• Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last state title for Springfield was a track and field title in 1958.

he tried to play this game earlier in the season. I think every school that has been in the gwoc in all of its versions has won a state title except Springfield. Fairborn and Greenville even won titles when they were on the gwoc.

They do in the GOL and the WOL. They can't help the GWOC didn't exist back then. They have 3 state basketball titles. 2 or 3 state track titles. And 1 or 2 state football titles thru polls. OHSAA records will confirm.
You said GWOC. I was just correcting your incorrect reply.

Hoping to bring this thread back on topic, I’d like to talk about the Eagles’ Casey Bullock. His performance in this game might have not have been noticed by some fans because of Brandon White’s accomplishments. Although Casey completed just 4 of 8 passes for 31 yards, his leadership, fired-up demeanor and outstanding running were exemplary. I’ve never seen him so determined. Still operating on a gimpy knee, he ran six times for 67 yards (excluding a 4-yard sack) and a touchdown. At the end of three of those carries (including the TD), Casey lowered his shoulder, flattened a Springfield defender and pushed forward for a couple of extra yards. He obviously came to play big boy football in his last high school game.

Part of the loss was also the short week after the long Cincinnati trip. That is always a factor. And anyone that understands those trips knows that affects teams. Whether it be the Cincy teams coming to Cleveland or the Cleveland teams going to Cincy. Then a short week to boot at Massillon, which is a tough place to play under normal circumstances. But I will say: 1. Massillon is a great team. 2. Massillon is a state champion and earned and deserved it. 3. But I would still rank Ed's as the number 1 team in Ohio. But it is just an opinion.
Appreciate those kind remarks about St Edward, but I would say we (St Edward) don't want to offer excuses or rationalizations for our losses. We play a national schedule. Five games this year with out of state opponents and an annual trip to Cincinnati. It's not easy. Massillon won fair and square. No one should diminish Massillon's accomplishment. Given what the Eds team endured, Eds fans are very happy where we ended up. As you note, Massillon is a great team and are state champs. They deserve their accolades. And we'll take our D1 trophy with a great sense of happiness and humility.
Screenshot 2023-12-03 220215.png

Last edited:
ORB, happy to see you're back. I'm serious too. People can say anything they want on here but they can't say you aren't a loyal Springfield fan.

Friday night was a great game. Tell your AD to play us next year week 1 instead of Ignatius. I'll be down there.

Hoping to bring this thread back on topic, I’d like to talk about the Eagles’ Casey Bullock. His performance in this game might have not have been noticed by some fans because of Brandon White’s accomplishments. Although Casey completed just 4 of 8 passes for 31 yards, his leadership, fired-up demeanor and outstanding running were exemplary. I’ve never seen him so determined. Still operating on a gimpy knee, he ran six times for 67 yards (excluding a 4-yard sack) and a touchdown. At the end of three of those carries (including the TD), Casey lowered his shoulder, flattened a Springfield defender and pushed forward for a couple of extra yards. He obviously came to play big boy football in his last high school game.
Yep, kept the D end honest when he started to crash down to tackle White, a couple of fakes by Bullock and gains around the end made the D end stay in position for containment.

ORB, happy to see you're back. I'm serious too. People can say anything they want on here but they can't say you aren't a loyal Springfield fan.

Friday night was a great game. Tell your AD to play us next year week 1 instead of Ignatius. I'll be down there.
Well thank you. I'd rather see a Part 4 in Canton with you guys. I truly believe SHS will win the D1 state title and when they do it will be over St Eds. And it will be a very fitting end to this state championship game rivalry that's developed. But since you suggested it, is St Eds open in week 1 next year?

Springfield is a great program. Douglas is doing a great job down there. But the on-and-on about unfair advantages is tiresome. Yes. Not having attendance boundaries is an advantage in that it gives you a larger pool to draw from. But so is being in a high-income, low-poverty zip code. So is living in a two-parent household. So is having a low percentage of students with free or reduced-price lunches. There are plenty of urban schools without boundaries that are uncompetitive in sports. There are plenty of closed-enrollment schools that dominate in sports. It's not as simple as saying that private schools have an unfair advantage

Springfield is a great program. Douglas is doing a great job down there. But the on-and-on about unfair advantages is tiresome. Yes. Not having attendance boundaries is an advantage in that it gives you a larger pool to draw from. But so is being in a high-income, low-poverty zip code. So is living in a two-parent household. So is having a low percentage of students with free or reduced-price lunches. There are plenty of urban schools without boundaries that are uncompetitive in sports. There are plenty of closed-enrollment schools that dominate in sports. It's not as simple as saying that private schools have an unfair advantage
It's the recruiting. You do know in some states, they have separate public and private playoffs because of this. So, it is a real competitive balance issue all over

It's the recruiting. You do know in some states, they have separate public and private playoffs because of this. So, it is a real competitive balance issue all over
Separate playoffs will turn Ohio high school sports into New Jersey, New York and Maryland. No thanks. The private schools there openly recruit. All the best players go private. And it does NOTHING to help urban schools and their sports programs

Separate playoffs will turn Ohio high school sports into New Jersey, New York and Maryland. No thanks. The private schools there openly recruit. All the best players go private. And it does NOTHING to help urban schools and their sports programs
They openly recruit here too. I'm not saying Ohio should separate the playoffs. I'm just saying there is an issue. It's been recognized in lots of places.

Douglass says they'll be back in this game to win it, and I believe him. SHS has become a dynasty as a small town public school in D1 that Ohio has never seen before. The slight difference in this game was the competitive imbalance St Eds has enjoyed for years. And I've posted about that before and after this game, as others have done. Given how it never was a level and even playing field, SHS played St Eds and Bullock the toughest of any team on St Ed's schedule this year. SHS made alot of history as a 5-5 #12 seed this year that no one else has ever done. So why don't you give up your recruiting and competitive advantage and see how well your team does??
I literally think you have a mental disorder and you are a little bit not there if you understand what I mean. How in the hell did Springfield play St Ed's better than anybody this year when Massillon actually beat Ed's ???? Hoban held Ed's to 14 points out of both D2 team combined we gave up 27 points y'all let up 31 but yet y'all played them the toughest???!?!! You are truthfully sick I truly think you are a psychopath

The two schools aren’t playing next season.

I literally think you have a mental disorder and you are a little bit not there if you understand what I mean. How in the hell did Springfield play St Ed's better than anybody this year when Massillon actually beat Ed's ???? Hoban held Ed's to 14 points out of both D2 team combined we gave up 27 points y'all let up 31 but yet y'all played them the toughest???!?!! You are truthfully sick I truly think you are a psychopath
Not just better, they played St Eds and Bullock much better than anybody else did this year. Your slop about Massillon doesn't count because Bullock was out. So you got a freebie. Big deal. Btw, this is a D1 thread.

Your backup qb is no Bullock. You would have won with Bullock. He runs very well.
It's all hypothetical. Just like cavs fans. We would have beat Golden State if Love and Kyre Irving would have played. Maybe,maybe not. There is no way of knowing that with 100% accuracy. I was at that Eds, Massillon game. Massillon outplayed them and deserved to win. I can look at it objectively being a Hoban grad and fan.

That’s my name on that logo zoom in. I took ownership after fairmont beat them again this year. Also look at my posts more of making fun of a fan than bashing Springfield. I give them props when they deserve them. Even complimented Douglass on changing it up this year halfway through the season. If a team can afford me I’ll put my name on a contract.
Joker

It's all hypothetical. Just like cavs fans. We would have beat Golden State if Love and Kyre Irving would have played. Maybe,maybe not. There is no way of knowing that with 100% accuracy. I was at that Eds, Massillon game. Massillon outplayed them and deserved to win. I can look at it objectively being a Hoban grad and fan.
I think Eds with Bullock is best and unbeatable. Top dogs in Ohio across divisions. I'm not alone in that opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.