Central Catholic League thoughts for 2022?

Thanks for the tip. I've never been to a game there. Happy they have turf.
If you’re going 70, I posted instructions on the game thread.

If you’re going 33, take Coonpath to 37 and follow 37 east in.

If you’re going 256, take it into Baltimore and turn right on Holder Road (you’ll want to pass the library on 256 and go through the detour signs.) Holder to 37, right (south) on 37, left on Leitnaker Rd (you’ll be on 37 for roughly .2 of a mile) — drive slow on Leitnaker and come to the stop at Old Millersport Road. Left (north) on Old Millersport Road, take OMR to 256 and turn right (east) on 256. Take 256 to 13, right (south) on 13.

Not a Watty fan but happy for them. I didn’t believe in them till they proved it on the field and they did. It wasn’t long ago that people on these threads said Watterson was finished because they didn’t get the athletes they used to and didn’t get an influx of athletes the Hartley way.
Speaking of the “home grown” Hartley team there was a recent post on Twitter of all of their freshmen from their only diocese feeder program…St Pius. There were 4 or 5. So if Hartley is home grown their freshman team is full of players that are trying to play football for the first time ever. I hope they like their first experience playing football.
Reports of Watty demise are greatly exaggerated as Freshman and JV won CCL last 2 year (Hartley lost all 4 of those games).....

Reports of Watty demise are greatly exaggerated as Freshman and JV won CCL last 2 year (Hartley lost all 4 of those games).....
1666487165037.png

Hartley freshmen had never played before this season apparently according to local scouts. Nice diverse group. One coach has a beard; the other doesn't. If Zach's wife didn't just have a baby, they could have had two beards. Kudos to Coach Kennedy for bringing the Eagles back from the brink. Increasing the level of competition is a great boost for the league. Proverbs 27:17.

Diocesan recreation lists:
St. Brigid
St. Andrew
Northern Bishops
St. Pius
St. Agatha
St. Brendan
Western Irish

I have no idea when the Eastern Irish and St Matthew dissolved.

Columbus Catholics continue to migrate north.

Diocesan recreation lists:
St. Brigid
St. Andrew
Northern Bishops
St. Pius
St. Agatha
St. Brendan
Western Irish

I have no idea when the Eastern Irish and St Matthew dissolved.

Columbus Catholics continue to migrate north.
I presume, with Agatha standing by themselves (they have a football team of their own these days?) that Northern Bishops is either IC-OLP and Michael… or James + Anthony and Mathias?

…or is it Paul and pals?

I presume, with Agatha standing by themselves (they have a football team of their own these days?) that Northern Bishops is either IC-OLP and Michael… or James + Anthony and Mathias?

…or is it Paul and pals?
My assumption from the under-representation of Desales feeders is that the Northern Bishops is St Pauls and others.

My assumption from the under-representation of Desales feeders is that the Northern Bishops is St Pauls and others.
Seems like a good assumption. Sad that they’re consolidated into one grouping, but a necessary evil.

I remember playing Paul(‘s) as a kid at DeSales and A&M at one of the two schools (it wasn’t at SFD.) Good times! Used to be Western Knights instead of Irish.

…or is it Paul and pals?

I would be shocked if that were true of Agatha.

Right? NW Saints (Watty colors) was Agatha and a couple other schools (think it was Andrew, Timothy and Trinity) & they played at Agatha.

My boys have been out of St. Andrew for a couple years (didn't play football) but when they were there, it was IC and Andrew for football (and maybe 1 other). 1 year I believe it was Andrew and Brigid. I know Agatha's enrollment is a lot smaller than Andrew's.

My boys have been out of St. Andrew for a couple years (didn't play football) but when they were there, it was IC and Andrew for football (and maybe 1 other). 1 year I believe it was Andrew and Brigid. I know Agatha's enrollment is a lot smaller than Andrew's.
I’m far from a company man on the Diocese, but do I hold the rec league dear in my heart. It’s a great institution that promotes admirable values with an even more respectable product in formation and fundamentals on the fields, courts and diamonds. I hope a day comes where the participation gets back on the upswing — it provides so many opportunities for so many kids.

I’m far from a company man on the Diocese, but do I hold the rec league dear in my heart. It’s a great institution that promotes admirable values with an even more respectable product in formation and fundamentals on the fields, courts and diamonds. I hope a day comes where the participation gets back on the upswing — it provides so many opportunities for so many kids.
Participation for football is in the upswing. St Matthew has a team again this year after a few years off. Northern Bishops are St Paul, St Mike’s, and St Matthias.

Last edited:
Hartley freshmen beat Watterson once. They played twice. Pretty solid for a team of home grown boys that I assume are trying football for the first time based on lack of participation in the diocese league last season since they aren’t in the Pius posting. Watty held on to beat DeSales by stopping a 2 pt conversion the last play of the game. Hartley had some really good freshmen play varsity. It’s set up to be a dogfight for years to come

Pretty solid for a team of home grown boys that I assume are trying football for the first time based on lack of participation in the diocese league last season since they aren’t in the Pius posting.
The St Pius posting was "St Pius grads." Given that it's the only team on the east side, they surely have kids from Holy Spirit, All Saints, St Catherine, and St Mary on the team as well. I know that St Pius girls played field hockey and lacrosse for St Catherine because it was the only school with a team. Undoubtedly some of the freshmen had used up their four quarters playing JV or Varsity.

The future will be the new HS on 36/37 whenever that gets built. It will pull from Westerville, Olentangy, Centerburg, Delaware , and other areas in the Northend and beyond.

The future will be the new HS on 36/37 whenever that gets built. It will pull from Westerville, Olentangy, Centerburg, Delaware , and other areas in the Northend and beyond.
And we’ll see them in the CCL sooner rather than later.

It will have to be named DeSales because the facility on Karl Rd will be doomed to lose a lot of enrollment when that happens. I suspect that will prove to be an expensive way to save the DeSales tradition for another couple decades or so. Makes sense though. Better than just surrendering to the demographic reality of an American Catholic church in collapse. My guess is Karl Rd will become the new home of Cristo Rey. Who knows what will come of Hartley. Maybe our near-billionaire will gift a new campus out east somewhere. Sadly, it and Ready are likely doomed without relocation. Watterson is safe where it's at.

It will have to be named DeSales because the facility on Karl Rd will be doomed to lose a lot of enrollment when that happens. I suspect that will prove to be an expensive way to save the DeSales tradition for another couple decades or so. Makes sense though. Better than just surrendering to the demographic reality of an American Catholic church in collapse. My guess is Karl Rd will become the new home of Cristo Rey. Who knows what will come of Hartley. Maybe our near-billionaire will gift a new campus out east somewhere. Sadly, it and Ready are likely doomed without relocation. Watterson is safe where it's at.
If Hartley’s question is somehow in question (doubtful, but you brought it up) it’s clear what will happen.

RPRF doesn't really reflect either the post-Covid numerical attendance reality or the looming post-boomer cliff. Younger American Catholics are adopting None as their preferred religion of choice. RPRF makes sense as a do-something-now thing, but it will probably require a deeper paring in 5-10 years. The final report is overly sentimental and is being done as a temporary bandaid so as to not drive away those who don't want to commute 30 minutes to church and combine two outwardly different parishes. The Bishop would be wise to revise it. The remnant Church is aging fast and can't sustain six high schools. I don't like it; but it is what it is.

RPRF doesn't really reflect either the post-Covid numerical attendance reality or the looming post-boomer cliff. Younger American Catholics are adopting None as their preferred religion of choice. RPRF makes sense as a do-something-now thing, but it will probably require a deeper paring in 5-10 years. The final report is overly sentimental and is being done as a temporary bandaid so as to not drive away those who don't want to commute 30 minutes to church and combine two outwardly different parishes. The Bishop would be wise to revise it.
I understand the points you're making when it comes to who is in the pews and the general losses of the faithful generation-over-generation, but the opportunity to Catechize more kids is there and I simply don't see where anyone reading the final RPRF recommendations walks away thinking "this is it for my school." Separating the discussion of Diocesan matters just for a second: EdChoice expansion / Backpack Bill -- one-or-both will eventually come. We're inching closer to it happening at the statehouse than we are seeing it go the other direction.

Plugging the DoC back into this, you don't think for a second they're putting their chips in on it happening? Building a new high school from scratch and serious consideration toward bringing back a closed high school (Bishop Flaget of Chilicothe.)

sapientia et veritas said:
The remnant Church is aging fast and can't sustain six high schools. I don't like it; but it is what it is.
Not clear to me. Care to enlighten?
Perhaps Sap is right on not being able to sustain six Franklin County high schools (although I don't entirely see where he's going with Cristo Rey when it comes to their operations and how they fit into this picture. I understand the growth opportunity they have and their demographics, but drawing a straight line toward their growth and the future of either BH or SFD... it's hard to say.)

Taking a stab at the second part of that parenthetical: ....would it not make more sense for Cristo Rey to replace Hartley on Zettler Road? The two schools flip-flop locations?

I don't really see the 'upside' for any party with Hartley "moving further out east." For one, the real estate doesn't make any sense. A new campus Reynoldsburg or Pickerington? No room and it cuts the student population in half instantly. Canal or Groveport could make sense if the warehouse industry wouldn't price out a relocation. Although that would still be a weird divorce from the east side. Making a second new building out of thin air just seems like an unnecessary high risk-low reward venture for the Diocese to have on the books. The only thing that would make sense is the school goes to the property at St. Matthew or St. Pius.

I don't think Hartley's done for on Zettler Road, and wouldn't want to see it happen, but if they're done for on Zettler then they're probably done for good.

@ogealbhain really what I see as possibly happening, simply playing ball with the _hypothetical_ "Hartley stops standing at Zettler Road" is either...

1) Cristo Rey Campus (in the Discovery District) becomes a new neighborhood Catholic high school (co-ed or girls only) for parishes such as St. Catherine (Eastmoor/Bexley) and the campus at Hartley becomes the new home of the Cristo Rey system. From there, the eastern suburban Catholics diffuse out to either FC or NC (or go public, or go St. Charles for the boys and possibly a hypothetical girls-only school downtown that I'm alluding to as a distant possibility down the line.)

2) The Diocese just closes the building on Zettler and they realign the HS attendance maps with the continuation of Bishop Hartley being a 7-12 school at the campus of either St. Matthew or St. Pius.

3) Echoing Sap in thinking that the Diocese would just reappropriate DeSales to the new school up by Sunbury (continuing the tradition, likeness and operations), Karl Road building becomes new campus of Cristo Rey. In the process, Hartley fully assumes the territory of Gahanna.

Not clear to me. Care to enlighten?
frankly I just don't see the idea of "Hartley breaks ground at a brand new facility somewhere else" of ever actually happening and I don't care how much money would be in the coffers toward the effort to make it happen. I explained, in more detail, in the reply above but it would just be absolute financial hell for the Diocese.

frankly I just don't see the idea of "Hartley breaks ground at a brand new facility somewhere else" of ever actually happening and I don't care how much money would be in the coffers toward the effort to make it happen. I explained, in more detail, in the reply above but it would just be absolute financial hell for the Diocese.

Thanks for the clarification. I am not much "in the know" on Diocesan things. I once did sit on the Diocesan School Board but that was years ago.