D IV State Semi-Final: Steubenville (12-2) vs Wyoming (14-0)

Who wins?

• Steubenville

Votes: 58 43.9%
  • Wyoming

Votes: 74 56.1%

• Total voters
Great to see Columbus get such a big game again. Another step in Columbus hosting the state final. Of course Columbus will screw it up as they did the last time they had it.
As for this game Wyoming by two or three touchdowns.
Amen......Columbus is the 14th largest city in America and still acts as if it were a small town (Nothing wrong with small towns).....but come on, there is more to this city than OSU.....I am so sick of being a college town....and I am sick of the Buckeyes....Where's the NFL team or MLB team? Where's the subway or trains from downtown to Delaware? At least, get the state finals back here....right in the middle of the state.....

As for the Steubenville-Wyoming game.....I hope it is a good one......Being from the OV, I have to pull for the Big Red......

Taft lived in the backfield all night. 33 Mr Football had more negative runs. His 54 yd TD was a gang tackle/scrum when a DLineman knocked off one of the tacklers and he broke free. That was the game.
FACT our RB’s our just as talented. 33 he’s a good back for sure.

Neither team could pass. Both teams just dropped back and threw it up under pressure. Wyoming plays 2 QBS the one that is left handed ALWAYS rolls to the left.

The first series for Taft they gained 3 yds a rush ran it right off tackle and then wildcat with 11 FB size to get the hard yds. They drove it down the field then penalties. No FG kicker. Went for it and threw a duck, INT

Wyoming is not good with speed across the Oline. When they needed to pass the oline doesn’t hold their blocks, had issues with who to block when Taft shifted or stepped up in the gaps at times 5 or 6 on the lines. The DE‘s strung everything up the field and to the sidelines. Made Mr Football cut it back into the help. Taft gang tackled well and flowed to the ball in waves gang tackling.

Taft threw I think 2 ducks for int and fumbled a punt. It was a slow moving game neither team had much motion with their offensive schemes. Reminded me of Massie O in 17’.

DB’s are small and all look the same (reminds me of Lake/Massie) 55 DL is really good along with 6 LB, tough up the middle. 8 DE gets caught at times looking in the backfield rather then setting the edge (Taft ran at him) 42 really plays his position well. Reminds me of another 42 (Mark Palmer) from our 91’ team.
Sounds to me like Taft must be awfully good. They are basically the only team to be competitive with Wyoming. I’m thinking if Wyoming is a 90% run team The Big Red has a shot at winning. Not sure of the quality of the 13 other teams they beat. I can tell you this I don’t think many of us Big Red fans expected a final four appearance. We have gotten there in spite of the insane amount of penalties week after week. We do have some exceptional talent at a couple skill positions. Reno hasn’t changed much over the years. Establish the run, work in some play action and hit some long ones down field. Pretty balanced yardage wise. About 170 passing and 225 rushing averages per game. I’d say SHS is definitely a decided underdog.

Amen......Columbus is the 14th largest city in America and still acts as if it were a small town (Nothing wrong with small towns).....but come on, there is more to this city than OSU.....I am so sick of being a college town....and I am sick of the Buckeyes....Where's the NFL team or MLB team? Where's the subway or trains from downtown to Delaware? At least, get the state finals back here....right in the middle of the state.....

As for the Steubenville-Wyoming game.....I hope it is a good one......Being from the OV, I have to pull for the Big Red......
Professional sports teams cannot and don’t want to compete with OSU. I lived in Cbus for 40 years and actually loved it. If you’re not a Buckeye fan but a big sports fan, Columbus would be hard to love. They do have MLS & NHL teams. All in all I think Columbus is a great sports town but, I’m a crazy rabid Buckeye fan.

Not really. Big Red started in D2, then bounced back and forth between D3 & D4. Most of the regular playoff participants from Cincy area are in D1 & D2. The decline in the Cincinnati city league schools enrollment and success seems to be relatively recent, as far as I can tell. Statewide, Youngstown City dropped down first, then Dayton and Cleveland. Cincinnati seems to be the last in the line of this trend.

That's true for the most part but not for Wyoming. This season is their 28th playoff appearance and other than the two times they qualified before 1980 when they were AA, they have always qualified as D3 or D4. It just seems, to me anyway, that in all the years Big Red has qualified and all the games they have played that they would have run into a Cincy team at least once before.

This sounds like it should be a great game. Good luck to both teams.

This is gonna be a game. Wyoming is definitely the best team Big Red has played this year to this point. But I would also say Big Red is the best team Wyoming has played this year to this point.

A key point in this game will be if Big Red cuts down on the penalty yards. If BR gets hit with penalties every drive it will be a long night.

Both teams have rich program traditions. Looking forward to a great game!

We are Big Red, we always have a chance!! RRR!!

I really hope this thread can continue to be about the game and not idiot adults talking bad about kids or where the kids go to school at. This is a football thread and it should be about football and nothing else.

I really hope this thread can continue to be about the game and not idiot adults talking bad about kids or where the kids go to school at. This is a football thread and it should be about football and nothing else.
Honestly don’t bring attention to it! If it’s not brought up and we don’t feed into it this thread will stay on track

This is gonna be a game. Wyoming is definitely the best team Big Red has played this year to this point. But I would also say Big Red is the best team Wyoming has played this year to this point.

A key point in this game will be if Big Red cuts down on the penalty yards. If BR gets hit with penalties every drive it will be a long night.

Both teams have rich program traditions. Looking forward to a great game!

We are Big Red, we always have a chance!! RRR!!
One Correction RollRed. ( We Are) is exclusive to The Thundering Herd. ie: WE ARE.........MARSHALL !!!
Your just The Big Red.
Good Luck @ The Crew

It's nice to see a thread about the upcoming game and not a running commentary of grievances. Already I know Wyoming is one of the most winningest programs along with Steubenville and Massillon and that they are a run centric team.......brother that defense must be something, 5 touchdowns in 14 games.......I no longer live in Ohio (Olympic Peninsula Washington) but follow on internet radio. This is a game in Reno's wheelhouse, decided underdogs, Reno will stress tradition and the mental aspects of the game, penalties. Reno is seldom surprised by a team, and the team will respond.
not to segue off topic, but western Washington (Olympic peninsula, Seattle, Tacoma, etc)- in a nutshell, how's the HS football out that way??

Sounds to me like Taft must be awfully good. They are basically the only team to be competitive with Wyoming. I’m thinking if Wyoming is a 90% run team The Big Red has a shot at winning. Not sure of the quality of the 13 other teams they beat. I can tell you this I don’t think many of us Big Red fans expected a final four appearance. We have gotten there in spite of the insane amount of penalties week after week. We do have some exceptional talent at a couple skill positions. Reno hasn’t changed much over the years. Establish the run, work in some play action and hit some long ones down field. Pretty balanced yardage wise. About 170 passing and 225 rushing averages per game. I’d say SHS is definitely a decided underdog.
Tafts defense is incredibly good! Taft has 5 players with division 1 offers! I believe all of them are on defense. One of their defensive ends named Elias Rudoloh, has 26 D-1 offers! Including Ohio Srate and Tennessee to name a few. I doubt that any other D-4 school will have a defense that good. Including Glenville! Glenville might be better overall. But not defensively! Both of Tafts defensive ends are about 6'3". Their total defense is big, fast, and strong! Between that and the weather, points were hard to come by.

I’ve seen both teams. Wyoming has more discipline. They execute at a high level on both sides of the ball. When you see a team like that it is fun to watch. I think Steuby has better athletes all around. Taft showed that hester can somewhat be contained. If Steuby can do that and make wyomings QB make plays they have a shot to win.
It's interesting that you say this, having (as you say) seen both teams-- are you saying that Steubenville's athletes (taken in aggregate) are better than Wyoming's (in aggregate)-- or, are you saying that Steubenville has better athletes at every position?...

I'd find the latter to be a bit hard to believe-- as Wyoming has some top-drawer athletes (for Division IV) at several positions... whereas it is more easily believable that Steubenville (a MUCH larger city than Wyoming-- Wyoming is less than 3 square miles and has less than 9000 residents, while Steubenville is more than 10 square miles and has more than 18,000 residents) might have aggregate athleticism that surpasses Wyoming, with Steubenville having a much larger population base from which to draw...

Taft lived in the backfield all night. 33 Mr Football had more negative runs. His 54 yd TD was a gang tackle/scrum when a DLineman knocked off one of the tacklers and he broke free. That was the game.
FACT our RB’s our just as talented. 33 he’s a good back for sure.

Neither team could pass. Both teams just dropped back and threw it up under pressure. Wyoming plays 2 QBS the one that is left handed ALWAYS rolls to the left.

The first series for Taft they gained 3 yds a rush ran it right off tackle and then wildcat with 11 FB size to get the hard yds. They drove it down the field then penalties. No FG kicker. Went for it and threw a duck, INT

Wyoming is not good with speed across the Oline. When they needed to pass the oline doesn’t hold their blocks, had issues with who to block when Taft shifted or stepped up in the gaps at times 5 or 6 on the lines. The DE‘s strung everything up the field and to the sidelines. Made Mr Football cut it back into the help. Taft gang tackled well and flowed to the ball in waves gang tackling.

Taft threw I think 2 ducks for int and fumbled a punt. It was a slow moving game neither team had much motion with their offensive schemes. Reminded me of Massie O in 17’.

DB’s are small and all look the same (reminds me of Lake/Massie) 55 DL is really good along with 6 LB, tough up the middle. 8 DE gets caught at times looking in the backfield rather then setting the edge (Taft ran at him) 42 really plays his position well. Reminds me of another 42 (Mark Palmer) from our 91’ team.
Not to make excuses for what you saw in Wyoming's game against Taft Saturday (the weather would have had no effect on the ability of offensive lineman to execute pass blocking), the weather certainly DID have some effect (in that game) on the ability of (both teams') QBs to throw the ball-- the wind was just HOWLING for a good bit of that game-- I don't know the wind speed, but it had to be more than 20 mph for most of the 3rd quarter... I don't think that entirely explains Wyoming's lack of success throwing the ball Saturday (the Wyo QBs were far short of accurate with their throws), but I do think if the weather is better this week (as I think it is projected to be), then you can expect Wyoming to throw the ball more effectively than they did against Taft-- Wyo has traditionally had featured a multi-faceted (not a one-dimensional) offense, that mixes in frequent passes (as well as a decent number of specialty "gadget" or trick plays)...

Yes. All but one starter is healthy and the sophomore who stepped in and took his spot has done a nice job.
That is great for you guys. I do know,not to make excuses for Steubenville, but I know you lost key players for playoffs, in recent years here.. This makes this game more interesting and intriguing. I'm seeing a closer game than what some might think. Good luck Saturday night!

It's interesting that you say this, having (as you say) seen both teams-- are you saying that Steubenville's athletes (taken in aggregate) are better than Wyoming's (in aggregate)-- or, are you saying that Steubenville has better athletes at every position?...

I'd find the latter to be a bit hard to believe-- as Wyoming has some top-drawer athletes (for Division IV) at several positions... whereas it is more easily believable that Steubenville (a MUCH larger city than Wyoming-- Wyoming is less than 3 square miles and has less than 9000 residents, while Steubenville is more than 10 square miles and has more than 18,000 residents) might have aggregate athleticism that surpasses Wyoming, with Steubenville having a much larger population base from which to draw...
Pretty sure he is speaking aggregate. We all know the Wyoming rb is a stud but I don’t know if he will be able to just run away from our lb’s and DB’s. Our defense has also done a fantastic job shutting down the run this year. On offense, Big Red uses 4-5 different running backs which is tough to defend. QB can also sling it to multiple receivers. Looking forward to a great game!

How does anybody know that this will be the best team big red has played this year. The steubenville fans that keep saying this, how do you know?

How does anybody know that this will be the best team big red has played this year. The steubenville fans that keep saying this, how do you know?
I always wonder the same thing because Rock Creek and Linsly have already proven to be pretty tough!

One Correction RollRed. ( We Are) is exclusive to The Thundering Herd. ie: WE ARE.........MARSHALL !!!
Your just The Big Red.
Good Luck @ The Crew
You Being a rabid Marshall fan I’d like to recommend a very nice book written by a Big Red grad. Lester Hicks a great DE at SHS was part of the first couple recruiting classes for Marshall after the crash. It delves into how the culture took on a new life after the crash and Lester talks about his growing up in Steubenville and also some personal things going on in his life. It was a fun read for me for the obvious reasons. But any Marshall fan would love it it’s called AGAINST ALL ODDS…..4TH DOWN AND FOREVER by Lester Hicks.

Well, let me rephrase it…. It will be the best defensive team we’ve seen all year and it looks like they can put a lot of points on the board. I think if we watch how Taft defended them twice,there is a ready made defensive game plan available.
Does Steubenville have most of their key players healthy for this game?
I think so.

We rarely have better athletes or “out talent” teams this deep in the playoffs. To answer the talent level question, IMO, we have 1 power 5 conference athlete and maybe 2-3 which are a soph and Jr. We are small in the trenches and are not an overly fast team. What we do have are kids that will die trying to add to the Big Red tradition and a group who wins by out working their opponents. Add to that a head coach who is as good a coach as anyone that’s ever coached in Ohio and a staff that works 18-20 hour days preparing for the next team up. Our talent level is defined by the how few D1 kids being recruited from SHS. It’s tough to get many from a town of 18,000. We do a great job of getting to the ball and gang tackling. All that said, it’s never a good idea, based on having tons of talent, to underestimate The Mighty Big Red.

That is great for you guys. I do know,not to make excuses for Steubenville, but I know you lost key players for playoffs, in recent years here.. This makes this game more interesting and intriguing. I'm seeing a closer game than what some might think. Good luck Saturday night!
Last two years the season ending injuries were insane. I think SHS has done well from an injury standpoint this year. One of the best things Reno does is build depth with backups getting a lot of snaps at all points of a game. Not just when the games are put away. We’re were able to replace our best O lineman without missing to much.

Calpreps and Drew Pasteur have Big Red as the favorite.

You Being a rabid Marshall fan I’d like to recommend a very nice book written by a Big Red grad. Lester Hicks a great DE at SHS was part of the first couple recruiting classes for Marshall after the crash. It delves into how the culture took on a new life after the crash and Lester talks about his growing up in Steubenville and also some personal things going on in his life. It was a fun read for me for the obvious reasons. But any Marshall fan would love it it’s called AGAINST ALL ODDS…..4TH DOWN AND FOREVER by Lester Hicks.
I’ve met Mr. Hicks and have a Signed Copy of his book. He was Honored at Marshall during a Crash ceremony
7 or 8 years ago. What a story, he has achieved a lot in his life. He is a very nice Man extremely humble and
and very Genuine. It was a privilege to meet him.

Last edited:
Unapologetic Cincy homer that hopes Wyoming wins state. Having said that, their schedule was complete garbage. Not their fault. Don't read too much in to all of those shut outs.

Unapologetic Cincy homer that hopes Wyoming wins state. Having said that, their schedule was complete garbage. Not their fault. Don't read too much in to all of those shut outs.
Hmmmmm. You could be right. But of course they couldn't schedule who they played in the playoffs, and they have only given up 7 points in the playoffs so far. That includes the defending state champion Clinton Massie, and Taft who was the number 9 team in the state in D-4. That probably counts for something. (Although Stubenville is the favorite)

4x,
Definitely not knocking wyomings athletes and definitely not saying the Steuby has better athletes all over the field at every position. Just saying saying Steuby has better athletes overall and Wyoming has better discipline. Both teams are very well coached and preparation won’t be an issue. Looking forward to a great game. Rooting for SW ohio so go cowboys!!

Thoughts? I think it will be a tall order for The Big Red to get past Wyoming. Defense must be spectacular having given up only 5 touchdowns in 14 games. They also put a ton of points on the board. SHS will show up and be prepared. I do think both teams will be playing the best team
They’ve played all year.
Wyoming Won 7-0 over Taft. Taft has solid coaching and some quality Players. Wyoming Wins this Game but I think it will be a close one.