Bishop Sycamore Head Coach Roy Johnson Accuses Suburban Schools of Recruiting

I know this has blown up, and they've gotten more notoriety than even they could've possibly hoped (some delicious irony in that), and many articles have popped up the last 24 hours. But, this Athletic piece that dropped a couple hours ago is the most detailed piece I've seen, and works back quite a ways to many a shady character. I know it's a pay site, but if you can access it, I recommend it.

Alright more diffing tonight courtesy of the guys on the college football subreddit: reddit post here

Apparently, the BS guys say that they do have players playing on the collegiate level, and say that "RPA College" is the school they play for. Touring the website for RPA, you are able "select" your degree and automatically pay ~$850 for study materials for exams. You can purchase the same materials for probably $30 at Barnes and Noble or Amazon. Take a tour of the RPA college website, but just make sure your credit card number doesn't stumble onto the page anywhere.
The password is "RIPOFF".

We shall see. The decision to expand the playoffs to 16 teams came this past spring. Most teams' 2021 schedules were completed long before then.
Why? The expanded playoffs are less of a reason to play those schools with size and recruiting advantages. If I were a public superintendent, my schools would NEVER schedule a private school and help them! Let them ride the buses to whereve!

Fyre Fest meets Accepted.

Some aspiring writer:
e74.png

I listened to most but not all of it. Ohio varsity is exactly right. Everyone who spoke for BS spoke in circles. God and church was brought up a lot. Doung the right thing from here on out was brought up a lot. It was all double speak. Their general idea is a good one. Helping those that may not have opportunities get ahead in lifevis fantastic. They have not and most likely will not go about it the right way. I don't think anyone associated with it knows how.
I love when shysters like this invoke religion to try and cover up their low morals and character. Bums is what they are, the whole lot of em and its a shame.

Also, how many Danny Almonte's did they actually have on the team. I mean I find it hilarious that they had guys who were possible 20+ years old getting worked by high school kids.

Order now:

Here's an oldie but goodie. Jay Richardson and Andre Peterson on FOX28 in 2019 proudly telling about how they played a game last night in Pennsylvania and were leaving by bus at midnight to play a game in Maryland the next afternoon.

https://myfox28columbus.com/sports/...eek-6-of-the-2019-high-school-football-season

This was after playing back to back games the previous week. No one can now say they didn't know anything. The media and athletic directors made conscious decisions to look the other way.

Jersey Joe is now using the hastag lastchancehigh on twitter. Whats the odds on trying to parlay this mess into a show for netflix or something?

I've never met a person by that name associated with Bishop Sycamore.

Riddle me this, Sherlock: If the team is a "scam," how and why are highly-ranked, blue-blood HSFB programs like Hoban, IMG, Duncanville TX, St Edward, DeMatha MD, Liberty NV, St Frances MD, etc. scheduling them?

Additionally, why would ESPN showcase a "scam" team on national television??
lol

This whole Bishop Sycamore thing is messed up lol. I wonder how old their oldest player is. And how in tf are they scheduling these big time games with 0 credibility/history of who they are

This whole Bishop Sycamore thing is messed up lol. I wonder how old their oldest player is. And how in tf are they scheduling these big time games with 0 credibility/history of who they are
They are able to schedule them because Prep Gridiron Logistics, aka jersey flyer on here, does it for them and pimps them out. Why? Honestly have no idea and something I hope gets discovered in this mess

I have a lot of questions, but I guess the most intriguing question to me is -What was the Head Coaches or the people that BS end game? What were they trying to accomplish?

I have a lot of questions, but I guess the most intriguing question to me is -What was the Head Coaches or the people that BS end game? What were they trying to accomplish?
Absolute best case, most forgiving answer- they truly wanted to do this the right way, and tried to take shortcuts to do it, then got in so deep they didn’t know how to get out.

likely answer- no end game, it was just a way to make money.

Good question. This started as a get-rich-quick scheme. Roy Johnson had no background in education, no background in high school athletics, he was a life insurance salesman. Johnson's plan was to get the AME Church to fund his school through a charity-owned life insurance (or CHOLI) scheme, basically a dead pool on pastors and elderly church members that would net him a bundle in commissions. That was the crux of the whole scheme. Imagine 1,000 policies for $250,000 each, totaling $250 million. Imagine the commissions! For a life insurance salesman it's a dream come true. Johnson himself explained it in this video:

Of course the church wanted no part of it as these schemes can go sideways, for instance, if the elderly church members inconveniently continue living. The plan should have gone down the toilet for good when Johnson's insurance license was revoked by the Ohio Department of Insurance in June 2018. There was still plenty of time to call off this ill-conceived plan while the students still had a chance to go back to their original schools or a community college. The problem was he had already borrowed $100,000 in the church's name using a forged document claiming Jay Richardson was the President of the Third Episcopal District and that Johnson was the Secretary. I suppose there was no going back at that point.

What's the endgame now? Who knows. Maybe he's just hoping for a miracle and someone will bail him out. Financially, of course.

Last edited:
Last year Matt Goul went viral with that video of a man two years removed from high school trying to knock the head off a St. Ignatius student (twice) and never said a frickin' thing! Now he wants credit for his cautionary tale? This is how this sham was allowed to continue all this time. He and all the athletic directors that looked the other way are at fault and should be fired.
This speaks to the general state of print high school sports journalism. This would have been a great investigative story back when COF Academy launched, but nobody bothered in favor of being glorified score aggregators and trying to cover every sport possible. Not bashing any journalist in particular, I get they’re not in total control of what they write and obviously resources are limited. I’m sure the economics of long form high school sports journalism don’t make sense, but it’s sad to see where we are.

Big shoutout to @Redhawk85 , @hammer89 (might be missing a poster from the COF era) for the intrepid and dedicated following of this saga that was reported on here for years. Their explanation of the facts and details contemporaneous with the last few summers and seasons proved to be immensely worthwhile.

It’s a bit surreal to think the story was discussed on here for as long as it was, bit-by-bit, and that Yappi.com was the springboard of clues & leads for one of the most damming stories this year in sports.