CHL Football 23

Come on now...
1) Rodenberg is the best coach in Ohio that never gets talked about. His resume is nearly unmatched. He can coach kids up.
2) Small schools often have the best skill players, just don't have the linemen. His old McNick teams with Cupito would slice up Kerry Coombs and Colerain in 7 on 7 back in the day because linemen weren't involved.
3) I see Indian Hill and Wyoming top 2 in CHL, by far.

1) Rodenberg is the best coach in Ohio that never gets talked about. His resume is nearly unmatched. He can coach kids up.
2) Small schools often have the best skill players, just don't have the linemen. His old McNick teams with Cupito would slice up Kerry Coombs and Colerain in 7 on 7 back in the day because linemen weren't involved.

I'm sure Rodenberg is a great coach and does a great job.

Not sure why small schools would have more skilled players. More kids = more players = more skilled players.

I'm sure Indian Hill will be just fine in the CHL (behind Wyoming), but I have doubts that they went and "sliced up" Lakota West, even in 7v7s. In fact, why would West and Indian Hill even scrimmage each other? They are not remotely on the same level.

Last edited:

There's stupidity and then there's this comment. Cupito was a D1 Big Ten QB who is still top 2 in most Minnesota's passing categories. Second, I'll take every GMC school's skill players over IH and any CHL school twice a day and double on Weekends.

All you have to do is look at the high D1 skill guys that Indian Hill has put out the last few years. They’ve got guys in the SEC, Big 10, Notre Dame. The list could go on and on.

Oh whoops. I made a mistake. That’s where Lakota West has put skill guys. IH hasn’t had one yet.

totally agree. IH probably has the best skill group in the chl. Actually the best. (WR room) Alex grace is a name who i wouldn’t be shocked if he wins chl player of the year at WR. Daniel OBrien returns 20 pounds heavier looking for a big role. The slots have speed with Noah Frazier being the more meaty one and Charlie rogers ran a 4.61 at the UC camp. Eli Riggs back at TE should explode.

Or maybe Colerain threw the ball 6 times a year under Coombs

totally agree. IH probably has the best skill group in the chl. Actually the best. (WR room) Alex grace is a name who i wouldn’t be shocked if he wins chl player of the year at WR. Daniel OBrien returns 20 pounds heavier looking for a big role. The slots have speed with Noah Frazier being the more meaty one and Charlie rogers ran a 4.61 at the UC camp. Eli Riggs back at TE should explode.
Dang this dude loves Alex Grace.

So no excuses to lose to Wyoming this year, right? Best skill group, Podojil back at QB and soon-to-be COY Rodenberg at the helm?

You might want to compare his record at small schools vs large private before you claim his resume is unmatched.
Very good coach, but the best in Ohio. That's a little bit of an overreach.
2nd you talk about one McNick team who had a generation talents at QB with the Cupito brothers. With the one example vs a Triple Option team in a 7 on 7 in 1998.

So no excuses to lose to Wyoming this year, right? Best skill group, Podojil back at QB and soon-to-be COY Rodenberg at the helm?
We will see how the line holds up. I think they have a shot in the dark this year but it’s Wyoming. Wyoming is on another level year in and year out.

Believe the view at IH is that Rodenberg has been a tremendous hire. Absolutely has completely shifted the culture at IH and full buy-in all the way through the youth program.

I heard different a year ago about the whole community being "bought in."
So if a year later after a 3-7 season from "top to bottom" if they are, kudos

Believe the view at IH is that Rodenberg has been a tremendous hire. Absolutely has completely shifted the culture at IH and full buy-in all the way through the youth program.

Again, I'm sure he's a great coach and I actually hope he gets them back on track. The CHL needs Indian Hill to be good.

I'm just expressing my doubts that a 3-7 team, who just lost their best pass catcher to injury, has the "best skill group" in the CHL and "sliced up" Lakota West in 7v7s. And if that's true, they should be competing with Wyoming this year.

I also have a little doubt that the culture can be changed so quickly after Indian Hill's worst season in awhile, even if injuries were partly to blame. Indian Hill parents don't seem to be the type to be real patient after losing games to Deer Park and Mariemont and getting blown out 4-5 other times.

just left wyoming v. NW game. it was 28-0 wyoming when i left early. wyoming's jacob hancock is really good. either NW is small, or wyoming is bigger than i expected. neither team had much on the sidelines.

does anyone know if ross' levy defeat has depressed football participation? i remember reading that kids have to pay to play a sport now.

just left wyoming v. NW game. it was 28-0 wyoming when i left early. wyoming's jacob hancock is really good. either NW is small, or wyoming is bigger than i expected. neither team had much on the sidelines.
UH Northwest has been bad for years. Eleven years in the SWOC, zero league championships. Just a bad program.

does anyone know if ross' levy defeat has depressed football participation? i remember reading that kids have to pay to play a sport now.
UH Ross has 12 Seniors this year, not good for a D2 school. I still believe they will be very good, fast kids and an aggressive defense.

Week One:
Roger Bacon @ IH- Lot of hype on this year's IH team, New Coach in 2nd Year, Senior Class of Destiny. Bacon consistently good. IH by 3.
Woodward @ Reading- Reading is a wild-card with loss of Engel. Depth returning. Reading by 7.
Wyoming @ Ross- Wyoming wins with its world-class defense. WYO by 11
Oakwood@ Mariemont- Mariemont struggles and turnovers doom. Oakwood by 14.
Deer Park @ Purcell Marian- Opening of Staubach stadium. PM supposed to be good. DP has some dudes. DP by 3 in high energy/turnover game.
Harrison @ Taylor- Harrison is D2, but they are also 1-9 and scheduling CHL does not indicate confidence. Taylor hype train last year derailed but this should be a better team. Taylor by 10.
Norwood @ Madeira- Madeira lost a ton and got rolled in their scrimmage. Norwood is not good. Madeira by 14 in ugly game.
Finneytown @ Attica- No idea here, but not betting on FT. Attica by 42.

Ftown seems to schedule smart non-league giving them a good opportunity for a W. Cats by 10

Madeira should have no problem with Norwood regardless of graduated talent. Established system and discipline with the difference against a bad Norwood team. Stangs by 14

Taylor is young but experienced. Took a lot and got the growing pains out of the way last year in many positions. QB returns with league-leading #s. Harrison at D2 will however have the depth and with the addition of Engle who I believe had his best passing game against Taylor last year looking at the stats, should be enough for Harrison to get the W. Harrison by 7

I don't see DP beating Purcell Marian. PM was an up-and-coming team last year and now with a new coach, a new stadium. I see PM walking all over the Wildcats. PM by 17

Mariemont was very inconsistent last year, and I know very little about Oakwood. Both programs have been solid in the past and seen playoff success, but this year as of right now a toss-up. Being at home, I'll go with Mariemont by 4.

Wyoming is not star-studded this year, but consistency and confidence goes a long way in small school ball. Ross just won't have the skills or continuity to beat the Cowboys. Wyoming by 12.

Reading vs Woodward will be a very interesting matchup. Wooward if they continue with last years strategy even with a new coach, they will throw the ball 60x and Reading will look to run the ball 60x. Fire meets ice. Reading at home on the only grass field in the league i think will slow down the Bulldogs, but I think their speed will make it difficult for Reading. Though Blue Devils by 7

Indian Hill, the season, the senior class we have heard about for years now is on the clock. Roger Bacon I heard had trouble stopping Reading's run game and didn't seem too explosive on offense. MVC followers have told me this is the year PM takes the Scarlet division, so with that being said, I will go with IH by 3. Low scoring game is my prediction.

Attica is 0-17 the last two seasons… and play 1A, Indiana’s lowest classification.

Their closest game last season was a 46-6 loss.

They had 16 kids dress for their final game of the season (according to highlights on MaxPreps).

Finneytown will be low on numbers themselves but should be favorites with better athletes on the field - even after making a 2 hr 45 min drive.