CFP 2021

Texas A&M and Notre Dame are the two teams everyone is sleeping on. If chaos ensues, both could be worthy representatives in the CFP, in spite of Omar’s self-loathing ways.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
If A&M runs the table, beats GA in the SEC Championship game, then yes. I agree. That would require Auburn to beat Bama. The Aggies do NOT control their own destiny, but I think the Committee would be put them in at #4 if they run the table. That would be ranked wins over Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, and Ole Miss, with most coming in the 2nd half of the season.

Notre Dame's only path is to have 3 of the following:
Undefeated Georgia
2-loss or more Pac 12 Champ
2-loss or more Big 12 Champ
1-loss Cincinnati
2-loss or more Big 10 Champ

Almost everyone except for Georgia has either been too inconsistent or just hasn't looked good at all.
They’re just such a bad matchup vs UGA. Don’t get me wrong, I want them to win out, but I don’t want them to get embarrassed again on a National stage.

The nuclear scenario for the committee is for a potential 4th playoff spot to come down to a 1 loss ND vs. a 1 loss UC conference champ. ND is really improving and have played some great defense as of late but at the end of the season they will probably not beaten any team in the top 25 and will have lost at home their head to head match up with the Bearcats. Then again ND drives ratings and has many advocates on the committee...

No disrespect to ND, but hopefully the committee realizes that the Irish just played a VA team that had a freshman QB starting his first game, also without their starting RB. Not saying the Hoos would have won otherwise, but if Armstrong played, that game would have been competitive.

No disrespect to ND, but hopefully the committee realizes that the Irish just played a VA team that had a freshman QB starting his first game, also without their starting RB. Not saying the Hoos would have won otherwise, but if Armstrong played, that game would have been competitive.
I don’t think that’s disrespect, that’s stating the obvious. I’m a big ND fan, they’re just not that good. The schedule has been insanely easy aside from UC.

I don’t think that’s disrespect, that’s stating the obvious. I’m a big ND fan, they’re just not that good. The schedule has been insanely easy aside from UC.
And not playing a conference championship game helps a ton too. ND gets to sit at home the 1st weekend of December which when they move to a 12 team playoff will be a huge advantage for the program. We may be entering another phase where ND becomes an annual national title contender and for how much those guys in the south hate Ohio State they really hate ND.

1. Georgia
  2. Alabama
  3. Oregon
  4. Ohio State
  5. Cincinnati
  6. Michigan
  7. Michigan State
  8. Notre Dame
  9. Oklahoma State
  10. Wake Forest
  11. Baylor
  12. Ole Miss
  13. Oklahoma
  14. BYU
  15. Wisconsin
  16. Texas A&M
  17. Iowa
  18. Pittsburgh
  19. San Diego State
  20. NC State
  21. Arkansas
  22. UTSA
  23. Utah
  24. Houston
  25. Mississippi State

Why are Arkansas and Mississippi State ranked and Purdue and Penn State are not? Could it be to prop up Bama?

Why are Arkansas and Mississippi State ranked and Purdue and Penn State are not? Could it be to prop up Bama?
Some might say SEC bias. That clown Barta keeps touting strength of schedule and of course the SOS would be high with the top 2 teams ranked in your conference, albeit that #2 doesn't really seem all that deserving of their current spot.

The Committee also seems to be pretty hung up on margin of victory. Purdue gets blasted by Ohio St and is no longer ranked. Arkansas has lost a couple close games in the SEC, after getting blown out by Georgia earlier in the year, but they needed OT to beat LSU.

Because Sam Pittman is a national treasure and a feel good story.

Arkansas doesn’t have as bad a loss as Penn State’s Illinois loss. While Penn State does have wins over Wisky and Auburn, Penn State also has lost 3 of their last 4. Although Arkansas did get wrecked by Georgia and their only noteworthy wins are over A&M and MS State. Realistically, A&M, Purdue, Arkansas, Ms State and penn State are all probably pretty even teams. In the end though I think it’s simply PSU has lost 3 of out 4 though. So rightfully they aren’t ranked.

This quote from Barta proves how worthless and laughable this whole process is:

"Set aside watching the games, though that’s certainly a part of it. But statistically in just about every category, offensively and defensively, Michigan comes out on top over Michigan State."

He literally said this out loud on National television. :ROFLMAO:

Ive said it since they announced the playoff: they should have kept the BCS system in place. The problem with the BCS era was not the BCS system, it was the lack of a playoff. The BCS formula and a playoff could have and should have co-existed. It’s time to admit the mistake and reintroduce it. IMO, before further expansion this should be the priority. The committee is a joke.

This quote from Barta proves how worthless and laughable this whole process is:

"Set aside watching the games, though that’s certainly a part of it. But statistically in just about every category, offensively and defensively, Michigan comes out on top over Michigan State."

He literally said this out loud on National television. :ROFLMAO:
OMG ? just go back to computers

Expansion with automatic bids for Conference champs, and then a few at large teams. I could give a rip if they want to quibble over teams in the 8-12 range to fill out the bracket.
Except that those teams in the 8-12 range will be making some serious coin over teams in the 13-17 range which in some cases can be a huge boost to an Athletic Department. Think there is politicking going on now, wait until expansion comes into focus and the debate moves to the 3rd or 4th place SEC team against a strong Group of 6 team.

Expansion with automatic bids for Conference champs, and then a few at large teams. I could give a rip if they want to quibble over teams in the 8-12 range to fill out the bracket.
This should’ve been so easy from the get go, five conference champions and three at large

Except that those teams in the 8-12 range will be making some serious coin over teams in the 13-17 range which in some cases can be a huge boost to an Athletic Department. Think there is politicking going on now, wait until expansion comes into focus and the debate moves to the 3rd or 4th place SEC team against a strong Group of 6 team.
I don't disagree, but you have to make the cut somewhere, right? Look at the NCAAMBB Tourney. We still hear about the 'last four out', and then the 'next four out'. Where does it end?

I don't disagree, but you have to make the cut somewhere, right? Look at the NCAAMBB Tourney. We still hear about the 'last four out', and then the 'next four out'. Where does it end?
Just like March madness though, nobody cares after selection Sunday. The vast majority of football fans would laugh at teams arguing they should’ve been the twelfth seed

Just like March madness though, nobody cares after selection Sunday. The vast majority of football fans would laugh at teams arguing they should’ve been the twelfth seed
Just for perspective, Coastal Carolina finished 12th in the CFP's final ranking last year. Nice story for them, and I while I like to see the underdog cause some problems in any given tourney, they likely would have been slaughtered by some teams that finished behind them. I could live with an 8-team playoff too.

Just for perspective, Coastal Carolina finished 12th in the CFP's final ranking last year. Nice story for them, and I while I like to see the underdog cause some problems in any given tourney, they likely would have been slaughtered by some teams that finished behind them. I could live with an 8-team playoff too.
Eight is the right number but it doesn't work for the SEC or Notre Dame so it is a no go. I think that New Year's Day would be fantastic with four games starting on the east coast at 12:00 PM and finishing up on the west coast after 12:00 AM. But its only a dream, instead we will get campus games that feature good but not great teams sorting themselves out to see who probably gets creamed by the elite.

I dont know if I mentioned it on here, but in Columbus they are saying that a lot of stadiums, like the Shoe, are not winterized and having home games in late december for a first round game would not work if the weather was very cold for a someone extended time.

That is an ESPN-made "problem" to get some ratings that I dont believe anyone cares about.

I dont know if I mentioned it on here, but in Columbus they are saying that a lot of stadiums, like the Shoe, are not winterized and having home games in late december for a first round game would not work if the weather was very cold for a someone extended time.
Which is a total joke. Gene Smith did intimate this. They were talking about the possibility of hosting a 'Winter Classic' type hockey game for the Jackets at the Shoe, if I remember correctly. If they can host games in late November in the cold, it's not a stretch to do the same in December.

Ryan Day is going to slowly but surely take that program downhill from the heights Urban had it at, so I don’t think OSU is going to need to worry about hosting December playoff games anytime soon.

Notre Dame, however, would definitely need to get prepared.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Which is a total joke. Gene Smith did intimate this. They were talking about the possibility of hosting a 'Winter Classic' type hockey game for the Jackets at the Shoe, if I remember correctly. If they can host games in late November in the cold, it's not a stretch to do the same in December.
Sorta.

If they indeed have 'issues', late December can be substantially different than late Nov/early December.

That is an ESPN-made "problem" to get some ratings that I dont believe anyone cares about.
Of course it is. But you won't hear the media/podcasters complaining about it either. Well, they still do - even though it's to their benefit. They have endless content to debate and analyze throughout the stretch of the season.

Sorta.

If they indeed have 'issues', late December can be substantially different than late Nov/early December.
Eh. If one doesn't think tOSU has cash on-hand to winterize, if this is truly an issue, they're fooling themselves. Of course they did bungle Wi-Fi access, online ticketing, gate management, and a host of other issues, so I wouldn't put it past them to screw this up as well.