Bestest Donuts You've Ever Had!

EagleGuy

Our office gets glazed donuts on Friday for being such hard workers. Krispy Kreme, the hometown favorite, to be exact. Of course, I don't eat any. :)

What is the bestest donut/doughnut you have ever had? How does this one sound?

At Christmas time, if you can get your hands on one, pair one of the panettone doughnuts, stuffed with booze-soaked fruit and topped with vanilla almond glaze, with a cup of the very fine house coffee.

And, also from this article - https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/restaurants/best-doughnuts-every-state - the Buckeye state's bestest - maybe:

Ohio​

Cincinnati's Northside is one of a number of neighborhoods in the Queen City where you could film a movie set in the 1970s and not have to do very much set dressing at all. One might imagine an entire story set around the old Bonomini Bakery, with its vintage neon sign hanging prominently above the sidewalk. Early in the morning, even in the dead of winter, don't be surprised to find a small crowd angling for entry to one of the most charming family-owned bakeries around, three generations and counting, where you can go for wedding cakes and other similarly serious purchases, but you can also just drop by for the city's finest doughnut, which is the Clunker. Roughly the size of an average fist and about as daintily shaped, most people go for the ones covered in glaze, though in the past we've seen plain and powdered sugar-dusted as well. In a surprise twist, the cake on the inside will be wonderfully light. You'll find Clunkers sold around town; Bonomini's are the best.

In central Ohio, that would be the Westerville Bakery. My co-worker brought them in once and I was stunned at how good they were.

Krispy Kreme = Deep fried cotton candy. During college days we'd pick up a dozen across from the metro exchange and it would be gone before last stop. Then we discovered pork-rind guy outside the Piggly-Wiggly with his deep-fat fryer and never went back to Krispy Kreme.

Have yet to enjoy any of the new fad foo-foo doughnuts. Happy with the local bakeries and their regular priced doughnuts just fine.

Dom's bakery in Ypsi used to be worth a trip but as usual, success brings children sent to business school and prices skyrocketed.

Had a roommate in college that worked nights at a gas station across the street from a Krispy Kreme. We got to be friends with the night time baker. He told us to come to the back door any time we wanted and he'd take care of us. Nothing better than a fresh warm FREE Krispy Kreme glazed donut.

A regular glazed or a glazed twisty donut or sometimes an apple fritter.

Bill's Donuts in Centerville are the best around here. Stan the Donut Man in Dayton has good donuts, too.

Krispy Kremes are always good, but the store in Kettering shut down years ago. Speedway still sells Krispy Kremes around here and they're usually pretty fresh.

Ea-l46tXgAIybfv.jpg
Also Krispy Kreme mini crullers, in particular lemon, blueberry and birthday cake. Pumpkin Spice is also pretty good.

Last edited:
I second Milton's in Middletown. Highly recommend the fried cream cheese or the zebra.

Butler County also has the Donut Trail where you get a passport and then hit I think 14 different donut shops around the county. When your passport is complete, you mail it in to the county's tourism group and they send you a t-shirt. Several good spots on the trail, including Milton's and Central Pastry in Middletown, Holtman's in West Chester, and Ross Bakery in Ross Twp. I believe the Donut Trail was featured on one of the shows on the Travel Channel.

Ea-l46tXgAIybfv.jpg
Also Krispy Kreme mini crullers, in particular lemon, blueberry and birthday cake. Pumpkin Spice is also pretty good.
Bruh! Those lemon crullers are the ish! I can never find them at my Kroger. Other than that, Bills Donuts are the best. The line is out the door at midnight.

The best deal and a way to get the office staff motivated on Friday's is Giant Eagle's $6 for a Dozen Donuts Fridays. Not the best donuts but not bad either, since they are so popular and turn at a high volume they are fresh and while my staff complains about packing on the pounds when I bring a couple dozen in the morning by lunch they are long gone.

As for boutique style donuts the best I have found is in of all places Moab, UT; Dough Birds. They have all the popular 21st century flavors like red velvet w/ cream cheese frosting and they are executed very well.

And finally there is Britt's at Carolina Beach. The food menu consists of one item, glazed donuts. If you have just one item it better be good and it is. Doesn't pass the look test but while on the beach a nice glazed donut hits the spots.
10547844_10204603648800959_230289978814412187_o.jpg

Bruh! Those lemon crullers are the ish! I can never find them at my Kroger. Other than that, Bills Donuts are the best. The line is out the door at midnight.
I like Bill's. If you like Bill's I suggest driving down 75 to Middletown and trying Milton's. Get there before 9 on the weekends or all the good stuff will be gone.

Donut shop on Indian Lake in Logan county. Summer weekends it has long lines of 50 plus....people even like to boat across the lake to get their doughnuts

In Massillon, some will swear by Lieberman's, not me though since Lieberman's is closed on Mondays which is the day I often end up craving some type of baked good. Instead, I'm a Johnnie's man (they also have a location in Canton within 1 mile of I-77). Their creamsticks are terrific!

Also, I'd forgotten that this event exists if you're a cycling and donut enthusiast:

As my summer job while in college, I worked at a "bakery," a.k.a. a mass production facility of baked goods. Unfortunately, I never got to work in the donut department which was in a building across the street from the rest of the plant. Only time I ever got to go in there was when I was running trash while assigned to the sanitation dept.

Last edited:
I always liked plain donuts, Dunkin's with the little TiT on the side were right up there.

Mary Ann's on McKinley Avenue (Canton) was often a go to place for years.

:>---

SALT

Pat's donuts in Lima
Ft. Findlay donuts in Findlay
Ideal Bakery - Gibsonberg
Holman's - West Chester

But is there really a bad donut?

I always liked plain donuts, Dunkin's with the little TiT on the side were right up there.

Mary Ann's on McKinley Avenue (Canton) was often a go to place for years.

:>---

SALT
Not a huge fan of Mary Ann's. They have more of that chemical, mass produced taste. I'll eat them, but it's hard knowing that there are better options nearby. Not sure if they still make all the donuts at McKinley Ave. and then send them to their stores to be iced or if at least a part of the production has moved next to their store on West Tuscarawas.