Big Moe vs. Gilman

agreed. I think Moeller uni's look great. heard tonight the gold pants did not come in with the rest of the uniforms. But I like the white pants they wore tonight.

The jersey"s finally mathch the helmets I hear blue, gold and white pants with White and Blue jerseys.

gold pants would have been an improvement.

Moeller needs to work on stopping running QBs 162 yards by this guy is not good.. Trinity's QB Travis Wright is very mobile and a great passer then obviously Colerain has a Mobile QB... and who's that purple guy i just saw fly by?

This I can believe.
:rolleyes: They showed a replay of one of the blocks that was perfectly legal way of taking out a defensive lineman's legs.

Hawk43, your brother is pretty good but he missed a lot of tackles tonight. He was getting good penetration but Moe's RBs were running through his arms. You'd do your brother a big favor by keeping your enthusiasm to yourself and off chat boards.

It's never ceases to amaze me how much Moeller is hated by some people. Tonight was a typical first game. There were some bright spots but some areas that need to be fixed especially on defense. But let's be honest here, Gilman's QB is a stud. That guy is one tough SOB and never goes down on the first hit. It will be interesting to follow his career at Maryland.

Good win Big Moe! Good crowd too!

:rolleyes: They showed a replay of one of the blocks that was perfectly legal way of taking out a defensive lineman's legs.

Hawk43, your brother is pretty good but he missed a lot of tackles tonight. He was getting good penetration but Moe's RBs were running through his arms. You'd do your brother a big favor by keeping your enthusiasm to yourself and off chat boards.

It's never ceases to amaze me how much Moeller is hated by some people. Tonight was a typical first game. There were some bright spots but some areas that need to be fixed especially on defense. But let's be honest here, Gilman's QB is a stud. That guy is one tough SOB and never goes down on the first hit. It will be interesting to follow his career at Maryland.

Good win Big Moe! Good crowd too!

Moedude you know I gotta give the best team in R4 some crap to start your season. Nice win tonight your guys looked pretty good to me. Minor flaws with a running qb(hope this continues if we meet again this year).

I'm not at all. You were saying that Gilman's performances have no merit. Moeller will be a super tough team. I have seen last years tape. But from that, I don't think they have enough speed to contain Gilman. I think it will be a tough game that Gilman wins. I know Moeller has a really good offense but Gulman's defense is lights out and very very big and fast. I would a lot more confident of they didn't have 2 players hurt but still think they have enough to contain Moeller.

Moeller hung 35 on your boys. Can't wait to her you make excuses about injured players.

On more thing, that was not the best front 7 in the country that you declared in other threads. :Ohno:

Moedude you know I gotta give the best team in R4 some crap to start your season. Nice win tonight your guys looked pretty good to me. Minor flaws with a running qb(hope this continues if we meet again this year).

Yeah Moeller needs to get that wrapped up lol... or Jalin is going for 450 yards. I think Moeller will get better at it though. I think Moe could put up a lot of points on your Middies though.. Colerain sounds like a very solid team to me.

Moedude, i never said the cut blocks were illegal, but most HS lineman have not learned how to defend against cut blocks. Also, I'm sure you never missed a tackle playing. I'm not looking at missed tackles, or cut blocks or anything like that. i am looking at how hard he played and the raw talent that he has as a high school player. As a linebacker, i can tell you #8 for you all was absolutely awesome. one of the best linebackers i have seen in a while. whatever college program gets him will be lucky.

Moedude, i never said the cut blocks were illegal, but most HS lineman have not learned how to defend against cut blocks. Also, I'm sure you never missed a tackle playing. I'm not looking at missed tackles, or cut blocks or anything like that. i am looking at how hard he played and the raw talent that he has as a high school player. As a linebacker, i can tell you #8 for you all was absolutely awesome. one of the best linebackers i have seen in a while. whatever college program gets him will be lucky.

Already committed to one of your brother's soon to be biggest rivals MSU

hawk, you're a classy dude. appreciate the kind words and good luck to you and the rest of your family for the remainder of this season. and if you happen to talk to greyhound, have him get back on here and take his medicine.

I didn't say you did. My comment about the blocks was directed towards 92middiegrad.

I said your brother is pretty good. But you need to chill on line and curb some of your enthusiasm because like I said, he missed a lot of tackles tonight(even one of the ESPNU announcers mentioned it) and in the end making the tackle is what it"s all about when you are playing defense. I wish your brother luck, I'm just sayin' you're going to make your brother's life tough this year if you keep boasting the way you do. He will become a marked man. Just let his playing do all the talking and enjoy it. When a young man plays well enough there are plenty of other people who will be singing his praises.

other than saying he's an animal I don't think Hawk was boasting all that much about his brother. He even dogged his 1st half play a little. Why you busting his bag Dude? If he were my bro I'd be singing his praises as well, even though he did miss a couple of tackles. He also forced early throws and rerouted our RBs more than once. No one who matters gives a crap about what anyone on these boards say anyway, so have at it Hawk. Hype for him doesn't matter at this point- he's already got his D1 ride. Just best wishes to him and hope he stays injury free.

Very good opening game by both teams. Congratulations to Moe and hope this sends you on your way to at least a Regional Championship if not more. Gillman played a great game considering they had many playing both ways and you had to travel for this game which always makes it much tougher to play. They will be a force to be reckoned with in Maryland this year. But where is Greyhound when you want to hear from him

That Greyhound dude really did a disservice to Gilman. They handled themselves very well, even in a fairly decisive loss, and clearly have a great football program, led by a very good coach. Hopefully, they can make a stop in Ohio every season. Classy programs are always welcome to visit the Buckeye state for some great high school football. Also, best of luck to Hawk43. As for Moeller, they played very well tonight.

Very good opening game by both teams. Congratulations to Moe and hope this sends you on your way to at least a Regional Championship if not more. Gillman played a great game considering they had many playing both ways and you had to travel for this game which always makes it much tougher to play. They will be a force to be reckoned with in Maryland this year. But where is Greyhound when you want to hear from him
I don't understand these teams who try to play a "national" type schedule but don't two platoon. I think it's asking a lot out of 17-18 year olds to go up against such tough talent and try playing both ways.

Gilman has a very nice team but I do think having guys going both ways did contribute to their loss tonight.

I'm not at all. You were saying that Gilman's performances have no merit. Moeller will be a super tough team. I have seen last years tape. But from that, I don't think they have enough speed to contain Gilman. I think it will be a tough game that Gilman wins. I know Moeller has a really good offense but Gulman's defense is lights out and very very big and fast. I would a lot more confident of they didn't have 2 players hurt but still think they have enough to contain Moeller.

You thought wrong.

I will say that Coach Poggi is a class act. Him congratulating Spencer on a good game during the handshaking was good to see. Good luck to Coach Poggi and Gilman on the rest of their season.

Hello Ohio friends,

My name is Jim Poggi, son of Gilman coach Biff Poggi, and the only Poggi brother not involved with the Gilman Football team right now. I play at the University of Iowa with a few pretty stellar players from Ohio (John Lowdermilk, B.J. Lowery, Steve Bigach, and Ray Hamilton, just to name a few), all of whom are incredible football players, and even better people. When i asked them about Moeller all that they told me was, "Yeah, you guys better be ready, they are really good every year." And i believe it. I appreciate that no one really made any predictions about the game in the first few pages, because as any of us who have ever played the game knows, NO ONE really knows a team except for the players and coaches of that team. Greyhoundalum is a dear friend and big part of the Gilman community, but sometimes has a tendency to come off a little rough to other forum posters. What i really wanted to say on here was that I, my family, and the entire Gilman community is proud to be playing against such a prestigious program and have the utmost respect for Ohio HS football. If the kids on Moeller are anything like my team mates here in Iowa, then they are tough, hard nosed, great football players. I won't make any predictions about the game, because at this point i am no more than just a fan, but i will tell you that even though we are a small school of about 400 boys, you all can expect Gilman, no matter what the score is, to give it all they have every snap, because that is what we have done for 15 years without fail. We are all very excited to be a part of this, and you can bet i will be watching on ESPN U tonight rooting for my hounds. I wish the best of luck to both teams and look forward to a great game that i know the Gilman family, as well as my own, will remember for many years to come.

Go Gilman

Classy post...thanks to you I won't de-cleat your guy (which I planned to do...) Since you are at Iowa...tell my very, very dear friend Steve Lampe a Moe guy said hello...he knows his Moeller guys who were fighting bees real well...and take him out for a 7 and 7 and send me the bill please. GBM!

[/B]

That would be correct.

But moe loses this one big. One returning starter on defense worth mentioning, no team speed and no legit qb. Icav. is nothing more than a glorified running back, who never shows up for big games, and watkins clocks in at about a 4.7 40.

This will be a laugher.

Your posts were a joke last year and it looks like you are trying to outdo yourself this year.

Congrats to Moeller on the big win! Way to represent Ohio and Region 4. You look like a playoff team to me.

Looks as if youre one of my many fans. Get in line.

p.s. thanks for following me, its truly an honor.

No, just sick and tired of your anti-Moeller rants and, in particular, your apparent intense dislike of Spencer. Have no idea what he may have done to you for you to continually attack the kid but I would suggest that you seek psychiatric help for it. It's not healthy. And btw, the honor is all in your head. Grow up.

Last edited:
No, just sick and tired of your anti-Moeller rants and, in particular, your apparent intense dislike of Spencer. Have no idea what he may have done to you for you to continually attack the kid but I would suggest that you seek psychiatric help for it. It's not healthy.

Now this is interesting. He does the exact opposite on the St. X threads. Why would he boast about one QB/WR and ridicule the other? His kids even played on the same team with both of them through 8th grade. Well, played is used loosely here as both of his boys didn't play much.

I don't know why he would knock one and not the other. He knows both are good kids from good families too. Can't put my finger on it.

Back to the game- what do you guys think about the changes made to the D? I thought it was odd that the front four seemed to bow out in the middle. The two DTs were 4-5 yards off the ball and a couple yards beyond the line of scrimmage. I'm sure it was a blocking nightmare for the OL and allowed them to move to different gaps easier, but the middle run would've been more open. I didn't pay attention if we went back to a more traditional front in short yardage situations. We ran the 4-4 when I was there back in the day, but don't remember doing that with the DL. Then again I was a DB. Any thoughts?

Back to the game- what do you guys think about the changes made to the D? I thought it was odd that the front four seemed to bow out in the middle. The two DTs were 4-5 yards off the ball and a couple yards beyond the line of scrimmage. I'm sure it was a blocking nightmare for the OL and allowed them to move to different gaps easier, but the middle run would've been more open. I didn't pay attention if we went back to a more traditional front in short yardage situations. We ran the 4-4 when I was there back in the day, but don't remember doing that with the DL. Then again I was a DB. Any thoughts?
I'm not so sure we're quick enough to have those DT's so far off the ball. Gillman's QB was getting 2-3 yards of penetration just with his quick feet and then his momentum was giving him another 1-2 yards after the initial hits. Plus GIlman obviously made some blocking scheme adjustments at the half that sealed off the middle with that alignment. They were creating some nice lanes in that 3rd quarter with their inside sealing.

It was a good game for Moe to learn what they need to do to improve the defense but there just seem to be a lot of wide open seems in the alignment. On the flip side they did rise up and have a lot of 3rd down stops that foiled Gilman's attack. I think the QB had 182 yards rushing but about 90 of those came on two plays, the 56 yarder around left end on the first TD drive they had and then his 36 yard td. run through a counter type hole where a blocker came from the back side and did a great job sealing off the middle.

It will be interesting to see how it develops but the reviews from Sunday night's game are definitely mixed.

Moeller showed Maryland how real "Ohio" football is played. Gillman was never in the game even from the first kick off. I knew moeller was going to take it to them right away. They made them look like a DII or DIII football team with Ohio standards on Nation TV.