Colerain

The growing sentiment around town is it may take too long to rebuild Colerain especially when WestChester has Bolden.
If it can be rebuilt. Colerain used to be the exception; however, now it is part of the West Side norm, where every single public high school on the West Side of Cincy struggles to be good at football. Seriously.... you have Oak Hills, West High, Taylor, Harrison, Northwest, Mt. Healthy, North College Hill, Gamble, & Aiken.

They had some good ones! RIP LCD!
IIRC, Main Event also passed away a few years ago. Seemed like he was in his late 20s/early 30s. He used to post a lot in the recreational golf thread on the general forum.

What was the other prominent poster, Honor & Glory?

Kali Jones is the only CPS Coach that would be considered (Other than Tyler Williams). He showed he could build a program.
He couldn't duplicate what he did at Withrow at Colerain since Northwest Local Schools is not Open Enrollment (unless something changed recently). Can't get all the transfer athletes there like he did at Withrow.

IIRC, Main Event also passed away a few years ago. Seemed like he was in his late 20s/early 30s. He used to post a lot in the recreational golf thread on the general forum.

What was the other prominent poster, Honor & Glory?

Yes, H&G. Forgot about Main Event.

He couldn't duplicate what he did at Withrow at Colerain since Northwest Local Schools is not Open Enrollment (unless something changed recently).
There were some on Yappi recently who said NWLSD would soon become open enrollment. Not sure if it's true or not.

But if you live in Indiana, you can't play sports for Ohio schools. So those signs are indeed all over in Indiana, but none of those kids are playing any sport for Elder, LaSalle, etc.
I'm sure this has already been pointed out, but there is an exception for these kids (I believe) because there is no Catholic high school option in that area.

I'm sure this has already been pointed out, but there is an exception for these kids (I believe) because there is no Catholic high school option in that area.
It has been and I was unaware. I was under the impression no out of state players, period.

I cant find anything on that in OHSAA website, so if anyone can find the link, I'd appreciate it.

There were some on Yappi recently who said NWLSD would soon become open enrollment. Not sure if it's true or not.
Doubtful,

At the redistricting meeting on Tuesday all middle and elementary schools are over crowded. The district is redrawing the district map that effects mainly primary grades but a couple secondary students 80 total.
They do not want the hassle of open enrolment to go along with trying to remap and ensure diversity between the schools, not divide current communities etc.

Doubtful,

At the redistricting meeting on Tuesday all middle and elementary schools are over crowded. The district is redrawing the district map that effects mainly primary grades but a couple secondary students 80 total.
They do not want the hassle of open enrolment to go along with trying to remap and ensure diversity between the schools, not divide current communities etc.

This. NWLSD can’t have Open Enrollment when most of the Schools are old and already overcrowded. Anyone already on Colerain Football Staff and already in the building apply?

This. NWLSD can’t have Open Enrollment when most of the Schools are old and already overcrowded. Anyone already on Colerain Football Staff and already in the building apply?

I would be surprised if someone from outside the district was selected for the position.

With all the issues at NW a coach may want to jump to Colerain as well. If the district ever got smart they would not have to open enroll to be competitive in athletics or, improve academics and student outcomes/opportunities.

It would not even require a new school (short term) to fix many of the issues the district has academically or, athletics with both schools not really competitive in their leagues overall in sports for some time now.
Add in the embarrassment of all the NW forfeits the past few years and a surprisingly Colerain soccer forfeit. Heck the League for Northwest SWOC is on the verge of folding so now is the time for a change especially with NW struggling to field Varsity or JV programs.

It would also be a start with bridging the community back together while working to fix the busing issues the district has.

Turning NW into a 8th grade/9th grade building and move the 450 NW 10,11,12 students to Colerain would help academics, ease the over crowding at the middle/elementary levels with back filling primary 5th to middle schools while keeping Colerain and NW building numbers lower than in the 80s/90s and early 2000s.
The use of Butler Tech and the new WBL opportunities from ODE schools can chose to provide can also relieve 300 or so students from Colerain.

Now the 500 Freshmen families at Colerain most likely would oppose the change more so than the 600 NW families but long term it is a better option especially if done to help fix the transportation issues not only to the schools but the traffic issues around all the schools and could actually work to unify a deeply divided school district while being fiscally responsible.

Last edited:
Colerain Coaching is continuing to help other programs around the area.

Colerain Coaching is continuing to help other programs around the area.
Williams a former Colerain Assistant too. Been at X awhile now though.

It has been and I was unaware. I was under the impression no out of state players, period.

I cant find anything on that in OHSAA website, so if anyone can find the link, I'd appreciate it.
There has been an exception for out of state athletes for decades. If a student from out of state attended a K-12 school from the beginning they were allowed to compete in athletics once they reached the high school grades. Seven Hills is an example of that type of school. I believe Summit Country Day is another.

Last edited:
I've heard Murphy dealt with many of the things forced upon by Central Office that led to Bolden's departure. Everyone thinks it's just about pay, but don't think about the other resources.

The NWLSD made a change 8-9 years ago that changed the way teams could handle donations. Most of the equipment, team meals, etc. was all through donations, fundraising and some from the boosters. Guess someone complained to the school board and they made all teams turnover 100% of the money they raised. They'd then have to ask the boosters to be able to spend their own money.

For Colerain Football (and Northwest Football to a lesser degree) this was a huge deal. The school itself doesn't have a bunch of resources to dump into the program. However, the community always supported it especially through donations and fundraisers. The Football team held youth camps, car washes, discount cards and a few more. Those raised just enough money to give them what they needed. Then the school board gets involved and takes all their money to dish out However they want.

Murphy not wanting to come back is 100% a school board/support issue and not a declining Colerain Program. Colerain isn't exactly what it once was, but they've still got dudes. Cutt just couldn't find the right assistance on the offensive side of the ball.

I've heard Murphy dealt with many of the things forced upon by Central Office that led to Bolden's departure. Everyone thinks it's just about pay, but don't think about the other resources.

The NWLSD made a change 8-9 years ago that changed the way teams could handle donations. Most of the equipment, team meals, etc. was all through donations, fundraising and some from the boosters. Guess someone complained to the school board and they made all teams turnover 100% of the money they raised. They'd then have to ask the boosters to be able to spend their own money.

For Colerain Football (and Northwest Football to a lesser degree) this was a huge deal. The school itself doesn't have a bunch of resources to dump into the program. However, the community always supported it especially through donations and fundraisers. The Football team held youth camps, car washes, discount cards and a few more. Those raised just enough money to give them what they needed. Then the school board gets involved and takes all their money to dish out However they want.

Murphy not wanting to come back is 100% a school board/support issue and not a declining Colerain Program. Colerain isn't exactly what it once was, but they've still got dudes. Cutt just couldn't find the right assistance on the offensive side of the ball.
Colerain still has a well organized booster program with current families, alumni and sponsors. Now its nowhere near what it was 10 years ago but still one of the stronger booster programs around.
At Colerain all sports programs had to have a % of booster members pulled from the teams and teams needed parent reps to attend meetings.
The booster meetings were always well attended with representatives from all sports and clubs that used booster money.
Meetings shared treasurer report ,Information on upcoming projects, fundraisers etc.
Northwest is also nowhere close to having that type of support from their families and alumni. (Heck they struggle to pull off class reunions).

Now Northwest is much smaller student body than Colerain and most are low to middle income families so there is not a whole lot of disposable income around. NW also had some issues with fundraising as there are state protocols that need to be followed and were not. The boosters is the best source to ensure all protocols are followed and monies accounted for. It also keeps teachers and coaches from getting fired.

Last edited:
Carl Huber brought Colerain a League title in Wrestling, so maybe he can do it on the Football side if given the opportunity??? Good Luck to whoever takes over this sinking ship.

Carl Huber brought Colerain a League title in Wrestling, so maybe he can do it on the Football side if given the opportunity??? Good Luck to whoever takes over this sinking ship.
AD says they have 80 candidates but plan to have a coach by this weekend. I am thinking it will be an in district hire..

Colerain didn't have the ability to pony up the money to get the guy they wanted so sounds like now they'll go through the process.

Gotta be tough for the AD to lure the right guy with his hands being tied (financially).

Looking at what other coaches in the conference are making should be a starting point for their admin. Unrealistic to think a proven guy is going to take this job for less money, crazy to think really.

AD says they have 80 candidates but plan to have a coach by this weekend. I am thinking it will be an in district hire..
I think the AD fool of sh it! No way with low pay, supposedly central office and school board bs that Colerain had 80 Candidates unless the AD was up at Nothgate gauging the interest of Mall Walkers.