Ask the Ref?

Ouch..... this was obviously not handled properly. (and extremely disappointing that one of the other two officials did not step in and prevent this misapplication of the rules from happening)

There are two situations where a substitute may shoot free throws....

- When a player who has been fouled cannot attempt the free throws because of injury or illness
- For any Technical Foul free throws (this includes the first and/or second throws)

min both circumstances, the head coach of the shooting team makes that choice

I thought that in this situation if someone is fouled and another player is subbed in and shoots the free throw for the player that was fouled. That the player that was originally fouled cannot re-enter the game, is that correct?

I thought that in this situation if someone is fouled and another player is subbed in and shoots the free throw for the player that was fouled. That the player that was originally fouled cannot re-enter the game, is that correct?
Correct. That player cannot legally come back into the game until the ball becomes live and the clock starts legally.

In simple terms..... the player must "sit a tic"

Interesting situation last week. Late in game, a player was fouled and hurt on a play. The head coach came out to tend to his player. While he was doing that, the assistant coach sent somebody to check in to take the injured players place. The injured player stood up and the head coach then said he wanted to use a timeout to keep his player that was hurt in the game. Their opponent's head coach said first he couldn't use a timeout to keep a player in the game and if he could, another player had already checked-in for him. The officials stated that, yes he can keep a player in the game with a timeout and since the substitute hadn't entered the court, he was not officially in the game. Thoughts?

Interesting situation last week. Late in game, a player was fouled and hurt on a play. The head coach came out to tend to his player. While he was doing that, the assistant coach sent somebody to check in to take the injured players place. The injured player stood up and the head coach then said he wanted to use a timeout to keep his player that was hurt in the game. Their opponent's head coach said first he couldn't use a timeout to keep a player in the game and if he could, another player had already checked-in for him. The officials stated that, yes he can keep a player in the game with a timeout and since the substitute hadn't entered the court, he was not officially in the game. Thoughts?
In this situation, did any of the officials beckon the substitute the Asst. Coach sent to the table?

If yes, then it is too late to "buy in" the injured player.
If no, then yes, the time out allows that injured player to return to the game provided he/she is ready to play when the time out expires.

What did he gain, other then making himself look like a fool.
Like he cares. He's way beyond fool to complete hole. One of his kids followed suit - see last IU game when he and his kid charged the IU bench. The other one who plays for him has suffered from anxiety since high school and took time off this season to deal with it. Kudos to the kid. Pretty sure growing up with Fran didn't help. They play tomorrow in Bloomington btw.

You cannot equate NCAA games to High School games.

That said, in a High School game, he's gone in a country minute, whether or not he's already received a prior technical foul.

As a side note, he was ejected just 6 days prior at Northwestern.

Time to move on to questions about rules and mechanics ;)

My apologies if I have asked this at some point before...

What is your application of the three second violation? I've worked with partners that have approached this rule with strict adherence to the rule as written and no exceptions to guys who say "Nah, we don't need call that here." Usually low level or offseason games in the latter.

An approach I like philosophically is calling it when the player in the lane for more than three seconds then does something to become actively involved in the play (receiving a pass, setting an off ball screen), but even that approach has a flaw - player in the lane for more than three seconds > teammate shoots > player gets the offensive rebound. They have made an advantage by being in the lane for so long, but the count terminates when the try for goal occurs.

My apologies if I have asked this at some point before...

What is your application of the three second violation? I've worked with partners that have approached this rule with strict adherence to the rule as written and no exceptions to guys who say "Nah, we don't need call that here." Usually low level or offseason games in the latter.

An approach I like philosophically is calling it when the player in the lane for more than three seconds then does something to become actively involved in the play (receiving a pass, setting an off ball screen), but even that approach has a flaw - player in the lane for more than three seconds > teammate shoots > player gets the offensive rebound. They have made an advantage by being in the lane for so long, but the count terminates when the try for goal occurs.
The game has changed so much with the bigs on the perimeter either shooting or setting screens, that three seconds is rarely an issue. Early on, anytime I see a player not making an effort to vacate, I'm talking to that player. That usually does the trick.

If they don't listen, bust them once and all 10 get the message.

Team A inbounds after basket. They go player to player out of bounds, perfectly legal. The second player throws a pass from out of bounds that hits the padding on the bottom of the backboard. Good throw in or out of bounds?

Team A inbounds after basket. They go player to player out of bounds, perfectly legal. The second player throws a pass from out of bounds that hits the padding on the bottom of the backboard. Good throw in or out of bounds?
100% sure it hit the padding on the bottom and not the back of the backboard?

There are six sides to a backboard. Only the back side is out of bounds,

Based on your description, the ball is inbounds.

Saw a story recently about an entire student section being tossed for abusing the officials...and comments from the principal complaining that the students weren't given sufficient warning and administrators not given enough time to correct the behavior.

My question: to what extent do you have the authority to have spectators removed? Is it limited to abuse of officials, or could you have students/fans removed for abusing opposing players? What crosses the line?

Saw a story recently about an entire student section being tossed for abusing the officials
I'm assuming you are talking about the incident in Iowa.
...and comments from the principal complaining that the students weren't given sufficient warning and administrators not given enough time to correct the behavior.
Apparently, there are conflicting stories about who and when the officials asked for help.

That said, the administration is responsible for their fans' behavior. When it comes to an individual, the officials usually identify the individual and ask the administrators for help. In certain cases, that person is immediately directed to leave.

When it comes to student sections, there should be more than one administrator in the immediate vicinity of the students. There are many schools that position faculty in front of or even inside the student sections. Those schools should be commended for this.

When a large number from a section are out of line, it should be easily detected from those responsible and should not need the game officials to promt them to take action.
My question: to what extent do you have the authority to have spectators removed? Is it limited to abuse of officials, or could you have students/fans removed for abusing opposing players? What crosses the line?
When someone gets personal, profane, vulgar, or uses other slurs against a specific group, they are leaving........ period.

Dribbler drives the lane, runs into a defender, then the ball leaves his hand and goes in. One referee signals charge and the other raises both hands, seemingly ready to bring them to his hips to call a block. After a looooong discussion between the two referees, the points were allowed, but it wasn’t clear from the broadcast to whom a foul was given, if any.

1) I seldom see points allowed on a charge call. I assume if it was determined the ball left his hand before contact was made the basket should count?

2) How are these calls determined when two referees signal opposite calls?

Dribbler drives the lane, runs into a defender, then the ball leaves his hand and goes in. One referee signals charge and the other raises both hands, seemingly ready to bring them to his hips to call a block. After a looooong discussion between the two referees, the points were allowed, but it wasn’t clear from the broadcast to whom a foul was given, if any.

1) I seldom see points allowed on a charge call. I assume if it was determined the ball left his hand before contact was made the basket should count?

2) How are these calls determined when two referees signal opposite calls?
One official signals block, another official signals charge...... In the officiating world, we call this the dreaded "blarge".

When this happens, by rule, this is a double foul. Because it is a double foul and no longer a player control foul (the ball remains live), the basket counts. Both players are charged with a personal foul and play resumes at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for the opponent from anywhere along the end line.

If the basket was not successful, the alternating possession arrow would be used to resume play.

Game is in running clock mode, girl gets fouled with roughly 20-25 seconds left in the game. Players line up for the foul shots and while doing so the clock runs out. Refs call game and no FT's are shot. Now, not that it would have mattered, but thought it was odd they did not allow the FT's.

Game is in running clock mode, girl gets fouled with roughly 20-25 seconds left in the game. Players line up for the foul shots and while doing so the clock runs out. Refs call game and no FT's are shot. Now, not that it would have mattered, but thought it was odd they did not allow the FT's.
If the clock runs out at the end of the third quarter, the free throws are attempted.
If the clock runs out at the end of the fourth quarter, the game has ended and not free throws will be attempted.

That's the OHSAA regulation. It's consistent with the NFHS rule that does not allow for free throws to be attempted after time has expired unless those throws will have an impact on who wins the game or if it goes to overtime.

Ok, this happened in a college game but I don't think the rule is different. Offensive team shoots the ball, hits off the rim and the ball is going out of bounds near the corner, offensive player is going after the ball, defensive player blocks him off the ball, knocking him out of bounds. Why is this not ever called a foul? To me that's no different than a loose ball foul on a normal rebound that staying in bounds. If you're impeded from going after the ball, that should be a foul. Thoughts?

Ok, this happened in a college game but I don't think the rule is different. Offensive team shoots the ball, hits off the rim and the ball is going out of bounds near the corner, offensive player is going after the ball, defensive player blocks him off the ball, knocking him out of bounds. Why is this not ever called a foul? To me that's no different than a loose ball foul on a normal rebound that staying in bounds. If you're impeded from going after the ball, that should be a foul. Thoughts?
Blocking an opponent from getting to a loose ball is legal, if done legally ;)

Remember,each player is entitled to his/her spot on the floor. In this situation, the rules that apply to blocking and charging fouls apply.

I've seen (and personally called) fouls called in this situation..... I've also seen officials (including me) decide that the contact that occurred did not warrant a foul being assessed.

Blocking an opponent from getting to a loose ball is legal, if done legally ;)

Remember,each player is entitled to his/her spot on the floor. In this situation, the rules that apply to blocking and charging fouls apply.

I've seen (and personally called) fouls called in this situation..... I've also seen officials (including me) decide that the contact that occurred did not warrant a foul being assessed.
Agreed, but in many cases on this play, you'll see a player going for the ball who could get to it, get knocked off course with a rebounding block out move and i feel it's a foul most of the time that's rarely called. I agree, it's a judgement call. I've always felt the player, if they have a chance to acquire the basketball, should 100% of the time because you never know what the official is going to call if it goes out of bounds. Conversely, if a player tries to go through the defensive player to the ball, it should be a foul on the offensive player.

Almost saw this in the NCAA tournament...

If the ball gets stuck between the basket and the backboard or sits on top of the rim, it goes to the possession arrow. What if this happens as time expires at the end of the half? Act like nothing has happened and start the 2nd half with the alternating possession, or is it 2 possession arrow changes?

Almost saw this in the NCAA tournament...

If the ball gets stuck between the basket and the backboard or sits on top of the rim, it goes to the possession arrow. What if this happens as time expires at the end of the half? Act like nothing has happened and start the 2nd half with the alternating possession, or is it 2 possession arrow changes?
Good question.......

If time had expired, then this would be nothing more than a missed field goal attempt. This would have no effect on the alternating-ossession arrow.

I got a question and if it's been asked already forgive me. This one drives me nuts and I guess it's just the evolution of the game to being worse. Palming the ball is never called. Back when basketball was basketball you had to dribble the ball with your hand at the top of the ball and now you see players dribble from the side of the ball at best and a lot of the time from the bottom. Why is this not called anymore?