College Football 2022-2023

I think we have a pretty good gage of college football overall, except for Michigan and Ohio State. Sure, Michigan dominated the Buckeyes yesterday, who were #2, but do we really know that? Ohio State's best win this year? They won at Penn State in a game they were behind with 9 minutes to go, and they beat Notre Dame in week 1 who lost to Stanford and Marshall.
I say this most years and yet we keep this up. The Big Ten gets WAY too much credit. CJ Stroud and the Buckeye offense pile up big numbers against mostly bad non conference games and even most of the big ten. Then we are shocked that they lay and egg yesterday at home???
We may see when all this is said and done that Ohio State and Michigan are teams likely in the bottom half of the top 10. Watching Ohio State yesterday, how do you think they'd do in the SEC with Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, basically any team that can throw the ball?
Yesterday showed me the tide has turned in the big ten. Michigan used to chase Ohio State. Michigan, after a slow start, bludgeoned Ohio State on their home field.

Watching Ohio State yesterday, how do you think they'd do in the SEC with Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, basically any team that can throw the ball?
Of the teams on that list, Georgia is the only one I'd expect Ohio State to lose to. And the way Georgia has been playing with it's food, so to speak, I'm not so sure they handle the Buckeyes either.

Ohio State would play with and beat Alabama, LSU and Tennessee. Did you see Tennessee give up 6 passing TDs to Spencer Rattler and South Carolina last week? LSU just gave up 38 to a BAD Texas A&M offense. Alabama has given up plenty of points all year, Saturday was no different against a bad Auburn team.

Ohio State sold out to stop the run against Michigan knowing that was what beat them last year. Michigan's offensive line may be the best in the country and they were able to protect the QB, which allowed for some deep shots on double moves. Ohio State was basically in 1 or 0 coverage almost all day long, all it takes I one guy to get beat and it's a TD.

Tennessee is one higher ranked team that I thought actually had worse DBs in coverage than Ohio State this year. Like, decidedly worse. Their secondary is horrendously bad. They gave up the 5th most passing yards per game in FBS. If both of those teams met on a neutral field with good health a gajillion points would be scored.

If an Ohio State reject DB (tells you just how good he is if he couldn't get on the field in the Buckeyes secondary) makes a should have been tackle on Bryce Young, Bama would be a three loss team. There isn't anything exceptional about them this year. Certainly still a good team in the landscape of college football, but nowhere near as good as the usual Nick Saban Bama standard.

I don't think Georgia is as good as last year, nor that there is a dominant team this year. UGA has not been as consistent. I'd take the last four CFP champions over everyone in the field this year. To me, although I'd favor UGA to repeat, the title is there for the taking for somebody that gets hot and peaks going into the playoff.

The above is why I'd consider Saturday to be a John Cooper-esque meltdown for Ryan Day. Enormous blown opportunity this year between both having top 2-3 individual talent on the roster and the landscape elsewhere. Good development and coaching of the group he had should have netted a credible contender and potential CFP champion. And he pissed down his leg with not having a real defensive philosophy on top of making poor uptight in-game decisions when facing real pressure/resistance.

Of the teams on that list, Georgia is the only one I'd expect Ohio State to lose to. And the way Georgia has been playing with it's food, so to speak, I'm not so sure they handle the Buckeyes either.

Ohio State would play with and beat Alabama, LSU and Tennessee. Did you see Tennessee give up 6 passing TDs to Spencer Rattler and South Carolina last week? LSU just gave up 38 to a BAD Texas A&M offense. Alabama has given up plenty of points all year, Saturday was no different against a bad Auburn team.

Ohio State sold out to stop the run against Michigan knowing that was what beat them last year. Michigan's offensive line may be the best in the country and they were able to protect the QB, which allowed for some deep shots on double moves. Ohio State was basically in 1 or 0 coverage almost all day long, all it takes I one guy to get beat and it's a TD.
Adam Sandler GIF by IFC

The above is why I'd consider Saturday to be a John Cooper-esque meltdown for Ryan Day. Enormous blown opportunity this year between both having top 2-3 individual talent on the roster and the landscape elsewhere. Good development and coaching of the group he had should have netted a credible contender and potential CFP champion. And he pissed down his leg with not having a real defensive philosophy on top of making poor uptight in-game decisions when facing real pressure/resistance.
Good for you, but I think you're WAY overrating Ohio State, the big ten and even Michigan. Do you watch those SEC offenses? They can actually run AND pass the ball. 99% of big ten teams other than Ohio State are heavy run, little pass. McCarthy had a good game Saturday, but what other QB in the big ten scares you? Clifford has some passing records at Penn State but that's only because he's played for 8 years and 75 games there. The poor talent level of the big ten clouds Buckeye fans minds so much. They think because CJ Stroud throws for 400 yards against Rutgers he's a Heisman candidate. I just don't get it. And we see this senario every year.

Good for you, but I think you're WAY overrating Ohio State, the big ten and even Michigan. Do you watch those SEC offenses? They can actually run AND pass the ball. 99% of big ten teams other than Ohio State are heavy run, little pass. McCarthy had a good game Saturday, but what other QB in the big ten scares you? Clifford has some passing records at Penn State but that's only because he's played for 8 years and 75 games there. The poor talent level of the big ten clouds Buckeye fans minds so much. They think because CJ Stroud throws for 400 yards against Rutgers he's a Heisman candidate. I just don't get it. And we see this senario every year.
You happen to see the Davey O-Brien Award Finalists? No SEC QB's. Lol.

Of course you think that, because you're as biased as they come on here. Let's face it, you're an SEC-fanboy and a B1G hater. That's all we need to know about your position here.

Ohio State would have ZERO problems scoring on Alabama or LSU, and they might actually drop 100 on Tennessee. Their defense also isn't as bad as they showed on Saturday.

Of course you think that, because you're as biased as they come on here. Let's face it, you're an SEC-fanboy and a B1G hater. That's all we need to know about your position here.

Ohio State would have ZERO problems scoring on Alabama or LSU, and they might actually drop 100 on Tennessee. Their defense also isn't as bad as they showed on Saturday.
I really don't know how you can call me biased when most of America sees the SEC as the best conference and it's not even a debate. I don't think you'd score on Bama, LSU or Tennessee as much as you think. They would be able to match the Buckeyes speed. You see, all those teams down there have speed.

Were you not talking about this year? Seems as though you were. Lol.
So Bryce Young won it last year, why wouldn't he be on this year's list? And how many QB's are ahead of Hendon Hooker. Stetson Bennett could start at about every school in the country. Daniels of LSU would be the 2nd best QB int he big ten today. Do I need to continue?

I really don't know how you can call me biased when most of America sees the SEC as the best conference and it's not even a debate. I don't think you'd score on Bama, LSU or Tennessee as much as you think. They would be able to match the Buckeyes speed. You see, all those teams down there have speed.
How are you not biased? You're one of the most biased posters on here outside of AEW/ND and some Ohio State fans. No one is disputing the that SEC is the best conference, but that doesn't mean Ohio State would lose to the schools you mentioned. The SEC on the whole is way down compared to what they've been over the past 3-5 years.

Also you say "you" like I'm a Buckeye fan, I can assure you I'm not. I don't like Ohio State, but they're one of the best offenses in the country and until the Michigan they were regarded as a top 15-20 defense in the country. Now they lose to Michigan and suddenly they weren't any good? Come on. I call BS.

So Bryce Young won it last year, why wouldn't he be on this year's list? And how many QB's are ahead of Hendon Hooker. Stetson Bennett could start at about every school in the country. Daniels of LSU would be the 2nd best QB int he big ten today. Do I need to continue?
What? Of course he could, but he absolutely wouldn't. The fact you just said this and actually believe it proves your SEC bias even more.

BY - isn't having the same year he has last year without his WRs and neither is Alabama as a whole. Someone asked Saban the other day if they deserved to be in the Playoff - he correctly stated that they lost two games to top teams on the final play of the game and could be undefeated. They also had games against Texas where they won in the final minute, Texas A&M where they won on the final play (A&M incomplete pass into the endzone) and withstood a final stand against Ole Miss who had the ball at the 20 with a chance to win in the final minute. They easily could have 5 losses this year.

I disagree that Daniels would be the 2nd best QB in the B1G. Top 5 sure, but not top 2. He's very inconsistent, great against Alabama and Ole Miss, bad against Tennessee and A&M.

Hooker is one of the saddest stories of the season due to his injury and the team's loss to South Carolina. He would have been right there against Williams for the Heisman. And they would be sitting there at #4 or #5 waiting to see if anyone would lose this weekend before nabbing the 3rd or 4th Playoff spot.

How are you not biased? You're one of the most biased posters on here outside of AEW/ND and some Ohio State fans. No one is disputing the that SEC is the best conference, but that doesn't mean Ohio State would lose to the schools you mentioned. The SEC on the whole is way down compared to what they've been over the past 3-5 years.

Also you say "you" like I'm a Buckeye fan, I can assure you I'm not. I don't like Ohio State, but they're one of the best offenses in the country and until the Michigan they were regarded as a top 15-20 defense in the country. Now they lose to Michigan and suddenly they weren't any good? Come on. I call BS.
Based on what you've seen this year, how can you say Ohio State and Michigan are elite teams? Ohio State beat an offensive challenged Penn State and Notre Dame. Michigan beat Penn State badly. THAT is their only significant win.
Is the SEC really down, or is everyone else better? I contend that Tennesse is as good as they have been in years, LSU was up and down but they have NFL talent ont hat roster. Georgia is now the poster child of the SEC and Alabama is Alabama. I say the middle of the SEC has got better and you see teams like Ole Miss, Arkansas, Kentucky, South Carolina knock off one of the teams mentioned earlier. Now is Indiana ever beating Ohio State? Never. Tehre is literally no middle of the big ten. It's Ohio State, now Michigan and sometimes Penn State and not much after that.

You are extremely clouded by your personal SEC bias. On an individual talent basis, Georgia and maybe Alabama edge Ohio State. Ohio State and to a lesser degree Alabama did not do enough with what they had this year.

Edit: looked back at an @irish_buffalo post from late summer talking Phil Steele preseason publication. The three most talented teams (in order) by two deep depth were Alabama, Ohio State and (comically) Texas A&M. On an individual talent level, while very good UGA is not nearly at the same level as last year.

I don't think Michigan is all that talented, with their best pieces being in the trenches. By PS rankings they probably have done the best coaching job of any quality program at maximizing what they have and building systems that allow them to compete.

Ironically, CJ Stroud actually deserved to be a Heisman candidate this year. If you actually watched the games you'd know he didn't have guys routing DBs and running wide open non-stop like last year when he had three 1st round WRs to throw the ball to. Marvin Harrison Jr. is as good as anyone but for the most part doesn't get great separation; he just catches nearly everything put in his contested zip code. The rest of their WRs were nowhere near as good as the three they had last year and he made higher degree of difficulty throws with a lot more frequency than last year.

Interesting going back and glancing at the PS numbers a lot of the more talent-laden have had dud seasons below expectations.

This year probably is about as good of an opportunity as a slightly lesser individually talented team can get at actually winning it all, whether it's by getting carried by a great QB (USC and TCU) or by just having excellent discipline and execution within well thought/principled systems that maximize their talent (i.e. Michigan).

Well duh, you’re the guy who needed 11 weeks of college football to figure out how Penn State beat Auburn lol you’re arguably the most biased person here outside AEW.

Wut lol

Let’s not forget though we had the 4th string RB starting. That really hurt the offense

Well duh, you’re the guy who needed 11 weeks of college football to figure out how Penn State beat Auburn lol you’re arguably the most biased person here outside AEW.
My middle name is Objective.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

How are you not biased? You're one of the most biased posters on here outside of AEW/ND and some Ohio State fans.
I’ll have you know know I’m as fair as Switzerland in spite of all the anti-AEW provocations on this forum.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Based on what you've seen this year, how can you say Ohio State and Michigan are elite teams? Ohio State beat an offensive challenged Penn State and Notre Dame. Michigan beat Penn State badly. THAT is their only significant win.
How can you say they aren't? If you claim they aren't, then who would you classify as elite?

The truth of the matter is, there isn't really an elite team this year. I don't think anyone is running away with this thing, Georgia included.