Ask the Ref?

A player gets fouled getting a defensive rebound in the double bonus situation. At the same time another player on the team that was fouled goes down with an injury away from the play. The injured player gets subbed out. Who takes the free throws?

In the game I was at tonight the officials made the player that was subbed in take the free throws. Everyone was lined up and the official made the fouled player leave the free throw line and instructed the sub to take the line. The coach was then given a technical for telling the officials that the player that was fouled should be taking the shots. Whats the explanation for making the sub take the shots?
Ouch..... this was obviously not handled properly. (and extremely disappointing that one of the other two officials did not step in and prevent this misapplication of the rules from happening)

There are two situations where a substitute may shoot free throws....

- When a player who has been fouled cannot attempt the free throws because of injury or illness
- For any Technical Foul free throws (this includes the first and/or second throws)

min both circumstances, the head coach of the shooting team makes that choice

I have to sit through all my sons Freshmen games and listen to the same two morons popping off all game about the horrible officiating (I know). Play on monday night that we have all seen a thousand times, Player A1 dives after and possesses a loose ball and consequently slid across the floor. He didn't attempt to get up or even roll around. Needless to say the officials didn't call a walk and those goofs went ballistic.
Yeah, this is a common one for the experts in the stands to get wrong. ;)

Rule 2-8-1 addresses situations where a fan(s) interrupt the game. The rule provides an avenue for officials to penalize unsporting behavior by the fans. Great caution is urged however in situations, as rare that they may be. We have to be sure that we do not unjustly penalize a team for said behavior. We also have to be 100% sure that this "fan" is actually a supporter of Team A. (might sound elementary, but I have personally witnessed the opposite..... and more recently, see the prank involving an Uber Eats driver during a recent NCAA basketball game)

In your situation, if we are certain that this individual was a supporter of Team A, then a team technical foul would be in order. In more severe cases, the awarding of points would not be out of the question.

Below is the Case Book verbiage that addresses this.

2.8.1 SITUATION: What guidelines should be exercised by the officials when spectators’ actions are such that they interfere with the administration of the game?

RULING: The rules book states “the official may rule fouls on either team if its supporters act in such a way as to interfere with the proper conduct of the game.” It is significant to note the word used is “may.” This gives permission, but does not in any way imply that officials must call technical fouls on team followers or supporters for unsporting acts. Thus, while officials do have the authority to penalize a team whose spectators interfere with the proper conduct of the game, this authority must be used with extreme caution and discretion. While the authority is there, the official must rarely use it, because experience has demonstrated that calling hasty technical fouls on the crowd rarely solves the problem and may, in fact, result in penalizing the wrong team because the official may not have proper knowledge as to which team's supporters were responsible for the unsporting act.
Thanks.

Tipped pass is flying high and probably out of bounds into the crowd. A player leaps from the court into the air, out of bounds, in an attempt to make the save before he comes down. At the same time a fan jumps from their front row seat and they both grab the ball at the same time.

What's the result?

Tipped pass is flying high and probably out of bounds into the crowd. A player leaps from the court into the air, out of bounds, in an attempt to make the save before he comes down. At the same time a fan jumps from their front row seat and they both grab the ball at the same time.

What's the result?
Have to see it to properly rule. It could be a simple out of bounds violation. It also could result in a techinical foul assessed against the opponent. (very rare occurrence)

I'm going to have a hard time assessing a technical foul on this one based on the situation you present.

At one time, wasn't it a requirement for a player who had been called for a foul to raise their arm to clearly signal that the foul was on them? I'm thinking a technical foul was called if the player didn't.

At one time, wasn't it a requirement for a player who had been called for a foul to raise their arm to clearly signal that the foul was on them? I'm thinking a technical foul was called if the player didn't.
Not only was the penalty a technical foul for failing the fouling player to raise their hand in a timely manner, it was a technical foul to raise or drop their hand in a way that exhibited disgust or dismay toward the offficial and/or the call.

That requirement was rescinded by rule in 1974. (although it was still required by many states into the mid 80's)

Not only was the penalty a technical foul for failing the fouling player to raise their hand in a timely manner, it was a technical foul to raise or drop their hand in a way that exhibited disgust or dismay toward the offficial and/or the call.

That requirement was rescinded by rule in 1974. (although it was still required by many states into the mid 80's)
Subsequently the rule was replaced with this mutiple variations of this...
Memphis Grizzlies Sport GIF by Mountain Dew

Kenan Thompson Nbc GIF by Saturday Night Live

Comedy Stoolscenes2 GIF by Barstool Sports

As L bounces the ball to A15 on the FT line for 2nd of 2, A-HC requests a timeout. T shakes his head and allows the FT to continue.

Given that her player had possession, I was confused why T would not grant A-HC's timeout request. Is there a rule preventing a timeout in this situation that I'm unaware of?

As L bounces the ball to A15 on the FT line for 2nd of 2, A-HC requests a timeout. T shakes his head and allows the FT to continue.

Given that her player had possession, I was confused why T would not grant A-HC's timeout request. Is there a rule preventing a timeout in this situation that I'm unaware of?
The request should have been granted for the reason you cited. (player control)

Graduated from an Iowa high school in 1987. We always had to acknowledge the foul was called on us.

Team 1 is in the bonus & Team 2 is not. There is a double-foul called away from the ball. How does the game continue? In the game I was watching the officials let Team 1 shoot their 1 & 1 free throws.

Team 1 is in the bonus & Team 2 is not. There is a double-foul called away from the ball. How does the game continue? In the game I was watching the officials let Team 1 shoot their 1 & 1 free throws.
Incorrect

After a double foul, the ball is put back into play at the point of interruption using one of three methods.

- A throw-in to the team that was in control at an out-of-bounds spot nearest to where the ball was located when the interruption occurred.
- A free throw or a throw-in when the interruption occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such.
- A jump ball or alternating-possession throw-in when neither team is in control and no goal, infraction, nor end of quarter/extra period is involved when the game is interrupted.

Free throws are never a result because of the double foul.

Ouch..... this was obviously not handled properly. (and extremely disappointing that one of the other two officials did not step in and prevent this misapplication of the rules from happening)

There are two situations where a substitute may shoot free throws....

- When a player who has been fouled cannot attempt the free throws because of injury or illness
- For any Technical Foul free throws (this includes the first and/or second throws)

min both circumstances, the head coach of the shooting team makes that choice
Almost this exact scenario happened during a JV game I was at this past weekend and cost Team A the game.

Player 1 on Team A got rocked by an elbow to the face by a player on Team B. Refs called an intentional foul. Player 1 was bleeding and thus not able to shoot the 2 intentional foul shots.
Coach of Team A subbed a new player in but the refs had a player already on the court shoot the shots. He made 1 & missed 1.

2 minutes of game time later & it’s the break between the 3rd & 4th qtr. Coach of Team B is complaining that they had the wrong player shoot the FT’s and the refs ACTUALLY TOOK THE POINT OFF OF THE BOARD. No reshoots, just stripped Team A of a point after 2 minutes of game-time had passed. I’ve never seen anything like that in 40+ years of watching basketball before.

Game went to OT on a made last second shot by Team B and Team A ended up losing.

Saw this last night in the Dayton-St. Bonaventure game.

A1 shooting from the corner. B1 is behind A1 with both feet out of bounds. B1 jumps while out of bounds (both feet now off the ground) and blocks the shot from behind. Ball contacts A1's head and goes out of bounds.

Ruling - B gets possession, and this was confirmed after video review.

Does B have to establish position inbounds before making any contact?

Saw this last night in the Dayton-St. Bonaventure game.

A1 shooting from the corner. B1 is behind A1 with both feet out of bounds. B1 jumps while out of bounds (both feet now off the ground) and blocks the shot from behind. Ball contacts A1's head and goes out of bounds.

Ruling - B gets possession, and this was confirmed after video review.

Does B have to establish position inbounds before making any contact?
At what point in the game was this ? How much time was on the clock?

Under two minutes left in the second half, about the 1:30 mark.
While the player was still out of bounds by rule, replay cannot be used to detect prior violations. It can only be used to affirm or overturn the call that was made on the floor.

In this situation the call being reviewed was whether or not the ball last touched A1 player before going out of bounds. That's all they can look at. Any violation that happened prior is not subject to review.

While the player was still out of bounds by rule, replay cannot be used to detect prior violations. It can only be used to affirm or overturn the call that was made on the floor.

In this situation the call being reviewed was whether or not the ball last touched A1 player before going out of bounds. That's all they can look at. Any violation that happened prior is not subject to review.
Was this an illegal touch by B1?

Team A makes a FG. B1 grabs the ball, jumps off both feet which are completely in-bounds toward out-of-bounds. Before any foot, or other part of the body, touches out-of-bounds he turns and passes the ball to B2 who begins dribbling down the court.

What is the call?

Maybe a silly question but when are the refs supposed to come out onto the floor to observe warmups and do their pregame routine at the scorer's table?

I ask because at one of our games recently I saw the refs start to walk into the gym and onto the floor but then stopped by the doors and I saw them looking at the clock. They stayed there for a few minutes and then took their spots around 15 mins left in warmups. I thought that was maybe the right time but then of course in a later game the refs (different ones) were on the floor with about 18 minutes left in warmups.

These types of protocols I always find interesting. I mean...it's warmups. I already have my seat, my drink, etc. What else am I going to do? Lol

Maybe a silly question but when are the refs supposed to come out onto the floor to observe warmups and do their pregame routine at the scorer's table?

I ask because at one of our games recently I saw the refs start to walk into the gym and onto the floor but then stopped by the doors and I saw them looking at the clock. They stayed there for a few minutes and then took their spots around 15 mins left in warmups. I thought that was maybe the right time but then of course in a later game the refs (different ones) were on the floor with about 18 minutes left in warmups.

These types of protocols I always find interesting. I mean...it's warmups. I already have my seat, my drink, etc. What else am I going to do? Lol
NFHS Rules dictate that the officials should be on the floor 15 minutes prior to the tip.

It's perfectly acceptable (in my opinion it's preferrable) to have the officials on the floor when the teams arrive on the floor.

NFHS Rules dictate that the officials should be on the floor 15 minutes prior to the tip.

It's perfectly acceptable (in my opinion it's preferrable) to have the officials on the floor when the teams arrive on the floor.

Are there situations where a technical foul can be assessed during the warm up period aside from dunking? I am thinking of Team A coming out to warm up from one end of the floor and encountering Team B's cheerleaders, who are lining up for their "We (clap) are (clap) THE (clap) BEST (clap)" cheer that precedes their team coming out onto the floor. I have seen this multiple times this season and the boys usually stop the layup line or alter their approach to give the girls room. What if they don't? Let's say they purposely dribble through the cheerleaders and "accidentally" bump into a couple, or throw an errant chest pass that catches one in the back of the head? What if they've been out on the floor for a couple of minutes already and the girls take their spots and impede their warmup?

Also, are technical fouls for dunking charged to the player? Can a player be ejected from a game before it starts if he decides to do his best Dominique Wilkins impression? Finally, what constitutes a "dunk" in this scenario. Rim grab? Hanging on the rim a little? Does a missed dunk count?

Are there situations where a technical foul can be assessed during the warm up period aside from dunking?
Yes
I am thinking of Team A coming out to warm up from one end of the floor and encountering Team B's cheerleaders, who are lining up for their "We (clap) are (clap) THE (clap) BEST (clap)" cheer that precedes their team coming out onto the floor. I have seen this multiple times this season and the boys usually stop the layup line or alter their approach to give the girls room. What if they don't?
Once a team is on the floor, the opponent, including the cheerleaders have no business being on the court on their side of the division line.
Let's say they purposely dribble through the cheerleaders and "accidentally" bump into a couple, or throw an errant chest pass that catches one in the back of the head?
This could result in a technical foul assessed against the guilty party(ies). It also could be ruled flagrant causing the automatic ejection of the guilty party(ies). It also could be nothing more than a "talk to"....

Would have to see the whole event to make a decision on this.
What if they've been out on the floor for a couple of minutes already and the girls take their spots and impede their warmup?
See above, the girls have no business being on that end of the floor after a team has arrived.
Also, are technical fouls for dunking charged to the player? Can a player be ejected from a game before it starts if he decides to do his best Dominique Wilkins impression?
Yes.

If a player dunks or attempts to dunk in the pregame, a technical foul is charged to him/her. It is also assessed to the head coach as an indirect technical foul. That coach loses his/her coaching box for the entire game.

The technical foul is a team foul and counts against the guilty player's total of 5 personal and technical fouls for the purposes of disqualification.
Finally, what constitutes a "dunk" in this scenario. Rim grab? Hanging on the rim a little? Does a missed dunk count?
Rule 4- 16 Dunking

"Dunking is the driving, forcing, pushing or attempting to force a ball through the basket with the hand(s)."

Whether or not the dunk was successful is irrelevant.

Once a team is on the floor, the opponent, including the cheerleaders have no business being on the court on their side of the division line.
This must be a game management ‘thing’ that seldom works out well, as teams in my area routinely have to cross the division line to get to their side of the court at entrance.

Fortunately, common sense prevails here, as the teams always delay the start of their layup line to accommodate the other team.

This must be a game management ‘thing’ that seldom works out well, as teams in my area routinely have to cross the division line to get to their side of the court at entrance.

Fortunately, common sense prevails here, as the teams always delay the start of their layup line to accommodate the other team.
It’s very easy to come out of the locker room, run up the sideline and then onto the court in your side of the division line……

Years ago, teams were circling the court in an unsporting attempt to intimidate or taunt their opponents…. The state stepped in and put a stop to that practice very quickly

Yes

This could result in a technical foul assessed against the guilty party(ies). It also could be ruled flagrant causing the automatic ejection of the guilty party(ies). It also could be nothing more than a "talk to"....

Would have to see the whole event to make a decision on this.

See above, the girls have no business being on that end of the floor after a team has arrived.

Yes.

If a player dunks or attempts to dunk in the pregame, a technical foul is charged to him/her. It is also assessed to the head coach as an indirect technical foul. That coach loses his/her coaching box for the entire game.

The
technical foul is a team foul and counts against the guilty player's total of 5 personal and technical fouls for the purposes of disqualification.

Rule 4- 16 Dunking

"Dunking is the driving, forcing, pushing or attempting to force a ball through the basket with the hand(s)."

Whether or not the dunk was successful is irrelevant.
So that means a total of two technical fouls are charged?

So that means a total of two technical fouls are charged?
If cheerleaders somehow decide to set up a "tunnel" on the opponent's side of the floor, while the opponent is on the floor the officials should be stepping in and start shooing them away. (It's one of the reasons why, in my opinion, we should be on the floor prior to the 15 minute mark that the rule dictates)

If they refuse and their team comes out and runs that tunnel..... then one team technical foul should be assessed for the unsporting act.

Depending on the situation, if an individual player goes beyond the act of running through that tunnel and the opposing team, say for instance, he/she taunts an opponent with his/her words or actions, an additional technical foul would be in order.....

Again, if the officials are doing their jobs, they can prevent most of this from happening..... and please note, this is not intened to say that the teams or the tunnel are violating by being a foot or two on the court in the corner or up the sideline. It's also not intended to suggest that if the opponent is not on the floor, then this type of action is to be penalized.

Last edited: