2024 Open / Unknowns V3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
For New Bremen, I was actually looking at Warren JFK. I'm pretty sure they played in the finals one year. Obviously neither are at that level right now but seems like a decent matchup minus the distance
It says Cleveland JFK. Is Warren JFK actually open in week 2?

Canfield is 0-0-1 against Steubenville according to an old Canfield Football website that was last accessible around 2011 or so.
They played sometime in the 1920's or 1910's I think.
Were they operating under a different name back then? If they played in the 10s or 20s, it was a scrimmage; all of Steubenville's schedules and results are posted. Steubenville doesn't have them on the books for anything in the regular season or playoffs.

Were they operating under a different name back then? If they played in the 10s or 20s, it was a scrimmage; all of Steubenville's schedules and results are posted. Steubenville doesn't have them on the books for anything in the regular season or playoffs.
Maybe it isn't listed if it wasn't an 11 man game, or perhaps Steubenville considered it a scrimmage or some other type of non-official contest and Canfield didn't. In some of those seasons Canfield only played 3, 4 or 5 games if I am not mistaken.

Canfield's original name is something like Northeast Ohio Normal College and it started out as a school where men went to become teachers and educators I think, but that name likely predates the football team.

Was curious so I looked. Didn't find any Steubenville-Canfield stuff, but I did see that from 1922-1936 Steubenville went 115-13-4. Holy Smokes!

From 1922-1936 Steubenville went 115-13-4. Holy Smokes!
That win percentage is slightly greater than their 2003–2017 record of 182–25. But from 2003 to 2017, Steubenville played like the Struthers and Norwalk All Stars combined (Struthers bowling, not football).

Ten regional championships, three state runners-up, and three state championships.

Updates 3/10 - 3/16
Week 1

Cleveland VASJ @ Canton GlenOak
Marion Local @ Linton-Stockton (IN)
McKeesport (PA) vs. Uniontown Lake - @ Woodland Hills (PA)

Week 3
Eastmoor Academy @ Canton South (Saturday)

Week 4
Dayton Dunbar @ Huron

Week 6
Cleveland John F. Kennedy @ Uniontown Lake

Week 7
Cincinnati Shroder @ Cincinnati Gamble Montessori - From Week 10

Last edited:
Updates 3/10 - 3/16
Week 1

Marion Local @ Linton-Stockton (IN)

Linton-Stockton: This decade
2023: 10-2
2022: 13-1
2021: 10-1
2020: 8-4
Overall: 41-8

Distance between Linton, IN & Maria Stein, OH: 211 miles
-By comparison, Maria Stein is 198 miles from Canton.

NOTE- Marion Local owns the nation's longest active winning streak at 48 games.

Interesting match-up!

Linton-Stockton: This decade
2023: 10-2
2022: 13-1
2021: 10-1
2020: 8-4
Overall: 41-8

Distance between Linton, IN & Maria Stein, OH: 211 miles
-By comparison, Maria Stein is 198 miles from Canton.

NOTE- Marion Local owns the nation's longest active winning streak at 48 games.

Interesting match-up!
Hoban was scheduled to play this school Linton last year and the game was canceled. Everyone said Hoban would have destroyed them as this is a small school.

Updates 3/24 - 3/30:

Week 1

Pine-Richland (PA) @ Hilliard Davidson

Week 2
Beaver Area (PA) @ Cardinal Mooney - Could have a misunderstanding of a date
Cardinal Mooney @ Cleveland VASJ - Cancelled

Week 3

Kipp Columbus @ Cincinnati McNicholas
Painesville Riverside @ Erie Cathedral Prep (PA)
Richmond (IN) @ London

Week 4
Canisius (NY) @ Massillon Washington

Week 6
Huntington St. Joseph's (WV) @ Rock Hill - Cancelled
Rock Hill @ Belpre

Week 7
Football North (ON) @ Massillon Washington

Last edited:
Updates 3/24 - 3/30:

Week 1

Pine-Richland (PA) @ Hilliard Davidson

Week 2
Beaver Area (PA) @ Cardinal Mooney - Could have a misunderstanding of a date
Cardinal Mooney @ Cleveland VASJ - Cancelled

Week 3

Richmond (IN) @ London

Week 4
Canisius (NY) @ Massillon Washington

Week 6
Huntington St. Joseph's (WV) @ Rock Hill - Cancelled
Rock Hill @ Belpre

Week 7
Football North (ON) @ Massillon Washington
Week 2 Beaver Area vs. Mooney, misunderstanding like Friday/Saturday game or misunderstanding like, wrong weekends??

Updates 3/31 - 4/6:

Week 10

St. Frances Academy (MD) @ Cincinnati Moeller

I see that SFA just went 5-6 against a pretty rough schedule. Losses to Buford (GA), Chaminade-Madonna (FL), East St. Louis (IL), St. John Bosco (CA), Mater Dei (CA), & IMG (FL). Previously in 2022, they finished 9-1 with wins over the likes of ESL (IL), DeSoto (TX), Kahuku (HI), etc. with their one loss to IMG. In 2021, they went 8-1 with wins over the likes of IMG (FL), De La Salle (CA), Our Lady of Good Councel (MD), etc. with their lone loss to St. Thomas Aquinas (FL).

Learning about OOS programs is always interesting.

I see that SFA just went 5-6 against a pretty rough schedule. Losses to Buford (GA), Chaminade-Madonna (FL), East St. Louis (IL), St. John Bosco (CA), Mater Dei (CA), & IMG (FL). Previously in 2022, they finished 9-1 with wins over the likes of ESL (IL), DeSoto (TX), Kahuku (HI), etc. with their one loss to IMG. In 2021, they went 8-1 with wins over the likes of IMG (FL), De La Salle (CA), Our Lady of Good Councel (MD), etc. with their lone loss to St. Thomas Aquinas (FL).

Learning about OOS programs is always interesting.
I call those measuring sticks. We all know who the good team in Ohio are, but how does Ohio fair against the rest of the country?

I call those measuring sticks. We all know who the good team in Ohio are, but how does Ohio fair against the rest of the country?
If I recall in the past when they had the showcase games between Ohio's best teams vs powerhouse teams from other states it was pretty much split 50/50. I feel Ohio is one of the top states for high school football and the top teams Massillon, Hoban, StEds, Moeller, Toledo Central Catholic etc, could go toe to toe most years with the top teams in California,Texas, Florida etc.

Agreed. Over the years, the Cincinnati area has represented Ohio very well, so I'm confident that Moe will do the same.

Massillon will be the one to keep an eye on this fall. Bergen Catholic (NJ) & DeMatha (MD) with potentially two more OOS powerhouses on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.