Best District 2021 performance?

Supertramp

What stood out this weekend?

Mountain narrowly missing Kennedy’s 1600m record is my pick. 0.41 away, entirely on his own.

My vote is Mountain.

Mason district was stacked as usual.

Mountains 4:05 is superb, especially on a warm night winning by almost 10 seconds.

Two guys at 9:10 or faster (was Mountain happy to cruise in third or was he gassed?)

10.55 wind legal 100.

1:51 800

3:19 4x4.

Regionals/State will be fun.

My vote is Mountain.

Mason district was stacked as usual.

Mountains 4:05 is superb, especially on a warm night winning by almost 10 seconds.

Two guys at 9:10 or faster (was Mountain happy to cruise in third or was he gassed?)

10.55 wind legal 100.

1:51 800

3:19 4x4.

Regionals/State will be fun.
He just cruised in 3rd. Won't be able to take it quite so easy in the 3200 next week with the two Lakota West runners joining him, and the 1600 adds Schmidt and Bell to the field.

I would add Alex Justus to the impressive performers list, lowered his own district meet record by about 1.5 seconds in the 800.

So, am I right that the D1 Boys SW regional 3200 has Agnew 9:05, Zegarski 9:08, Ford 9:09, Bohrer 9:10, Cronk 9:10 and Mountain?

Last edited:
So, am I right that the D1 Boys SW regional 3200 has Agnew 9:05, Zegarski 9:08, Ford 9:09, Bohrer 9:10, Cronk 9:10 and Mountain?
Mountain 8:52
Agnew 9:05
Zegarski 9:06
Ford 9:06
Bohrer 9:10
Cronk 9:10
Martin 9:11
Elking 9:15
Ewert 9:19

No matter what happens, 3 of these guys are not going to the state meet and 1 of them isn’t even scoring.

This has to be one of, if not the, deepest 3200m field at a regional ever. There have been state 3200m fields worse than this.

With a few of them in the 1600m, I’ll be very interested to see if any of them drop the 1600m, or focus on the 1600m and drop the 3200m.

*technically 5 could not move on if they don’t get the at-large bids, but I’m going to guess both at-large bids come out of the SW this year for the 3200m.

Last edited:
Ah, Horter ran 4:04.84 in the mile, but does OHSAA recognize his 4:03.4 in the 1600? If so, OHSAA needs to update their records page. https://www.ohsaa.org/sports/records/tfrecrd.htm Edit: This link for records at the state meet only? I'm confused.
I assume you pulled that from Baumspage, who for some reason has the records page as it appeared in 2017.

Here's the current page as it appears on the OHSAA website, Horter credited with the 4:03.40

I assume you pulled that from Baumspage, who for some reason has the records page as it appeared in 2017.

Here's the current page as it appears on the OHSAA website, Horter credited with the 4:03.40

I didn't pull it from Baum's, but thank you for the most current list. I also was confused by Finishtiming's results page from last night http://live.finishtiming.com/meets/202100244/events/31/Final , which still shows Kennedy as the state record holder. I'm all good now.

I didn't pull it from Baum's, but thank you for the most current list. I also was confused by Finishtiming's results page from last night

The reason I assumed you got it from Baumspage was because the records you see listed on Finishtiming's results are actually provided by Baumspage, who is the actual host of all OHSAA tournament info and supplies that to the timing companies.

Chante Clinkscale. Niles McKinley
Broke the district record in the 100 and 200

0.07 seconds off the D2 state record.
100 time even faster than Paige from Mentor

*technically 5 of could not move on if they don’t get the at-large bids, but I’m going to guess both at-large bids come out of the SW this year for the 3200m.
Aren't at large bids gone this year since we are not at Jesse Owens??

D2 Marlington is so loaded for the upcoming XC season. Their returning top 5
ran 9:46, 9:51, 4:29(freshman) , 2:00 today, and the fifth was in the 8:03 4x800 Thursday.

*technically 5 of could not move on if they don’t get the at-large bids, but I’m going to guess both at-large bids come out of the SW this year for the 3200m.
Aren't at large bids gone this year since we are not at Jesse Owens??
My understanding is that they will still be handing out the 2 at-large bids. Prelims will be 3 heats of 6. A few people covered this in the “Kill the District Meet” thread.

From page 8 of the 2021 tournament regulations:

10. Qualification to State Tournament The first four individual or relay teams in each event in each regional tournament will qualify for state tournament competition. In addition, the next two (2) best times, distances, and heights statewide in each event (running and field events) will be invited to the state meet as well. See Section 11, page 4, of this document for procedures to determine qualifiers in case of ties.

D2 Marlington is so loaded for the upcoming XC season. Their returning top 5
ran 9:46, 9:51, 4:29(freshman) , 2:00 today, and the fifth was in the 8:03 4x800 Thursday.
I'd like them even more if they can find another guy or two for insurance purposes. My school has raced against them 3 times this spring. They keep coming at you with different bodies. For example, Graham didn't race a few weekends ago. It barely mattered. They plugged a different kid into those events placed just as well.

As for the topic at hand, I was pretty impressed by some performances that didn't advance. 5 guys broke 2:00 in the 800 at Norwayne. That's not too shabby for a D3 district. There were some good time coming out of D2 Salem. 4:03.35 in the girls 4x4 goes home. 1:58.99 in the boys 800 is sent packing. A 59.31 in the girls 400 and a 48.13 in the girls 300 hurdles are usually good bets to make a D2 regional. My school's girls 4x200 record which was set when the school was D2 would've been 5th in the prelims at Salem.

My nomination:

Teriana Joyner (Aiken), who according to Ohio Milesplit, threw the discus 216' 6 1/2" in the SW D2 district meet @ New Richmond.

Just a mere 18' beyond the US HS record, and only 14' behind the American Record.

Of course, I'm being extremely facetious. You can't always believe what you read in results, which the filtering software used on Milesplit, Athleticnet, and other sites don't pick up. Only humans have that ability.

THANK YOU!
From page 8 of the 2021 tournament regulations:

10. Qualification to State Tournament The first four individual or relay teams in each event in each regional tournament will qualify for state tournament competition. In addition, the next two (2) best times, distances, and heights statewide in each event (running and field events) will be invited to the state meet as well. See Section 11, page 4, of this document for procedures to determine qualifiers in case of ties.

https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/Sports/Track-Field/TFTournamentRegulations.pdf

My nomination:

Teriana Joyner (Aiken), who according to Ohio Milesplit, threw the discus 216' 6 1/2" in the SW D2 district meet @ New Richmond.

Just a mere 18' beyond the US HS record, and only 14' behind the American Record.

Of course, I'm being extremely facetious. You can't always believe what you read in results, which the filtering software used on Milesplit, Athleticnet, and other sites don't pick up. Only humans have that ability.
Both GHG timing and Baumspage have her throwing the discus 66'5", not sure where they got the 216' 6½" According to Baumspage, she finished 13th of 16th competitors, https://www.baumspage.com/tf/sw/2012/newrichmond/2/2021/Thursday Results.pdf

My understanding is that they will still be handing out the 2 at-large bids. Prelims will be 3 heats of 6. A few people covered this in the “Kill the District Meet” thread.
So if this is this case, why not go 3 heats of 8 and have 8 wildcards?
And in the distance events, where do the 2 extra competitors go if there is already 2 per lane??

I'd like them even more if they can find another guy or two for insurance purposes. My school has raced against them 3 times this spring. They keep coming at you with different bodies. For example, Graham didn't race a few weekends ago. It barely mattered. They plugged a different kid into those events placed just as well.

As for the topic at hand, I was pretty impressed by some performances that didn't advance. 5 guys broke 2:00 in the 800 at Norwayne. That's not too shabby for a D3 district. There were some good time coming out of D2 Salem. 4:03.35 in the girls 4x4 goes home. 1:58.99 in the boys 800 is sent packing. A 59.31 in the girls 400 and a 48.13 in the girls 300 hurdles are usually good bets to make a D2 regional. My school's girls 4x200 record which was set when the school was D2 would've been 5th in the prelims at Salem.
Besides Woodridge, all D2 and 3 teams need more insurance after 4 guys let alone 5. But at this moment I would say no one is very close to
Marlington

The Lady Griff's from Buchtel led by junior DaMya Barker set 4 meet records at the Salem district ( 100h, 300h, 4x2 and 4x4)