Ask the Ref?

Follow up question...

I am aware that you can dress only 15 for a tournament game. Can you switch out those 15 players from one tournament game to the next as long as all potential players are on the eligibility list that is submitted prior to the start of the tournament?
They can change from game to game, but they must all be on the eligibility list that's submitted to the tournament manager.

When this happens late in a game, the reason becomes obvious.....

Assess a Technical Foul to the guilty party. Even if there has bee no prior Delay of Game warning issued to that player's team.

- Technical Foul against the guilty player
- Delay of Game warning (if not issued prior)
- Award the opponent 2 FTs
- Opponent awarded a throw-in at the division line opposite the scorer's table.
We had this exact situation happen in a girls game three years ago. Visiting team made a 3 and after the ball dropped through the hoop, a visiting team player grabbed the ball and held it, turned her back to the basket, and stood in the middle of the key. There was a delay of game warning issued, but no technical assessed.

We had this exact situation happen in a girls game three years ago. Visiting team made a 3 and after the ball dropped through the hoop, a visiting team player grabbed the ball and held it, turned her back to the basket, and stood in the middle of the key. There was a delay of game warning issued, but no technical assessed.
At what point of the game (time/quarter/score) did this happen?

Less than a minute to go in the game. Not entirely sure, but I think we (the home team) were up by 3 at the time. Or something like that.
Lots of variables to consider....

Closer to a minute remaining
Score
Time Outs remaining

All play a part in this....

It could be a simple delay of game warning..... or it could be the Technical Foul scenario mentioned above,

Lots of variables to consider....

Closer to a minute remaining
Score
Time Outs remaining

All play a part in this....

It could be a simple delay of game warning..... or it could be the Technical Foul scenario mentioned above,
They didn't have any left. That's why they did it.

2.0 seconds left in regulation, Team A at the line up 1, with a foul to give. Player misses FT, Team B rebounds near elbow. As player turns with less than 1 second to throw the ball, Player from Team A gives foul with .3 on the clock. Call was 3 FT. I remember reading in an NHSF case book that desperation heaves beyond HOF court were not to be considered fouls but cannot find my copy. Anyone weigh in if this is still the case?
BTW, all 3 FT missed and Team A won in a “ball don’t lie,” moment!

2.0 seconds left in regulation, Team A at the line up 1, with a foul to give. Player misses FT, Team B rebounds near elbow. As player turns with less than 1 second to throw the ball, Player from Team A gives foul with .3 on the clock. Call was 3 FT. I remember reading in an NHSF case book that desperation heaves beyond HOF court were not to be considered fouls but cannot find my copy. Anyone weigh in if this is still the case?
The Rule Book doesn't lie either..........There is nothing in the NFHS Rule Book that mentions desperation heaves.

A player is either in the act of shooting or he/she isn't. In this case down three with little time remaining, that "heave" is an attempt for a try for a goal.

Sounds like the correct call.

Last edited:
Everyone wants to blame the officials for making these types of calls - but a shot/try for goal is the same on every inch of the court. If there was no foul, and the shot miraculously went in - the bucket would have counted right?! Then why shouldn't it have been a shooting foul?!

Player A has the ball and is holding it inside half court. Player B is guarding them and moves close enough to get the 5 second count. Player A starts dribbling but only moves Across the court and never goes toward the basket. Meanwhile player B continues to guard the whole time. Would the 5 second count continue on player A? I’ve seen some where it seems the count continues until they make a move toward the basket, or creates space from the defender and then I’ve seen others where as soon as the player dribbles the count stops.

Player A has the ball and is holding it inside half court. Player B is guarding them and moves close enough to get the 5 second count. Player A starts dribbling but only moves Across the court and never goes toward the basket. Meanwhile player B continues to guard the whole time. Would the 5 second count continue on player A? I’ve seen some where it seems the count continues until they make a move toward the basket, or creates space from the defender and then I’ve seen others where as soon as the player dribbles the count stops.
For a dribbling player.......

The count ends when the offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player or the defender is no longer within 6 feet (and in front of) the player in control.

Can you play with 3 players on the court?

I want to say you can play with 4, but can you with 3? Curious as a local team was down to 4, with 2 having 4 fouls. (fun fact, they were losing by 3, with 2 min to go, and 4 players and ended up winning.

For a dribbling player.......

The count ends when the offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player or the defender is no longer within 6 feet (and in front of) the player in control.
The count restarts when the player goes from holding the ball to dribbling. So if the count was at 4 seconds while holding it, it starts back over when the ball is put on the floor assuming that defender maintained defense that would fall into the closely guarded rules, then restarts again if the offense picks the ball up to hold it again. So effective, the offense can be closely guarded without interruption for 12 seconds with no penalty.

Can you play with 3 players on the court?

I want to say you can play with 4, but can you with 3? Curious as a local team was down to 4, with 2 having 4 fouls. (fun fact, they were losing by 3, with 2 min to go, and 4 players and ended up winning.
You must begin with 5, but a team can play with one if the Referee believes that the team with one player still has an opportunity to win the game.

Rule 3-1-1

You must begin with 5, but a team can play with one if the Referee believes that the team with one player still has an opportunity to win the game.

Rule 3-1-1
Interesting, I thought the rule required 2 players - was thinking on inbound situations, the team down to 1 player wouldn't legally be able to inbound a ball....but I guess they could legally do it if they threw the ball off a defender every time.....but the defense would surely wise up to that after the first 1 or 2 times....

No questions today, just want to give a shout out to all the officials who are on this thread and thank you for your service. There is very few people today who are publicly criticized more than officials, all levels. I'm continually amazed as I sit as games the behavior of many who are good, well meaning parents and grandparents. Once the whistle blows and the ball goes up, they turn into snarky, nasty souls who feel players and coaches never make mistakes, but officials do??

My philosophy is very simple, there are dozens and dozens of situations in games where a team has a chance to affect the outcome, mostly through making or missing shots, turnovers and poor decisions. Don't blame the officials when bad things happen. It's a cop out.

Strange one and not sure how it would be called.

Offensive player is thrown a pass as they are crossing into the front court. Player lands in the front court on their toes with both feet (was trying to pass but held onto the ball). After about a second, puts the back heel down which is on the halfcourt line.

It happened in such slow motion that everyone was screaming for a backcourt violation. Not sure which way it should go as the heel never touched in the front court and simply came straight down, just with a visible amount of time passing.

And another quick one. Offense has the ball in the back court near the FT line and is intentionally fouled late in the game. Whistle as the ball is released to teammate at midcourt. That offensive player dribbles 4-5 times and dunks the ball on the other end with no action. Is this a no-call or an unsportsmanlike technical foul?

Strange one and not sure how it would be called.

Offensive player is thrown a pass as they are crossing into the front court. Player lands in the front court on their toes with both feet (was trying to pass but held onto the ball). After about a second, puts the back heel down which is on the halfcourt line.

It happened in such slow motion that everyone was screaming for a backcourt violation. Not sure which way it should go as the heel never touched in the front court and simply came straight down, just with a visible amount of time passing.
Once his heels hit the division line he has committed an backcourt violation.

And another quick one. Offense has the ball in the back court near the FT line and is intentionally fouled late in the game. Whistle as the ball is released to teammate at midcourt. That offensive player dribbles 4-5 times and dunks the ball on the other end with no action. Is this a no-call or an unsportsmanlike technical foul?
Dunking a dead ball is a technical foul by rule. ( there are some exceptions based on the play.... this play does not meet those exceptions)

Here's how we proceed in this situation.....

The A player that was fouled will shoot 2 free throws for being fouled intentionally. After those two attempts, we will go to the other end of the floor and any player(s) from Team B will shoot 2 free throws for the technical foul. B will then be awarded a throw-in at the division line opposite the scorer's table.

Two questions:

1. Dunking at halftime of the JV game by the varsity team while they shoot around. A tech? Thing is, an official is NEVER out by then, but what if the varsity officials are there and just watching the JV, out of uniform?

2. Ejections. Will their always be free throws involved? Just trying to determine if a kid was tossed, or just benched, after an incident.

Thanks in advance.

Two questions:

1. Dunking at halftime of the JV game by the varsity team while they shoot around. A tech? Thing is, an official is NEVER out by then, but what if the varsity officials are there and just watching the JV, out of uniform?
No. The varsity officials have no jurisdiction over what happens in the JV game.

Anyway, non participants dunking at halftime is just that.... Non participants dunking at halftime. If game administration allows it, they allow it. Just as they allow a group of acrobats to dunk during a performance.
2. Ejections. Will their always be free throws involved? Just trying to determine if a kid was tossed, or just benched, after an incident.

Thanks in advance.
Not always.

If it was one ejection with no other penalties to opponents, then yes. There are other circumstances that could cause the FT's to cancel each other.

Something I saw in a game last night that I’ve been wondering about. Game is tied in the final seconds, players takes a 3 at the buzzer and is fouled. They go to line with no time left on the clock and the score tied. If they make the first free throw do they still shoot the second two?

Not i
Something I saw in a game last night that I’ve been wondering about. Game is tied in the final seconds, players takes a 3 at the buzzer and is fouled. They go to line with no time left on the clock and the score tied. If they make the first free throw do they still shoot the second two?
Not in high school.

Adding to zebrastripes' answer.....

In a similar similar situation, if the team is behind 3 points when this foul occurs and the first free throw is unsuccessful, the remaining shots will not be attempted.

Adding to zebrastripes' answer.....

In a similar similar situation, if the team is behind 3 points when this foul occurs and the first free throw is unsuccessful, the remaining shots will not be attempted.
That makes sense. So once the first free throw is made the game is over and no more attempts are made?

Watching Oklahoma State and Texas. A shot bounced high off the rim and came down on the top of the backboard and rebounded into the playing area and play continued. I had always thought that would be ruled out of bounds.

Watching Oklahoma State and Texas. A shot bounced high off the rim and came down on the top of the backboard and rebounded into the playing area and play continued. I had always thought that would be ruled out of bounds.
The top edge of the backboard is inbounds just like the other three edges. Anything else “above” the backboard (supports, wires, shot clocks) is out of bounds.

This may have been answered before. A shot is taken, but fails to touch backboard, basket, even the net. Whoever catches it, do they get credit for a rebound?