D IV State Semi-Final: Steubenville (12-2) vs Wyoming (14-0)

Who wins?

• Steubenville

Votes: 58 43.9%
  • Wyoming

Votes: 74 56.1%

• Total voters
My son who, coaches HS freshmen,was told that 5-6 Taft players made a campus visit to Purdue and all were offered during that visit. I can’t vouch for the veracity but that story is out there.
Purdue has indeed offered Mysta Moore (OL), Elijah Garnes (OL), Lance Byndon (DL), and Gavin Crawford (CB) Four players. Whether they were offered during their campus visit........?

Also, Elias Rudolph was offered by Ohio State back in June. Larry Johnson was reportedly very impressed.
So yeah. five D1 recruits --> pretty remarkable for this DIV school

I don't know if this is the best team Big Red has played, or if they even have the best defense. What I do know is that Wyoming was undefeated in the regular season and finished with just over 25 points. That tells me that they didn't play a very good schedule. I havnt seen Wyoming play, but I'm saying ,I'm not believing the hype on this team. Win or lose I'd bet anybody that Big Red will score at least 4 times on this team
The combined records of teams Wyoming has played this year is 77 - 81. 22 of those wins are from Taft (played them twice so counted them twice). DP has Wyoming schedule at 83 of 105. To be in the final four and still having a combined opponent win total under .500 says something. They are obviously a good team but it doesn’t look like they have really faced much adversity or have been tested this season.

Looking at the same criteria for Big Red and their opponents are a combined 88 - 61. DP has the Big Red schedule ranked 1 of 105 in D4. They have also outscored their opponents 461 (32ppg) -188 (13ppg) while pulling their starters early in the 3rd quarter and kneeling on extra points on numerous occasions.

All that said, it looks like Big Red will be the toughest team Wyoming has played this year (which it should be considering we are 15 weeks in). I’m not going to say that The Red are going to put a running clock on the cowboys but we WILL score. Looking forward to a banger Saturday in Columbus!

Purdue has indeed offered Mysta Moore (OL), Elijah Garnes (OL), Lance Byndon (DL), and Gavin Crawford (CB) Four players. Whether they were offered during their campus visit........?

Also, Elias Rudolph was offered by Ohio State back in June. Larry Johnson was reportedly very impressed.
So yeah. five D1 recruits --> pretty remarkable for this DIV school
Larry Johnson Best D Line Coach in the country!

The combined records of teams Wyoming has played this year is 77 - 81. 22 of those wins are from Taft (played them twice so counted them twice). DP has Wyoming schedule at 83 of 105. To be in the final four and still having a combined opponent win total under .500 says something. They are obviously a good team but it doesn’t look like they have really faced much adversity or have been tested this season.

Looking at the same criteria for Big Red and their opponents are a combined 88 - 61. DP has the Big Red schedule ranked 1 of 105 in D4. They have also outscored their opponents 461 (32ppg) -188 (13ppg) while pulling their starters early in the 3rd quarter and kneeling on extra points on numerous occasions.

All that said, it looks like Big Red will be the toughest team Wyoming has played this year (which it should be considering we are 15 weeks in). I’m not going to say that The Red are going to put a running clock on the cowboys but we WILL score. Looking forward to a banger Saturday in Columbus!
Taft (this year) is/was a lot like (a Division IV version of) the Pickerington Central teams of a couple of years ago-- very simple scheme, no imagination, doing basically one thing-- and trying to rely on superior athletes to just overwhelm their opponents. Taft was Pick Central-lite (circa 2016-2020)-- with similar quality of coaching, athletes, scheme, and execution...

(IMO) It's likely that Taft fielded better athletes than Steubenville will-- but did not have better coaching and execution-- Steubenville (from what I have heard-- I've not seen them) will come in with far better execution (due to more competent coaching) than Taft-- but (also, from what I have heard) the scheme will not be that much more complex than Taft's...

So, I'd handicap this game as a Steubenville trying to do what Taft did (scheme-wise), with lesser athleticism, but better coaching and execution... It remains to be seen if Steubenville's (presumably) better coaching can make up for that lesser athletic ability with better execution, to allow Steubenville to get over the hump that Taft could not...

Yes, Taft was far and away the best team that Wyoming faced this year-- and yes, Wyoming faced a LOT of bad teams this year (a product of the weak league that Wyoming is in, which they can do little about)-- but Taft IS a very talented (and, dare I say, very good) Division IV team...I tend to doubt those (posting here) who presume that Steubenville will be notably tougher to beat than Taft... we'll know after this game, if Steubenville or Taft is "the toughest team Wyoming has played this year"...

Does anybody else find it rather surprising that Steubenville, having played 103 playoff games now, has never played a Cincy area team before this game? I think Harrison is the only Hamilton County team that Big Red has played in the post season.
Harrison is in Hamilton County but if you stand on some back porches with binoculars you can see Indiana from there.

Much has been said about Hester, 3000 yard rusher on the year...almost. Very good, strong RB. I put him in the 4.45-4.5 speed range but his quickness to start, stop and jump start are very much above average. I think someone said, he runs angry and always falls forward and I would agree with that statement. I like the kid since he is the same at the first snap as he his at the last snap.

Now for the Cowboy defense.
They give up an average of 120 ypg while having 33 Sacks, 62 TFL and 18 INTs. Clinton Massie appears to be the only team to have a rushing TD against them. Their round 2 game, and though it was tight in the 1st half (35-0 final), they gave up 170 yards passing to a backup QB and had 2 INTs. The other teams that either scored or had some success were spread as well. Could they struggle with a spead team that has the athletes, receivers/QB, to match up with them...I think so. I do know this defense flies to the ball, they are fast and aggressive against the rush.

Their D stat leaders
#2 ILB - 6'2" 215 lbs = 124 tackles. Also, the starting QB and that seems a bit odd if you ask me, lol
#55 DT - 6'1" 270 lbls = 111 tackles with 9 sacks
#12 OLB - 5'11" 190 lbs = 84 tackles
#18 LB - 5'11" 180 lbs = 87 tackles but I dont believe he starts
#6 OLB - 5'10" 190 lbs = 85 tackles
#8 DE- 6'2" 210 lbs = 78 tackles and this cat can play
#24 CB - 5'9" 175 lbs = 5 INTs. They have 18 INTs on the year and this seems to be their ball hawker.

I don't know a thing about BR but if they have that spread offense, they will probably make hay in their passing game. Wyomings rush D is very, very stout.

This should be a really good game and both teams are in the semi finals for a reason. East meets West...

Does anybody else find it rather surprising that Steubenville, having played 103 playoff games now, has never played a Cincy area team before this game? I think Harrison is the only Hamilton County team that Big Red has played in the post season.
Anyone from Cincinnati would tell you Harrison is just as much a “Cincinnati area” team as Wyoming. Everything in Hamilton county is the Cincinnati suburbs.

I think when go reach the semifinals & you have two teams that are talented like Big Red & Wyoming the outcome will ultimately be decided by matchups & counters by the coaching staffs.

Both teams are run first teams, Wyoming has a star tailback while Big Red rotates 3 tailbacks with different styles two guys that weigh 230 plus a slasher with speed that weighs around 160. The first thing I would look for in the game is the feeling out process & which team can establish both lines of scrimmage. The next thing to look for is what team can overcome adversity like a costly penalty, turnover, giving up a big play or a touchdown. The last thing I will look for is what teams unsung heroes step up with a finals berth on the line, that person could be someone that’s not on page 1 of the scouting report.

No outcome in this game would surprise me, but I think Big Red will have more counters throughout this game with their passing game being the difference.

Anyone from Cincinnati would tell you Harrison is just as much a “Cincinnati area” team as Wyoming. Everything in Hamilton county is the Cincinnati suburbs.

Perhaps I should have clarified and said that Big Red has never before played a team that OHSAA lists as "Cincinnati xxxxx." For example, OHSAA does not list Harrison as "Cincinnati Harrison," but they do list Wyoming as "Cincinnati Wyoming." Point taken though.

Taft (this year) is/was a lot like (a Division IV version of) the Pickerington Central teams of a couple of years ago-- very simple scheme, no imagination, doing basically one thing-- and trying to rely on superior athletes to just overwhelm their opponents. Taft was Pick Central-lite (circa 2016-2020)-- with similar quality of coaching, athletes, scheme, and execution...

(IMO) It's likely that Taft fielded better athletes than Steubenville will-- but did not have better coaching and execution-- Steubenville (from what I have heard-- I've not seen them) will come in with far better execution (due to more competent coaching) than Taft-- but (also, from what I have heard) the scheme will not be that much more complex than Taft's...

So, I'd handicap this game as a Steubenville trying to do what Taft did (scheme-wise), with lesser athleticism, but better coaching and execution... It remains to be seen if Steubenville's (presumably) better coaching can make up for that lesser athletic ability with better execution, to allow Steubenville to get over the hump that Taft could not...

Yes, Taft was far and away the best team that Wyoming faced this year-- and yes, Wyoming faced a LOT of bad teams this year (a product of the weak league that Wyoming is in, which they can do little about)-- but Taft IS a very talented (and, dare I say, very good) Division IV team...I tend to doubt those (posting here) who presume that Steubenville will be notably tougher to beat than Taft... we'll know after this game, if Steubenville or Taft is "the toughest team Wyoming has played this year"...
I'm not sure what you've heard or whom you heard it from but Big Red's scheme is multitudes more complex and extensive than Taft's! Big Red will run several plays out of several different formations, with different personnel! What you thought you saw on film as one thing turns out to be something completely different that night! I'm not knocking Taft when I say this, because Taft is a very good football team, but Big Red is way better than Taft! And yes, Taft probably does have way more pure athletes than Big Red, but I'm willing to bet that Big Red's execute a lot better.

Much has been said about Hester, 3000 yard rusher on the year...almost. Very good, strong RB. I put him in the 4.45-4.5 speed range but his quickness to start, stop and jump start are very much above average. I think someone said, he runs angry and always falls forward and I would agree with that statement. I like the kid since he is the same at the first snap as he his at the last snap.

Now for the Cowboy defense.
They give up an average of 120 ypg while having 33 Sacks, 62 TFL and 18 INTs. Clinton Massie appears to be the only team to have a rushing TD against them. Their round 2 game, and though it was tight in the 1st half (35-0 final), they gave up 170 yards passing to a backup QB and had 2 INTs. The other teams that either scored or had some success were spread as well. Could they struggle with a spead team that has the athletes, receivers/QB, to match up with them...I think so. I do know this defense flies to the ball, they are fast and aggressive against the rush.

Their D stat leaders
#2 ILB - 6'2" 215 lbs = 124 tackles. Also, the starting QB and that seems a bit odd if you ask me, lol
#55 DT - 6'1" 270 lbls = 111 tackles with 9 sacks
#12 OLB - 5'11" 190 lbs = 84 tackles
#18 LB - 5'11" 180 lbs = 87 tackles but I dont believe he starts
#6 OLB - 5'10" 190 lbs = 85 tackles
#8 DE- 6'2" 210 lbs = 78 tackles and this cat can play
#24 CB - 5'9" 175 lbs = 5 INTs. They have 18 INTs on the year and this seems to be their ball hawker.

I don't know a thing about BR but if they have that spread offense, they will probably make hay in their passing game. Wyomings rush D is very, very stout.

This should be a really good game and both teams are in the semi finals for a reason. East meets West...
Big Red’s multiple offense makes them difficult to defend. As an example, they may line up in the “stick I” to convert a 3rd and 2 and then run 4-5 guys on the field and line up in a spread look. All while snapping the ball in around 20 seconds. You also can’t just key on one guy. They use 4-5 backs and while none of them are a CJ Hester they are all very capable. A mix of 230 lb bruisers and home run threats. Big Red will look to establish the run but if the Cowboys stack the box they will not hesitate to throw the ball. Just a lot to prepare for. Should be a great test for both teams.

Big Red’s multiple offense makes them difficult to defend. As an example, they may line up in the “stick I” to convert a 3rd and 2 and then run 4-5 guys on the field and line up in a spread look. All while snapping the ball in around 20 seconds. You also can’t just key on one guy. They use 4-5 backs and while none of them are a CJ Hester they are all very capable. A mix of 230 lb bruisers and home run threats. Big Red will look to establish the run but if the Cowboys stack the box they will not hesitate to throw the ball. Just a lot to prepare for. Should be a great test for both teams.
I cant attend this weeks game but I hope to read the updates and opinons of both clubs. You are correct, great test for both teams and no matter the outcome, BEAT GLENVILLE!!

Thanks for the BR info.

I think when go reach the semifinals & you have two teams that are talented like Big Red & Wyoming the outcome will ultimately be decided by matchups & counters by the coaching staffs.

Both teams are run first teams, Wyoming has a star tailback while Big Red rotates 3 tailbacks with different styles two guys that weigh 230 plus a slasher with speed that weighs around 160. The first thing I would look for in the game is the feeling out process & which team can establish both lines of scrimmage. The next thing to look for is what team can overcome adversity like a costly penalty, turnover, giving up a big play or a touchdown. The last thing I will look for is what teams unsung heroes step up with a finals berth on the line, that person could be someone that’s not on page 1 of the scouting report.

No outcome in this game would surprise me, but I think Big Red will have more counters throughout this game with their passing game being the difference.
Two running backs "that weigh 230"-- in Division IV-- where offensive and defensive linemen often don't weigh that much? That's impressive... I'd be curious whether those two fellas would register a weight that high, if asked to step on a scale in their skivvies...

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you've heard or whom you heard it from but Big Red's scheme is multitudes more complex and extensive than Taft's! Big Red will run several plays out of several different formations, with different personnel! What you thought you saw on film as one thing turns out to be something completely different that night! I'm not knocking Taft when I say this, because Taft is a very good football team, but Big Red is way better than Taft! And yes, Taft probably does have way more pure athletes than Big Red, but I'm willing to bet that Big Red's execute a lot better.
Well-- I stand corrected (I did mention that I hadn't seen Steubenville)-- in the past, most of the posts about Steubenville seemed to echo the kind of discussion that I used to see about Youngstown Cardinal Mooney (a few years back), and Kirtland and Chardon (and Clinton Massie) now-- that they are (nearly) an exclusively running team, that tries to impose its will on the other team through superior execution in the running game-- and almost NEVER throw a pass... Based on your post above (and RollRedBuckeye's as well), I guess that is not the Steubenville of today.

That is no typo in the program, Spenser Ostovich rotates at tailback for Big Red(6-0 230) & is a standout DE as well. He wrestled at the 220 weight class as a sophomore. Gavin Bozica is the same size with more speed who a nice burst that can break long runs, & has this season.

Well-- I stand corrected (I did mention that I hadn't seen Steubenville)-- in the past, most of the posts about Steubenville seemed to echo the kind of discussion that I used to see about Youngstown Cardinal Mooney (a few years back), and Kirtland and Chardon (and Clinton Massie) now-- that they are (nearly) an exclusively running team, that tries to impose its will on the other team through superior execution in the running game-- and almost NEVER throw a pass... Based on your post above (and RollRedBuckeye's as well), I guess that is not the Steubenville of today.
The Big Red has always had a very good passing game. Yes, it is set up with play action but our yardage totals are very balanced. Obviously that depends on personnel. You have to have a kid that can throw the ball. Big Red has been blessed with very good play at the position over the years. We are no where near a run only team. Reno and staff do a very good job of simply taking what the defense gives them. Load the box and they’ll throw it a ton.

Two running backs "that weigh 230"-- in Division IV-- where offensive and defensive linemen often don't weigh that much? That's impressive... I'd be curious whether those two fellas rise would register a weight that high, if asked to step on a scale in their skivvies...
They are big strong kids whose size is as advertised. There will be 5 or 6 kids who carry the ball in pretty equal amounts. All with creating a change of pace between power running and speed. If Bozica carried it 25 times a game he would pile up the kid of stats that the kid from Wyoming has. He and Ostovich are truly punishing backs and Falks and Minnefield are the speed guys.

They have a 1000 yard receiver in Hill

Is everyone missing 32 and 23 carries the last 6 weeks becoming less and less while 24 and 28 are getting more??

Wow, those are some eye opening hard hitting facts.
No "IMO" B.S. commentary, just raw data.

Now the logical questions?
1. is Wyoming a product of their schedule?
2. What happens if they get punched in the mouth early?
3. Taft vs Hartley who wins.

you are who you play..

Great research and s critical point that adds much needed prospective to us pontificators

Last edited:
Taft lived in the backfield all night. 33 Mr Football had more negative runs. His 54 yd TD was a gang tackle/scrum when a DLineman knocked off one of the tacklers and he broke free. That was the game.
FACT our RB’s are just as talented. 33 he’s a good back for sure.

Neither team could pass. Both teams just dropped back and threw it up under pressure. Wyoming plays 2 QBS the one that is left handed ALWAYS rolls to the left.

The first series for Taft they gained 3 yds a rush ran it right off tackle and then wildcat with 11 FB size to get the hard yds. They drove it down the field then penalties. No FG kicker. Went for it and threw a duck, INT

Wyoming is not good with speed across the Oline. When they needed to pass the oline doesn’t hold their blocks, had issues with who to block when Taft shifted or stepped up in the gaps at times 5 or 6 on the lines. The DE‘s strung everything up the field and to the sidelines. Made Mr Football cut it back into the help. Taft gang tackled well and flowed to the ball in waves gang tackling.

Taft threw I think 2 ducks for int and fumbled a punt. It was a slow moving game neither team had much motion with their offensive schemes. Reminded me of Massie O in 17’.

DB’s are small and all look the same (reminds me of Lake/Massie) 55 DL is really good along with 6 LB, tough up the middle. 8 DE gets caught at times looking in the backfield rather then setting the edge (Taft ran at him) 42 really plays his position well. Reminds me of another 42 (Mark Palmer) from our 91’ team.
Steubenville does not have Taft's speed. Taft's ends/interior 7 were a big problem for Wyoming. 75% of Taft D line were 6'3+ with the other being about 250 lbs. 1/2 CB's were 6'3
Won't be an issue against Steubenville. Not a good matchup for Steubenville

Wow, those are some eye opening hard hitting facts.
No "IMO" B.S. commentary, just raw data.

Now the logical questions?
1. is Wyoming a product of their schedule?
2. What happens if they get punched in the mouth early?
3. Taft vs Hartley who wins.

you are who you play..

Great research and s critical point that adds much needed prospective to us pontificators
FYI The defending D-4 state champions (Clinton Massie) "punched Wyoming in the mouth" first in their playoff game this year. They actually had a 73 yard scoring drive to start the game (BTW only Navy runs the triple option better than Massie). At which point, Wyoming rattled off 40 points in response. Wyoming has 23 seniors who have played together since they were in peewee. They have a record of something like 48 and 3. They have been to 3 out of the last 4 Division four finals. They will not be rattled! They are use to the spotlight. (BTW Taft would probably put a running clock on Hartley) IMHO.

I'll go with:

Wyoming 14
Steubenville 7

I have had the utmost respect for Wyoming and their talented defense. I think they can still win this game, but it'll be a low scoring, smashmouth football game. Hester could be the reason that Wyoming prevails if he can get loose.