CHL Football 23

There's a high-quality stream of Purcell vs Deer Park for anyone who'd like to check either team out.

DP has a few athletes on each side of the ball but they were generally undisciplined and definitely missed Luckett in the run game. If it weren't for a late PM safety, DP wouldn't have gotten the ball back one last time, which allowed Parsons to complete his first passes of the day with under 2 minutes to go in the game.

PM has a speedy RB who torched DP in open space and a monster 6'4 TE/WR (w/ several D1 offers) who had two long catch-and-runs for TDs. Their athletes will give Madeira some fits in Week 3, but I expect that game to be a good one on both sides.

IH got off hot shoulda been 21-0 but got a 95 yard td called back on a dumb flag. Then tragic things happened and John prodijjl ran for about 20 yards and came up screaming holding his shoulder gotta feel horrible for the kid. Then the defense battled and battled was a one point game then the backup qb fumbled the exchange and they RB returned it to the house.

Rodenburg is out of his element in small school ball. Zero adjustments on defense. From an offensive standpoint it was penalty after penalty, I lost track. The offensive pass interference that brought the TD back was blatant. I was standing on the fence line right where it happened. My question is, why with a QB who is just coming back from an injury, when you have a stable of running backs, run a QB sweep to the right? I get it he is fast. But a QB sweep to the right will always mean one thing, he is going to land on this throwing shoulder.
Just dumb IMO

So the IH QB gets hurt week 1 in two consecutive seasons? That’s tough I hope it works out for the kid. Sounds like it was an injury to his throwing arm?

Wyoming's Hancock had a long TD run early against Ross and then went out with an arm/shoulder injury for the rest of the game. Will be a huge blow to them if he's out for the season.

Who was the hype coming from? I dont recall too many people talking Taylor way over board?
I obviously root for the jackets I am an Alum and my kids currently play sports there but I am probably one of the most realistic posters there are on here and I dont recall it.

Did McFarland have a pretty good freshmen year , yes BUT alot of it was due to The other big receiver being injured
I thought the same thing. More than once this guy has brought up the “Taylor hype train”. WTH? Some CHL people don’t want Taylor to get mentioned at all. If they do it’s a “hype train”. Clueless.

Rodenburg is out of his element in small school ball. Zero adjustments on defense. From an offensive standpoint it was penalty after penalty, I lost track. The offensive pass interference that brought the TD back was blatant. I was standing on the fence line right where it happened. My question is, why with a QB who is just coming back from an injury, when you have a stable of running backs, run a QB sweep to the right? I get it he is fast. But a QB sweep to the right will always mean one thing, he is going to land on this throwing shoulder.
Just dumb IMO

Rodenberg has complete buy-in from players, parents, community and staff. He is a state-championship coach and will figure it out.

Rodenberg has complete buy-in from players, parents, community and staff. He is a state-championship coach and will figure it out.
If he has complete buy in then no one should worried about the parents "running him off". There was certainly excitement with the hire, but I don't think there is "complete buy in" now. I don't think the community should be excited about 3-7 seasons coached by someone who won state championships at other schools. What has he done at IH in 18 months to get excited about?

If he has complete buy in then no one should worried about the parents "running him off". There was certainly excitement with the hire, but I don't think there is "complete buy in" now. I don't think the community should be excited about 3-7 seasons coached by someone who won state championships at other schools. What has he done at IH in 18 months to get excited about?
I can promise you majority of alum are not bought in on any level.

In regards to IH it at least felt different this time after the injury. It felt like they had a plan and they were still in the game. They have a viable backup in Sichel and he'll get a full week of practice to improve and be involved in the game plan. Way to early to abandon ship. This team is in a better position to deal with this huge injury than they were last year. Question is does podojil have surgery now and come back in about a month or does he do what he did last year and let it heal on its own.

In regards to IH it at least felt different this time after the injury. It felt like they had a plan and they were still in the game. They have a viable backup in Sichel and he'll get a full week of practice to improve and be involved in the game plan. Way to early to abandon ship. This team is in a better position to deal with this huge injury than they were last year. Question is does podojil have surgery now and come back in about a month or does he do what he did last year and let it heal on its own.
I would agree with the game plan statement on some regard. They didn't have a backup QB last year. Just a replacement. This year it's actually a backup, so we can assume he got a decent amount of pre season reps and in a comfortable position.
There are multiple alums from different generations on the coaching staff. Alums are bought in.
Your are talking about what 3/4 guys. One who just graduated. Certainly can't speak for the 1,000 of alumni

The fact there are four alumni, two parents of current students/players and two IHHS staff members on varsity staff is a good representation of community. The community is fully behind and the players/parents absolutely all in. Not going to be convinced otherwise by a minority view.

IH seemed to have bright spots got off super hot but man i feel bad for those kids. Your starting qb going down 3 years in a row with thorton then podijill. Seems as if podijill will get surgery and come back as it’s his senior year. The bright spots for IH were Dan OBrien who had a magnificent game and alex grace. On defense Eli Riggs had 3 sacks at linebacker played great and Charlie rogers had 6 tackles and a INT at corner. Ben sichell showed flashes too. We will see with IH

Finneytown might be 3-0 following non-conference. Week #2 vs St. Bernard and week #3 vs Lockland, I think are winnable games. Definitely would answer the question do they fit better in the MVC. Speaking of which, does Ftown have a JV team?
I’ve been saying for years Bacon and Finneytown should switch leagues

Does the CHL want a competitive Catholic school? Seems there was some blowback a few years ago when Bacon and Purcell left the GCL and McNick was looking into other options as well.
I think It might be because Bacon draws kids from Finneytown and Wyoming

Harrison may be better than we think.
What the heck happened at IH?
Harrison scheduled them selves alot better this year. Last year they were 1-9 and their only win was VS west hi.

They dropped Miamisburg and Wyoming and added Taylor and IH. So as far as 2nd level points didnt really do anything to help their cause but they may get a few wins from it. They were bigger and stronger than Taylor by all accounts for sure! and not taking anything away from them

but dickie was 9-19 for 104yds and 50 yds rushing with a Fumble. #3 is the one who we couldnt stop b/c again their line was bigger and stronger than ours.

Harrison may have a running clock put on them this week by watching the highlights of L'burg and EC

Week 2:
Schroeder at Deer Park: no idea on Schroeder, but usually are not good. DP by 23
IH at NW: NW seems to be just terrible and on the verge of folding program. IH grinds one out with backup QB in an ugly football game. IH by 17.
Mariemont at Norwood: Tulley seems to be the answer. Norwood terrible. MM by 28.
Taft at Reading: Taft too much. Taft by 27.
Madeira at Shawnee: not the right game scheduled for Madeira. Maybe a year ago, but not this year. Shawnee by 28.
Lawrenceburg at Taylor: similar theme, not great scheduling here for a team that should be decent. Lawrenceburg by 32.
Monroe at Wyoming: WYO defense must again win the game. Game of week. WYO by 1.

mad vs Shawnee - Madeira put up 400+ yds on Norwood (100+ more than last years team put up) I think this younger version is has a bunch of weapons , although Shawnee is good. I will say mustangs by 6

MM vs Norwood - Norwood is not very good MM comes off a big win , MM by 20

Reading vs Taft. Taft is too fast and athletic. Reading may stay close in the 1st half but Seals may be too much for them to handle Taft by 27

Wyoming vs Monroe - Wyoming is a little more evenly attacking this year with run/pass. Wyoming wins by 10

FT vs St B EP - FT with a shut out win , ST B coming off a big win as well. The Harris kid may run for 400+ vs FT. ST B EP by 30

DP vs Shroder - DP showed glimmers of hope vs PC but lack of depth and 1 2 punch of smiley/harris for PM were too much . Shroder lost a close on to Aiken. I think DP can pull off a close one. DP by 6

IH vs Northwest. Injury early to IH again but their Defense did everything they could to stay in the game. Northwest names new HC right before season starts. IH lost to NW by 3 TD's last year. Im taking IH by 7

Taylor vs L'burg. Both teams coming off loses to much larger schools (taylor lost to Harrison, L'burg lost to defending State champs EC)
Taylor HAS to get the running game going to open up the pass game. Should be a packed house. Im going Yellow jackets by 7

Week 2:
Schroeder at Deer Park: Schroeder is not very good. DP by 21
IH at NW: Im going with NW here simply because of size and depth and that Podijil is out from what Im hearing
Mariemont at Norwood: Norwood like chroeder is not good. Mariemont by 24
Taft at Reading: Not even a close game. Taft is stacked and should be playing for State. Taft by 28
Madeira at Shawnee: Madeira lost too much. This isnt the same Madeira team as last year. Shawnee by 17
Lawrenceburg at Taylor: Taylor just doesnt have the size up front to compete with these bigger schools. We seen that last week. Skill wise yes but we know the game is won in the trenches. Lburg by 21
Monroe at Wyoming: Wyoming played a close game against Ross. Monroe and Ross are similar. Im going with Wyoming by 14

A couple thoughts after reading the takeaways.

First, regarding IH. They have good coaches on their staff, however, when it comes to the man running the ship, the closest example he has to this type of program, he lasted 2 years and finished 7-13. They were worse in his 2nd year than they were his first. He has the trophies and accolades but trying to compare what he did at Cov Cath or Moeller, or Roncalli to what he's working with now, is comparing apples to peanuts. You have no evidence he is a good coach in the kind of environment he's in. It's very possible John's looking at an 0-3 start, though Northwest is a mess. Luckily the CHL, isn't very good and he'll save some face in league play, but 4-6 isn't out of the question. I said it last year and I'll say it again. I think he's gone after this year. In response to their Roger Bacon game, RB is an ok football team. IH wasn't down 1 against a very good team like it appears many IH fans are trying to sell themselves on here.

Wyoming - It's a shame no one else in the CHL is very good cause this is the year that Goliath could have been slayed. I'm probably one of the few on here who actually likes Aaron, but they are going to have some growing pains this year and will win a game or two due to the nature of the playoffs now but I don't think they compete with the top 4-5 teams in the region. Hope I'm wrong, but the future of the Cowboys probably needs a season like this just to bring them back to Earth and not be complacent.

If Taylor was an ice cream flavor it would be vanilla. Some taste different, maybe have a slightly different color or beans to make it look and appear like the real deal....but ultimately, it's plain and ordinary and you always know what you're going to get and what to expect. Same is true from the Jackets.

Deer Park - Can never take a team seriously with no discipline. They'll have another 5-6 games this year where they give up 30+ points. It may be the new thing to outscore opponents and not play defense, but not when you run the triple option.

Madeira - They did better than I anticipated. The Wood isn't very good, but being up 35-0 at half after losing the talent they did last year was a surprise to me. I expected a blow out, but not quite like it happened. I think they have just become the favorite for 2nd place in the CHL IMO.

A couple thoughts after reading the takeaways.

First, regarding IH. They have good coaches on their staff, however, when it comes to the man running the ship, the closest example he has to this type of program, he lasted 2 years and finished 7-13. They were worse in his 2nd year than they were his first. He has the trophies and accolades but trying to compare what he did at Cov Cath or Moeller, or Roncalli to what he's working with now, is comparing apples to peanuts. You have no evidence he is a good coach in the kind of environment he's in. It's very possible John's looking at an 0-3 start, though Northwest is a mess. Luckily the CHL, isn't very good and he'll save some face in league play, but 4-6 isn't out of the question. I said it last year and I'll say it again. I think he's gone after this year. In response to their Roger Bacon game, RB is an ok football team. IH wasn't down 1 against a very good team like it appears many IH fans are trying to sell themselves on here.

Wyoming - It's a shame no one else in the CHL is very good cause this is the year that Goliath could have been slayed. I'm probably one of the few on here who actually likes Aaron, but they are going to have some growing pains this year and will win a game or two due to the nature of the playoffs now but I don't think they compete with the top 4-5 teams in the region. Hope I'm wrong, but the future of the Cowboys probably needs a season like this just to bring them back to Earth and not be complacent.

If Taylor was an ice cream flavor it would be vanilla. Some taste different, maybe have a slightly different color or beans to make it look and appear like the real deal....but ultimately, it's plain and ordinary and you always know what you're going to get and what to expect. Same is true from the Jackets.

Deer Park - Can never take a team seriously with no discipline. They'll have another 5-6 games this year where they give up 30+ points. It may be the new thing to outscore opponents and not play defense, but not when you run the triple option.

Madeira - They did better than I anticipated. The Wood isn't very good, but being up 35-0 at half after losing the talent they did last year was a surprise to me. I expected a blow out, but not quite like it happened. I think they have just become the favorite for 2nd place in the CHL IMO.
Does that small ball record include the 2-8 his lone season at Roger Bacon. And speaking of Bacon, I wouldn't call them a good team. Average maybe. They got worked by Reading in the scrimmage the week before. It was actually online. And, not just that, the camera man was in the press box I guess. You could hear every single RB play call and strategies being discussed. A scouting gold mine for IH and their D still got torched.

Shroder at DP: Cats looked ok at times against a much better PM team. Should have no problem with this one. DP by 10

IH at Northwest: Train wreck of a game. NW hires a new coach 24hrs before the season opener. IH loses starting QB week #1 for the 2nd straight year. I think NW problems are a lot bigger than Indian Hill's. The benefit of the doubt and hope IH doesn't completely derail, Braves by 7

Mariemont at Norwood: Norwood is just bad. Mariemont won a close game against a competitive team. Warriors by 20.

Taft at Reading: Reading has no chance here. Head scratcher of a game schedule IMO. Already got 3 teams in the conference in the same region, why go schedule another who has consistently been at the top? The grass and crowned field might slow the Senators down and take a little getting used too. When that happens the floodgates will open. Taft by 30

Madeira at Shawnee: Madeira did what was expected and handled Norwood with no problem. Shawnee also won big was a DIV playoff team last season losing to Wyoming 35-0. Sounds like a tough road game for the Stangs. I will say Shawnee by 7

Lawerenburg at Taylor: Interesting matchup both by location and state-to-state comparison. LB is a very solid and consistent small school in Indiana. Taylor on the other hand is a decent program. Has some up years, some middle years and a few down years. But does playing in Ohio and the CHL prepare them for a game like this? I will say yes and go Jackets by 4.

Monroe at Wyoming: Wyoming got by in a grinder vs Ross and it would appear that is the style of ball we can expect out of them this year. Some possible injuries could really affect this young team esp early in the season. Monroe shut out a terrible Talawanda team who Ross has had no problem with in the past. So I will say Cowboys by 10

Finneytown at St. Bernard: I love the fact Coach Tatum got a 2nd chance after being completely thrown under the bus at Western Hills. He will do great things for Finneytown and their kids regardless of on-field record. St. Bernard also has a young coach who has his team bought in. Very good matchup, I rooting for the Cats to get Win #2, so let's say Finneytown by 3.

I don't think "solid and consistent" does justice to Lawrenceburg. They're 0-5 against East Central since 2019 but undefeated otherwise (regular season). Last year they lost to two state champions, beat everyone else by more than two scores.

Put another way, every year they're 0-1 when they play Taylor and they're 12-1 three months later.