Countdown to the Elder game

McElroy led the way with 23 pts and 7 boards. Crawford added 13 pts. Despite only scoring 2 pts Kummer pulled down 10 boards. Impressive win

ELD 15 9 8 13- 45
LAS 16 20 12 10 - 58

The streak is over, Alleluia.
The 0-8 shame has been purged, Hallelujah.
It's a great night to be a Lancer fan, Alleluia.

:clap: :clap:
And vengence is ours, sayith Mr. Red & White

I'm not going that far. Always a very nice thing to beat Elder, and certainly something the kids will remember. But each season exists in it's own vacuum.

So how far into the game did the Elder SS start cheering "30-0"?

I Noticed in the Enquirer that there was a bloody nose in the Moeller-X game :clap: :clap: :clap: Just another Fri Nite in the GCL!!! Reminds me of the time I was a Freshman and Dave LaFary DECKED a guy from X in the reserve game. I mean he just ransacked this guys face. Guy is writhing on the floor with blood going everywhere, and his dad comes out and doesn't even go over to his son.... he goes straight for Dave. Dave was like 6'4" then and would go on to play like 8 years on the OL in the NFL. Dave would have killed the guy.

Our Lancers won every quarter except the last.
1st - L 16-15
2nd - L 20-9
3rd - L 12-8
4th - E 13-10

This game has to be considered a relapse for Elder. I'll admit I was scared when I saw how they manhandled an Oak Hills team that was finally at full strength. After their debacle against Purcell-Marian, they really played a good game against the Oakies. I didn't really expect we would be able to dominate them like this.

Here are some of our stats that stand out.

McElroy 9-16 FG, 5-8 FT for 23 points.
Austin Kumer a big 10 defensive rebounds.
Ryan Fleming 8 points off the bench including 40% 3pt.fg. (2-5)
Jordan Crawford and Matt Woeste both with 3 steals.

Top 5 Excuses

Great win Lancers! I can't wait to hear the excuses from Elder.

5. Joe is too nice a guy to threaten to kick the timekeepers arse
4. Most of Elder's players were waiting at North Bend McD's
3. Our guys aren't in basketball shape yet because of playing football into the state finals (oh never mind, you wouldn't understand)
2. Our younger guys were scared by Flemmings foot stomping

and the #1 Excuse....

1. No Sagers reffing!

3. Our guys aren't in basketball shape yet because of playing football into the state finals (oh never mind, you wouldn't understand)

and the #1 Excuse....

1. No Sagers reffing!

Congrats again on a fantastic win! LaSalle is the better team.

I have not heard any Elder fans making excuses for the loss.

Elder's big win over Oak Hills on Tuesday showed a remarkable improvement from their loss to Purcell Marian the previous week.

vs. Purcell Elder shot 30.6% FG amd 39/1% FT
vs. Oak Hills Elder shot 53.1% FG and 80% FT

Against La Salle, Elder suffered a relapse in their field goak shooting dropping from 53.1% against Oak Hills to 38.1% against La Salle. Free throw shooting dropped from 80% against Oak Hills to 62.5% against La Salle. It's hard for any team to win shooting those kind of numbers. Elder has to take a look at their scheduling. Two big rivalry games against west side neighbors in the same week was a bit much for the Panthers.

Elder's big win over Oak Hills on Tuesday showed a remarkable improvement from their loss to Purcell Marian the previous week.

vs. Purcell Elder shot 30.6% FG amd 39/1% FT
vs. Oak Hills Elder shot 53.1% FG and 80% FT

Against La Salle, Elder suffered a relapse in their field goak shooting dropping from 53.1% against Oak Hills to 38.1% against La Salle. Free throw shooting dropped from 80% against Oak Hills to 62.5% against La Salle. It's hard for any team to win shooting those kind of numbers. Elder has to take a look at their scheduling. Two big rivalry games against west side neighbors in the same week was a bit much for the Panthers.

Very good points. I think Coach Schoenfeld had the boys ready. Sometimes the shots fall, sometimes they dont. Give credit to LaSalles defense.

Let's take a closer look at the numbers for both teams.

Elder actually had more free throw points than La Salle on poorer shooting
Panthers made 10 of 16 FT for 62.6% while La Salle made 8 of 11 for 72.7%
Elder outscored La Salle 10-8 on free throws.

Three point field goals are 3 0f 11 for Elder 27.3% while La Salle shot 4 of 14 for 28.6%. La Salle outscored Elder 12-9 on threes.

The difference comes in field goal attempts. Elder made 16 of 42 for 38.1% while La Salle made 23 of 56 for 41.1%, not that big of a difference in FG shooting %. The real difference is in the number of attempts. How did La Salle shoot 56 times to Elder's 42? Defensive rebounds are about the same, 20 for Elder to 19 for La Salle. One huge key is in the offensive rebounds. La Salle had 15 to Elder's 8. Another key is in the number of steals. La Salle had 8 steals to Elder's 4.

In summary, in free throws and threes La Salle only outscored Elder by one point. The key is that they had 14 more attempts at the basket than Elder did because of a superiority in offensive rebounds giving the Lancers twice as many second chances as Elder.

In an earlier post on this thread, I showed how the two teams were relatively equal in height.
Elder has seven guys 6'2" or over while La Salle has six 6'2" or over.

6'2" - Elder 2, La Salle 1
6'3" - Elder 2, La Salle 2
6'4" - Elder 1, La Salle 2
6'5" - Elder 2, La Salle 0
6'7" - Elder 0, La Salle 1

If you look at the offensive rebounding numbers for La Salle, most came from guys not even listed in the comparison chart above.

Jordan Crawford at 5'6" had 3
Matt Woeste at 6'1" had the most on the team at 5
Keenan Gibbs at 6'1" had two.

For those of us who played the game, we know that rebounding is all about positioning being in the right place at the right time. In this regard, La Salle won the rebounding battle not becuase of superior height but because of smarter play and superior hustling. Great job, Lancers! As a coach, you tell your kids to move toward the basket when one of your teammates shoots to be in position for the rebound. It appears to me that Elder was outcoached by La Salle in this game. Congratulations to Coach Fleming and his staff for good game preparation and a job well done.

Last edited:

and the #1 Excuse....

1. No Sagers reffing!

or Weidner.

The ole North Bend McDonalds. LS1944 that was a night apparently that has not been equalled in brawl history. I was in 8th grade and missed it. Allegedly a Colerain fan wearing his red coat was mauled by many of the Elder punks who mistook him for a LaSalle enemy.

Did anyone at Elder ever claim responsibility for painting the white statue of St. John the Baptist de La Salle purple one year?

Was it after the fight at McDonald that we started doing student exchanges with Elder?

Did anyone at Elder ever claim responsibility for painting the white statue of St. John the Baptist de La Salle purple one year?

Was it after the fight at McDonald that we started doing student exchanges with Elder?

No it was after the 80 fight in Dayton that they started doing it. Played BOTH basketball games at CTC for a few years as well.

If I'm not mistaken..... somewhere in amongst all of that a few lancers threw red paint on the floor of the pit as well. Not very nice. I might hate the school, but a basketball floor anywhere is holy ground in my view..... even that one.

Great win for the Lancers. Show some class in victory, fellas. I guarantee you Coach Schoenfeld's squad will be a team no one will want to play in the second half of the season.

Great win for the Lancers. Show some class in victory, fellas. I guarantee you Coach Schoenfeld's squad will be a team no one will want to play in the second half of the season.

For sure. I can just see the Enquirer article now telling us how when the football players got in BB shape, the Panthers ran off 8 straight or something like that.

It appears to me that Elder was outcoached by La Salle in this game. Congratulations to Coach Fleming and his staff for good game preparation and a job well done.

You are right about some of your numbers above. LaSalle's full court defensive pressure (steals) was a difference in the game.

However, Elder was not outcoached. Shoenfeld had beaten Fleming 8 straight times. Do you think all of the sudden Shoenfeld forgot the best way to coach?

I was at the game and the difference in the game is talent. It is easier to coach when you have two 3-year starters that will be playing college basketball next season. Elder has football players playing basketball. LaSalle has basketball players playing basketball.

Guys

Wake up everyone LS was 15 point favs to win that game. Elder has no players, they are way down and blah blah lots of stuff.

LS has the 2 best players in the GCL and 2 of the top 5 in the city. Both 3 yr starters or players and both are having solid yrs.

The best part about LS is they have only 7 players so Fleming cant sub like a maniac like in the past. he tried against Bacon and almost cost him the game.

When he only has limited players he is forced to play his best players most of the game and not have them drinking water watching while the 10,11,12 men are on the floor.

Look at the state title team, same way, limited players 7 tops and they win

Orr's team had about 9 but the big difference was he never took Orr out of the game and the other 8 guys were about the same which is rare.

The last 4 yrs he subs like a maniac and the 8,9,10 players stink and he loses.

Not too mention they have played no one yet. Elder stinks, OH played without 4 players, Bacon win on buzzer shot, D2 team is not exactly a great win.

Beat Moeller, Princeton, Aiken, Centerville, or even win on the road against X, Elder, Moe, or Alter and then start thinking GCL title.

Remember fleming has ZERO outright titles and 1 tie. In 18 yrs. LS has a long way to go to win GCL.

Wake up everyone LS was 15 point favs to win that game. Elder has no players, they are way down and blah blah lots of stuff.

LS has the 2 best players in the GCL and 2 of the top 5 in the city. Both 3 yr starters or players and both are having solid yrs.

The best part about LS is they have only 7 players so Fleming cant sub like a maniac like in the past. he tried against Bacon and almost cost him the game.

When he only has limited players he is forced to play his best players most of the game and not have them drinking water watching while the 10,11,12 men are on the floor.

Look at the state title team, same way, limited players 7 tops and they win

Orr's team had about 9 but the big difference was he never took Orr out of the game and the other 8 guys were about the same which is rare.

The last 4 yrs he subs like a maniac and the 8,9,10 players stink and he loses.

Not too mention they have played no one yet. Elder stinks, OH played without 4 players, Bacon win on buzzer shot, D2 team is not exactly a great win.

Beat Moeller, Princeton, Aiken, Centerville, or even win on the road against X, Elder, Moe, or Alter and then start thinking GCL title.

Remember fleming has ZERO outright titles and 1 tie. In 18 yrs. LS has a long way to go to win GCL.

So in other words, it's Fleming's fault when we lose, and the players get the credit when we win? What is your beef woth Coach Fleming anyway? It seems that every post of yours is a cheap shot at him. You have already thrown out the caveat, that LaSalle is so talented that even Fleming can't screw this season up. You sound like a politician with your double talk.

I was at La Salle tonight and there are eleven players listed on the varsity roster and all eleven played. I don't see what you're talking about. Fleming subbed four and five players at a time like he usually does and substituted freely througthout the game.