A Simple Solution To The Competitive Balance Issue

Would you list the top 8 superpower cheaters who would form the Open Division in Ohio? No use intimating - name them.

According to the formula - The Ohio Maxpreps top 8 are Massillon, Ed, Hoban, TCC, Glenville, Moeller, Marion Local, Avon. That would be our new open division. The rest, I assume, would compete for D1-D7 titles.

According to the formula - The Ohio Maxpreps top 8 are Massillon, Ed, Hoban, TCC, Glenville, Moeller, Marion Local, Avon. That would be our new open division. The rest, I assume, would compete for D1-D7 titles.
Hmmmm. I wonder how many of those teams would trade in the five rounds it takes to reach the championship game in their current divisions for a two game path?

The rankings would have to be end of Week 10 rankings and the top eight would be fluid every year and if one of the eight opts to compete in their normal division then #9 is invited and you keep going until you have eight teams willing to do the open division tourney. If you can’t get eight by the end of Saturday night after the regular season to agree, everyone just gets dumped into their normal division playoffs and no open championship that season.

Hmmmm. I wonder how many of those teams would trade in the five rounds it takes to reach the championship game in their current divisions for a two game path?

The rankings would have to be end of Week 10 rankings and the top eight would be fluid every year and if one of the eight opts to compete in their normal division then #9 is invited and you keep going until you have eight teams willing to do the open division tourney. If you can’t get eight by the end of Saturday night after the regular season to agree, everyone just gets dumped into their normal division playoffs and no open championship that season.

I don't see how it works if you allow teams to opt out. Ie. If TCC and Glenville could simply opt for D4 & D3 then that defeats the whole purpose, no?

If no opt out, it would certainly force ML (and maybe others) to schedule way up and absorb a couple losses to lower their ranking cuz they'd have no prayer vs. Ed or Hoban. I don't know enough about Florida football to know how comparable the dynamics there are with Ohio. Personally as a Massillon fan I would not mind either way cuz assuming TCC goes back to D2 (a safe bet) Ed is the only additional hurdle and we've proven able to compete w/ them.

Question though: Minus Massillon, TCC, Hoban, Avon, and the top ranked R8, would that make the D2 Title a participation trophy?

I don't see how it works if you allow teams to opt out. Ie. If TCC and Glenville could simply opt for D4 & D3 then that defeats the whole purpose, no?

If no opt out, it would certainly force ML (and maybe others) to schedule way up and absorb a couple losses to lower their ranking cuz they'd have no prayer vs. Ed or Hoban. I don't know enough about Florida football to know how comparable the dynamics there are with Ohio. Personally as a Massillon fan I would not mind either way cuz assuming TCC goes back to D2 (a safe bet) Ed is the only additional hurdle and we've proven able to compete w/ them.

Question though: Minus Massillon, TCC, Hoban, Avon, and the top ranked R8, would that make the D2 Title a participation trophy?
Yes, there is certainly the danger of really watering down the titles in some divisions.

The opt out is there for the schools that might not want the challenge of being in the open division in a given year, or simply feel overmatched in that division, as maybe a Marion Local would drawing Massillon or Ed's.

I don't really see the need for it, but it is interesting fodder and probably could be done....however, the season for these schools would end much sooner than they are used to now and that takes away a huge advantage of having your team playing additional games and practicing for several more weeks each season. That's a hidden factor of yearly success for the programs that go deep every year. The entire program, freshmen and up, gets five or six additional weeks of practice and development each year.

Yes, there is certainly the danger of really watering down the titles in some divisions.

The opt out is there for the schools that might not want the challenge of being in the open division in a given year, or simply feel overmatched in that division, as maybe a Marion Local would drawing Massillon or Ed's.

I don't really see the need for it, but it is interesting fodder and probably could be done....however, the season for these schools would end much sooner than they are used to now and that takes away a huge advantage of having your team playing additional games and practicing for several more weeks each season. That's a hidden factor of yearly success for the programs that go deep every year. The entire program, freshmen and up, gets five or six additional weeks of practice and development each year.

Good point. If we added yet another division you'd think OHSAA would eliminate a round or 2 but I doubt it knowing them. Actually they could eliminate whole division or 2 also.

Good point. If we added yet another division you'd think OHSAA would eliminate a round or 2 but I doubt it knowing them. Actually they could eliminate whole division or 2 also.
I left that off, actually. I would use it as an opportunity to reduce divisions from seven to five and eliminate a round.

That's great, but invader03 wrote:

We need all the superpower cheaters to get rewarded with rings.

And I asked for a list of the specific "cheaters," so that they could be exposed on Yappi.

That's great, but invader03 wrote:

We need all the superpower cheaters to get rewarded with rings.

And I asked for a list of the specific "cheaters," so that they could be exposed on Yappi.

That would be WAY too long of a list, Lol. Ask for his Top 10 non-cheaters.

How's about every team which has never won a title gets the opportunity to play in a special Virgin Division, thereby ensuring at least one popped cherry every season.

No matter what they do, I can’t picture a mediocre team winning a title.
I'll admit to overkill on the word choice, but it is fact that under just.here's plan, the most likely D7 champion would have been Minster, who lost to the actual champion by 35 and 21. I'm not sure why people (not you) think the "solution" to the "problem" is to penalize success. MSML has no inherent advantage over the field. Perhaps the focus should be on the field getting better.

I'll admit to overkill on the word choice, but it is fact that under just.here's plan, the most likely D7 champion would have been Minster, who lost to the actual champion by 35 and 21. I'm not sure why people (not you) think the "solution" to the "problem" is to penalize success. MSML has no inherent advantage over the field. Perhaps the focus should be on the field getting better.
Bingo, penalizing success is a growing problem in these United States. Let’s not do it to our young folks.

Over 70% of schools have open enrollment. You think they should all be in 2 divisions? That's a brilliant idea. Or how about just get better and quit whining about "cheaters".
Whining is just what we hear in Georgia as well. Only thing IS though, there are NO privates in 7A football in Georgia. :rolleyes::LOL::ROFLMAO: Benedictine was supposed to be the baddest team in Georgia 4A football this season. Having access to a population of about 600,000 in Savannah metro, plus lower state South Carolina around Hilton Head. And they were BLASTED by three scores by a PUBLIC school in round three of five. In fact, there is but ONE private school in Georgia, who is nationally ranked. And that is a team in Northwest Georgia, who plays in a N.C. private school league. And doesn't even play many GHSA schools. They beat middling Langston Hughes by three points.

A school like Avon also has a structural competitive advantage over the vast majority of schools in D2.
What does THAT even mean? Buford has every advantage known to modern man. And draws from 2,000,000 in metro Atlanta. And they lost in round three of five in GHSA 7A!

Bingo, penalizing success is a growing problem in these United States. Let’s not do it to our young folks.
SOOOOOO, your solution would be to have metro ATL Buford in Class 5A, to remain in that classification, bludgeoning their opposition who draw their enrollments from 20-25,000 population? Conversely, Buford, with virtually the SAME enrollment went from Class SINGLE A, to Class 5A, over a period of three decades. And won essentially 80% of the state championships in their particular division during that time. But THEN, the GHSA FINALLY came to their senses, and instituted a 3X multiplier to force Buford into the highest classification(7A) because they drew 30% of their enrollment from transfers from out of zone. They had been talking crap for decades about BUFORD UNIVERSITY. And how they won just because they did EVERYTHING better than their opponents. WELL sir, long story short. B.U. hasn't made the 7A semifinals, in their brief two year stay in GHSA 7A, the BADEST league on the planet. (eight GHSA 7A schools, have finished the season, ranked in the Top 100) And Buford is essentially a private school playing in a public school league. They finished this season with two losses, and 25 players ranked in the top 300 of the country, in grades 9-12. Including three in the top twenty five.

SOOOOOO, your solution would be to have metro ATL Buford in Class 5A, to remain in that classification, bludgeoning their opposition who draw their enrollments from 20-25,000 population? Conversely, Buford, with virtually the SAME enrollment went from Class SINGLE A, to Class 5A, over a period of three decades. And won essentially 80% of the state championships in their particular division during that time. But THEN, the GHSA FINALLY came to their senses, and instituted a 3X multiplier to force Buford into the highest classification(7A) because they drew 30% of their enrollment from transfers from out of zone. They had been talking crap for decades about BUFORD UNIVERSITY. And how they won just because they did EVERYTHING better than their opponents. WELL sir, long story short. B.U. hasn't made the 7A semifinals, in their brief two year stay in GHSA 7A, the BADEST league on the planet. (eight GHSA 7A schools, have finished the season, ranked in the Top 100) And Buford is essentially a private school playing in a public school league. They finished this season with two losses, and 25 players ranked in the top 300 of the country, in grades 9-12. Including three in the top twenty five.
Actually what Buford GA does doesn’t really interest me. No disrespect intended but I don’t follow GA, hs football

You last phrase says it all. "Anyone that thinks Hoban doesn't have a structural competitive advantage over other D2s like Nordonia or North Royalton is blind." Just like those who don't think Massillon and Toledo CC and Ursuline don't have a structural advantage over their divisions as well. " But those supporters go ballistic when you say they should bump up a division like crybabies. They like to punch down and bully lower programs and hate idea of playing someone with same advantages...Hint recruiters and cheaters.
WHAT is the meaning of this competitive advantage? My high school is twenty five miles from ANYWHERE in rural Southwest Georgia. And until we were BLASTED 39-37 by a Milton team who is playing Tuesday, in the 7A State Championship, against #16 Walton. We were ranked #12 in the NATION with LOCAL talent. But the Northern bias REALLY sticks it to the Georgia teams. We had five 7A teams in the top twenty five, two weeks ago. And NOW, four of those have fallen FORTY SPOTS because we cannibalize each other in the 7A playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
WHAT is the meaning of this competitive advantage? My high school is twenty five miles from ANYWHERE in rural Southwest Georgia. And until we were BLASTED 39-37 by a Milton team who is playing Tuesday, in the 7A State Championship, against #16 Walton. We were ranked #12 in the NATION with LOCAL talent. But the Northern bias REALLY sticks it two the Georgia teams. We had five 7A teams in the top twenty five, two weeks ago. And NOW, four of those have fallen FORTY SPOTS because we cannibalize each other in the 7A playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who plays a title game on a tuesday? Lol.

Must be the day the swap meet is closed.

Ed's was without their QB and several kids were ill. So penalize Massillon ? Ed's lost to Massillon, should they drol to D2 ?
I'm still trying to rap my head around the thought that a DII team could EVER be ranked in the top sixteen of the country, after having beaten a nobody by a 7-2 score. And MIGHTY St. Eds beat a FIVE loss team in the BIG SCHOOL finals?

Who plays a title game on a tuesday? Lol.

Must be the day the swap meet is closed.
The ones who play in an NFL DOMED STADIUM! One of the reasons why that l am an Eagles, and not a FALCON fan. HELL, we were relegated to playing weekday games in a crappy lil 25,000 seat Georgia State Stadium until THIS season. I guess SOMEBODY shamed Arthur Blank into coming off that $600,000 rental fee.

Actually what Buford GA does doesn’t really interest me. No disrespect intended but I don’t follow GA, hs football
WELL, perhaps you SHOULD. Since you lads proclaim that Ohio is the creme de la creme of NATIONAL high school football. Only thing IS though, Ohio has five nationally ranked teams, while Georgia has TWELVE. And Cali, Texas, and Florida, each have more than FIFTEEN! :rolleyes: And Georgia has by far, the smallest population of those three.

And I was merely pointing out the point that certain schools do have distinct advantages, BUT. It takes MORE, especially in Georgia, to GETRDONE in the big leagues of GHSA 7A football! HECK, the #1 ranked team in 6A football in Georgia (#88 nationally) is ranked TENTH in the state. 6A would be Div. II in Ohio.

Last edited:
The ones who play in an NFL DOMED STADIUM! One of the reasons why that l am an Eagles, and not a FALCON fan. HELL, we were relegated to playing weekday games in a crappy lil 25,000 seat Georgia State Stadium until THIS season. I guess SOMEBODY shamed Arthur Blank into coming off that $600,000 rental fee.
Lol. Ok, I'd rather play in a gravel parking lot with broken glass on a weekend than play in an NFL stadium on a Tuesday.

Has nothing to do with trophy's. Has to do with level playing field. Dont even call the bottom 2 divisions state champions. Call them conselation brackets. But since we have the same 4 teams winning all the state titles and many have a huge unfair advantage (Recruiting Eds or open enrollment Glenville) , put all cheaters in same division because state does not enforce recruiting rules anyway. Play someone on your level instead of punching down.
Exactly. Not so much who these Private schools include as much as they exclude.
Just for sheeeaaats and giggles. Schools in the GHSA, especially in South Georgia, have remedied that issue. They have created career academies, to weed out those who don't fit the academic and/or athletic criteria of a given school. Thus leaving the creme, and creating another entity to alleviate those issues. And reducing the total enrollment of the mother school. It has worked WONDERFULLY with two previous members of Region 1-7A, Ware Co., (hometown of Burt Reynolds) and Coffee Co., alma mater of Tyreek Hill) The career academies reduce enrollment in those schools, to where Ware Co. won the 6A State Championship LAST season. While Coffee High will be playing Woodward Academy in the 5A State Championship next week.

Last edited:
Lol. Ok, I'd rather play in a gravel parking lot with broken glass on a weekend than play in an NFL stadium on a Tuesday.
And I'd rather play three national top twenty five ranked teams in a row, on the road. Like we did when we won the 2015 National Championship. Than play in that snow covered crap you boys encounter in Ohio.o_O;)

Pettiburn, I MIGHT like you a LOT, if I ever met you on the street. Until you opened that BIG FAT MOUF of yours. :ROFLMAO:

As an aside, can you picture in your mind's eye, a high school game being pushed back, because of a later start due to OT from one or two previous games. And the stadium cleanup crew having from maybe 12:00am til about 11:00am the next day, to get the venue ready to go for a 1:00pm kick off. THAT, plus that damn soccer team (ATL United) seems to garner priority on SATURDAY NIGHT as well. And we have TEN CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES.

Last edited:
I've never been such a claim made on this board, but keep knocking down those strawmen.
WELL, while it may NOT have been YOU, per se'. There was a poll conducted on this heah forum, proclaiming Ohio the CREME de la CREME of the UNIVERSE! I apologize for singling YOU personally out on this topic.