Cincinnati D-1 Sectional

What does the rule say if the clock reads 0.00 and the shot is not off yet in HS basketball? I was not aware that the red light means nothing in HS and that the horn takes precedence. In college basketball, the rule is that the clock takes precedence over the red light and the horn from what I have read. According to the rules that I read on the NCAA, if a shot goes off with the horn not yet on but the clock reads 0.00, it does not count. I know that this is not the NCAA in this thread but I just thought it was interesting about the various rules at different levels. Does anyone know in here what takes precedence in the high school rules, the time left on the clock or the horn sounding? It seems that others are saying above that the LaSalle player shot the ball after the clock read 0.00 but that is okay since the horn had not sounded yet which would make the shot uncounted in NCAA rules but good in HS rules. Is that correct?
I am not trying to argue or complain just asking about the rules for clarification purposes.

Under NCAA rules, when a courtside monitor is used (replay), the progression of the indicators that the period has ended is as follows....

Clock (0.00), LED, Horn. Start with the clock. If not visible on the monitor, they next used the LED, and if not helpful, they use the horn.

Now as far as High School and specifically the OHSAA Post Season, there seems to be some conflicting information regarding the Red LED and it's use during the tournament.

OHSAA Basketball Regulations dictate that the 2019-2020 NFHS Basketball Rules will govern the contests. Under NFHS Rule 5-6-2 and NFHS Case Book Play 5.6.2 Situation I, the red LED signal is used if it is present. Absent a LED signal, the officials are to use the audible signal (horn / buzzer) to signal the end of a period.... The progression is LED, Horn/Buzzer, Clock.

In the OHSAA tournament regulations it initially notes that all contests are to be played under NFHS Rules. Later in the document under the heading of "Video Replay" it states....

"Video replay as approved by NFHS Rules will only be permitted at the Boys’ & Girls’ State Semi-finals and Finals held at the Schottenstein Center at The Ohio State University. No replay is authorized for use at any Sectional, District or Regional contest. Red LED lights are used in conjunction with Video Replay and will also be used only at the Boys’ & Girls’ State Semi-finals and Finals, and shall be turned off at all Sectional, District and Regional contests"

It seems that this may be a document originally published in prior years and updated with changes on an annual basis (shaded areas are changes from a prior year) and this somehow wasn't updated, as there is a direct conflict between this statement and the NFHS Rule Book. (in addition this regulation mentions the "Schottenstein Center" and not St. John Arena). Prior to the rule change, LED's could be used as an aid in replay only as they were not a consideration (by rule) by the officials on the floor.

I've yet to hear from an official who has been told to ignore a red LED signal at the end of a period when making their decision since the rule was put into place allowing the LED in 2009.

I suspect it will be addressed. (They may instruct to turnoff or ignore the light or they may instruct to adhere to the NFHS Rule)

And with respect to the two contests being debated the past week or so, it really changes nothing as they are both purely judgment calls and are not subject to video replay.

Last edited:
Basketball is such a game of emotion, a game of runs, having no fans there will definitely make things different. They initially said immediate family, then heard 4 family members per player. Not sure if that includes cheerleaders or not. That's a shame for some of these teams to get to this point and miss the excitement of playing in front of their fellow students, friends, friends of the family.

Either they are jumping off the deep end with this virus...........or they are expecting this virus to spread like a wild fire and just trying to slow it down. Crazy......

It is a shame. 4 tickets per family of players.
Yes it will move like wildfire, hopefully burn out just as quickly. I think this is premature for our area and is unsustainable for the next 4-8 weeks.

No talk about the 2 games tonight? Looks like Moeller rolled as expected. East gets what looks like another East type of win, holding another team to under 40. Anyone have an eyeball on the game? I believe the score was tied 33-33 in the 4th quarter. If that's true I'm definitely curious to hear how it finished out after that.

Last edited:
No talk about the 2 games tonight? Looks like Moeller rolled as expected. East gets what looks like another East type of win, holding another team to under 40. Anyone have an eyeball on the game? I believe the score was tied 33-33 in the 4th quarter. If that's true I'm definitely curious to hear how it finished out after that.
One thing that happened is East made 9 of 10