2024 WBL talk

Probably because they've already played three times and are 0-3 against the Flyers. Wapak's probably tired of losing their week one game. They're also under no obligation to continue the series. It's common with football scheduling to do a home-and-home or limited series and then move on.
I feel it probably really does have to do with losing those games. I think playing a state championship caliber program helps prepare them for the rest of the season. However, I remember when I played for Moyer, TCC reached out to us for a Week 1 game but we ended up declining. I wonder if they only scheduled Marion Local for these past 3 years because they couldn’t find another quality opponent. It almost paid off for them this past year, but you can never expect a win against ML.

For those that don't have twitter, the post says: Shawnee is set to hire Shane Wireman as their school’s head football coach.Wireman held a 48-34 record in 8 seasons with Waynesfield, who have had back-to-back 10-0 seasons, both ending with NWCC titles.

I was told Saturday the Grant Jolly is not playing football this coming year concentrating on Baseball
Wapak had their starting QB a few years ago do this. He ended up putting on a bunch of weight, had a poor senior season, got a couple DI scholarships pulled, and ended up going DII. He would have been the clear cut best QB in the WBL that year too and Wapak ended up having one of their worst seasons without him. Hopefully this is just a rumor!

Honestly this is probably the worst thing you can do if you want to get recruited. College programs love multi-sport athletes.
He is already committed to NC State. His mindset is probably he doesn't need football anymore, doesn't want to get hurt and lose his spot. But these kids don't understand you can get hurt playing baseball too!

He is already committed to NC State. His mindset is probably he doesn't need football anymore, doesn't want to get hurt and lose his spot. But these kids don't understand you can get hurt playing baseball too!
Gotcha, well the way i see it is this is basically the equivalent of college athletes sitting out bowl games before they go to the NFL. I find it kind of stupid but that's just one man's opinion.

Good point. However, you are obviously much more likely to get injured playing football compared to baseball. Instead of going through baseball conditioning, he had to rehab that ankle after the season ended. I get both sides. It’s really depends on what he wants. He could easily be an all state player in football and compete for another WBL title and potentially a deep run in the playoffs. If that’s not worth risking the start of your college baseball career then I get it, to each their own.

See, baseball in general is a totally different animal. If you want to get recruited you have to be playing and going to camps all summer. Then football practice starts August. Where's the down time? Where's the time off? I get and agree that multi sport athletes are wanted and that you're only in high school once....but when do these kids get to enjoy their summer?

Add in that he's already committed to a big school (and with that comes likely draft talk)....why risk a game changing injury in football? Bad enough going out and needing Tommy John or something playing baseball.

I can see both sides. You only have 4 years to compete for your school with your friends....but one hit could end his dreams. I wish the kid well with the decision he made.

Those has nothing to do with football, but did anyone notice or know why the league never rotated the schedule for basketball this year like they do with football? We've played St. Marys before Christmas and Wapak end of the season 3 straight years now.

Wapak had their starting QB a few years ago do this. He ended up putting on a bunch of weight, had a poor senior season, got a couple DI scholarships pulled, and ended up going DII. He would have been the clear cut best QB in the WBL that year too and Wapak ended up having one of their worst seasons without him. Hopefully this is just a rumor!
Yhea he was the starting QB when Moyer's win streak came to a end at St marys

Gotcha, well the way i see it is this is basically the equivalent of college athletes sitting out bowl games before they go to the NFL. I find it kind of stupid but that's just one man's opinion.
If he gets injured and tears up a knee their goes the baseball scholly (possibly). Jeff Hartings decent bball player did not play bball his sr. year to concentrate on football. ML has had players not play bball or football to concentrate on baseball or track. One player esp. in football and a wr. to boot not going to make that much of a difference maybe more on defense than offense.

If he gets injured and tears up a knee their goes the baseball scholly (possibly). Jeff Hartings decent bball player did not play bball his sr. year to concentrate on football. ML has had players not play bball or football to concentrate on baseball or track.
Youre probably right in grand scheme but with todays tech, recovery time from an ACL is less than a year. Not as big deal as in the past. Many major leaguers have torn their UCL 2x and have excellent careers. In relation to ML, may I ask who? In recent memory I can't think of anyone that was a starter sitting out the football season to concentrate on baseball or track.

Youre probably right in grand scheme but with todays tech, recovery time from an ACL is less than a year. Not as big deal as in the past. Many major leaguers have torn their UCL 2x and have excellent careers. In relation t, may I ask who? In recent memory I can't think of anyone that was a starter sitting out the football season to concentrate on baseball or track.
There is a kid this year who didn't go out for football to concentrate on baseball. Big kid (built like a tank) who likely would have played a lot if not start this past year and most definitely IMO would start this coming year.
Edit: However, one player except maybe QB is not going to make that big of a difference.

There is a kid this year who didn't go out for football to concentrate on baseball. Big kid (built like a tank) who likely would have played a lot if not start this past year and most definitely IMO would start this coming year.
Edit: However, one player except maybe QB is not going to make that big of a difference.
I think I know who you're talking about. Yeah he could have quit to focus on baseball but I wouldn't be shocked if he quit because he just didn't like it because if we're thinking of the same kid then he was in a winter sport this year.

I think I know who you're talking about. Yeah he could have quit to focus on baseball but I wouldn't be shocked if he quit because he just didn't like it because if we're thinking of the same kid then he was in a winter sport this year.
Fall baseball, don't think there is winter baseball in Ohio.

Fall baseball, don't think there is winter baseball in Ohio.
He was on the swimming team if we're thinking of the same person and yeah probably played fall ball in place of football. I'm just not convinced he quit to "focus" on a sport as he would do strictly baseball training in the winter as well. Perhaps he did though, I guess we'll have to ask him.

Regardless, it's just semantics. I don't think fear of injury should be a deterrent to playing sports with todays medicine. You can tear your ACL playing with the dog in the backyard.

Last edited:
The WBL winter sports champions have been crowned:

Boys Basketball -- Ottawa-Glandorf
Girls Basketball -- Ottawa-Glandorf
Boys Bowling -- St Marys Memorial
Girls Bowling -- St Marys Memorial
Boys Swimming -- Shawnee
Girls Swimming -- Ottawa-Glandorf
Wrestling -- Wapakoneta

O-G just on fire this winter. The Titans almost won the boys swimming title too. They're making a strong case for the All Sports Trophy.

Good luck to the Lady Titans as they play for the DIII state title this afternoon against Columbus Africentric. And then again later this evening as the boys team takes on Margaretta at BGSU for the regional title. Ottawa-Glandorf basketball is just a beast of a program. Best of luck!

The WBL winter sports champions have been crowned:

Boys Basketball -- Ottawa-Glandorf
Girls Basketball -- Ottawa-Glandorf
Boys Bowling -- St Marys Memorial
Girls Bowling -- St Marys Memorial
Boys Swimming -- Shawnee
Girls Swimming -- Ottawa-Glandorf
Wrestling -- Wapakoneta

O-G just on fire this winter. The Titans almost won the boys swimming title too. They're making a strong case for the All Sports Trophy.
OG won girls soccer and girls CC with high finishes in tennis and volleyball too.

I think Celina has a decent shot at top 3, but low finishes in girls basketball and girls soccer will not help. Spring season will be interesting as Celina and OG girls track has gone back and forth for years.

OHSAA enrollment figures - boys only

Bath 198
Celina 299
Defiance 288
Elida 243
Kenton 215
OG 221
St Marys 262
Shawnee 321
Van Wert 240
Wapak 342
For kicks, here is enrollment from 2015

Bath 209
Celina 305
Defiance 315
Elida 302
Kenton 218
OG 188
Shawnee 266
St Marys 264
Van Wert 197
Wapak 331

Looking back only 8-9 years is not a complete picture of enrollment. I can tell you Van Wert is not growing like that, if anything they have brought back some open enrollment from Lincolnview as that district has around 300 open enrolled from primarily Van Wert. I would also suspect open enrollment in the Elida/Shawnee swings. Most others are not big swings, pretty natural. Now looking back 15 or 20 years could paint different pictures.

for those looking for numerical order

Wapak 342
Shawnee 321
Celina 299
Defiance 288
St Marys 262
Elida 243
Van Wert 240
OG 221
Kenton 215
Bath 198
Are these the base enrollment numbers from ODE normally taken in the fall, then adjusted with the CB going into the 24-25 school year?