Best High School Football Dynasty 1982-2007

Best HS football dynasty 1982-2007

• De La Salle

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Are you that stupid?

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters
was cleveland st. ignatius #1 in 1993, they lost to colerain in 04 when they should have been #1, lost to st.x last year and some polls had x at #1. Plus playing the number 1 team in the country doesnt mean you have a harder schedule than everyone else. look at cincy st.x this past year, they beat colerain and trinity who finished 14 and 23 nationally, they demolished dematha when they were 3, and the hardest game was against st.ignatius- unranked

was cleveland st. ignatius #1 in 1993, they lost to colerain in 04 when they should have been #1, lost to st.x last year and some polls had x at #1. Plus playing the number 1 team in the country doesnt mean you have a harder schedule than everyone else. look at cincy st.x this past year, they beat colerain and trinity who finished 14 and 23 nationally, they demolished dematha when they were 3, and the hardest game was against st.ignatius- unranked

so your long winded answer is a fancy way of saying NO, Moeller has never beat the #1 team in the country

PS de matha scored 7 points on a losing team last year (winning 7-6)
a preseason top 5 ranking means nothing when the season proves you are not very good

heck dls was rated #1 to start 2004 and started the season 2-3-2

should dls claim a #1 ranking in 2004?

dls has played the #1 ranked team in the country (who came in to the game with 1 loss in their last 60 games) and beat them handily

moeller has no such accomplishment

Last edited:

Dallas-Jesuit, Pittsburgh-Penn Hills, Detroit- Brother Rice, any of those names ring a bell ? I know DJ was in TAPPS at the time but was still TAPP's CHAMPS!And DJ was considered a renegade program in the DFW area.

Given the time it happened, access to information about Moeller opponents is not nearly as accessible (if it even exists on the web at all).

What is your point here, consumerman? That Moeller wasn't a dynasty?

Moeller won 5 national poll titles and 7 Ohio D1 titles in 11 years. Ohio D1 is considered easily one of the toughest classifications in the nation. They had to face one of the strongest programs in the country just a few miles away in Princeton (let alone the likes of Massillon and McKinley from up north). They were playing out-of-state teams. They averaged 15-20 scholarships per year, two All-Americans per year, several All-Ohios every year....

Nobody is saying DLS wasn't a dynasty. What's your problem?

Dallas-Jesuit, Pittsburgh-Penn Hills, Detroit- Brother Rice, any of those names ring a bell ? I know DJ was in TAPPS at the time but was still TAPP's CHAMPS!And DJ was considered a renegade program in the DFW area.

Dallas Jesuit isn't much to talk about if recent years are any indication. I'm not sure the private schools in texas have ever really been pre-eminent there.

This is awesome.

Moeller beat Penn Hills 30-13 in 1979, and Penn Hills was still ranked as the third-best team in the WPIAL (a huge Pittsburgh league that is more like a California section than a regular league, as I understand it) for the period 1974-1998.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports_headlines/19990919hsteams7.asp

The teams ahead of them on the list ranked 1st and 5th in USA Today, and the team tied with them ranked 5th.

That was before the USA Today rankings, but if it means they beat a team by 17 that would still have ended up about 5th in the USA Today rankings, despite the loss, that's pretty good.

This is awesome.

Moeller beat Penn Hills 30-13 in 1979, and Penn Hills was still ranked as the third-best team in the WPIAL (a huge Pittsburgh league that is more like a California section than a regular league, as I understand it) for the period 1974-1998.

The teams ahead of them on the list ranked 1st and 5th in USA Today, and the team tied with them ranked 5th.

That was before the USA Today rankings, but if it means they beat a team by 17 that would still have ended up about 5th in the USA Today rankings, despite the loss, that's pretty good.

Chi-town:

That's a great find. I didn't realize how big the WPIAL is until I looked over on calpreps. Huge organization. As you say, not really a league at all.

The following names jumped out at me:

Aliquippa

Central Catholic

Gateway

North Hills

Penn Hills

Woodland Hills

Upper St. Clair

McKeesport

North Allegheny

Even Jeanette....

It's like a majority of the Who's Who of heavy hitters in Pennsylvania high school football.

I found at least nine WPIAL members that have hit the USA Today Top 25 over the years.

Dallas Jesuit was considered the homecoming opponent in the DFW area.

Moeller may be the greatest ever, but using the fact they beat Dallas Jesuit is not as big of a feather as you may think.

B]Nobody is saying DLS wasn't a dynasty. What's your problem?[/B]

if you actually took time to read the thread progression instead of being a troublemaking troll just arguing ohio is better than everybody (as you always do) then you would see that someone posted a bunch of opinions about moeller and dls that real facts do not back up

EXAMPLE "nobody oustide norcal thought highly of dls until they beat mater dei (in 1998)" seems an odd statement as DLS ws ranked in USA Today final poll as early as 1985 and in the top ten 1988, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997

got it troll?

This is awesome.

Penn Hills was coached by Andy Urbanic and was a darn good team.Team leader was Bill Fralic, who stated after the game that Moeller was the best team he had played against and I quote "The best team I will ever play against". Urbanic was equally stunned. "Those weren't exactly creampuffs they were pushing around".

Dallas Jesuit was considered the homecoming opponent in the DFW area.

Moeller may be the greatest ever, but using the fact they beat Dallas Jesuit is not as big of a feather as you may think.
http://community-2.webtv.net/SEKSPORTS/HIGHSCHOOLCOMM/page9.html

Check the link, between 74 and 82 DJ bagged about 4 titles. Some homecoming opp.I know TAPPS isn't the UIL, but remember this, they called Moeller! And were hammered 37-7. 31-0 at halftime. Faust played the waterboys.

im pretty sure we can all agree that delasalle is a dynasty, they won 1oo+ games in a row

That is not in dispute. What is argueable is that there were "other" dynasties pre-dating DLS's rise to national prominence. Some people here seem to believe DLS invented the football.

DLS's playoffs between 99-2004, were merely scrimmages

ask michigan about dennis dixon

who is dennis dixon? he only played on a team that went undefeated three straight years,... except for getting smashed by dls in the section final

scrimmage?

get real

San Leandro "knew" they couldn't beat DLS! I have relatives who were invlolved with Monte Vista during this time period and was fortunate to see DLS several times during the streak.Easily the best team of the modern era. And the comp in NorCal is underrated. Even the late Nelson Tennis questioned whether DLS could have sustained a streak of such duration if California had a playoff system similar to Texas or Ohio. And not because DLS wasn't probably the best team. But that attrition or a 95% game could more likely occur when playing teams less frequently seen over a 15 or 16 game season. I believe California is competitive enough so that if DLS had to "run the gauntlet" the streak might not have hit 151. Many close to the program would not have wanted another duel with Poly in 2001 and have been quoted in various books and news articles saying so.Shoot DLS might would have blistered Poly by half a hundred 11 weeks later.Or maybe in a rematch the athletes play with more composure? Still would have loved to see them hook it up at the end of 2001 after vanquishing everyone else. The more games you play, and against steller teams, the greater chance of a loss. And it's tough to beat a great team twice in a season.

The real problem I see is that no one wants to admit that there just might be a chance that there have been several dynasties throughout the years and the only way to decide who is the best is to have them play each other. (that will never happen) so continue to argue online, it really makes my day reading all this stuff

The real problem I see is that no one wants to admit that there just might be a chance that there have been several dynasties throughout the years and the only way to decide who is the best is to have them play each other. (that will never happen) so continue to argue online, it really makes my day reading all this stuff

Look at the positive.At least we don't have to talk about soccer:cool:

http://community-2.webtv.net/SEKSPORTS/HIGHSCHOOLCOMM/page9.html

Check the link, between 74 and 82 DJ bagged about 4 titles. Some homecoming opp.I know TAPPS isn't the UIL, but remember this, they called Moeller! And were hammered 37-7. 31-0 at halftime. Faust played the waterboys.

The largest TAPPS schools football teams would be competitve in 3A. Back in the 70's/80's I'd guess they would be comparable to a 2A/A level in Texas. That would out them in the D4/D5 range in Ohio I think.

You CANNOT compare privates schools in Texas with other states.

As good as Moeller was during the Faust years, citing Dallas Jesuit as one of their great victories isnt a great accomplishment.

Moeller Teams

I got the privelege of watching the Moeller teams. They were fantastic. I did not get to see the DLS teams but the record explains it all. I have no problem going on record saying that Moe was a dynasty and would have handed the Southlake Carroll teams of the last few years their azzes in a handbasket. These guys were unbelievably good.

My vote still goes for Hudson. Small but mighty team from a town of 1500 people who played anybody that wanted to play. Now thats a real accomplishment. No big city recruitment, just a small pool of farm boys to draw from. Well coached and fundamentally sound public team. You big city boys think about that before you start spouting off about all your great accomplishments and padded statistics.:grouphug:

I got the privelege of watching the Moeller teams. They were fantastic. I did not get to see the DLS teams but the record explains it all. I have no problem going on record saying that Moe was a dynasty and would have handed the Southlake Carroll teams of the last few years their azzes in a handbasket. These guys were unbelievably good.

I respectfully disagree.

I don't know that they would have handed them their azzes so to speak.....but they would have won more than they lost, that's for sure.