Bishop Hartley vs Ursuline (Youngstown) Thursday, August 19, 2021

Wo do you thing will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I married into a huge Hartley family with many playing football over a couple of generations and I have watched the program and league for almost 40 years.

First, Hartley and DeSales are about 1/3 voucher students, many are in the football programs. Is it recruiting? Not necessarily but it is an advantage, these are kids who might not have had the opportunity to attend othwerwise.

Just like large suburban schools who have a ton of apartments where players can change residency and become immediately eligible or statewide open enrollment, it is an advantage.

Scholarships. We have had several nephews play for Hartley who looked into other CCL schools but the difference was receiving a scholarship to go to Hartley and that tipped the scales in their favor. Is that recruiting? Not necessarily but it is a big advantage.

You will hear that the scholarships aren't that much money but unless my in-laws, my nephews, their friends and the friends parents, who speak openly at get togethers about it, are lying to me, the scholarship vary and can be substantial.

I won't mention names or positions but for at least 15 years a key position on the football team had a scholarship player in it and they were all excellent at their position.

Recruiting? Not necessarily, but there are advantages to statewide open enrollment, vouchers, and scholarships. I'm not saying it is good or bad, I'm just saying it is occurring/does occur and it is an advantage.

Scholarships. We have had several nephews play for Hartley who looked into other CCL schools but the difference was receiving a scholarship to go to Hartley and that tipped the scales in their favor. Is that recruiting? Not necessarily but it is a big advantage.

You will hear that the scholarships aren't that much money but unless my in-laws, my nephews, their friends and the friends parents, who speak openly at get togethers about it, are lying to me, the scholarship vary and can be substantial.
I have a cousin who attended BH on scholarship (didn’t play a major sport, just soccer) but his was one that is specifically written for students of his parish (SMGV) to attend BH and they’re awarded selectively based on teacher & priest recommendations. I presume BH doesn’t have the pot of money to just write loads of partial/full scholarships. Might have financial aid (not technically a scholarship) which I assume is used by plenty.

MVR never fails.
F10948C7-E49D-4B4B-B5FB-BAC4CF700263.jpeg

I’m pretty sure Hartley got stiffed on their second PAT. Thought ball got extended before knee down,

20-all

That 26-yarder down the sideline for Ursuline on that last scoring drive before half was not a catch LOL.