Best High School Football Dynasty 1982-2007

Best HS football dynasty 1982-2007

• De La Salle

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Are you that stupid?

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters
you are way off by a mile

dls won more playoff games IN THEIR SECTION than Moeller had to win to "win" state

most DLS teams had 3 playoff games every year

most moeller teams had 2 playoff games every year and in some cases ONE!

When did a national poll title or state-title winning Moeller team have one playoff game?

DLS in the post season

1982 2-0
1983 0-1
1984 3-0
1985 3-0
1986 3-0
1987 2-1
1988 3-0
1989 3-0
1990 3-0
1991 2-1
1992 3-0
1993 3-0
1994 3-0
1995 3-0
1996 2-0
1997 2-0
1998 2-0
1999 2-0
2000 3-0
2001 3-0
2002 3-0
2003, 2004, 2005 2006 researching
2007 4-0

so much for never winning a playoff game

Most of Moellers seasons were 2 playoff games only
DLS played 3 playoff games every year from 1984 to 1995

Who said they never won a playoff game?

Wrong again, schiznit for brains.

For many if not most of their undefeated seasons, DLS did not play the other best teams in California, which tend to be located in SoCal.

Moeller did face other face top teams in Ohio and some out-of-state teams also (DLS did not until late in the streak).

How's the weather today in fantasy land?

tend to be, based on what?

what makes servite the best team in california in 1982?

what is your proof?

tend to be, based on what?

what makes servite the best team in california in 1982?

what is your proof?

Are you denying that apart from DLS, the center of power for high school football is in SoCal?

Hey, California folks, care to weigh in here?

Servite was the highest ranked team in California that year, despite their loss to Moe. I find it ironic that the lack of a statewide playoff system in California isn't allowed to affect DLS, but now you use it to cast doubt on Servite.

Last edited:
several of their playoff games were rather low scoring and/or close outcomes

In their state title and national title years, there were few if any playoff games that were at all close.

What are you doing? Throwing as much crap at the wall as possible to see what will stick?

BTW, from '75-'79 Moeller played two playoff games. Starting in 1980 that changed to three and then in 1985 it was four.

Embarrassment.

Full of crap.

But consistent.

Are you denying that apart from DLS, the center of power for high school football isn't in SoCal?

Hey, California folks, care to weigh in here?

Servite was the highest ranked team in California that year, despite their loss to Moe. I find it ironic that the lack of a statewide playoff system in California isn't allowed to affect DLS, but now you use it to cast doubt on Servite.

ranked by who?

what san diego area school champ did they beat?
what ccs power did they beat?
what north coast section power (BTW DLS was undefeated that year) did they beat?
what san joaquin section champ did they beat?
what sacramanet area power did they beat?

oh an opinionated ranking, that's it

that is your proof that servite was unquestionably the best team in california????

bTW ST X was rated 5th by USA Today in 2005, do you agree with that ranking?

Sounds like none of DLS's national #1s count for anything. All opinion.

I don't really care about X getting #5 in 2005. Colerain should have had the national #1 in 2004, however. IMHO, of course.

In their state title and national title years, there were few if any playoff games that were at all close.

here is my research

first in the period 1975-1985 moeller did NOT win 7 state championships
they played in 7 title games (big deal, means they won one playof game to get there in most years)

they went 6-1, which means in 4 years they couldnt even win one playoff game

1975 won despite scoring only 14 points (14-12)
1976 won
1977 won (despite scoring only 14 points)
1978 NOT THERE
1979 NOT THERE
1980 won
1981 LOST (shutout)
1982 won
1983 NOT THERE
1984 NOT THERE
1985 won

in the Faust years Moeller either did not make it or scored 14 points or fewer or lost 4 of 6 years

DLS went from 1990 to 2001 never scoring less than 21 points

2 impressive wins in 6 years and that does not consider any of their first round games

moeller dominated?

care to think that one again?

so you still think servite was without a doubt the #1 team in california in 1982?

based on an opinionated ranking (and the first year attempting to do that)?

so you still think servite was without a doubt the #1 team in california in 1982?

based on an opinionated ranking (and the first year attempting to do that)?

I think that's where they were ranked. If you have better information, do tell. Call Beuerlein, maybe he can help.

I think that's where they were ranked. If you have better information, do tell. Call Beuerlein, maybe he can help.

so oyou stand by an opinionated ranking as your proof

same old concha

yes socal has more football teams and overall is better

that does not meet the BEST team is ALWAYS from Socal as was proven in 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002 etc

BTW Mater Dei was ranked #1 by USA Today in 1994 and 1996

they were ranked BELOW DLS in state polls those years

don't forget LA is a big market and ranking a team highly out there sells newspapers

I personally saw ST Francis in 1982 manhandle Bellarmine (state #1 team ranked in 1981) twice

they were undefeated

who says they would lose to servite?

here is my research

first in the period 1975-1985 moeller did NOT win 7 state championships
they played in 7 title games (big deal, means they won one playof game to get there in most years)

they went 6-1, which means in 4 years they couldnt even win one playoff game

1975 won despite scoring only 14 points (14-12) [Ever hear of defense?]
1976 won [Yes, by an an average of 41-3. 7/12 shutouts]
1977 won (despite scoring only 14 points) [Versus on of the winningest programs in the country who gave up 4-5 ppg on avg. Defense.]
1978 NOT THERE [Lost by one to eventual state champion Princeton]
1979 NOT THERE [Ohio D1 Champions & National Poll Champions]
1980 won
1981 LOST (shutout) [To Canton McKinley. McKinley gave up 32 points all year and 9 of 13 games were shutouts. Considered one of the best defenses in Ohio high school history]
1982 won
1983 NOT THERE [Traded 28-21 games with National #2 Princeton. Unfortunately for Moe, they lost the 2nd of them]
1984 NOT THERE
1985 won

in the Faust years Moeller either did not make it or scored 14 points or fewer or lost 4 of 6 years

DLS went from 1990 to 2001 never scoring less than 21 points

2 impressive wins in 6 years and that does not consider any of their first round games

moeller dominated?

care to think that one again?

From 1975 - 1985:

7 Ohio D1 titles

5 national poll titles

In one year they lost by one to champion Princeton (from their region, BTW)

In another year they traded games with eventual champion and USA Today national #2 Princeton.

This while playing in a statewide tournament and having another of the best teams in the country just a few miles away. Not to mention the likes of Massillon and McKinley from Northeastern Ohio, two of the legendary programs of high school football in the nation. Yet they lost just five games in 11 years, one of which was actually forfeited later on as the other team used ineligible players.

Anyone who saw those Moeller teams play (and I did) would tell you they were a dynasty. In those years their lowest scholie player turnout was 14 and they had 27 seniors get scholies on their 1982 team (they had 24 in '79 and '81).

I personally saw ST Francis in 1982 manhandle Bellarmine (state #1 team ranked in 1981) twice

they were undefeated

who says they would lose to servite?

The guy at USA Today, I guess. If you don't think Servite was the best, then more power to you. I couldn't care less.

From 1975 - 1985:

7 Ohio D1 titles

5 national poll titles

In another year they traded games with eventual champion and USA Today national #2 Princeton.

This while playing in a statewide tournament and having another of the best teams in the country just a few miles away. Not to mention the likes of Massillon and McKinley from Northeastern Ohio, two of the legendary programs of high school football in the nation. Yet they lost just five games in 11 years, one of which was actually forfeited later on as the other team used ineligible players.

Anyone who saw those Moeller teams play (and I did) would tell you they were a dynasty. In those years their lowest scholie player turnout was 14 and they had 27 seniors get scholies on their 1982 team (they had 24 in '79 and '81).

please name the years

the source I have says six (see above where I went year by year 1975-85, my guess would be 1979)

so oyou stand by an opinionated ranking as your proof

same old concha

yes socal has more football teams and overall is better

that does not meet the BEST team is ALWAYS from Socal as was proven in 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002 etc

BTW Mater Dei was ranked #1 by USA Today in 1994 and 1996

they were ranked BELOW DLS in state polls those years

don't forget LA is a big market and ranking a team highly out there sells newspapers
Even though I believe DLS was the best team in 2002. They didn't beat the best team in SoCal. They beat a Poly team that lost to Mater Dei in the semi's. Mater Dei went on to get crushed by Los Al in the finals.

Those were some great teams

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,946435,00.html

From back in the day.

Ohio State Champions:
76 + Nat'l Poll Champ
77 + Nat'l Poll Champ
79 + Nat'l Poll Champ
80 + Nat'l Poll Champ
82 + Nat'l Poll Champ
I can not speak about the Cali teams at the time, but I have never saw teams that were as good as Moeller before or since. I remember watching them warm up and even the kicker was nailing 50 yarders. People would have just had to see it to get the full effect. Its hard to describe it in words.

I can not speak about the Cali teams at the time, but I have never saw teams that were as good as Moeller before or since. I remember watching them warm up and even the kicker was nailing 50 yarders. People would have just had to see it to get the full effect. Its hard to describe it in words.

I remember being in the stands and hearing parents from the opposing team saying things like "They shouldn't let them play high school teams". They even had ultra-cool unis.

You may enjoy this, Woody. A video report by Pete Rose about Moeller football from 1982. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the other guy in the opening sequence, he is Nick Clooney, father of George Clooney and the brother of the famous singer Rosemary Clooney.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9jX__ZzZT0U&feature=related

I seem toremember a small school in michigan in the 70s who had 72straight wins during a 9 year span and they played anyone who wanted to play them i belive the name of the school was Hudson. Has anyone heard of them or am i mistaken

I seem toremember a small school in michigan in the 70s who had 72straight wins during a 9 year span and they played anyone who wanted to play them i belive the name of the school was Hudson. Has anyone heard of them or am i mistaken
Yes, you are correct. It was Hudson's record that DLS eclipsed in the 90's.

The 1999 Shreveport Evangel team was beyond awesome.

I also remember reading about those Ohio teams back in the day. Moeller was def one of the all time greats.

From 1975 - 1985:

7 Ohio D1 titles

5 national poll titles

The Faust led Moeller teams I saw were the best combination of coaching, talent, and discipline I have yet to see on the gridiron, keeping in context with the times of course. And yes, Pat Mancuso had Princeton playing at an incredible level during the same time period. (Where does the time go?) Elder, Upper Arlington, Centerville, and many others were no walks in the park in the late 70's
DLS's accomplishments are numerically superior than Moellers.But be fair, DLS's playoffs between 99-2004, were merely scrimmages. Their sterner tests usually being held in the first 5 weeks. DLS had less worry about attrition, or perhaps playing a team on a hot streak, or a resurgent Poly or Buchanan in say 01' while injuries are adding up on their side. The strength and weight program was built around a peak at week 5 and 13. And their accomplishments are mind certainly mindboggling. Maybe though playing in a scrupulously organized playoff system, designed to match the best programs from all over the state, the chances of DLS slipping up maybe increases. Yes I believe Moeller had a tougher challenge week to week, on the field as well as dealing with media frenzy. By dominating Ohio's big school division to such an extent, and routing champions from football proud states such as Texas, Penn, Mich, plus Monsigor Farrell out of Staten Island, and DeMatha, Moeller gained a national reputation far earlier in their dynasty period than DLS. National spotlight from 76' on. Under the microscope was Moeller. Really, until DLS whipped Mated Dei,nobody outside of NorCal took them seriously. Who was the better or bigger program? All things being equal ( remember Moeller spared no expense, 1st class in everything) I believe Moeller ran a more sophisticated program. Even in those pre-internet days, the casual sports fan was familier with Moeller. Moe garnered television coverage on nearly every major sports program as well as many other shows of varying type. Oh and yeah, the offensive line exploded off the ball just like DLS, only with bigger guys:) I don't believe Ohio HS football has the competitivness from the public schools now than during that time period. Outside of the GCL, Moeller coming to your town to play your boys was an event! ( See Centerville 1980) From 75-80 they were more dominant on a state and national stage than any hs football team ever.

Last edited:
By dominating Ohio's big school division to such an extent, and routing champions from football proud states such as Texas, Penn, Mich, plus Monsigor Farrell out of Staten Island, and DeMatha, Moeller gained a national reputation far earlier in their dynasty period than DLS.

huh?

just curious if moeller ever defeated the #1 ranked team in the country as de las salle did in 2001 (despite the loss they still finished #3 in the nation)

just curious if moeller ever defeated a team that finished the season as the #2 ranked team in the country as dls did in 1998

moeller became a power circa 15 years after faust began coaching

de la salle had an undefeated championship in coach lad's fourth season

they had a 44 game win streak starting in coach lad's sixth season

they had a 34 game win streak started in coach lad's tenth season

they started a 151 game win streak in coach lad's 14th season

I would say the premise that moeller under faust established themselves prominently much faster than dls is not established by real facts

DLS's playoffs between 99-2004, were merely scrimmages

ask michigan about dennis dixon

who is dennis dixon? he only played on a team that went undefeated three straight years,... except for getting smashed by dls in the section final

scrimmage?

get real

Maybe though playing in a scrupulously organized playoff system, designed to match the best programs from all over the state, the chances of DLS slipping up maybe increases

california is MUCH larger than ohio

to ask dls to compete in a full state playoff would be equal to moeller having to win (more than a piddly two games) in ohio (say 5) then having another two games with champions from other states

you need several states plus ohip to equal the population of california

PS
california hasnt fared too badly against ohio teams in the herbie

that isnt a far fetched opinion

but on the field results

Really, until DLS whipped Mated Dei,nobody outside of NorCal took them seriously

the first game was in 1998

DLS was ranked in USA Today's year end poll in 1985, 13 years prior

DLS was ranked in USA Today final top ten in 1988, 10 years prior

DLS was ranked #3 in USA Today's final top ten poll in 1992, 6 years prior

DLS won the National Prep Poll Championship in 1994, 4 years earlier

once again your biased ohio opinion did not look at facts before trying to make moeller look better than dls

do some research next time

From 75-80 they were more dominant on a state and national stage than any hs football team ever.

beyond ludicrous

dls had a 151 game win streak for 12 years and were named a national #1 by at least 1 poll in 1994, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003. In 1996 they were ranked second to Mater Dei, which incidentally was ranked BELOW DLS in state polls.

moeller had 4 excellent years in 6 years

that does not come close to comparing what dls did over 12 years or even just between 1998 and 2003

once again opinions for you, facts for dls

everyone knows delasalle won more consecutive games than any other school in the country. they just didnt play as hard a schedule as moeller did