Are you a true West Sider??

Pete Rose's restaurant was on Westbourne and Johnny Bench's Home Plate was at the Northgate Mall. Two seperate restaurants.
My Grandfather used to talk about baseball games played behind the Crows Nest. He said professional baseball games were played there.
I remember Elder guys driving through the open walkway that used to be to the right side of Rapid Run LaRosas.
Current Elder students get upset when they are told we used to have pep rallys every Friday!

AZElder said:
Wasn't there a Daily Doughnuts at the bottom of the hill behind Western Woods Mall/Plazza where a Barleycorns used to be? It was a Burbanks for a while too.

It was also the Blue Moon Saloon for a while in the 80's too. They had the best nachos around.

BTW, has anyone noticed that most of these places revolve around food? :laugh:

"It was also the Blue Moon Saloon for a while in the 80's too. They had the best nachos around.

BTW, has anyone noticed that most of these places revolve around food?"

Wasn't the Blue Moon Sallon at the old Lincoln Mercury dealership on Parkcrest?The daily doughnuts was where Fazollis and Wendys was/are.

wrigley said:
"Wasn't there a Daily Doughnuts at the bottom of the hill behind Western Woods Mall/Plazza where a Barleycorns used to be? It was a Burbanks for a while too."

Back in the day, it was Bob Pulte Chevolet. Which also was in th same loacation as the Red Lobster is.

The dealership moved to Harrison and is now occupied by the Green Township Adminstration/Police/Fire.

wrigley said:
Wasn't the Blue Moon Sallon at the old Lincoln Mercury dealership on Parkcrest?The daily doughnuts was where Fazollis and Wendys was/are.

I barely remember the car dealership on Parkcrest but you are definitely correct about daily doughnuts. I remember going there a few times with my dad.

99BOB said:
Back in the day, it was Bob Pulte Chevolet. Which also was in th same loacation as the Red Lobster is.

The dealership moved to Harrison and is now occupied by the Green Township Adminstration/Police/Fire.

I don't remember the name but there was a car dealership on Parkcrest as well as the one where Red Lobster is.

Elder Alum said:
Current Elder students get upset when they are told we used to have pep rallys every Friday!
You mean that don't have them anymore!? :eek: Why not? Man, that stinks. The best skit I remember was Panther Man (Willie) flying into the Pit in a helicopter. He saved the day by retrieving the Elder playbook back from the Moeller guys. Classic.

WILLIE .. WILLIE .. WILLIE ..

The helicopter skit with Pantherman, man that was classic. That made the evening news that day.

There were few people that could get the crowd fired up like Willie. Even after he left Elder I remember him coming back out of the crowd a few times and leading the sheering section in a few cheers.

Willie, boy that brings back memories. :clap:

Me and my brother had this conversation last night. We were trying to remember where the railroad tracks ran thru WH. I know they ran along Queen City Ave crossing over Guerly rd, behind Dunham and West Hi, under the Ferguson rd Bridge. It then ran along Glenway behinds Swallen's. From there, my memory gets foggy. Did it run under Werk rd. near where Toys-r-Us is now and cut over Glenway by Westbourne and run along Glenway by where Mar-Fab lumber used to be? It crossed over at bridgetown and glenway. Wasn't there a tall tressel somewhere on Glenway? Please help:help:

Jteegardner said:
Willie, boy that brings back memories. :clap:

Me and my brother had this conversation last night. We were trying to remember where the railroad tracks ran thru WH. I know they ran along Queen City Ave crossing over Guerly rd, behind Dunham and West Hi, under the Ferguson rd Bridge. It then ran along Glenway behinds Swallen's. From there, my memory gets foggy. Did it run under Werk rd. near where Toys-r-Us is now and cut over Glenway by Westbourne and run along Glenway by where Mar-Fab lumber used to be? It crossed over at bridgetown and glenway. Wasn't there a tall tressel somewhere on Glenway? Please help:help:
anybody got any pics of this stuff they could post? It would be cool to get a visual reference point. Altiora, this is my pick for the best thread ever, and it has nothing to do with HS sports, but man this stuff is cool. You kid me about the jealousy thing, but the truth is like lotr said in a thread on the general board, I really respect you guys a lot for all the tradition that comes from your school, your community, all of it. And history is a bit of a hobby of mine too, so all these stories of the older days are good stuff for me. Thanks for starting the ball rolling here!

I have to put this thread up there as one of the best ever. although Barbarians at the Gate was pretty good.

I said it before, but does anyone remember Bushies (sp) around Phillips Swim Club? There was the old woman in there that would tell how much money you had left to spend at the penny candy table with stuff like Swedish Fish and jawbreakers. You could walk out of there with a feast for a quarter. If you really wanted to splurge you got a pop and/or big candy bar out of the fridge.

How about the pond at Neeb and Muddy Creek that is now some type of pumping station.

AZElder said:
I have to put this thread up there as one of the best ever. although Barbarians at the Gate was pretty good.

I said it before, but does anyone remember Bushies (sp) around Phillips Swim Club? There was the old woman in there that would tell how much money you had left to spend at the penny candy table with stuff like Swedish Fish and jawbreakers. You could walk out of there with a feast for a quarter. If you really wanted to splurge you got a pop and/or big candy bar out of the fridge.

How about the pond at Neeb and Muddy Creek that is now some type of pumping station.

I remember the two ladies. One was tall and thin with those old lady rimmed glasses and the other was bigger but not fat. One I believe was the sister of the owner. My sister used to live around the corner on the street where the entrance to Phillips is.

Does anybody have a recollection of the train route I referred to earlier?

Did anybody go ice skating at the pond at the end of Ralph ave where it meets Colonial dr. If I remember right, we used to call it the Schott pond.

I whole heartily agree this is a great post because sometimes we get caught up in our jobs, daily stress and other anxieties, we forget to remember our youth and simplier times. Thanks :thumb: :clap: :thumb:

AZElder said:
Kids today are so spoiled. I remember when a can of pop and a big candy bar from out of the freezer was like manna from heaven! It wasn't anything real complex, but it was a treat!

Good point HC.

I know we could start a whole another thread on this alone, but how about the old Elder-West Hi Thanksgiving Day games. I remember the ones down at Riverfront. Does anyone remember going to the Pirates Den aftward? My dad and his friends would go there after the game and take us kids with them. We would play video games while the grown ups hung out and had a few beers before going home for dinner.

AZElder said:
My dad and his friends would go there after the game and take us kids with them. We would play video games while the grown ups hung out and had a few beers before going home for dinner.
In a similar memory I remember my parents playing in mixed couples bowling at Western Bowl. My brother and I would go and play video games, watch TV and run around the joint having fun. Ahhh good times. :)

"Does anybody have a recollection of the train route I referred to earlier?"

You had it right. I think you stopped at Marfab lumber. The tracks went along that hill parallel to Glenway and crossed the intersection of Glenway, Bridgetown and Race on the bridge. They the went between Bridgetown and harrison and there were bridges at Hutchinson and at Rybolt near the intersection of Wesselman. I remember people saying that you could ride the tracks to Harrison. Somone went off of one of the bridges on Glenway near Wetbourne whike riding a motorcycle and was killed.

One place that I think is exactly the same as it was when I was a kid in the 70's is the Western Rollerama. I went to a skating party with my kids last year and thought I was in a time warp. It still looks and smells the same.

Western Bowl has plenty of memories. Doc Holiday's was the place to be on weekends to find out who was having the party on Friday's and Saturday's. One of my first jobs was as a bus boy at the old Cheyane (sp) Social Club resturant.

Getting lumber or hardware at Swallens. That place was ancient. Or going to the Swallen's Annex for carpet.

How about Bruno's Pizza? Or the Old Western Hills Car Wash which is now a drive thru. Does anyone remember Schwiers (sp) drive through across from the old drive in by the Pirates Den? How about Don Hattings (sp) original grocery store up the street from that on Sydney.

Has anyone ever eaten at the Proud Rooster on Glenway near Oskamps? I drove past there today and was thinking that place has been around forever and I don't know of anyone who has ever gone there. Is it like the Window Garden Restaurant in Cheviot used to be, you had to be older than 75 years old to go in?

If you have been there please give us a report on the quality. Thanks.

wrigley said:
One place that I think is exactly the same as it was when I was a kid in the 70's is the Western Rollerama. I went to a skating party with my kids last year and thought I was in a time warp. It still looks and smells the same.

You are absolutely right about this. When I walked in there for one of my kids skating parties I started to look for the girl I used to chase around the rink when I was in the 8th grade. :D :laugh:

(I never did catch her, she was much better on skates than I was and she definitely used it to her advantage! :D :laugh: )

OK, I don't post much, but I have to jump in on this one!

Who remembers when they would paint the windows of all the stores along Glenway from Prouts Corner to the west at Halloween with different Halloween themes? I think I remember them giving out first, second, and third prizes to the best.

Me and my bro grew up on the street next to Covedale Theater. I don't think I paid for a movie from about the time I was 10 on. We would send my brother (a big poster on this board who I won't mention by name, but the hint is "What time is it?") into the front door crying that he left his hat inside. They would let him into the theater and he would open the back door for us to sneak in.

Going thru the post, here are some memories they brought up:
I saw my first b**bie at the Dirty Dent in some cheerleader movie. I remember sneeking into the Auto In by driving in the exit with the headlights off. Buffalo Ridge! Man, I could drive that road with my eyes closed back in the day. How I didn't die on that road in a firey crash still amazes me. Hitching Post had a sandwich called the Texas Burger or something like that. The hamburger was the size of my head. The sign for the Greek restaraunt is a Basken Robbins sign painted over. I also remember being so afraid of Delhi cops that we would never go there. Buschie's was run by George and his sister. George was a Past Grand Knight at Purcell K of C and a good man. Old man Bruno was a thief! He would rip off kids their change when they bought candy there. I remember running home crying because I didn't get change back from my quarter (alot of money back then) when I bought a 10 cent pack of baseball cards. Zantigos chillitos ruled! I washed dishes at TC Peppercorn for about a year. During the time I was there, they opened "Peppercorn PM", a disco that opened after the restaraunt closed for the night. Everyones first job should be washing dishes in a steakhouse. Everything is easy after that. I think I made about $1.90 an hour. Who remembers dollar days at the putt-putt on Westborne? You could play all day for $1.00. I also remember the race tracks in the basement of Don's Hobby Shop. They weren't HO scale, they were for the bigger cars. The Sears and Roebucks was where the auto place is now by Sliker. My grandpa lived on Sliker. I didn't see a color TV until I was about 16 or so. I also remember going to a friends house to watch channel 19 after school (cool goule, rudy the rooster, ect.) because my dad was too cheap to by the convertor box to get UHF channels. When converse shoes went on sale at Chinatown, every kid in the neighborhood got new shoes.

And last but not least, who remembers getting pulled over by the cops with open beer in the car and having them make you pour it out and send you home?

Wow, that made me tired, I think I'll take a nap.

Jteegardner said:
We were trying to remember where the railroad tracks ran thru WH. I know they ran along Queen City Ave crossing over Guerly rd, behind Dunham and West Hi, under the Ferguson rd Bridge. It then ran along Glenway behinds Swallen's. From there, my memory gets foggy. Did it run under Werk rd. near where Toys-r-Us is now and cut over Glenway by Westbourne and run along Glenway by where Mar-Fab lumber used to be? It crossed over at bridgetown and glenway. Wasn't there a tall tressel somewhere on Glenway? Please help:help:

If you want to go back even further, that line started down in the valley in the main train yard near Union Terminal. It came up and crossed State Street near the WH Viaduct. It basically ran parallel with Westwood Avenue. It crossed many smaller side streets that I can't remember but it went over Grand, Quebec, Wyoming and Sunset before going in behind Dunham.

After it left Dunham it went under Ferguson Road, Boudinot and Glenway basically where the new Krogers, the Glenway Chev and Walgreens is next to the Ford dealer.

Once it went under Glenway the tracks opened up into another train yard where the entire Glenway Crossing strip mall is now. From there it crossed Muddy Creek near where the Danbarry Cinema is and went in behind the Stegners chili plant and the Racquet Club on Muddy Creek.

That's were it went under Werk and followed behind the Westside Soccer building (old Toy's R Us) and the Post office. It crossed Glenway before Westbourne near the Good Sam Medical building and paralleled Glenway until it got to the intersection at Race, Glenway and Bridgetown.

I don't remember much of it from there on. I think wrigley spelled it out nicely from there.

BTW, does anybody remember the name of the record shop that is about were the Jiffy Lube is on Glenway across from Western Bowl, Wesbourne and Lawrence road area? It was like an old wooden house and they sold used records and it was kind of dingy and dark and musty but they had some good prices on LP's. I can't remember the name of that place.

ElderHockeyDad said:
When converse shoes went on sale at Chinatown, every kid in the neighborhood got new shoes.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

They must have gone on sale every Christmas because I think I must have got a new pair every Christmas from 5th grade through 11th grade! :laugh:

Yes, I have eaten at the Proud Rooster. Good food, reasonable prices. There is also a gift shop attached to the restaurant.

I seem to remember lots of families there when I have been there.

ElderHockeyDad said:
OK, I don't post much, but I have to jump in on this one!

We would send my brother (a big poster on this board who I won't mention by name, but the hint is "What time is it?") into the front door crying that he left his hat inside. They would let him into the theater and he would open the back door for us to sneak in.

Wow, that made me tired, I think I'll take a nap.

Maybe there is a reason you don't post alot

:eek:

Tell them about your 64' Dodge Dart and the terror you descended upon everyone.

:D

And yes, you are old enough to take a nap!:p

Anyone remember Keller's grocery store on Rulison? Every day on the way home from St. Teresa it was a deli dill pickle and a Shasta cola.

Anyone remember when the dry dock on Delhi Pike burned down?

Anyone remember the groundskeepers at the Southern Baptist cemetery on Cleves Warsaw lighting gasoline on fire to remove the weeds from the fence?

Swallen's?

Van Leunen's?

The creepy state liquor store in Del-Fair where you had to write down what you wanted and the guy went into the back to get it for you?

How about the lake at the end of Lakeville on Rapid Run?