Better Call Saul Final Season

There wasn’t very much reason to ever hate Howard, though. I think people wanted to hate him because he’s kind of snooty and a big shot lawyer but he was usually depicted as a decent person.

Jesse was a degenerate whose life went from bad to completely torn apart because of Walt and the experience sort of straightened him out.

Sometimes the writing just works out a certain way and the response goes differently than what the writers were going for. Like Gilligan expected audiences to turn on Walt at some point but they never did. Instead they hated Skyler for treating Walt like trash lol

There is a lot of ambiguity on what is right/wrong in Gilligan's Albuquerque meth narrative, is there anyone really worth rooting for?

In the meth cartel underworld, no there are not. But it is an interesting look into human psychology that audiences did root for Walt and Jesse, hated Skyler, and loved Hank but didn't want him to catch Walt.

Maybe an "outlaw" fascination?

Is it because Walt was doing it "for his family"?

Even after it was apparent Walt was fueled more by resentment (Gray Matter) than making sure his family was set financially, audiences didn't waiver.

Walt let Jane choke to death: nothing.

It wasn't until Walt shot Mike that some of the audience turned on him. But even then it wasn't much.

And then the question is: what was it about Mike, an over-the-hill fixer for a meth distribution ring?

There wasn’t very much reason to ever hate Howard, though. I think people wanted to hate him because he’s kind of snooty and a big shot lawyer but he was usually depicted as a decent person.

Jesse was a degenerate whose life went from bad to completely torn apart because of Walt and the experience sort of straightened him out.

Sometimes the writing just works out a certain way and the response goes differently than what the writers were going for. Like Gilligan expected audiences to turn on Walt at some point but they never did. Instead they hated Skyler for treating Walt like trash lol
I hate Skylar.

In the meth cartel underworld, no there are not. But it is an interesting look into human psychology that audiences did root for Walt and Jesse, hated Skyler, and loved Hank but didn't want him to catch Walt.

Even after it was apparent Walt was fueled more by resentment (Gray Matter) than making sure his family was set financially, audiences didn't waiver.

It wasn't until Walt shot Mike that some of the audience turned on him. But even then it wasn't much.

And then the question is: what was it about Mike, an over-the-hill fixer for a meth distribution ring?
And of course Walt redeemed himself, sort of, by returning for Jesse and ensuring his family got paid. It is all about that line and moral conundrums. Crossing that line and then perhaps finding redemption.

Howard was plenty snooty, but he also banished a young Kim to the back room, stole Mesa Verde and essentially cut Jimmy out of the nursing home litigation.

I hate Skylar.
A lot of women have a major problem with these Gilligan shows, they think they stereotyped all women as manipulative and basically b*tches. Skylar may be at the top of the heap but take your pick: Marie, Jane, Lydia, Gretchen, and probably my favorite Betsy Kettleman. All were Lady Macbeth like in their qualities.

They must of had that car shipped to some far away land because if it was CA the car, the wallet, the ring, and probably the shoes would not have made it to dawn.

A lot of women have a major problem with these Gilligan shows, they think they stereotyped all women as manipulative and basically b*tches. Skylar may be at the top of the heap but take your pick: Marie, Jane, Lydia, Gretchen, and probably my favorite Betsy Kettleman. All were Lady Macbeth like in their qualities.
That's an odd critique. Skylar, Marie, and Jane, I get. Betsy is a side character so she doesn't count. Lydia I wouldn't call manipulative and b*itchy. More like extremely high-strung when she's in over her head. Andrea was a good female character. Gretchen? Nothing wrong with her. Kim is easily the most admirable character across the entire BCS/BB universe.

Last edited:
Kim straight up gaslighting Howard's widow. Also, the pictures at the wake were pulled right from Patrick Fabian's instagram. I'm pretty sure in one of them, they cropped out Lalo's actor.

I'd love to see this team make more shows outside this universe because this is truly masterful film making. Just some or the shots are so dang artistic and subtextual. Like the fire reflecting in Gus' glasses or Mike and Papa on opposite sides of the fence with Mike obscured by chain links.

Kim straight up gaslighting Howard's widow. Also, the pictures at the wake were pulled right from Patrick Fabian's instagram. I'm pretty sure in one of them, they cropped out Lalo's actor.

I'd love to see this team make more shows outside this universe because this is truly masterful film making. Just some or the shots are so dang artistic and subtextual. Like the fire reflecting in Gus' glasses or Mike and Papa on opposite sides of the fence with Mike obscured by chain links.
The camera shot from inside the burn barrel looking up at Mike is another.

The coffee from the courthouse coffee machine transitioning into the blood from the apartment cleanup, Kim's evidence photo transitioning to Mike looking at the apartment picture....

The kiss on the parking deck clearly had tones of a permanent goodbye kiss.

The big time jump ahead to Saul in bed with the hooker wasn't smooth but it was damn effective.

This sums up the brilliance of the show. They got us to love and root for the bad guys, to truly care about their outcome. BB was simply the best TV show ever.

Pinkman alone was a brilliant character. Lifelong drug-dealing scumbag, but so conflicted about it. So tormented when bad things happen to kids and innocent people. We all were ecstatic when he was freed at the end of BB.

100% agree with all the comments about the artistry and symbolism of the show and specifically this episode. That opening sequence with all the transitions between Jimmy and Kim's "normal day" and Mike's crew cleaning the apartment was TV-making at its finest.

Rhea's acting was top shelf too. You could see on her face throughout that she was just done, but also conflicted. Hate to see her go, but we all knew she was going. It surprised me that she left Jimmy with 4 episodes left. Loved the quick transition from Jimmy being sad when Kim leaves him to him being full-blown Saul. It pushed him over over that edge quickly.

With Lalo dead and Kim gone, not sure what the next 4 episodes have in store.

100% agree with all the comments about the artistry and symbolism of the show and specifically this episode. That opening sequence with all the transitions between Jimmy and Kim's "normal day" and Mike's crew cleaning the apartment was TV-making at its finest.

Rhea's acting was top shelf too. You could see on her face throughout that she was just done, but also conflicted. Hate to see her go, but we all knew she was going. It surprised me that she left Jimmy with 4 episodes left. Loved the quick transition from Jimmy being sad when Kim leaves him to him being full-blown Saul. It pushed him over over that edge quickly.

With Lalo dead and Kim gone, not sure what the next 4 episodes have in store.
I think now we see the transition into the full bore early BB storylines.

Rhea Seehorn should be up for some awards based on this season.