Changes to Girls Basketball that you would like to see for the 2021-2022 Season?

Totally disagree. A bye is by definition the easiest game they could play. The proper spot on a bracket is created when the brackets are first made. Played in plenty of tournaments in many sports that say the top line is the home team. Very simple fix for HS sports.

Win the first seed and you get the easiest path to a the third round. Start with a bye and play the lowest seed in the second round. That is a huge reward and plenty for any team in Ohio. No need to lineup the two lowest seeds and get a home court for both so we can see 80-20 scores two rounds in a row.

Maybe we could just go to straight seeding and not let the teams pick their spots at all. That would fix the first round meaningless blowouts that could easily be avoided.

It actually wouldn't fix the blowouts... and they've done the auto-lines before. It wasn't any better. I don't get the obsession here tbh. You earn the right to have the easy path by winning during the season. No one should be forced to take a bye for reasons already discussed.

It actually wouldn't fix the blowouts... and they've done the auto-lines before. It wasn't any better. I don't get the obsession here tbh. You earn the right to have the easy path by winning during the season. No one should be forced to take a bye for reasons already discussed.
If a #8 plays a #9 to advance to play the #1, that is alot better than the #1 drilling the #9 in the first round and then drilling the #8 in the second round. It seems simple to me if you want to improve the sport, take the most glaring issue and fix it first. Massive blowouts are what gets headlines. For a sport that is limping along right now, this would be a good first step.

More travels need called. It's getting ugly out there. Especially 'the catch the ball with 2 feet stationary on the ground...then hop into the shot with no dribble'.

Mind blowing.
I couldnt agree more. Between that and the Eurostep, the whistles should be pretty constant.

MY DREAM:
1. Reset team fouls after each quarter
2. 5 team fouls in a quarter equals two shots
3. Timeout after a made basket advances the ball
4. 30 second shot clock

MY HOPE:
1. Do true NCAA bracketing come tournament time. No coaches "choosing" where they go. If there's 14 teams, 1 gets the bye and and plays the winner of the 8 v 9 game.
2. Move back the start of basketball season to November 1st. No reason to be starting on October 22nd. (I know the state tournament dates determine start date, but a lot of volleyball and soccer teams are still playing).

More travels need called. It's getting ugly out there. Especially 'the catch the ball with 2 feet stationary on the ground...then hop into the shot with no dribble'.

Mind blowing.
While I agree about the hop into a shot without dribbling should be called, I'm far more frustrated with the players taking 2-3 steps on a drive to the basket or pulling up for a shot. The hop is usually done to position the feet for a shot. Those drives to the basket create an advantage relative to the defense. Also seems like the bigger players get called for more travels than the smaller, quicker players who seem to travel far more frequently.

So you want the women's college rules.
What's the logic behind advancing the ball? What's it fix?

Yes. Would love the women's college rules. But I do like the 10 second backcourt violation.

For ball advancement: Increased excitement. More strategy involved. I'd prefer half court like FIBA rules vs the 28ft like NBA. Some HS teams do it now anyway (they'll inbound to half court and call a timeout on the catch).

While I agree about the hop into a shot without dribbling should be called, I'm far more frustrated with the players taking 2-3 steps on a drive to the basket or pulling up for a shot. The hop is usually done to position the feet for a shot. Those drives to the basket create an advantage relative to the defense. Also seems like the bigger players get called for more travels than the smaller, quicker players who seem to travel far more frequently.
Couldn’t agree more and it has created ugly basketball and FRUSTRATED fans lol

Had the privilege of watching a niece play in the Kentucky Sweet 16 this past weekend and was really impressed with the level of play. Not sure they had a team quite like MND or Newark but left pretty impressed - it is really neat how they don’t use use any division system and from Wednesday to Saturday the final 16 teams duke it out. Her team lost in the championship game and they played the semifinals that morning so was just crazy day. Maybe the biggest takeaway for me was the officiating - they did allow the kids to play physical but didn’t allow the constant mugging many complained about during the OHSAA tournament. It really did allow for a clean flow to the game and allowed for the teams to really just play ball without beating the crap out of each other. Just an observation......

Had the privilege of watching a niece play in the Kentucky Sweet 16 this past weekend and was really impressed with the level of play. Not sure they had a team quite like MND or Newark but left pretty impressed - it is really neat how they don’t use use any division system and from Wednesday to Saturday the final 16 teams duke it out. Her team lost in the championship game and they played the semifinals that morning so was just crazy day. Maybe the biggest takeaway for me was the officiating - they did allow the kids to play physical but didn’t allow the constant mugging many complained about during the OHSAA tournament. It really did allow for a clean flow to the game and allowed for the teams to really just play ball without beating the crap out of each other. Just an observation......

Refs in Indiana call the game much more closely as well.... seems as if in Ohio much more physical play is allowed than in Indiana and Kentucky. Not sure the reason for the difference.

Refs in Indiana call the game much more closely as well.... seems as if in Ohio much more physical play is allowed than in Indiana and Kentucky. Not sure the reason for the difference.
Yea not sure but I do know it definitely presented a better flow or quality of game and honestly the coaches were actually coaching and not constantly bickering with the refs. Was just refreshing lol

5 Divisions in boys and girls basketball. Since the OHSAA is too lazy to collect new enrollment numbers (because of convenient Covid excuse), they are making every team stay in the same division for the 3rd year in a row. Even though, last year was supposed to be the end of the cycle.

Bottom line, the OHSAA was too lazy or imaginative to come up with a new plan. So many schools whose enrollment have changed, will be stuck in higher divisions for the 3rd straight season. A complete asinine move by the OHSAA.

The only solution to this incompetence would be to redraw divisions. But since the OHSAA is being pig-headed, it would seem that adding a 5th divisions would alleviate teams on the low end of the current divisions. Its a great idea but I am 100% certain the clowns in Columbus won't lift a finger to make things better for the kids around the state. It would add additional ticket sales and more money for the greedy OHSAA. Sure it would create some additional work, but most good things do.
The OHSAA has never collected the enrollment numbers. They rely on the number from ODE. So if you want to get made at someone get mad at ODE for not counting enrollment in October 2020.

Also, no reason that girls basketball should be starting on October 22nd. Next season if even earlier, October 21st.

Start date should just be the first Monday or Tuesday after October 31st, every year.

Start no earlier than November 1st and no later than November 6th. Gives plenty of time between volleyball and soccer to end unless your team is in the final 4.

Probably nothing within their purview. Separation between haves and have-nots seems to be widening and killing the sport. Perception or reality?
It's like this in almost every girls sport. With Title IX, all the advances in girls sports, there is still just not enough interest overall to bring about alot of parity. There is also a lack of pride and perseverance in high school now. What I mean by that is there was a time when kids felt a responsibility to represent the school in all kinds of extra curriculars. Now it's shifting to more about what's in it for the kid. And once a program is bad, the kids run off like rats off a sinking ship.

The OHSAA has never collected the enrollment numbers. They rely on the number from ODE. So if you want to get made at someone get mad at ODE for not counting enrollment in October 2020.
Actually you are 100% correct. And it is completely unchecked and un-monitored by the ohsaa