Another Weekend Of Youth Basketball.... Another Weekend Of Fights

This has become a learned and excepted behavior in our society. It’s sad that 15-17 year olds are seeing adults acting this way. some are going to become adults and think this is the norm. So very sad for our young. The next generation.

Yep just another weekend of AAU basketball...

Actual AAU is doing a lot to make it known that not all travel basketball in the spring and summer is AAU. I don't know the nuances of how it all works, but your average tournament that occurs weekly at the local warehouse gyms likely don't have any players that are real prospects.

I posted something similar on a different thread. It's not just AAU. Young people are watching adults behave like this at soccer events, baseball tournaments, etc... I can recall two serious incidents involving adults in all my days as an athlete during the 80's and 90's. What's it all going to look like when restrictions are lifted and events are packed again?

AAU Bingo is a great follow on twitter. Travel sports by and large are killing sports numbers in general. but hey, some people made a buck on naive parents and the feeling of more is better

also, I feel like these issues are a microcosm of our current society. the resort to violence is too quick and its really quite unsettling

AAU Bingo is a great follow on twitter. Travel sports by and large are killing sports numbers in general. but hey, some people made a buck on naive parents and the feeling of more is better

also, I feel like these issues are a microcosm of our current society. the resort to violence is too quick and its really quite unsettling
You don't want to be the "newbe" and yell BINGO, that's for sure. ROTFLMAO!

Actual AAU is doing a lot to make it known that not all travel basketball in the spring and summer is AAU. I don't know the nuances of how it all works, but your average tournament that occurs weekly at the local warehouse gyms likely don't have any players that are real prospects.
Yep, I should have said “travel ball”!

I posted something similar on a different thread. It's not just AAU. Young people are watching adults behave like this at soccer events, baseball tournaments, etc... I can recall two serious incidents involving adults in all my days as an athlete during the 80's and 90's. What's it all going to look like when restrictions are lifted and events are packed again?
Agree. Its the whole entitlement mentality. You couldn't pay me enough to be a coach or official......no respect for these guys/gals and the time and effort they put in so kids can play.

Actually true "AAU" tournament probably don't have many prospects either. Most of the prospects are now playing on the Nike, Adidas, or UA circuits. Technically those are not "AAU". "AAU" is it's own entity that runs its own tournaments. "AAU" has just become a generic term for summer basketball now.

Agree. Its the whole entitlement mentality. You couldn't pay me enough to be a coach or official......no respect for these guys/gals and the time and effort they put in so kids can play.
Agree wholeheartedly....just look at the behavior of the NBA and even the Reds this year. I stopped watching the NBA a few years ago because of player behavior (and of course being able to take 12 steps before traveling is called lol). Young people see this stuff and emulate the same behaviors. But its still no excuse for parental behavior in the stands.

This has become a learned and excepted behavior in our society. It’s sad that 15-17 year olds are seeing adults acting this way. some are going to become adults and think this is the norm. So very sad for our young. The next generation.
This is a valid point. Hopefully organizations can figure out a way to stiffen penalties. I am not even sure that would stop things. We live in a rather violent society. I think some folks get their kicks knowing full well their actions blow up on social media, too.

This is a valid point. Hopefully organizations can figure out a way to stiffen penalties. I am not even sure that would stop things. We live in a rather violent society. I think some folks get their kicks knowing full well their actions blow up on social media, too.
And all I have to do is watch videos like these and watch how many people film it with phones in the background to affirm your last sentence for me.

And all I have to do is watch videos like these and watch how many people film it with phones in the background to affirm your last sentence for me.
Yep...see it all them time...even outside of sports. Instead of trying to diffuse the situation, pull out the phone and record it to see how many "likes" you can get....crazy times

Honestly, considering the hundreds of events that go on like this throughout the country on every weekend, the amount of money families are investing in this, the false preconceived notions that their kids going to the NBA in a few years if they don't get enough playing time...I'm shocked these don't happen more. Throw in overworked, many times novice officials and some coaches who are in over their heads and it's a recipe for disaster.
This too shall pass. I think in the next 10 years you are going to see a shift away from this. The ROI isn't there.
Word to the wise, let your kids play multiple sports, through their schools as long as they can. AAU / travel sports aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Honestly, considering the hundreds of events that go on like this throughout the country on every weekend, the amount of money families are investing in this, the false preconceived notions that their kids going to the NBA in a few years if they don't get enough playing time...I'm shocked these don't happen more. Throw in overworked, many times novice officials and some coaches who are in over their heads and it's a recipe for disaster.
This too shall pass. I think in the next 10 years you are going to see a shift away from this. The ROI isn't there.
Word to the wise, let your kids play multiple sports, through their schools as long as they can. AAU / travel sports aren't all they're cracked up to be.
Wells said!

Actually true "AAU" tournament probably don't have many prospects either. Most of the prospects are now playing on the Nike, Adidas, or UA circuits. Technically those are not "AAU". "AAU" is it's own entity that runs its own tournaments. "AAU" has just become a generic term for summer basketball now.
AAU is dying from the inside out.

That's what happens in a corrupt orgainization.

Gotta love the young kid with the back pack on just strolling casually past the scene. Staying focused for his next game or so used to such action he doesn't flinch?

Not every player in actual AAU tournaments are real prospects but most players have hoop dreams so they play AAU and I guarantee that those travel games to local gyms in the summer may not be an AAU tournament but is AAU related!

I agree with you 100 percent!

That’s interesting. Don’t see much info on the girls side about fighting. I should have known better. Sad this craziness is happening to our youth. ?
Just had one last month in Indianapolis that went viral. I know of at least three others around the country as well.

Just had one last month in Indianapolis that went viral. I know of at least three others around the country as well.

There was an incident in Indy last month (Girls Event?) or so where an Official Assaulted a fan or Coach then got beat down pretty good?

Last edited:
Sad. Sad. Sad. Our youth aren’t going to know any different going into adulthood. This will kill the golden goose called AAU or travel ball , eventually. ?