Akron East Dragons 2023 Football Preview

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
1691171888354.png

Akron East Dragons

Head Coach: Marques Hayes
Years Head Coach (current school): 12
Record (current school): 59-56 (57-38 since year 3)
Years Head Coach (overall): 12
Record (overall): 59-56 (57-38 since year 3)

Assistant Coaches:
Denico Knight
Brian Coman
Gabriel Gonzalez
Austin Clopton
Kavan Favors
Devin Richardson
Derrick Bell
Seth Lewis
Ronald Connor

Record last season: 6-5 Overall 4-1 League play
League Affiliation: Akron City Series
Last year's playoff results: Loss to Chardon 0-1

Team's style of offense: Spread

I like how they spilt off Coach's record since the first 3 years as if they didn't count. Heck, why not put in parentheses something like, "46-20 in his best 7 years as head coach"......LOL.

I like how they spilt off Coach's record since the first 3 years as if they didn't count. Heck, why not put in parentheses something like, "46-20 in his best 7 years as head coach"......LOL.
those parenthesis add much needed context. Im far more impressed with his overall record with the understanding his first two years he went 2-18.

I can understand the context after the first 3 years because they were horrible before he got their.
Maybe we should put his records vs the city and his record vs teams outside the city. That would not look that pretty.

I can understand the context after the first 3 years because they were horrible before he got their.
Maybe we should put his records vs the city and his record vs teams outside the city. That would not look that pretty.
Why you hatin? What is your record?

I was feeding off of Smoove Mooves...thought I was more positive than him but your right who am I...Hayes has done a tremendous job....Buchtel was Ohio State and East was Indiana but Hayes has turned the Dragons into the Buckeyes in the City. He is great for East and the City.

I think he needs to schedule smarter....lead to a lot more playoffs and they can do damage in D3 with being a top seed.

22-Lake Jackson Dover North Royalton-1-3..playoffs..16 teams..got in as 16 seed and lost 1st round because played 1 seed
21-Jackson Perry Lake Dover North Royalton - 0-5...same as above
19-Jackson Perry St V Dover - 1-3....no playoffs
18-Jackson Hoover Dover Lake Catholic - 3-1...playoffs...5 seed...win 1st round lose 2nd round to 1 seed
17-Jackson Hoover Dover Howland - 2-2...no playoffs
16-Jackson Hoover Dover. - 0-3...barely make playoffs as 8 seed...beat 1 seed...lose 2nd round

I only listed the out of conference games that are very difficult.
Fed teams are not smart to schedule. They are tough ( and they play a tough schedule if you beat them they might win 5 games because their league is probably beating them.
Maybe play one or none fed teams a year.
Over this span they are 3-10 vs the fed
Vs Dover they are 2-3
vs Catholic Schools they are 1-1
Catholic schools...same thing...they play difficult schedule...they play other catholic schools that are tough if you beat them they might win 5 games.
Loaded schedule gets you barely in the playoffs in 22 21 and 16
Loaded schedule leads to no playoffs in 19 and 17
18 great team.
I would only schedule the above very difficult teams no more than twice a year. They are averaging 4 per year.

This year's schedule is optimized to get them a top seed in D3R9, with truly only 2 out of City "tests" in YTown Chaney and the obvious Goliath that is Hoban. You could be looking at a team that if disciplined and executes even at 80% is sitting at 9-1 or 8-2 after week 10.

This year's schedule is optimized to get them a top seed in D3R9, with truly only 2 out of City "tests" in YTown Chaney and the obvious Goliath that is Hoban. You could be looking at a team that if disciplined and executes even at 80% is sitting at 9-1 or 8-2 after week 10.
Definitely better scheduling. I’m fine with them playing Hoban too as long as the other 4 games are winnable, which they are. Good luck East.

I hope Hoban is paying them well. They better be getting enough to get new uniforms and pads. To schedule them they better be paying the total amount of what 3 teams would pay. Im sure they pay well considering no one will play them.

I assume they are hosting all those non conference games at Ellet?

If so, do North, Firestone, and Garfield have that option as well?
Yes, all games on the schedule with the exception of Hoban (away) and Buchtel (away) are at ellet. They do host most of those on Thursdays to allow for Ellet or another APS school to take precedent over Friday Nights. Theoretically, my understanding is that if you have someone willing to travel any APS school has use of Ellet and possibly even Buchtel-depending on scheduling logistics, my assumption would leave Buchtel as a last resort given the lack of lighting at this time. In my opinion though there arent many teams that are probably willing to fork over the money to come and play North, Firestone, or Garfield. But I think that Garfield could also utilize Kenmores field if I recall so that leaves just North and Firestone.