Are you a true West Sider??

I noticed this morning there’s now a construction fence around the former Auto Zone building on Glenway (across from Oskamp). Does anyone know what might be going there?

There’s also quite a bit of land clearing going on at Oak Hills. Does anyone know what that’s for?

I noticed this morning there’s now a construction fence around the former Auto Zone building on Glenway (across from Oskamp). Does anyone know what might be going there?

There’s also quite a bit of land clearing going on at Oak Hills. Does anyone know what that’s for?
Oak Hills is doing something with their practice field. They didn’t really clear any land.

Oak Hills at one point was trying to raise money for a new pool. That was why they originally purchased properties between oak hills and Lawrence Road. But I believe the plan now is for them to utilize the pool that will be built in Delhi at the new rec center thing at the former Remke location on Delhi Pike

Oak Hills at one point was trying to raise money for a new pool. That was why they originally purchased properties between oak hills and Lawrence Road. But I believe the plan now is for them to utilize the pool that will be built in Delhi at the new rec center thing at the former Remke location on Delhi Pike

That's a haul from OHHS.

Elder, Seton, and LaSalle all use Cincy state for their pools. It's probably about the same distance from Elder to Cincy State as Oak Hills to former Remke? I'm too lazy to look it up.

I didn’t think it was. Still, half the team may be closer to home at the pool then they would be at school. It’s a spread out district. I think it’s great that some activity will finally take place on the Delhi side.
What is the reason for a new pool. Is the existing 4 lane pool too small for events?

What is the reason for a new pool. Is the existing 4 lane pool too small for events?
Most Swim meets have 6 lanes, so it different than every other high school swim meet. Also, the blocks where you dive in to start the races are on the shallow end, 4 feet.

The pool is also original with the school, so it's over 60 years old. I'm not sure what the lifespan of those are, but I'm guessing 60 is probably at the expectancy or over it.

Delhi, I do believe was going for a renter for the pool, so it could be a win-win for the school and the community.

Most Swim meets have 6 lanes, so it different than every other high school swim meet. Also, the blocks where you dive in to start the races are on the shallow end, 4 feet.

The pool is also original with the school, so it's over 60 years old. I'm not sure what the lifespan of those are, but I'm guessing 60 is probably at the expectancy or over it.

Delhi, I do believe was going for a renter for the pool, so it could be a win-win for the school and the community.
Was probably State of the Art 60 years ago. If this is a Community Rec Center I wonder if there will be any push back from some of the residents on scheduling.

Was probably State of the Art 60 years ago. If this is a Community Rec Center I wonder if there will be any push back from some of the residents on scheduling.
Beats me, there could be. But it's really no different than Mason and their community center and pool usage or any YMCA and their pool usage. The swim teams always get the first crack for scheduling.

In my town here in NE Ohio we're members at our community rec center. The local school district utilizes the pool for swim practice and occasional meets. I'm not a swimmer but when there's a meet it does fill up the parking lot. The ability to use the rest of the facility, including the recreation pool and whirlpool, is not affected.

It actually makes a lot of sense for Oak Hills, and hopefully some of the other schools, to utilize this new facility. Maybe it adds a bit more to the overall costs to get the facility up to par for competition, but isn't that more fiscally responsible than sinking taxpayer dollars into a totally different facility with all of its own inherent costs?

In my town here in NE Ohio we're members at our community rec center. The local school district utilizes the pool for swim practice and occasional meets. I'm not a swimmer but when there's a meet it does fill up the parking lot. The ability to use the rest of the facility, including the recreation pool and whirlpool, is not affected.

It actually makes a lot of sense for Oak Hills, and hopefully some of the other schools, to utilize this new facility. Maybe it adds a bit more to the overall costs to get the facility up to par for competition, but isn't that more fiscally responsible than sinking taxpayer dollars into a totally different facility with all of its own inherent costs?
So the local school district’s schools can use the pool for practice and events but probably not private schools- unless they wanted to pay rent like they do now. I guess that makes sense.

Has anyone heard anything more about a rumored City BBQ next to the new hotel on Harrison Ave?
I’d love that but why would they do that after they failed on Glenway?

edit: I checked with my daughter. City BBQ was considering that site but she hasn’t heard of any real action.

I’d love that but why would they do that after they failed on Glenway?

edit: I checked with my daughter. City BBQ was considering that site but she hasn’t heard of any real action.
Did they "fail"? I have seen businesses leave locations that were doing just fine, but, rent was just too high (like Glencrossing).

Did they "fail"? I have seen businesses leave locations that were doing just fine, but, rent was just too high (like Glencrossing).
I have heard of restaurants moving due to high rent (Texas Roadhouse) only to see others move into the same space and be successful. It’s hard to know what to believe.

If I remember correctly, City BBQ scaled back a couple of locations. I think maybe the one in Oakley/Hyde Park closed around the same time. I could be wrong it was almost a decade ago.

they are putting in a new turf field so the parents who drop the kids off on friday nights have a place to play. but yes, it will also be utilized by the sports teams. it was supposed to be finished already but the county permits took longer than expected.

jtk
()

A few other new business openings in recent days.

1. Burlington is open in the former Best Buy location in Glenway Crossing.
  2. Longshots opened in the spot that was formerly Oasis, Holy Grail, Gobel's (and probably a few others)
  3. W Bar and Bistro opened in the former Henke Winery spot. It’s from the same folks who started Ivory House