AJ Ferrari returning for 2023-2024

bucks13

AJ Ferrari announces on his Instagram that he will be returning to wrestling next year.
Still has potential to be a four timer.
Question is - where? Have to think that Iowa is high on the list alongside Anthony and Angelo.
Thoughts?

Iowa..He would fit right in with the junkyard dogs. Coach will take him in like he did with Spenser Lee with his injured leg.

Iowa..He would fit right in with the junkyard dogs. Coach will take him in like he did with Spenser Lee with his injured leg.
It’s a little different scenario Spencer was an Iowa guy. No denying AJ’s talent as a wrestler, hopefully he’s gotten his act together

I question the validity of this, but it was on the interwebs, so it must be true 😑..
FB_IMG_1679345742561.jpg

I totally believe in second chances and such. However, judging by his social media posts, he has the exact same non-disciplined attitude/behavior. A huge risk to take on for any room. Hope his name isn’t on lists in cbus. Just my thoughts.

I think Iowa would be a great fit for him. I hear a lot of negative comments from posters on here, but I am not sure if their valid or not? I have rarely heard of any misconduct off the mat from Iowa wrestlers. I think Tom and Terry would set him straight. Spencer Lee is the only wrestler I can recall that told them what he was going to do... So anyone that thinks the Brands ruined him is totally incorrect... Gable Stevenson and Spencer Lee did their own thing.

AJ's criminal case is still ongoing, so he can say all he wants on Insta but until that clears up and the Title IX investigation's over I wouldn't expect to see him on a college mat

I totally believe in second chances and such. However, judging by his social media posts, he has the exact same non-disciplined attitude/behavior. A huge risk to take on for any room. Hope his name isn’t on lists in cbus. Just my thoughts.
I don’t know about you, but I’ll gladly take a National Champion… not that I think that happens. Tom Ryan would have to manage Echemendia v2. You can only be SUCH a head-case off the mat to win a national championship.
I think he’s got a PPV selling lifestyle in college wrestling. Love or hate, it brought a pretty good spark and showing to 197 last year. As someone that wasn’t fond of AJ in the early going, he grew on me a lot.

Still has potential to be a four timer.
Wasn't his NCAA time clock still ticking the last two years? The year he won was the free COVID year, but I would think he'd only have two years left. Unless of course he gets a medical redshirt for his car accident.

I don’t know about you, but I’ll gladly take a National Champion… not that I think that happens. Tom Ryan would have to manage Echemendia v2. You can only be SUCH a head-case off the mat to win a national championship.
I think he’s got a PPV selling lifestyle in college wrestling. Love or hate, it brought a pretty good spark and showing to 197 last year. As someone that wasn’t fond of AJ in the early going, he grew on me a lot.
He can be a world champ for all I care. Not the distraction that any room wants or needs. Plus, the negative impact he would bring to OSU, would be unfathomable. With his lack of morals, he would be a great fit as a Hawkeye. With all of this being said, his criminal case is still pending and I highly doubt we ever see him back on the mats.

He can be a world champ for all I care. Not the distraction that any room wants or needs. Plus, the negative impact he would bring to OSU, would be unfathomable. With his lack of morals, he would be a great fit as a Hawkeye. With all of this being said, his criminal case is still pending and I highly doubt we ever see him back on the mats.
I can see your view on this. TR is a big culture guy. A lot is up in the air on his situation, and even who he is as a person.

Anthony committed. It's been pretty well known that it was going to be a "package deal" for wherever Angelo goes, who has yet to commit anywhere. As far as the package, the part of it that would deter me as a HC would be Anthony Sr.

As far as the package, the part of it that would deter me as a HC would be Anthony Sr.
I watched the video where the dad was interviewed and he was all about morals, faith, and raising kids the "right" way. I came away from that video with more questions about him. He kept saying "we" meaning the boys, when that really meant him (we wanted to seek out a certain guy and go find him and wrestle him, etc). Also, it seemed as long as mom kept her mouth shut and made sandwiches she was good. Very macho man-ish

Yes I've seen that same interview. Between that and being matside at major tournaments... not just matside, but looking like a div II youth dad at the county fair open at Ironman finals etc. on all fours. I don't know him, nor want to place judgement... but I wouldn't want to be on his bad side. I feel like you might end up in the trunk of a Buick.

AJ's criminal case is still ongoing, so he can say all he wants on Insta but until that clears up and the Title IX investigation's over I wouldn't expect to see him on a college mat

Was my question. I'm guessing his lawyers are telling him the charges are going to dropped/modified? Can't see why in the world he would announce something like that otherwise while he is under investigation.

Lack of morals make him a great Hawkeye? Pathetic response from you. They haven’t taken AJ yet and need to let the legal system play out. Either it goes badly and he’s not a Hawkeye or he’s acquitted and then he gets a second chance.

Wasn't his NCAA time clock still ticking the last two years? The year he won was the free COVID year, but I would think he'd only have two years left. Unless of course he gets a medical redshirt for his car accident.
He hasn’t redshirted yet so that covers this past year. He could probably get a medical redshirt for the 21/22 season due to his injury. Heck his first year was the free covid year, so he could really have 4 years left yet lol.

He hasn’t redshirted yet so that covers this past year. He could probably get a medical redshirt for the 21/22 season due to his injury. Heck his first year was the free covid year, so he could really have 4 years left yet lol.
Not sure how he would get the medical redshirt for 21/22. He competed in 10 matches that season and the last one was a few days before the accident in late January

Last edited:
Perfect place for him . Iowa threw the money at Real Woods before he hit the portal and their " Boosters" just tried to contact a current Buckeye Wrestler who again wasn't even in the portal. kid had to go on Public Media to say he was going to remain a Buckeye.
Class program through and through.

I cornered the younger ferrari in several dual tournaments this year. he is like 13
the kid and family were always very respectful --win or lose.
I ran across my comments in the other Ferrari thread. I could see how you would feel that way. I have never been shoulder to shoulder with the family so who am i to judge.

Here are comments from the other thread...........

I watched the whole interview. He says WE alot, but I suspect he means him when talking about what they wanted to do and what they did. WE did this, WE watched tape for hours, WE drilled after practice for another hour or two in the basement, WE looked for the kid that beat us and would go find him to wrestler him again, WE would do two and three divisions each weekend. Not sure how i feel about what i just watched.

Also, get that wife in line. lol

There are a few family related things his says that are good. Many wrestling things just seem WAY over the top. I do respect a man (person) that speaks about honor in working hard in sports and in life. But, like mentioned above, so much BS and hype.

IDK so much to unpack there.

He became an Iowa guy when he wasn't a big recruit because of his bad leg. Brands reached out to him and called all the shots

Was my question. I'm guessing his lawyers are telling him the charges are going to dropped/modified? Can't see why in the world he would announce something like that otherwise while he is under investigation.
He doesn't listen to his attorneys which was evident from the start of this whole thing. AJ's the smartest guy in any room, just ask him.

I ran across my comments in the other Ferrari thread. I could see how you would feel that way. I have never been shoulder to shoulder with the family so who am i to judge.

Here are comments from the other thread...........

I watched the whole interview. He says WE alot, but I suspect he means him when talking about what they wanted to do and what they did. WE did this, WE watched tape for hours, WE drilled after practice for another hour or two in the basement, WE looked for the kid that beat us and would go find him to wrestler him again, WE would do two and three divisions each weekend. Not sure how i feel about what i just watched.

Also, get that wife in line. lol

There are a few family related things his says that are good. Many wrestling things just seem WAY over the top. I do respect a man (person) that speaks about honor in working hard in sports and in life. But, like mentioned above, so much BS and hype.

IDK so much to unpack there.
Can't disagree with anything you said. From my very first hand experience, At McDonough duals last month he sat with me a few times and a couple matches he didn't. He was very unemotional either way all weekend