Are you a true West Sider??

Congrats to the Mazza Family of Mack for being featured earlier today during FoxSports NFL Pregame Show re: Mazza Annual Turkey Bowl game. Video was taped @ the Pit a couple weeks back.

So a guy I know that hung out at the Main told me that a place called Kitchen 1883 is going in there. They were willing to sign a long term lease where the Main was doing two years at a time. Looks like they have other locations around the area:

Since this was heard in a bar it is slightly more believable than what you read on the internet.

I saw this photo shared on Facebook. It’s a shot of Glenway and Rutledge in 1947.
1701275734115.png

I know I've posted this before, but here's a very similar view of two street cars passing one another in this location. Possibly taken just moments apart? The billboard above Wolff Drugs appears to be the same and one of the cars parked facing westbound might to be the same.

1701304779546.png

I know I've posted this before, but here's a very similar view of two street cars passing one another in this location. Possibly taken just moments apart? The billboard above Wolff Drugs appears to be the same and one of the cars parked facing westbound might to be the same.

View attachment 50627
Great pic. But the Carson School clock is missing in the second photo.
Mr Wolff was Elder’s first Valedictorian.

All of the buildings still stand today except for the clock tower at the old Carson School. I also wonder if you dug deep enough if those streetcar tracks are buried beneath the pavement.
Sorry. Didn’t see your post about the clock. Wonder what year Carson was built?

Great pic. But the Carson School clock is missing in the second photo.
Good eye. I thought maybe it was just because the second photo was taken from a different perspective than the first and that one of the buildings is blocking the view of the clock tower, but in this Google Streetview from 2007 you can still see the clock tower from the old building from a similar vantage point.

The demolishing of the old Carson School was a disgrace. Look at other CPS schools that were enlarged and upgraded during the same time. Most of the historic old schools were added to and upgraded without destroying the historic facades. Carson was a classic Collegiate Gothic building (like Elder and Hughes) surrounded by 90 year old shade trees. All torn down, while the WPHCC at the time just sat back and said nothing. So sad and so avoidable. We could have still had a 21st century school building with a beautiful historic facade surrounded by large healthy shade trees.

Total disgrace.

In case you missed it: The Thanksgiving Day Parade went off beautifully. The great weather helped but people were anxious to attend after a three year hiatus. The sidewalks were full nearly the whole length of the route. The parade participants and organizers could not have done a better job and, of course, Elder and Seton shined with their participation.

Attended my first parade in 1956 and Elder and West Hi played in “the city championship “ since both teams won their leagues that year. The West Hi band seemed like a quarter mile long. It topped any opening day parade ever.
So glad to see it alive again.

All of the buildings still stand today except for the clock tower at the old Carson School. I also wonder if you dug deep enough if those streetcar tracks are buried beneath the pavement.
Yes those street car rails are buried under the black top. The rails are attached in granite block to help support the weight of the streetcars.

Attended my first parade in 1956 and Elder and West Hi played in “the city championship “ since both teams won their leagues that year. The West Hi band seemed like a quarter mile long. It topped any opening day parade ever.
So glad to see it alive again.
The situation at West Hi is very sad. They once had a very good marching band. About seven years ago someone tried to revive it and at that year's parade twenty or so kids in shopworn maroon and cream band uniforms marched in the parade. That was the last we had seen of them. Kids have to work real hard to get a decent education at West Hi. It is a bit easier to do so at Dater High School located in the old trade school behind West Hi's main building. CPS sold that whole Dater thing as it was going to be the "Westside Walnut Hills". What a farce! They then used it to concentrate all of their non-English speaking students there. Gamble is a bit better and is a good fit for the old Mercy campus.

The situation at West Hi is very sad. They once had a very good marching band. About seven years ago someone tried to revive it and at that year's parade twenty or so kids in shopworn maroon and cream band uniforms marched in the parade. That was the last we had seen of them. Kids have to work real hard to get a decent education at West Hi. It is a bit easier to do so at Dater High School located in the old trade school behind West Hi's main building. CPS sold that whole Dater thing as it was going to be the "Westside Walnut Hills". What a farce! They then used it to concentrate all of their non-English speaking students there. Gamble is a bit better and is a good fit for the old Mercy campus.
Agree. I grew up on Prosperity with West Hi in my back yard. It was a proud and vibrant and beautiful school. I truly believe that CPS’s failure to build a stadium north of the campus was one of the major reasons for the decline. I know sports is not everything but it is an important focal point for student pride and congregation. Playing at Trechter Stadium for a Friday night home game while Walnut, Withrow,Woodword and now Taft had stadiums is in my opinion proof that West Hi got the short end of the stick. The band aid they have tried across the street on Ferguson and the Roeising attempt to build on the baseball field were too late. Then in the late 60’s good student athletes who lived in certain areas in the city limits were allowed to transfer to Oak Hills and the exodus was on.

There were rumors that Olive Garden would be built on this site, however in May 2023 General Electric Credit Union bought 3 parcels of land—Chevelle’s, the old house and where the cell phone tower is—for $1,575,000. I assume that means there will be a new GECU branch built there. The three parcels are about 1.1 acres in total so there probably won’t be room for much else.
There is now a sign at the site confirming there will be a branch of the credit union built there.

One of the biggest eye sores in Delhi is now gone, Funky Dunks torn down. Not sure what you can put in it's place being so far off the main drag.

I can't for the life of me understand how Funky Dunks went under. There was nothing like it around. The batting cages were really nice, had arcade games for every age set. I feel like it should have made a fortune.

I can't for the life of me understand how Funky Dunks went under. There was nothing like it around. The batting cages were really nice, had arcade games for every age set. I feel like it should have made a fortune.
Batting cages, basketball courts, all kinds of arcade games and that giant jungle gym play area. I think it probably did well in the 90s and early 2000s, but there's probably not nearly as many young families in Delhi as there was back then. Coupled with the rise of technology and kids being glued to phones/iPads/tablets, I can see why it petered out. It's surprising that places like Scene 75 are able to survive, but, admittedly, never been.