Any schools let their students in for free to football games?

Who cares about the "school spirit"? If they have spirit then they should have no problem paying for a pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
At Fort Recovery, student tickets are cheaper. There is also an academic reward that you can achieve to get free passes.

At Fort Recovery, student tickets are cheaper. There is also an academic reward that you can achieve to get free passes.
OT that is crazy about the softball coaches. How one woman can convince another woman to join her in commiting murder. I can only imagine what must the softball payers must be thinking.

Who cares about the "school spirit"? If they have spirit then they should have no problem paying for a pass. Be honest most of these gets just want to smoke a couple of heaters and have a couple of suds before they go in and try to find something to smash on that night!
I care about school spirit. I think that having big student sections supporting their teams is evidence of a strong school community. Students are usually the loudest and most passionate fans at the game. And no, most of them aren't there to smoke, drink, or find something to "smash". In fact, I bet the games give a lot of kids something much better to do besides drink and smoke. A lot of students want to be there to support their friends and classmates. The schools and teams that have large student support are very lucky and should be thankful.

Nothing charged to attend any specific event at Bishop Hartley, but there is a $800.00 per student Student Life Fee that allows Hartley students to attend ALL school retreats, athletic events and performing arts programs at no cost helping build the schools sense of community and encourage the support of fellow students in their activities. It also helps to offset the costs of the school’s student IDs, co-curricular non-academic materials and activities such as the 1:1 Computer Initiative and the House System.

I know when I went to VASJ in the early 2010’s, we used our student ID’a to get into paid admission home games, such as football, volleyball, and basketball for free. I believe the school still does this now. And recently Grbac introduced an Alumni pass this fall where alums would pay $60 for the annual pass to get into home games for that school year.

How many schools let old, strike that, seasoned folks in free? The school I follow does, but it has been my deal for more years than I care to recall, I have made a habit of giving the concession people a ten for 3 or 4 bucks of pre- game popcorn and drink and letting them keep the rest for the booster club. Do it home and away. I believe in supporting the kids.

I know a little bit smaller school that was struggling with numbers in their sports and made a deal if you are a 3 sport athlete(1 in each season) you will receive a Sports Pass for the following school year. This school keeps their student prices reasonable so the revenue loss wasn't huge but participation in all sports has increased.

I remember back in the 70's when Wellsville Tigers basketball was an event, all kids in the city of Wellsville were let in free for all home basketball games.

Cuyahoga Heights High School permits all students in grades 6-12 FREE admission to all home contests with a student ID. Elementary age students are admitted FREE of charge when accompanied by an adult. The district has a "no-cut" policy for all sports. The community values student involvement and pride in one's school over a few hundred dollars of profit. Our students spend their money at the concession stand!

I know a little bit smaller school that was struggling with numbers in their sports and made a deal if you are a 3 sport athlete(1 in each season) you will receive a Sports Pass for the following school year. This school keeps their student prices reasonable so the revenue loss wasn't huge but participation in all sports has increased.
But, honestly, if you're a three sport athlete, how much free time do you have each school year to attend a sporting event that you're not participating in?

Been mulling this concept over. Pretty sure Hamilton Township in Columbus has never done this. I do remember when my parents starting giving me 25 or 50 cents to buy a student ticket during the Friday lunch period pre-sale. That was a big deal for an elementary student over 50 years ago.

I'd suggest allowing kids up thru 5th grade in for free, accompanied by parent. Early exposure on a regular basis could only help participation numbers down the road. Downside is how much work it'd be to administrate such a program - I dunno, maybe with student ID's? Not sure if students that young carry them around. Middle and high school students are old enough to start paying the student rate..

Last edited:
After talking to member on twitter about who makes the prices for regular season games and being told, that the schools are the ones who determine the price. I am going to say most schools are not going to take a hit in the profit of the sport, that basically pay for all of the to other sports. Especially those schools that charge 8 bucks. Not that 99.9% of can afford that.

After talking to member on twitter about who makes the prices for regular season games and being told, that the schools are the ones who determine the price. I am going to say most schools are not going to take a hit in the profit of the sport, that basically pay for all of the to other sports. Especially those schools that charge 8 bucks. Not that 99.9% of can afford that.
The Suburban League prices are set by the league. Of course, the schools are the ones voting for the prices but individual schools have to abide by the league rules.

They also set the price for admission at the middle school level but about half the schools do not charge for middle school events. If the schools are going to charge a fee, they have to follow the leagues rules.

The Suburban League prices are set by the league. Of course, the schools are the ones voting for the prices but individual schools have to abide by the league rules.

They also set the price for admission at the middle school level but about half the schools do not charge for middle school events. If the schools are going to charge a fee, they have to follow the leagues rules.
The vast majority of conferences set the prices, not individual schools.

But, honestly, if you're a three sport athlete, how much free time do you have each school year to attend a sporting event that you're not participating in?
If you are a 3 sport athlete that doesn't play football...pretty much every Friday night during football season is free time