Bowdoin College (D-III) cancels season

Very concerning.

There are two narratives going on right now: The death rate is declining rapidly (good news) AND the number of confirmed cases is rising slowly (bad news).

It appears that Covid-19 is not as deadly as many had believed. Starting to trend towards Flu level death rate. But every new case in a sports team creates fear. I suspect that we will end up cancelling alot of sports and looking back to realize it was not necessary.

I wouldn't read too much into Bowdoin cancelling their season, simply because that school could probably make do just fine without a football program.

Bowdoin has won one game since 2016...I think they used this as a convenient opportunty to ax the program. They are little on the light side with 70 players on the roster. Don't know anything about the school, but interesting they have players from all over the country, Florida, Minnesota, California, they must specialize in something. Also a hefty price tag. According to their site, annually tuition/ room/ board/ etc... $73,000 !!!

Not saying all the football players would transfer, but if you lose out on 70 players paying tuition, that's 5.1 mill per year.

I foresee more non profit able small programs doinf the same under the guise of the Rona

The Ohio Athletic Conference, members being Mt. Union, Ohio Northern, Capital and others have announced a conference only schedule for football/ volleyball and soccer this fall. Not so big of a deal in football as there is only one non-conference game. But for soccer/ volleyball, unless they make it double round robin, their schedules will be reduced by 75% or more.

They are ranked #6 in National Liberal Arts colleges per US News & World Report, football is not even on their radar.

The OAC and NCAC have both suspended athletic competition for the rest of the calendar year.

This means no football this fall at Mt. Union, John Carroll, Wittenberg, Wabash, etc. I'm guessing we see very few if any DIII schools have fall sports.

The HCAC moves Football, Soccer (Both men's and women's), and volleyball to the spring.

It seems as though the OAC could absorb missing a fall season and carry on. The HCAC schools, otoh, are for the most part appreciably smaller in enrollment and will be in deep trouble if they lose their football recruits which make up a pretty representative portion of male enrollment. The move by the HCAC is an attempt to give the 2020-2021 recruiting class a reason to stick around. If I understand correctly there are schools that were on shaky ground even before the pandemic, Defiance College had around 500 total students if I'm not mistaken. It would seem as though the HCAC schools generally do not have endowments anywhere as large as several OAC schools so the financial crunch is very real.