Coaches Lying on records for seeding purposes

If you maximize your scheduling points, wrestle at least 1 match in state duals, and place in state below 1-2 you can get 89 matches in a season. We figured it all out a few years ago.
I wonder what the most matches wrestled during the high school season is in Ohio?

Al Melchiorre, Columbus Bishop Watterson (1980-81) went 61-10 and

Jay Nino, Genoa (2013-14) went 65-2.

They also changed the rule this year. Last year you were only allowed 5 matches per day and had to wait 45 minutes between matches. They changed that to 6 matches per day and 30 minutes.

I get it, you’re saying the Crawford kid should have been the 2 seed and the bracket probably would have fallen differently on the bottom have. Centerville maybe gets the 4 spot and makes it to districts. Instead Fairborn kid lays the preverbal egg.
At first, I thought it doesn't matter as BVK FBN were 2-3 seeded either way its ok but looking deeper I see what you're saying because CENT later beat FBN in the bracket. If it's swapped as it seems it should've been then CENT most likely gets 4th. Interesting.

At first, I thought it doesn't matter as BVK FBN were 2-3 seeded either way its ok but looking deeper I see what you're saying because CENT later beat FBN in the bracket. If it's swapped as it seems it should've been then CENT most likely gets 4th. Interesting.
;) those are hard to predict anyway, I would say more upsets in High school happen in 215 and 285 than almost any other weight classes. That's not saying it doesn't happen in any other weight class.

We have a kid with 53 and 55 matches...Two 2 day individual bracket tournaments, the rest dual tournaments, and 4 dual meets. If you do all dual tournaments you can get significantly more than this.
Right, looking at the schedule of a lot of theses girl teams, they do pool style events to get 5, 6 matches twice a month.

They also changed the rule this year. Last year you were only allowed 5 matches per day and had to wait 45 minutes between matches. They changed that to 6 matches per day and 30 minutes.
Is there a match limit per weekend/event? If not...you can now get 12 matches in a two day event and that would change the total. Might get more than 90 now!

I'll have to look it up. I retired from coaching HS in 2017 so I may be behind the times.

Is there a match limit per weekend/event? If not...you can now get 12 matches in a two day event and that would change the total. Might get more than 90 now!

I'll have to look it up. I retired from coaching HS in 2017 so I may be behind the times.
If I understand the rule correctly its still 10 for a 2 day tournament.

Just looked it up, you are correct.

Breakdown:

6 two day 10 match tournaments = 60 matches
1 one day 6 match tournament = 6 matches
state duals, your team wrestles the maximum = 6 matches
sectional = 6 matches (if you get the right draw) and get 3rd or 4th
district = 6 matches (same as above) and get 3rd or 4th
state = 4 matches if you win state or up to 6 if not

88 matches for a state champ, up to 90 potentially for a placer

That's insane!

Marion Pleasant, Licking Heights, Bishop Watterson...
I coached and officiated pretty much the whole NE and as far south as Ashland, Richland, and Holmes County and never came across a wrestler with over 50 matches until the 90's, but I have no reason to doubt you, just surprised.

The match limit is 6 per day. if it is a 2 day tournament like friday saturday then you get 6 on Friday and 6 on Saturday. Here is the OHSAA link to the new rule which stated it starts for the 2023-2024 year. Also my son is sitting at 43 matches on the year and most likely will wrestle 5 times this weekend to give him 48 and he only wrestled one tournament that he wrestled 6 in one day.

62 - Scott Duncan, Marion Pleasant (1982), 62-1
62 - Jamey Kasser, Summit Station Licking Heights (1979-1980), 62-0
61 - Al Melchiorre, Columbus Bishop Watterson (1980-1981), 61-10
60 - Al Melchiorre, Columbus Bishop Watterson (1981), 60-11
58 - Scott Duncan, Marion Pleasant (1980), 58-4
57 - Jamey Kasser, Summit Station Licking Heights (1980-1981), 57-0
57 - Scott Duncan, Marion Pleasant (1981), 57-1

The match limit is 6 per day. if it is a 2 day tournament like friday saturday then you get 6 on Friday and 6 on Saturday. Here is the OHSAA link to the new rule which stated it starts for the 2023-2024 year. Also my son is sitting at 43 matches on the year and most likely will wrestle 5 times this weekend to give him 48 and he only wrestled one tournament that he wrestled 6 in one day.

Nope, still a limit of 10 for a two day event.

Nope, still a limit of 10 for a two day event.
Not sure why you would, but you could do a Friday night round robin tourney and get 6 matches, then go to a full tourney the next day and get 6. That's 4 points but still 12 matches in a 2 day period.

Not sure why you would, but you could do a Friday night round robin tourney and get 6 matches, then go to a full tourney the next day and get 6. That's 4 points but still 12 matches in a 2 day period.

Okay, so technically you could, but not with the same event.

I'd be real interested to hear if any team ever does this.

62 - Scott Duncan, Marion Pleasant (1982), 62-1
62 - Jamey Kasser, Summit Station Licking Heights (1979-1980), 62-0
61 - Al Melchiorre, Columbus Bishop Watterson (1980-1981), 61-10
60 - Al Melchiorre, Columbus Bishop Watterson (1981), 60-11
58 - Scott Duncan, Marion Pleasant (1980), 58-4
57 - Jamey Kasser, Summit Station Licking Heights (1980-1981), 57-0
57 - Scott Duncan, Marion Pleasant (1981), 57-1
I talked to Jamey Kasser about this once and he said when he was in school they were allowed to wrestle a dual and tournament each week of the season. He had a year with something like 13 tournament wins (counting post season). I doubt you will ever see this again.

Just looked it up, you are correct.

Breakdown:

6 two day 10 match tournaments = 60 matches
1 one day 6 match tournament = 6 matches
state duals, your team wrestles the maximum = 6 matches
sectional = 6 matches (if you get the right draw) and get 3rd or 4th
district = 6 matches (same as above) and get 3rd or 4th
state = 4 matches if you win state or up to 6 if not

88 matches for a state champ, up to 90 potentially for a placer

That's insane!

If your a state champ your not wrestling the max # of matches in bracket tournaments though. But, yeah your math works other than that.

If your a state champ your not wrestling the max # of matches in bracket tournaments though. But, yeah your math works other than that.
I have absolutely know idea why you would want to wrestle that many matches but to each their own.