Are you a true West Sider??

It was where the Kroger on Warsaw is now located.
It held 700 seats for movies and plays. See additional photos in link below.

From the comments section:
Joe Vogel on January 13, 2010 at 7:41 am
The owners and operators of the Western Plaza throughout its history were apparently Mr. and Mrs. M. M. Weinig. The earliest mention I’ve found of the house in the trade journal Boxoffice is an item from 1942, and M. Weinig was mentioned in it, but a 1965 item about the closing implies that the Weinigs built the place.

The item in the Cincinnati news column of Boxoffice, December 6, 1965, says this: “Western Plaza, long a local theatre landmark, was closed by Mrs. M. M. Weinig. The Weinigs were among the pioneer exhibitors and Western Plaza was one of the early leading suburban houses. The theatre is to be torn down, the property having been bought in an expansion move by the Kroger Co.”

Last edited:
In the late '60s and at least '70s the Kroger on Warsaw was made out of the same kind of bricks as the current CVS on Glenway across from St. Teresa; that's because that CVS also used to be a Kroger. An exterior store wall fronted Enright across from the post office and the two store doors were on the south side of the building abutting the sidewalk. The loading dock was on the same south side of the building at the east corner of the building.
There was a small parking lot at the corner of Warsaw and Enright in front of the store. My father would park there to go to a branch of Provident Bank across Warsaw; it now is the Price Hill Historical Society Museum.
The current Kroger is the second new Kroger on that site; the first new Kroger faced west.

Great picture. My mother-in-law and her family frequented the Western Plaza Theater. For a while I thought she was talking about the Western Woods Theater at the old mall, which I would go to from time to time in the 70's (where the glass and candle store is next to HomeDepot). There were many theaters in Price Hill at one time. The Glenway, the Warsaw (building still standing) the Overlook the Sunset were four of them, and of course, the Covedale.

Last edited:
Here is info I found on Ancestry.com. In 1935 Margaret M Weinig was the widow of John W. She was the treasurer for The Pela Theater Co. and manager of the Western Plaza Theater.
Looks like the entry above Margaret was for her son.

1710505165449.png

this next one is from 1928 - Cincinnati Tuberculosis Sanatorium was Dunham Hospital. Margaret lived at 3828 Clifton Av.

1710505399642.png

John W. Weinig served in the Spanish American War -- and is buried in New St. Joseph cemetery.

1710505858400.png

Last edited:
Came across this article that said 15 new Ott homes are being built off of Wesselman Rd. Anyone know where that is? I haven't seen anything, unless they haven't started yet.

There will be 15 additional homes built in a new section of the Wesselman Woods subdivision. The lots will actually be off Westin Ridge—assuming this is the same development. You can see more about it here: https://www.hamiltoncountyohio.gov/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=20140096

Attachments

• IMG_2494.jpeg
    IMG_2494.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2495.png
    IMG_2495.png
    534.7 KB · Views: 44
Colerain might be on the edge of Westside but last night I encountered my first Grab and Run theft at as two individuals grabbed a ton of clothing from and ran out of the store and too off. As I watched this from my car, some of us "might" of helped in the past but in this day and age its not worth the $200 in merchandise. Very sad to see knowing that the western hills store encountered the same issues on a weekly basis. The crap needs to stop! Hopefully they got video on it.

Colerain might be on the edge of Westside but last night I encountered my first Grab and Run theft at as two individuals grabbed a ton of clothing from and ran out of the store and too off. As I watched this from my car, some of us "might" of helped in the past but in this day and age its not worth the $200 in merchandise. Very sad to see knowing that the western hills store encountered the same issues on a weekly basis. The crap needs to stop! Hopefully they got video on it.
Colerain is definitely west side IMO.

Sad indeed. Unfortunately, even if caught on video and arrests are made, it'll be a slap on the wrist, which is why this crap keeps happening. I doubt they'll be arrested sadly as Colerain voted down a much needed police levy, they are very understaffed from what I hear.

Colerain is definitely west side IMO.

Sad indeed. Unfortunately, even if caught on video and arrests are made, it'll be a slap on the wrist, which is why this crap keeps happening. I doubt they'll be arrested sadly as Colerain voted down a much needed police levy, they are very understaffed from what I hear.
Pretty sure the levy failure was a reaction to the trustees shelling out big 💵💵💵 to buy the empty Sears store. Many residents wanted to know why that money couldn’t have been used for police.

Pretty sure the levy failure was a reaction to the trustees shelling out big 💵💵💵 to buy the empty Sears store. Many residents wanted to know why that money couldn’t have been used for police.
Didn't know the township bought it.

Is there a plan? My biggest source of info is an aging relative who lives in the area.

Delhi shelled out big bucks for the old Remke and have the current project going on there..... is there something similar in the works for that property?

I witnessed a smash and grab many years ago on an early Sunday morning. It was at the tool rental that used to be on River Rd. between Riverside and Sayler Park. The alarm was blaring and guys were loading tools into a vehicle backed up to the front door. I dialed 911 but the closest cell tower was across the river and I was connected to the Boone County dispatcher. They said the would contact Cincinnati but I’m sure they got away in time.

Didn't know the township bought it.

Is there a plan? My biggest source of info is an aging relative who lives in the area.

Delhi shelled out big bucks for the old Remke and have the current project going on there..... is there something similar in the works for that property?
Yes, the township bought just the part of the property that Sears sat on. The stated reason was that would guarantee a seat at the table when redevelopment happens. Can’t imagine how they would have been shut out of the plan but I guess it’s possible.

The joy of Easter will be a little less joyful in Mojoland this Easter. It will be the first time in 40 years (except for COVID year 2020) that we will not have Faultless Jimmy Rolls for Easter brunch. "What?" you say. "Faultless closed around twenty years ago". That is true but for over a decade Krogers Delhi made them as the demand for them continued. About five years ago they stopped making them for their bakery racks, but still made them for special orders. To my horror I noticed last weekend that Krogers is no longer baking their own doughnuts but are buying from Buskins. End result, no more Jimmy Rolls. I think I know someone, who knows someone that has the Meyers (Myers(?) Meiers(?)) old recipe. We may have to plan ahead to make our own next year.

Last edited:
The joy of Easter will be a little less joyful in Mojoland this Easter. It will be the first time in 40 years (except for COVID year 2020) that we will not have Faultless Jimmy Rolls for Easter brunch. "What?" you say. "Faultless closed around twenty years ago". That is true but for over a decade Krogers Delhi made them as the demand for them continued. About five years ago they stopped making them for their bakery racks, but still made them for special orders. To my horror I noticed last weekend that Krogers is no longer baking their own doughnuts but are buying the from Buskins. End result, no more Jimmy Rolls. I think I know someone, who knows someone that has the Meyers (Myers(?) Meiers(?)) old recipe. We may have to plan ahead to make our own next year.
Kroger stopped making their own doughnuts in house well over 20 years ago, unless they started again.

I have heard about thr Jimmy rolls over the years, but kind of assumed they were being made by someone else and brought in, I guess not.

I do believe Delhi Kroger got a new store manager about a year or so ago, so maybe that has something to do with it? Nevertheless, Kroger overall has been trending downhill the past 5-10 years with how they run their stores, prices, customer service, and how they treat their employees.

Last chance tonight, westsiders! I think we might be the only parish fry open on Good Friday.

Don't go to Frisch's or drive through for that piece of cardboard McDonalds will serve. You can go to a sports bar next week. We have great fish on the famous NCH Bakery salted rye. We are a west-side Lenten staple serving a fast-growing-again athletics association. We are open in the drive-thru 4:30-7 p.m.

fish.jpeg
2024 St Als Fish Fry Menu.png

Attachments

• fish.jpeg
    fish.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 15
The joy of Easter will be a little less joyful in Mojoland this Easter. It will be the first time in 40 years (except for COVID year 2020) that we will not have Faultless Jimmy Rolls for Easter brunch. "What?" you say. "Faultless closed around twenty years ago". That is true but for over a decade Krogers Delhi made them as the demand for them continued. About five years ago they stopped making them for their bakery racks, but still made them for special orders. To my horror I noticed last weekend that Krogers is no longer baking their own doughnuts but are buying the from Buskins. End result, no more Jimmy Rolls. I think I know someone, who knows someone that has the Meyers (Myers(?) Meiers(?)) old recipe. We may have to plan ahead to make our own next year.
Here’s the obit for Ed Mayer that ran in the Enquirer when he passed away in 1996.
IMG_2675.jpeg

Last chance tonight, westsiders! I think we might be the only parish fry open on Good Friday.

Don't go to Frisch's or drive through for that piece of cardboard McDonalds will serve. You can go to a sports bar next week. We have great fish on the famous NCH Bakery salted rye. We are a west-side Lenten staple serving a fast-growing-again athletics association. We are open in the drive-thru 4:30-7 p.m.

View attachment 56574 View attachment 56575
Thanks for sharing. Going to have to venture on over to the west side tonight.

View attachment 56574 View attachment 56575

Is that the salted rye?