thought they knew more than anyone else. Seems very similar to what's going on at Dalton now. Norwayne may be the most consistent district in the WCL as far as being a mix of both. At least since Maltarich arrived in 02.