Covid shutdowns another game

Status
Not open for further replies.

This Covid "thing" is no joke. Father just passed away from it. I'm all in on getting the vaccine, although I respect your choice if not. But I dont mind any precautions being taken. That said, there really isnt a solid protocol that says if a kid tests positive, what that means for the rest of the players/coaches

This Covid "thing" is no joke. Father just passed away from it. I'm all in on getting the vaccine, although I respect your choice if not. But I dont mind any precautions being taken. That said, there really isnt a solid protocol that says if a kid tests positive, what that means for the rest of the players/coaches

I expect the state to move to a “test and release” sooner than later.

So every fall when kids get colds or flu, we are going to cancel things? Tired of hearing about the Covid BS.
There'a very simple and entirely free way to help make that a reality.

Thousands of kids, teachers and staff in the southern US are either covid positive or in quarantine, after just one week of school. Three teachers in Broward County died in a 24 hr period, with pediatric ICU's busier than they've ever seen. I don't know what those folks thought was going to happen after just swinging the doors open with little to no mitigation, but if we don't think it can happen here in the coming weeks, we aren't paying attention. It's avoidable with a little common sense, folks need to put aside their nutbaggery so schools can stay open and the games can go on.

Last edited:
The three 3 teachers that died was a another Covid panic story by the mainstream media. They failed to leave out the fact that Broward County Schools were not in session yet when the deaths occurred. So it had absolutely nothing to do with the kids being back in school. Covid is serious business, but making an entire group of position players isolate when they are not sick because they may have had close contact with someone that tested positive is complete overkill in my opinion.

The three 3 teachers that died was a another Covid panic story by the mainstream media. They failed to leave out the fact that Broward County Schools were not in session yet when the deaths occurred. So it had absolutely nothing to do with the kids being back in school. Covid is serious business, but making an entire group of position players isolate when they are not sick because they may have had close contact with someone that tested positive is complete overkill in my opinion.
"They failed to leave out the fact"? It appears not, as it only became evident here, when you mentioned it.

It’s also just a big threshold of COVID-related issues a school may find their football team in, and every game in Ohio fundamentally is at the mercy of whatever a participant school that’s having an issue chooses to do. Yes, many of them won’t do anything (fine, whatever) but among those that would it’s unclear what specific problem is enough for the school to say “game off.”

"They failed to leave out the fact"? It appears not, as it only became evident here, when you mentioned it.
You’re right. I should have said they conveniently left out the fact that schools were not yet in session. It was a clickbait headline meant to push more panic and hysteria. Only afterwards did some media outlets do some research and discovered the truth.

Thousands of kids, teachers and staff in the southern US are either covid positive or in quarantine, after just one week of school. Three teachers in Broward County died in a 24 hr period, with pediatric ICU's busier than they've ever seen. I don't know what those folks thought was going to happen after just swinging the doors open with little to no mitigation, but if we don't think it can happen here in the coming weeks, we aren't paying attention. It's avoidable with a little common sense, folks need to put aside their nutbaggery so schools can stay open and the games can go on.
Important to note that school hadn't started yet when those teachers died. They didn't get sick at school.

Common sense...like realizing masks dont work and kids are the most safe population from Covid?

A large number of decisions about covid and schools are made by the local board of health . After a positive test on a sports team or with contact of a sports team the board of health is contacted and a plan is put in place .

If you're old or at high risk, protect yourself. Cancelling games because it could "potentially" spread to kids is stupid. Data has shown for the last 18 months that kids do not transmit covid at nearly as high of a rate as adults, and it rarely, if ever, affects kids.

Of the 2,685 Ohio deaths for people younger than 25 (not trying to diminish that number at all here) only 15 "involved" covid. The CDC won't tell you the number of those deaths caused by the flu due to "confidentiality standards."

https://data.cdc.gov/widgets/9bhg-hcku?mobile_redirect=true

While kids aren't dying from covid, they are unfortunately dying from suicide. Suicide is now the leading cause of death in people age 10-24, and every bit of covid fear-mongering, lockdowns, loss of socialization, and making young kids think that they are a health risk just by walking without a mask just adds to that. Are we really worried about public health?

This thread needs to be deleted, just like facebook accounts being suspended.
This thread headline should say,
stupid people shut down another kid function

Bunch of grown adults (who are probably all high risk for COVID-related mortality) on the internet arguing that COVID isn't real.

Classic Yappi.
Literally no one is arguing that covid isn't real.

Everyone that wants to can now get a vaccine, almost every person with any type of office job can work from home, and you can always social distance and mask up if you want to.

There is no scientific basis to putting covid restrictions on kids, and every restriction put on them is more harmful to their mental health than anything the disease will do to them.

Of the 2,685 Ohio deaths for people younger than 25 (not trying to diminish that number at all here) only 15 "involved" covid. The CDC won't tell you the number of those deaths caused by the flu due to "confidentiality standards."

https://data.cdc.gov/widgets/9bhg-hcku?mobile_redirect=true

While kids aren't dying from covid, they are unfortunately dying from suicide. Suicide is now the leading cause of death in people age 10-24, and every bit of covid fear-mongering, lockdowns, loss of socialization, and making young kids think that they are a health risk just by walking without a mask just adds to that. Are we really worried about public health?

I don't know how you concluded that "suicide is now the leading cause of death in people age 10-14", as I could not find that claim made anywhere in that document that you linked (above); what I did notice is that:
1) The data cited in the article are for a period that ended in 2018-- so those suicide rates had precisely NOTHING to do with Covid-19.
2) The highest suicide rates in the country appear to have a HIGH correlation with states that have large native American populations; Indian populations have LONG had notoriously high suicide rates (due to a variety of factors having NOTHING to do with Covid-19)-- so again, these suicide rates appear to be entirely unrelated to Covid-19 (and any public health measures taken to ameliorate that epidemic).
3) Ironically, the highest suicide rates (shown in that document that you linked) tended to be HIGHLY correlated with the most libertarian/Republican states in the country (and those states whose governments have tended to be the most resistant to imposing mask mandates and getting vaccinated).

So, really, the document that you linked does not prove what you are trying to claim at all.

Literally no one is arguing that covid isn't real.

Everyone that wants to can now get a vaccine, almost every person with any type of office job can work from home, and you can always social distance and mask up if you want to.

There is no scientific basis to putting covid restrictions on kids, and every restriction put on them is more harmful to their mental health than anything the disease will do to them.
Actually, there is no scientific basis for the last claim that you have made above. The delta variant of Covid-19 is dramatically more communicable, and notably more lethal, to kids than the earlier variants of Covid-19; and the document that you referenced (in an earlier post) to suggest that kids' mental health is being impaired by things like mask mandates and social distancing does NOT provide any evidence to support your claim.

I don't know how you concluded that "suicide is now the leading cause of death in people age 10-14", as I could not find that claim made anywhere in that document that you linked (above); what I did notice is that:
1) The data cited in the article are for a period that ended in 2018-- so those suicide rates had precisely NOTHING to do with Covid-19.
2) The highest suicide rates in the country appear to have a HIGH correlation with states that have large native American populations; Indian populations have LONG had notoriously high suicide rates (due to a variety of factors having NOTHING to do with Covid-19)-- so again, these suicide rates appear to be entirely unrelated to Covid-19 (and any public health measures taken to ameliorate that epidemic).
3) Ironically, the highest suicide rates (shown in that document that you linked) tended to be HIGHLY correlated with the most libertarian/Republican states in the country (and those states whose governments have tended to be the most resistant to imposing mask mandates and getting vaccinated).

So, really, the document that you linked does not prove what you are trying to claim at all.
Suicide has been the leading cause of death in young people since 2018, and it continues to climb every year. You think school lockdowns and shutdowns of every social outlet that kids have is helping that number? Get your head out of the sand.

Suicide has been the leading cause of death in young people since 2018, and it continues to climb every year. You think school lockdowns and shutdowns of every social outlet that kids have is helping that number? Get your head out of the sand.
YOU claim that suicide has been the leading cause of death in young people since 2018-- I was unable to verify that claim, in the document that you linked-- please cite the passage in that document where that claim is made.

Meanwhile, even if your claim were correct, you have NO data to show that Covid-19 public health measures have, in any way, driven up the ALREADY EXISTING suicide rate that prevailed in 2018-- you just ipse dixit assert such-- please provide current data to support your claim-- such data would, of necessity, reflect the years 2020 and 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.