ABJ: 12 Greater Akron football players who should have Division I offers

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
As the NCAA early signing period runs Wednesday through Friday, and Division I college football teams look to fill in the remaining slots, there are always a bunch of quality athletes who slip through the cracks.

We’ve looked at seniors who don’t have D-I offers and have come up with a dozen Greater Akron area players who should at least be getting looks.

Akron coach Joe Moorhead and Kent State coach Kenni Burns, if you’re reading this, at the very least kick the tires on these 12.

Whoever picks up Marcel Boyce will be getting a good one (on and off the field). Kid didn't even play football his 9th and 10th grade year (concentrated on basketball), his future is bright!!

And the "local" Akron Beacon Journal can't even get the league that Mogadore's Mason Williams played in correct. For the Beacon reporter's information, Mason played for Mogadore a member of the Portage Trail Conference NOT the Metro Conference!! Of course who would expect them to get it correct considering Mogadore is about 6 miles from their Akron office!

And the "local" Akron Beacon Journal can't even get the league that Mogadore's Mason Williams played in correct. For the Beacon reporter's information, Mason played for Mogadore a member of the Portage Trail Conference NOT the Metro Conference!! Of course who would expect them to get it correct considering Mogadore is about 6 miles from their Akron office!
...i dont see this kid listed in the story you're complaining about?

Note to the writer: Stats and recognition do not lead to D1 scholarships. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that all these kids have been seen by D1 colleges and obviously they have passed on them. We need to stop making it "D1" or nothing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with going to lower levels schools.

...i dont see this kid listed in the story you're complaining about?
He’s not in the story because he committed to Ohio University. Wildcat, who was the last Mogadore FB player to commit to a DI school?

Congrats to Mason!

Note to the writer: Stats and recognition do not lead to D1 scholarships. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that all these kids have been seen by D1 colleges and obviously they have passed on them. We need to stop making it "D1" or nothing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with going to lower levels schools.
I understand the sentiment that D1 isn't the end all be all, but if the rest of the kids on the list are like Boyce, then maybe the scouts missed a few, because in my humble opinion Boyce is definitely D1 material.

It's interesting that Tallmadge has 2 players on that list. Over the last 35 years, Tallmadge has had two players get DI (FBS) scholarships. (Jamel Miller and Joe Lowery). Collin Dixon just signed with Illinois to become the third player in that time span. Would be fairly amazing for both Hurst and Cuva to get DI offers.

The D1 scouts are pros. They do make mistakes but not many. Also, a kid may actually pass on a D1 offer for the certainty of playing at a lower level. In addition, the transfer portal has decreased the number of spots for freshman.

I understand the sentiment that D1 isn't the end all be all, but if the rest of the kids on the list are like Boyce, then maybe the scouts missed a few, because in my humble opinion Boyce is definitely D1 material.
It will be interesting to see whether he pursues it in basketball or football. It does my old heart good to see a kid excelling in two sports rather than caving to the pressure to just focus on one.

This article avoids any discussion that high school kids aren't getting looks due to the portal. Everyone of these guys are borderline D1 guys who will have to take a shot at a D2 school and hope to transfer up. Each misses huge metrics that big schools are looking for. Sperling is elite and Big schools had zero interest. Kid had great speed but not elite for a 180lb back. METRICS.

Walsh really has a hard time getting any football players a D1 offer. Can any of the Walsh faithful tell us when the last time they have had a D1 kid? Asking for a friend who is considering Hoban and Stv for their son.

Walsh really has a hard time getting any football players a D1 offer. Can any of the Walsh faithful tell us when the last time they have had a D1 kid? Asking for a friend who is considering Hoban and Stv for their son.

There haven't been many for Walsh the last few years.
David Wohlabaugh (Kentucky) had multiple D1 offers (Pitt, Maryland, Michigan State, Arizona State, Purdue) from the Class of 2021.
Wohlabaugh is currently the 2nd string RT as a redshirt freshman.

Also Dom Grguric committed to Valparaiso D1-FCS from the Class of 2021. He just transferred to Bowling Green.

Worth noting in terms of FBS and FBC scholarship offers to HS kids. In 2020, the NCAA offered an extra year of eligiblity for players and that extra year has created a huge log jam of kids. High school kids played through COVID. There are going to be many, many 5 year letter winners at the D2 and D3 levels over the next couple years and there are tons of D1 kids who are now called "super seniors". This is more likely the issue with the dwindling number of HS schollys than even the portal.

Historically, Walsh has had plenty of players go D1 and i can assure you it is visited and known to college coaches. I would not worry about that in the least, considering the coaching staff Walsh has in place now. Facilities are now top notch as well. If this kid is deserving of going D1, he will.

Historically, Walsh has had plenty of players go D1 and i can assure you it is visited and known to college coaches. I would not worry about that in the least, considering the coaching staff Walsh has in place now. Facilities are now top notch as well. If this kid is deserving of going D1, he will.
Walsh WR who graduated last year was a stud. Probably one of the best in the area in my opinion. Why do you think he wasnt D1? You dont think he deserved it? I think he did.

Walsh WR who graduated last year was a stud. Probably one of the best in the area in my opinion. Why do you think he wasnt D1? You dont think he deserved it? I think he did.
If you’re talking about Tre Bell he was a junior last year and played this year.

This article is ridiculous. I have most of these kids on tv. They just are not good enough D1 college prospects. They are very productive players, great players. There is just a huge difference between being a great high school player and a D1 player and it has nothing to with stats. This reporter even says that a DBs best college position may be TE? He is listed at 6'2'' 200 lbs. That is just poor reporting. Trying to create a news story is more important that reporting news sometimes.

I think he's talking about Christian Ochei.
Yep thats him. He was D1 at a better school than Walsh. If college coaches were going to Walsh all the time someone would have scooped him up. He was a very talented kid. Likely tumbleweeds blowing during college recruiting time him over there.

Yep thats him. He was D1 at a better school than Walsh. If college coaches were going to Walsh all the time someone would have scooped him up. He was a very talented kid. Likely tumbleweeds blowing during college recruiting time him over there.
The jury's still out on him. He's only a freshman at Notre Dame College. If he light's it up at the NCAA D2 level and maybe transfers D1 then you could be right. You can certainly argue that camps are where many offers are made and high school doesn't matter as much as most people assume. OSU, Michigan, and Notre Dame have had many star players from Ohio over the years in the lower division high schools.

Let's face it Walsh wasn't a destination place for high school football players for the Class of 2022 and 2023. The fact that Walsh is 20-6 the last 2 seasons despite not having one D1 commit speaks volumes to the coaching under Nick Alexander and his staff.

The jury's still out on him. He's only a freshman at Notre Dame College. If he light's it up at the NCAA D2 level and maybe transfers D1 then you could be right. You can certainly argue that camps are where many offers are made and high school doesn't matter as much as most people assume. OSU, Michigan, and Notre Dame have had many star players from Ohio over the years in the lower division high schools.

Let's face it Walsh wasn't a destination place for high school football players for the Class of 2022 and 2023. The fact that Walsh is 20-6 the last 2 seasons despite not having one D1 commit speaks volumes to the coaching under Nick Alexander and his staff.
You think that has something to do with the easy schedule? They really only had one quality win this year.

This article avoids any discussion that high school kids aren't getting looks due to the portal. Everyone of these guys are borderline D1 guys who will have to take a shot at a D2 school and hope to transfer up. Each misses huge metrics that big schools are looking for. Sperling is elite and Big schools had zero interest. Kid had great speed but not elite for a 180lb back. METRICS.
Most of them aren’t borderline D1 kids, that’s the problem with the article. My guess is most will be playing D3 next year if they want to continue playing. By the way there isn’t anything wrong with that either.

Ty Hurst from Tallmadge signed with Clarion University in Pennsylvania. They compete in NCAA Division II.