Blow this thing up

No, its to reiterate to you that I'm not talking about scholarships for kids in need and for you to get off your high horse and come back to reality.

And dude its not just that they are losing its that they are embarrassing the school by their play and how the program is being run. I think a lot of other alums will agree with that statement.

And Moeller is not your typical high school. People don't pay the cost of a college education for their child for an average experience. Standards at Moeller are not the same as the average place. Moeller did not build it reputation and have kids being sent in all over the tri state because of its ok athletics. If you want to be average, Moeller is not for you.

Thats like paying for a BMW or benz and getting a Chevy Cruze. Most importantly 8th grade parents are seeing this and say "why would I pay all this money for something average."

I hate to break it to you but Moeller, like other schools is a business. Enrollment and gifts are their foundation. So if you want something to change, use your leverage as alums.

But I refuse to support mediocrity at a great place. You can go and pat them on the back when they go 0-10.

Nice paragraphs

No secret on yappi- not a dude, just a mom of kids who are not mediocre because we have always expected them to excel and given them the tools to do so. One of those tools has been a Moeller education for a couple of our sons. We didn't come to Moeller for football, our boys played 3 other sports actually until one decided to try football and had a great experience. No high horse here, just boggled at the level some of you people think this needs to stoop to- Enjoy throwing your $ around to get your way!

Nice paragraphs

I'll try to keep them to a nice 3 to four sentences so you won't get too upset. Any one who accepts a leadership position at a high school or college knows keeping alums happy is vital. Its part of the job. And really, you don't think people want the job? Because alums are "blackmailing" the school? Its called a donation, or gift. Not sure how stoping a gift is "blackmailing."

And, how much $ does the athletic department really need for football? Didn't they charge like $500 a kid in fees this year? They used to have a festival to raise $ and that got dumped.

But on a serious note, Kballer. I appreciate you sending a couple of your boys to Moeller. I was speaking of the football program, not the rest of the school. I intended no disrespect to your boys or Moeller moms.

Last edited:
I'll try to keep them to a nice 3 to four sentences so you won't get too upset. Any one who accepts a leadership position at a high school or college knows keeping alums happy is vital. Its part of the job. And really, you don't think people want the job? Because alums are "blackmailing" the school? Its called a donation, or gift. Not sure how stoping a gift is "blackmailing."

And, how much $ does the athletic department really need for football? Didn't they charge like $500 a kid in fees this year? They used to have a festival to raise $ and that got dumped.

But on a serious note, Kballer. I appreciate you sending a couple of your boys to Moeller. I was speaking of the football program, not the rest of the school. I intended no disrespect to your boys or Moeller moms.

No need for kid gloves just because you now know I am a mom- I can handle myself around you boys just fine- I keep a few of them in line at home on the daily.

Yup- St. X has won GCL South outright 12 times; Elder- 5; Moeller-4; Lasalle- 1; and there were shared titles 5 Times (Moe had a cut in 3 of those) since the '90 season when they split the league into regions. So for 33 out of 37 seasons they weren't the top dog in the GCL South.

Those of us who find this unacceptable need to get our priorities straight, right? Your idea that its ok for them to be losers as long as they're nice people doesn't cut it at Moeller.

I don't know what coaching changes need to be made, but with the horrible blasting of the coaches and program that alums have made on social media (including Moeller's own pages) and the threats to now withhold $ (blackmail)- who the hell would want to take the job?!? Losing a few games isn't permanently ruining the program- the adults in the stands and watching from afar might, though.

Winners. Winners want to be in a winning environment where losing is unacceptable. Anybody who cowers from that environment doesn't belong at Moeller in the first place. Your acceptance of losing doesn't make us wrong.

We expect excellence in everything Moeller students do. We demand they have the best leadership possible. Theres one quick and easy way to force those results. So stop being obnoxious and questioning peoples priorities and telling us we're wrong when you clearly don't understand how this works.
Theres nothing wrong with fostering a winning environment. Its what makes Moeller great.

Those of us who find this unacceptable need to get our priorities straight, right? Your idea that its ok for them to be losers as long as they're nice people doesn't cut it at Moeller.

Winners. Winners want to be in a winning environment where losing is unacceptable. Anybody who cowers from that environment doesn't belong at Moeller in the first place. Your acceptance of losing doesn't make us wrong.

We expect excellence in everything Moeller students do. We demand they have the best leadership possible. Theres one quick and easy way to force those results. So stop being obnoxious and questioning peoples priorities and telling us we're wrong when you clearly don't understand how this works.
Theres nothing wrong with fostering a winning environment. Its what makes Moeller great.

I never said a word about accepting losing- I actually agree that changes need to happen. What I think is petty and short sighted is thinking that by withholding much needed donations you can bully the powers that be into doing your will. Winners don't take their ball and go home. With the current environment of parents/alums attacking the team/coaches with so little class, it would definitely be a deterent for some of the better coaches.

Last edited:

Then tell us your solution ??????
:banana:

Clearly Saint Columban (explains so much) was not... now stooping to name calling, charming

who's name calling? I said your attacks were obnoxious and pointed out you don't understand Moellers winning culture, or how alumni can actually get things done. in fact you gave zero solutions only attacks

btw nice jab at an entire gradeschool of actual children (what were you saying about classless?) especially after your "do it for the kids" grandstanding for a varsity team of young men.

Might want to reread what you wrote... nice try but obviously nothing was aimed at any children unless you know of third graders on yappi? It was a jab- a well earned one for an aggressive blowhard and I could give a crap what you think of it or me. I know plenty about winning culture at Moeller and elsewhere- 4 in my house have/are playing college sports, 2 D 1 level, 2 on a full rides, 3 hs state championship rings- so you can be nice and win, well maybe not YOU, but mine did. Enjoy plotting the new Empire, I am out of here

what name did I call you then? :shrug:

you're the one who got personal, which I said was obnoxious. we disagreed about alumni donations and you got ugly.

you seem very proud of your kids achievements. im glad they had winning coaches.

attacking an entire gradeschool was ridiculous. you can pretend you didn't just like you can pretend I called you names.

no guarantees in life, but he's always been a moeller guy through and through. not sure if he even applied for the job when rodenberg was hired. at that point he'd only had a few years coaching experience, all as an assistant, so I don't know that he could have felt snubbed even if he did. he remained on the staff for years after so I don't expect any hard feelings issues whatsoever.

I don't know him personally, more an acquaintance, but I know many who do know him very well and what I've heard for years was it was just a matter of time. its really too bad we didn't pull the trigger last year because he's in a great place now. lasalles a great program right now whereas we're in need of a rebuild. but he had a fast turn around at Princeton and having been at lasalle only a year I cant imagine he's in too deep to leave. we're likely the only school he'd leave for.

I believe him and hyzdu were the same class at moe, so it should be a very easy discussion.

that was a long winded "probably" answer for you lol but i'd be very surprised if he said no. I'll be asking a lot of people who know him well but i'd imagine he'd be smart enough not to talk openly about a business move. I doubt Moe would approach him even through unofficial contacts while lasalle is still in the playoffs.

I do know meetings begin at the school tomorrow to setup a hiring committee

McLaughlin WILL b the next coach at Moe! (no ifs ands or buts about it) jus won't be announced until Lasalle's season is over. Yes he has a good position at Lasalle, but Moeller is home and the only one job he told LaSalle he would leave for when he took the job. He's a stand up guy and will get Moeller back on track.

Lasalle is the real losers here because even with all their success that team will be on their 4th coach. Would LaSalle gamble on Rody and bring him home to his alma mater?

This thread is a trainwreck....you guys have bigger issues than a Head Coach......gonna have to reign in out of control parents before you do anything.

The current situation was bad for everyone - the kids, the coaches, fans, alumni, everyone. I don't know what the answer is as I am not close to the program and haven't lived in Cinci since 2001. But what I and most everyone else can see is that the results of the last 3-4 years speaks for itself. We hit our lowest point in the ~55year history as a school and program seems to be on a downward spiral.

Earlier I asked on this thread what you folks think should be a realistic standard for the program.
Minimum - We should be competitive with our peers (GCL, Iggy, Eds, Lou Trinity) and hold a .500 record. We should make the playoffs every year, with almost no exception. We should get a #4 seed home advantage almost every year (at least 4 of 5) and win the first round almost every one of those years (four out of those). We should be competing for the regional title at least half the time. With the talent we have coming in I think this is attainable, at the very minimum.

With the current state of HS football across the country, the demands placed on players for year-round conditioning and recruiting, the demands placed on coaches by administrations, crazy enabling helicopter parents, college recruiters, etc, the employment practices that are happening in the pros and college levels are transferring to the HS level. (see Middletown coach resigning)

So given the state of the program and the W's and L, some change was needed. I don't know how much of that was Roddy, but I do know that assistant coaching situation has become a revolving door lately.

Anyway, I give Rody some kudos for resigning with class and do wish him the best for wherever he coaches in the future. I would bet that he'll enjoy the same success he did at McNicholas and Covington Catholic.

Last edited:
Hooray!!

Glad this chapter is finally over. I agree, was a classy move by John to step down.

As much as I ripped on him, good bad or indifferent, he helped moved the program into being modern and of course 2 state championships. So thank you John.

And Chill everyone. I knew/know a lot of solid dudes from St.Columban. And Kballer as a Moeller mom you should know your not the only one in our community who has very good athletes in your home.

BINGO! It's so obvious even St. X people see it.

not really. its an internet message board where literally everyone agreed a change needed to be made. just because a few people online didn't agree whether or not alumni should be willing to force the change doesn't mean much in the big picture. especially now that the debate is moot.

unless im missing something? what changes do you believe need to be made to fix parents? not even sure what that means.

I still believe more changes need to be made personnel wise and I believe the assistant coaching will change. everything I hear the AD needs to go too but that may or may not happen. but the comment was about parents, so what needs to be fixed and how do you fix it?

not really. its an internet message board where literally everyone agreed a change needed to be made. just because a few people online didn't agree whether or not alumni should be willing to force the change doesn't mean much in the big picture. especially now that the debate is moot.

unless im missing something? what changes do you believe need to be made to fix parents? not even sure what that means.

I still believe more changes need to be made personnel wise and I believe the assistant coaching will change. everything I hear the AD needs to go too but that may or may not happen. but the comment was about parents, so what needs to be fixed and how do you fix it?

The parents the past few years have been brutal. Just go to the games and listen to the way they yell and scream at the coaching staff. "F-this" and "F-that". Two years ago they threw the QB's parents out of the stadium for screaming F-bombs when they pulled him from the game. Parents are only concerned with their kid not the team. If a player isn't starting they are complaining to every other parent or going to the President or AD complaining about Rody or the Coaches. Players need to accept their role on the team for the betterment of the team. If you get beat out then beat out the guy in front of you the next week and take back your starting spot. Don't have mommy and daddy going to the President or AD. Parents need to sit back and watch and have their kidscompete. Until parents see that this is about the team then nothing at Moeller is going to change.

The parents the past few years have been brutal. Just go to the games and listen to the way they yell and scream at the coaching staff. "F-this" and "F-that". Two years ago they threw the QB's parents out of the stadium for screaming F-bombs when they pulled him from the game. Parents are only concerned with their kid not the team. If a player isn't starting they are complaining to every other parent or going to the President or AD complaining about Rody or the Coaches. Players need to accept their role on the team for the betterment of the team. If you get beat out then beat out the guy in front of you the next week and take back your starting spot. Don't have mommy and daddy going to the President or AD. Parents need to sit back and watch and have their kidscompete. Until parents see that this is about the team then nothing at Moeller is going to change.

This is happening at most all schools. Hell, St X let's all kids on the team, no cuts. But some of the parents still complain to Spect and the AD that little Johnny doesn't get in the game. Some of them don't even get in at practice. They say they give money and pay tuition, therefore little Johnny or Biff should get to play.

When you are losing, it always is louder, and more obnoxious. Parents complained to Faust years ago, and he told parents if they don't like it, take their kid and leave, and a fair number of them did just that.